HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holmgren on Pronger, Jagr, JVR & Betts

Old
01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Holmgren on Pronger, Jagr, JVR & Betts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=5819

I don't know how to post sections, sorry.

Basically states that he is a glass half-full kind of guy and that Pronger is really struggling on a daily basis, very very doubtful he returns this year (we pretty much already knew that)

Mentions talks with Jagr and his agent to bring him back next year.

States JVR had a good workout today and didnt feel any ill effects from his concussion.

States that Betts returning this year isnt going to happen, that his knee has been unresponsive to treatment, that he was on the ice today and it did not go well. He will be looking for at providing Betts an opportunity with the club in a new capacity. He does not yet know that capacity or what it could be.

Enjoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOD EDIT:

Holmgren on Pronger:
Quote:
"He was prescribed glasses, I think that's helped him a bit," Holmgren said. "He's doing some other stuff, some other treatment regiments. He's seeing the doctors again Feb. 1. We'll have a little better idea where we're at -- or maybe we won't, I don't know. We'll continue to monitor and hope for the best."
Holmgren on JVR:
Quote:
"He did a little better today," Holmgren said. "He worked out today and didn't have any effects."
Holmgren on Betts:
Quote:
"I think it's safe to say he's not going to play this year," Holmgren said. "I don't think Blair is going to be able to play. I don't think he could pass a physical at this point. … He skated yesterday before our meeting and it didn't go very well. His one knee is not going very well, not responding."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-19-2012 at 09:02 PM.
ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Did he mention anything about gauging interest in Ilya Bryzgalov? Or Braydon Coburn?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:49 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Did he mention anything about gauging interest in Ilya Bryzgalov? Or Braydon Coburn?
Haha, no trade talk what so ever.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I'd be okay if we Nodl'd Bryzgalov at this point.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Are you high?

Braydon Coburn is the last person behind giroux and couturier we should be trading.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Are you high?

Braydon Coburn is the last person behind giroux and couturier we should be trading.
Honestly, he's been pretty bad and I'm dreading the fact that he's getting a pay increase to 4.5M. He does nothing particularly well and gets abused by good players (see Tavares tonight). He has size, he has speed, he doesn't really use either one very well.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Are you high?

Have you seen Coburn playing without Timonen? I mean how good is he with out him? Do you know?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris shafer View Post
i'd be okay if we nodl'd bryzgalov at this point.
nmc.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Honestly, he's been pretty bad and I'm dreading the fact that he's getting a pay increase to 4.5M. He does nothing particularly well and gets abused by good players (see Tavares tonight). He has size, he has speed, he doesn't really use either one very well.
Coburn has actually been pretty solid all season. I don't know who you're watching, but Coburn uses his speed very well. He could be more physical, but he's very good at not missing coverages, he has a great stick and he's fast as hell.

I think coby is one of the most under appreciated players on this board.

Plus, why you single out Coburn, while Matt Carle wears a flyers jersey is uncomprehensible.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
MsWoof

I agree that Coburn has not looked good. When Kimmo goes, we're in mega trouble.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Seems like the Flyers will give Betts an organizational job...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/fl...73fd84816.html

Quote:
Betts out

Holmgren said he met with Blair Betts after a recent workout in which it was determined his injured knee is still a big problem. "I think it's safe to say ... I talked with him yesterday, he's having a tough time, not just his knee but (stuff) going on in his life,'' Holmgren said. "I would say it's safe to say he's not going to play this season ... I don't think he would be able to pass a physical.''

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I agree that Coburn has not looked good. When Kimmo goes, we're in mega trouble.
He's been as mediocre as Carle and Meszaros honestly.

They've all been as good or as bad as they ever were.

I really think we're missing Richards and Carter down the middle.

Couturier might need some top 9 time soon.

I notice Briere's line gets pinned more than any other line on our team by the way. It's time he got moved from center.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's been as mediocre as Carle and Meszaros honestly.

They've all been as good or as bad as they ever were.

I really think we're missing Richards and Carter down the middle.

Couturier might need some top 9 time soon.

I notice Briere's line gets pinned more than any other line on our team by the way. It's time he got moved from center.
I think Mez and Coburn have been worse this year, not a ton worse but not better. Briere needs to be put on wing and he also needs to be held accountable for his penalties.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Have you seen Coburn playing without Timonen? I mean how good is he with out him? Do you know?
I saw him be the best player on the ice against Minnesota on Tuesday. Just wish we had that player every night.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Coburn has actually been pretty solid all season. I don't know who you're watching, but Coburn uses his speed very well. He could be more physical, but he's very good at not missing coverages, he has a great stick and he's fast as hell.

I think coby is one of the most under appreciated players on this board.

Plus, why you single out Coburn, while Matt Carle wears a flyers jersey is uncomprehensible.
No, Coburn really hasn't been solid all season. He's been beaten like a mule by good players. Tavares abused the heck out of him tonight and he's only the latest one in a long line. Braydon Coburn is Mr. Softee personified. I swear to god I haven't seen a 6'5 220 lb defenseman that plays like a bigger pansy.

He offers relatively little / nothing offensively, his corsi is bad, and he's been carried around by Kimmo Timonen or his stats would be even worse.

Of the 6 starting defensemen that we have, the only one that you could argue has underperformed what we expected even more is Meszaros. But in all fairness, Meszaros has been anchoring a pairing w/ rookies (Bourdon, Marshall, Gustafsson) for the better part of the year and this shows as he has the lowest Corsi quality of teammates by far. And at least Meszaros lays the wood every now and then and has a rocket shot from the point.

Oh and btw, I know it's trendy to hate on Carle, but he's stepped up huge this year for us. 2nd in points among our defense, 2nd in Corsi, faces the 3rd highest quality of competition, has the 6th highest quality of teammates, etc.

I would gladly trade Coburn straight up for Gleason. And yes, I know that value is terrible for us, but I don't even care. Gleason is better.

I really, really hope we sign Carle to an extension this offseason and ship Coburn off. One because it would be a good use of assets and two because it would improve the team.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
No, Coburn really hasn't been solid all season. He's been beaten like a mule by good players. Tavares abused the heck out of him tonight and he's only the latest one in a long line. Braydon Coburn is Mr. Softee personified. I swear to god I haven't seen a 6'5 220 lb defenseman that plays like a bigger pansy.

He offers relatively little / nothing offensively, his corsi is bad, and he's been carried around by Kimmo Timonen or his stats would be even worse.

Of the 6 starting defensemen that we have, the only one that you could argue has underperformed what we expected even more is Meszaros. But in all fairness, Meszaros has been anchoring a pairing w/ rookies (Bourdon, Marshall, Gustafsson) for the better part of the year and this shows as he has the lowest Corsi quality of teammates by far. And at least Meszaros lays the wood every now and then and has a rocket shot from the point.

Oh and btw, I know it's trendy to hate on Carle, but he's stepped up huge this year for us. 2nd in points among our defense, 2nd in Corsi, faces the 3rd highest quality of competition, has the 6th highest quality of teammates, etc.

I would gladly trade Coburn straight up for Gleason. And yes, I know that value is terrible for us, but I don't even care. Gleason is better.

I really, really hope we sign Carle to an extension this offseason and ship Coburn off. One because it would be a good use of assets and two because it would improve the team.
Tavares abused everyone tonight, including Mez, Kimmo, and most of our forwards. I know you're not basing your opinion solely off of tonight, but it's a bad example to use. I still have a lot of faith in Coburn and hope he can turn into a #1 or #2. Trading him would be foolish. He also lays plenty of wood and has his own bomb of a shot. I also think he's the only one left (with Pronger out) who clears the front of the net. Mez and Carle sure as hell don't, and Kimmo tries but his size only allows for so much.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I saw him be the best player on the ice against Minnesota on Tuesday. Just wish we had that player every night.
Unfortunately playing well against teams like Minnesota does not mean much.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old
01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

COMPLETELY disagree on all accounts.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Unfortunately playing well against teams like Minnesota does not mean much.
Why? Because they're a struggling team? So if we have players who play terrible against Boston, New York, and Vancouver...it doesn't mean anything, because those teams are talented and on fire.

NHL Teams, NHL talent. Every game matters. We learned that tonight.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:22 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Disappointing about Betts. I was really hoping he could come back and help us out at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh, Coburn has been about average. Better defensively than Carle has been but other than that, everything is smack dab in the middle. He has played hard competition, but is always put with the teams best players. According to behindthenet.ca he is almost dead middle on everything except sv% which is only higher than Carle's.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
we need to see more motivated and angry Coburn. not enough of that this year IMO
I am scared to death where this defensive group would be without Timonen.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we need to see more motivated and angry Coburn. not enough of that this year IMO
I am scared to death where this defensive group would be without Timonen.
Absolutely terrible. I don't trust anybody here not named Timonen to match up with the best players in the league, and I trust our goaltenders to help the defense about as much. Bryz...absolutely not. Bob...not yet. Not in a starting role.

01-20-2012, 02:21 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Absolutely terrible. I don't trust anybody here not named Timonen to match up with the best players in the league, and I trust our goaltenders to help the defense about as much. Bryz...absolutely not. Bob...not yet. Not in a starting role.
Leighton?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Why? Because they're a struggling team? So if we have players who play terrible against Boston, New York, and Vancouver...it doesn't mean anything, because those teams are talented and on fire.
NHL Teams, NHL talent. Every game matters. We learned that tonight.
wtf does it mean, it does not mean anything? I say it matters when our highly paid top 4 d-men plays crappy game against top teams.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.