HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Den/Basement/Man Cave

Old
01-10-2012, 08:52 AM
GloveSave35

vCash: 500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

Excessive?

The room is small. Maybe 10x12. Our basement is unfinished so until that happens, this little den will have to do. We live in Ohio and don't get nearly enough NYR in our lives. So this would be our haven.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
Thats me. I can't resist posting my pictures whenever this comes up... lots of NYR stuff here... some signed, some not. The Blues and Avalanche stools are (were) my mens league teams (we have changed our jerseys since)...

Some of your pics are on this site:
http://www.barplan.com/photos/photos_1.htm

You guys have inspired me. I'm looking for plans to build a bar now!

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
thesnake

Quote:
you have a DigDug machine?! talk about badassery! wow. really really sweet cave you have.
Thanks, DigDug is sick right now... I've got to get some time to trouble shoot that one... the Funhouse has recently had its flippers rebuilt, and the Donkey Kong was recently restored. The Galaga just got a new power cord...

Quote:
That's absolutely badazz. A few years ago someone posted the "plans" to make that online, is that how you saw it? The one I saw used all NHL game pucks, but if I'm not mistaken it looks like you have a good mix of all sorts of pucks in there (pic makes it tough to see). How long did it take you to make that thing?
Well, I got the plans from barplan.com. They were for a generic 8 foot bar with a built in kegerator... but I dropped the kegerator (that is next on my shopping list) and modified the plans to include my special puck top. That idea was original to me as far as I know.

The pucks are set into a piece of plywood with holes cut in it. I didnt want them to have a full inch of height because the 2 part epoxy I poured over them (envrotex I believe) was very expensive ($60/gal?)

The pucks are a mix of minor league pucks (I bought a mixed lot from officialgamepuck.com) one pratice puck I caught at MSG in the 90's, and some other ones I bought on ebay.

Honestly I'm not quite sure how long it took to build. I spent a lot of time just thinking about it... I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to pull off the bartop, so that took a bit of time.

Quote:
the hockey sticks on that bar don't actually support any weight right?

Like it's sticks attached to a wooden frame.
The sticks are purely cosmetic. They are actually half sticks that have been ripped on the table saw lengthwise. I thought for sure I was going to lose a finger doing that... I built a jig for the table saw to rip them. That doubled the number of sticks that I had, and made them not stick out as much.

Quote:
Some of your pics are on this site:
http://www.barplan.com/photos/photos_1.htm

You guys have inspired me. I'm looking for plans to build a bar now!
Yeah, thats where I got my base plans... thats a good site to start at if you are building your own bar. If anyone has any questions or needs advice in building their bar, I'm happy to talk it thru with you.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I would personally go for something of a pub-style mancave, with a healthy dose of NYR/hockey memorabilia thrown in. The mancaves that are almost exclusively focused on one team seem cheesy and over-the-top to me. I would love to have a room with dark varnished clap-board going halfway up the wall, an earthy shade of paint for the top half, with some leather couches/chairs, wet bar, dart board, foosball/air hockey, and a gargantuan TV.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!

But seriously, spot on what I want, except a pool table instead of foosball.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Dude, I have the same exact deal going!

I get married in August of this year, but I have no idea when we'll be ready to buy a home. I have only 2 things that I want in a home. One, is obviously a mancave. The other is a hot tub on the back patio, with a flatscreen inside on a swivel mount so that I can turn it to the exterior window and watch NYR and NYG games from the hot tub when it's frigid outside, beer in hand, of course. If I can get those 2 things, I'll be a happy man for the rest of my days.
That makes me 3! But mine is a man cave, not a Rangers man cave. I told her I just want to basement to be a place I can watch the games, and hang all my sports memorabilia, which is currently just in boxes. Unfortunately she didn't want the signed Gretzky picture hanging over our bed in the apartment.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Pics? Very curious to see these

the rod hockey table fits into the table from the feet. It sinks into it so it doesnt move. Ill post up the entrance to the mancave in a sec

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Thanks, DigDug is sick right now... I've got to get some time to trouble shoot that one... the Funhouse has recently had its flippers rebuilt, and the Donkey Kong was recently restored. The Galaga just got a new power cord...

Well, I got the plans from barplan.com. They were for a generic 8 foot bar with a built in kegerator... but I dropped the kegerator (that is next on my shopping list) and modified the plans to include my special puck top. That idea was original to me as far as I know.

The pucks are set into a piece of plywood with holes cut in it. I didnt want them to have a full inch of height because the 2 part epoxy I poured over them (envrotex I believe) was very expensive ($60/gal?)

The pucks are a mix of minor league pucks (I bought a mixed lot from officialgamepuck.com) one pratice puck I caught at MSG in the 90's, and some other ones I bought on ebay.

Honestly I'm not quite sure how long it took to build. I spent a lot of time just thinking about it... I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to pull off the bartop, so that took a bit of time.

The sticks are purely cosmetic. They are actually half sticks that have been ripped on the table saw lengthwise. I thought for sure I was going to lose a finger doing that... I built a jig for the table saw to rip them. That doubled the number of sticks that I had, and made them not stick out as much.

Yeah, thats where I got my base plans... thats a good site to start at if you are building your own bar. If anyone has any questions or needs advice in building their bar, I'm happy to talk it thru with you.
Need to add a Galaga machine to your collection.... Great game.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

theres also signed 8x10s all over the place. Other than that its pretty much just a crap load of video games and my computer

Old
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Need to add a Galaga machine to your collection.... Great game.

There it is... the cocktail table version. That was my favorite growning up.

What I really want is a Dragon's Lair... and about 10 more pinball machines!

Old
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Nice...

Old
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Nice. My original plan for all of my old sticks was to build an adirondack chair... but the bar would get more use, so I went with that

Old
01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:

oh man, when I was living in florida, we used to go to this game place, like a davenbusters , and I had the highscore on that badboy. When I went back last year it was still there!

Old
01-10-2012, 12:27 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

So Ill send you some pics from my floor and living room. Im still not finished, I need a glasscase for my gameworns and some other stuff like 2 pucks and 3 McFarlanes (Richter, Leetch, Bure).

But for now herere the pics:

Floor, 2 frames, 1 Digitalprint-Sticker, foil in the paint:

Living room:

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
oh man, when I was living in florida, we used to go to this game place, like a davenbusters , and I had the highscore on that badboy. When I went back last year it was still there!
About 15 years ago I had been playing Galaga frequently and got so experienced that 1 quarter would last me about 35-40 minutes of game play....

Old
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Mine is in the works, but it is Rangers and Giants. Bought a house last year and we have an extra room. So we planned on turning it into our sports room.

Bought our seats from the old Giants Stadium, along with other signed memorabilia, and a few hockey sticks we have collected over the years, my favorite is Richter's. Its in the works, but cant wait til it is finished.

Edit: To the poster above me, that is awesome.
I did something like that when we bought our house. Had an apartment in it we weren't renting out. I painted it blue, with red trim and hung up all my Rangers and Giants stuff. I did it really quickly and didn't put much time into it, but it turned out OK.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

Excessive?

The room is small. Maybe 10x12. Our basement is unfinished so until that happens, this little den will have to do. We live in Ohio and don't get nearly enough NYR in our lives. So this would be our haven.
I like it. I think it could be excessive depending on what else you have in the room, but as long as your couch/recliner/chairs are not NYR then I think it would like pretty awesome.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

anybody know where to get the "WE WILL WIN TONIGHT" newspaper, about 18x18, online? i have looked everywhere i can (with as little time as i have) and have been coming up empty handed. maybe i just dont know where to look...

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:01 AM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
So Ill send you some pics from my floor and living room. Im still not finished, I need a glasscase for my gameworns and some other stuff like 2 pucks and 3 McFarlanes (Richter, Leetch, Bure).

But for now herere the pics:

Floor, 2 frames, 1 Digitalprint-Sticker, foil in the paint:

Living room:

Good start. I dig the stripes on the wall. I'll be doing something similar in mine. Probably thicker though and blue-red-blue.

I'm looking for display cases too for things like bobble heads, mcfarlanes, cards, pucks. Having a hard time finding anything that isn't super antique-like, super crappy, or super expensive. Anyone have any ideas?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
Good start. I dig the stripes on the wall. I'll be doing something similar in mine. Probably thicker though and blue-red-blue.

I'm looking for display cases too for things like bobble heads, mcfarlanes, cards, pucks. Having a hard time finding anything that isn't super antique-like, super crappy, or super expensive. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks man, I just wanted to keep it decent so thats why the stripes are not that big. In them stand all retired numbers, the cup seasons, broadway blueshirts, New York Rangers & Madison Square Garden.

Ive got the same problem with the display cases. But found today some @ ikea, maybe youll like it too :

Was arround 50,
Ill make some decors in NYR colors @ work and some backgrounds.
The plan is to put in my 2 gamers and 3 McFarlanes and 2 pucks. Should be looking good
Ill post pics when its done!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Pizza

Very cool thread. I'll have to spend some QT going thru this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Thanks man, I just wanted to keep it decent so thats why the stripes are not that big. In them stand all retired numbers, the cup seasons, broadway blueshirts, New York Rangers & Madison Square Garden.

Ive got the same problem with the display cases. But found today some @ ikea, maybe youll like it too :

Was arround 50,
Ill make some decors in NYR colors @ work and some backgrounds.
The plan is to put in my 2 gamers and 3 McFarlanes and 2 pucks. Should be looking good
Ill post pics when its done!
That's perfect! What a great idea! I hadn't even thought of IKEA. But its perfect because the shipping on an already put together case would be insane. Great idea! I'll be ordering one this weekend. Thank you!

Old
01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
nyrmetros

I gotta do something with my basement...

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Thats me. I can't resist posting my pictures whenever this comes up... lots of NYR stuff here... some signed, some not. The Blues and Avalanche stools are (were) my mens league teams (we have changed our jerseys since)...
Omg, you have a Funhouse pinball machine!

rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:42 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Does anyone remmember who the individual was that carved rangers related items via wood?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Does anyone remmember who the individual was that carved rangers related items via wood?
I was actually wondering the same thing a few days ago and I couldn't find anything. I searched "wood," "woodwork," and "carving," but nothing came up.