HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Lavi Thread

Old
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
The Lavi Thread

I feel like we need one.

The Flyers just aren't a well-coached team right now. They just don't seem to have their act together.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
JVR21
G

I agree that he's refusing to make adjustments. Other than that, I think this is a lack-of-#1 dman problem. Homer needs to trade for one, and not wait for the deadline.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:35 PM
bryzgalovsky*

it's about time

everyone else (except the two goaltenders of course) has been blamed

might as well make a thread about the intermission zamboni operator too

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prongo
Beer

Sometimes the onus is on the players... the way they came out to play tonight was pathetic. The coach can teach them all the fundamentals and strategy he wants.. it's on the players to perform and they didn't. Lavy is an excellent coach and knows the team the best. He has and will continue to do a great job.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Giroux and Jagr haven't been able to do anything recently and they still haven't changed it up. Would like Lavi to put Couturier on the 1st line instead of Jagr.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8476
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I wouldn't mind a shakeup of the lines, but besides that he's not the problem at all. No amount of coaching can prevent the brain farts and giving up breakaways that plagued them tonight.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I feel like we need one.

The Flyers just aren't a well-coached team right now. They just don't seem to have their act together.
My favorite part of the broadcast tonight was when JJ pointed out the Flyers have outscored opponents 7-1 this season in 4 on 4 situations. Funny, since you consistently try to rag on Lavy during 4 on 4.

We've got a goalie who has been a complete nightmare. Like, arguably the worst in the NHL this year. Yet, the Flyers are 4 points out of the top spot in the east. Due to the roster turnover, a lot of people on here were predicting them to miss the playoffs altogether, or grab one of the final spots at best... and that was under the assumption we'd have stellar goaltending.

Edit: how could I forget losing Pronger.

Last edited by Totally Radivojevic: 01-19-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
MsWoof

I agree that he's very stubborn and I think we all saw on 24/7 that Torts is just a better coach. I like Lavi but last season he started doing questionable things and it's not like he's changed much this year. I wish he'd move Jagr off the top line for a couple of games and see how someone else does in his spot. But it's not just on Lavi, the players are also responsible as is Holmgren. The team defense is brutal and needs to be addressed. Once the playoffs arrive you're not going to be scoring 4 or 5 goals per game on a consistent basis.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
It's nowhere near that time yet, but I do question his unwillingness to make adjustments in-game until it's too late. He's been showing that since last season.

I think sometimes people forget that we lost all our good defensive forwards in the last two years, lost Pronger, and are relying heavily on 5-6 rookies.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Kaktus*

Lavi is decent head coach for the most part and I do not want to blame this game entirely on him. However, I was annoyed that he did not make adjustments in this one. Number one of course getting Couturier off 4th line (just criminal leaving him with Shelley).
Number two shuffling Talbot Briere Voracek & Hartnell Giroux Jagr lines a little.

Bobrovsky played very well and was giving us chances to win this game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
BringBackStevens

The team has obvious holes and is extremely young in key spots. Ontop of that they have gotten terrible goaltending in a large portion of the games.

People have already forgotten that it was going to be a tough year for this group before the season even started and bryz tanked an the most important player on the roster went down.

My only complaint with lavi is his line combos at times. Read and couturier should play together more and Jagr should be moved away from giroux for a bit

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

My biggest irk with Lavi comes from his inability to tell Briere that enough is enough.

We need Couturier in the top 9 to play a heavier defensive role. Briere's line gets pinned the most, and we don't have the blueline to make up for it right now, let alone the goaltending support when Bryzgalov is in net.

And for those asking for bigger shake-ups in the lines just to "shake things up," I'd rather he not do that. Play with the lines? Yes, but do so in a way that makes sense. He's not Stevens, and he doesn't pretend to be. There's no need to throw everyone around nonsensically.

Growing pains are going to happen.

Tell me if you thought this team would be in the race for the division midway through the year, now down Richards and Carter, without Pronger and with Bryzgalov doing his best impression of MFL.

He's a GREAT coach. Not just a good one.

We bury more chances early against the Islanders, and we have the ability to bury them no questions asked. Our offensive system coupled with the lineup Holmgren has assembled is only stopped by bad bounces and hot goaltenders.

Notice how the odd-man rushes against happened after we got down and were forcing the play. Lavi was pressuring the defensemen to jump the rush harder because we were down. Don't take that as a sign of a weak defensive team let alone a weak defensive system.

EDIT: And I know I lied about not posting here again, but whatever.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Yay another knee-jerk overreaction thread.

I'm leading the bandwagon against his average defensive system, but there are few other coaches in the league that I'd rather have than him.

We're gonna complain when he doesn't make adjustments, and then we complain when he's changing lines every game? Cmon...get a grip

And about lacking a #1...we're quick to jump to the front lines to call Kimmo a top 15 defenseman and one of the most underrated players in the league, yet we don't have a #1 defenseman? Seems we've gotten a bit spoiled here...

In Lavy I trust.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I agree that he's very stubborn and I think we all saw on 24/7 that Torts is just a better coach. I like Lavi but last season he started doing questionable things and it's not like he's changed much this year. I wish he'd move Jagr off the top line for a couple of games and see how someone else does in his spot. But it's not just on Lavi, the players are also responsible as is Holmgren. The team defense is brutal and needs to be addressed. Once the playoffs arrive you're not going to be scoring 4 or 5 goals per game on a consistent basis.

No. I don't believe this. This is the first year...first year that the Rangers under Tortorella are a contending team. In the 3 other years they've been in 8th place twice, lost in the first round both times, and didn't even make the playoffs one year. Before this season alot of fans thought it was time to explore other coaches. The position is too "what have you done for me lately" to say that Torts is better.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
My biggest irk with Lavi comes from his inability to tell Briere that enough is enough.

We need Couturier in the top 9 to play a heavier defensive role. Briere's line gets pinned the most, and we don't have the blueline to make up for it right now, let alone the goaltending support when Bryzgalov is in net.

And for those asking for bigger shake-ups in the lines just to "shake things up," I'd rather he not do that. Play with the lines? Yes, but do so in a way that makes sense. He's not Stevens, and he doesn't pretend to be. There's no need to throw everyone around nonsensically.

Growing pains are going to happen.

Tell me if you thought this team would be in the race for the division midway through the year, now down Richards and Carter, without Pronger and with Bryzgalov doing his best impression of MFL.

He's a GREAT coach. Not just a good one.

We bury more chances early against the Islanders, and we have the ability to bury them no questions asked. Our offensive system coupled with the lineup Holmgren has assembled is only stopped by bad bounces and hot goaltenders.

Notice how the odd-man rushes against happened after we got down and were forcing the play. Lavi was pressuring the defensemen to jump the rush harder because we were down. Don't take that as a sign of a weak defensive team let alone a weak defensive system.

EDIT: And I know I lied about not posting here again, but whatever.
I am going to copy my post from another thread, feel free to flame for having an opposite opinion:

So bad goalkeepr or good goalkeeper they still need 5 goals to win a game. Sad.

A lot of people asking for a solid defenceman. Yes, the team needs him, but it's just like treating a massive bleeding with a band aid.

They need to play team defence and offence. The system is either broken or learned and adjusted to throughout the NHL.

Islander have system that they play to a "T", they just do not have all the pieces to complete the system yet.

Flyers have all the expensive pieces, but they do not play like a well oiled machine- and that's need to be fixed.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Mota

This is a team that lost its captain and top scorer via trade, has over half a locker room of new faces, consistently has 7 rookies in the line up, has suffered significant injuries including their captain and best player, has underachieving goal tending, and is only 4 points out of 1st in the conference...I don't know how you can say Lavi isnt doing a good job.

I'll admit there are times I question him, but in reality he knows what he's doing. This team has had every disadvantage and is still one of the top teams in the conference...you gotta give him all the credit in the world for that.

Homer just needs to get them a solid Dman without trading away any major assets, then I think this team will be right in the mix for a cup.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:16 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
This is a team that lost its captain and top scorer via trade, has over half a locker room of new faces, consistently has 7 rookies in the line up, has suffered significant injuries including their captain and best player, has underachieving goal tending, and is only 4 points out of 1st in the conference...I don't know how you can say Lavi isnt doing a good job.

I'll admit there are times I question him, but in reality he knows what he's doing. This team has had every disadvantage and is still one of the top teams in the conference...you gotta give him all the credit in the world for that.

Homer just needs to get them a solid Dman without trading away any major assets, then I think this team will be right in the mix for a cup.
We needed to get rid of those players because they were not buying into the coaching. The off season we had was to build team chemistry and to try and get everyone on the same page.

Last season Lavy got hammered in the Boston series with his line match ups. If he has that poor of a showing again this playoffs I don't think he will make it to the next year.

This system is a pure offensive system and if they don't score chances of the Flyers winning are low. Come playoff time teams tighten up defensively and put that much more effort in. Our scoring will reduce and our defense will be exposed that much more.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:54 AM
CantSeeColors

Coaching doesn't matter.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:59 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Sometimes the onus is on the players... the way they came out to play tonight was pathetic. The coach can teach them all the fundamentals and strategy he wants.. it's on the players to perform and they didn't.
The coach's job is to put players in a position to succeed.

Does it look to you like Laviolette is doing that?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The coach's job is to put players in a position to succeed.

Does it look to you like Laviolette is doing that?
It's not the coach's fault when the players don't perform.

.....or does that only apply to John Stevens?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:03 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
We needed to get rid of those players because they were not buying into the coaching. The off season we had was to build team chemistry and to try and get everyone on the same page.

Last season Lavy got hammered in the Boston series with his line match ups. If he has that poor of a showing again this playoffs I don't think he will make it to the next year.

This system is a pure offensive system and if they don't score chances of the Flyers winning are low. Come playoff time teams tighten up defensively and put that much more effort in. Our scoring will reduce and our defense will be exposed that much more.
This is accurate.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:15 AM
DUHockey9

My only complaint about Lavi is that I think he sticks with line combinations too long. One of my biggest complaints with Stevens was that he seemed to move guys around from one shift to the next. I would think a trio had a great shift, only to see it get changed on the next one. Lavi almost never tries changing up lines to give some guys a spark. I don't think anyone is pleased with the G line right now. They are -17 in the last 6 games. Seems like the perfect chance to mix things up and see what happens.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:26 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post

Is this really true? What part of Laviolette 'pure offensive system' did they not buy into? They both got 66 points, they both played in all situations. The Flyers were 3rd in G/G, 11th in GA/G, and 3rd in 5-on-5 play.

Last year's team--before people got injured and fatigued--was the best Flyers team we've had since that 2003-2004 year. They ****ing rolled through everyone. Hell, in December of last year, there was talk of Laviolette getting the Jack Adams.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Giroux and Jagr haven't been able to do anything recently and they still haven't changed it up. Would like Lavi to put Couturier on the 1st line instead of Jagr.
so Gs being bad is all Jagrs fault? but ye couts is on hot streak, that might would help

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. I also agree with flyersfan9180, it's kind of hard to manage a team of players who didn't show up to play.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote