HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville claims Brandon Yip off waivers

Old
01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Two reasons come to mind...

If the Predators decide to send Smith down to the AHL (post-All Star weekend), then Yip can take his spot for a while. (Note, any such move would definitely be intended to be only as long as it would take to rebuild Smith's confidence and/or mojo.)

To me, though, it makes the most sense as a depth move to allow the most flexibility as the League approaches the trade deadline.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It doesn't really replace Smithson though, as he's not really adequate defensively. He's another "has to be in the top six to succeed" guy according to Avs fans, but isn't good enough to justify such icetime.
I disagree with this as an Avs fan. He's not a great skater and is not a shutdown guy. He seems to be an ok option for a 4th line energy guy. He showed flashes of some scoring ability, but not sure what happened, but it's not there anymore.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Or the Preds could be packaging a couple of the bottom 6 guys for a big defenseman. Smithson hasn't been as good as he has been defensively. I see this and I think to myself of the quote about Poile having a phenomenal expansion draft and being told when he gets rid of these guys he will have a hell of a team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Well, it's not because Smithson is out for longer than expected...

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club claimed forward Brandon Yip on waivers from the Colorado Avalanche and activated forward Jerred Smithson from injured reserve.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
NoNecksCurse

I don't get this move... at all. someone explain? please?

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Very simple explanation:

Yip = Hockey Player
McCrappan = Dinosaur

Poile finally realized that maybe the Preds are better served with a little depth to cover illness and injury and the ability to ice 12 hockey players at forward on any given night.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I disagree with this as an Avs fan. He's not a great skater and is not a shutdown guy. He seems to be an ok option for a 4th line energy guy. He showed flashes of some scoring ability, but not sure what happened, but it's not there anymore.
I was about to chime in here. I'm a big Yip fanboy (because he's Asian and also went to BU), but he has two NHL-level attributes: (1) booming shot and (2) can deliver hits. That said, everything else about his game sucks. He can barely skate, his passing is terrible, and his hockey sense is lacking.

He did play a year with Colin Wilson, so maybe they can rekindle something, even if they never played on the same EV line together, they did get a little PP time together.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
As a long-time predators fan, moves like this never surprise me but also never make sense to me. Oh well.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

unless there is a bigger move coming, I totally don't get this. Furthermore sending smith down would be a mistake of epic levels. I guess time will tell.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Smith won't be going down, I'm not worried about that at all.

Otherwise........meh, maybe Yip will add a spark ot the 4th line in place of McGrattan. No risk with possibly a slight reward.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I don't get it. Have to reserve judgement until I see the whole picture and his on ice contributions.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
MrJoshua

Sounds like a zero-risk move to see if a change of scenery helps the guy rekindle some scoring ability. If not, he'll go back on waivers and the team will look elsewhere. I don't have any problem with it, but I hope it isn't the only iron in the fire.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Wilson-Legwand-Erat
Hornqvist-Fisher-SK
Tootoo-Spailing-Borque
Yip-Smith-Halischuk
Kraken/Smitters

I tend to agree that a move must be coming...it just has to.

otherwise, I guess Poile is just taking a shot in the dark a la Bergfors? Except Yip doesn't have the talent IMO, guess we'll see.

That said, I don't think Yip could be worse offensively than Smithson. All 4 lines already play pretty good D, so maybe Poile was trying to upgrade Smithson's offensive game a little, even if it costs a little D. Who knows?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I don't get this move... at all. someone explain? please?
Since no one else has, I'll go ahead and quote the party lines on moves like this:

(a) this is a total, no risk move by Poile. I like the signing. Remember how Kostitsyn turned out?

(b) this guy is a typical, pred type, lunch pail player. He'll fit right in.

(c) I'll wait for the other shoe to drop. If no other move is made by "x" date, then I'll question it.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Shea Weber

Seems like another Bergfors type pick up with less offensive skill. Doesn't fit in current lineup.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Watching Yip handle the puck is a lot like watching Mike Tyson try to speak english.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
wadesworld

Watching Brule play for the Coyotes tonight and he looks pretty good. Wonder if we claimed the wrong guy?

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:41 PM
predfan24

I honestly don't understand this move. I'm not bashing it I just don't get it. I mean it's a low risk move. At worst he's good depth when injuries inevitably come but it's hard to see a place for him in the line up unless Smith goes down. It will be interesting to see what happens.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Watching Brule play for the Coyotes tonight and he looks pretty good. Wonder if we claimed the wrong guy?
Yotes had waiver priority before us so we never had a chance at him.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:16 PM
adsfan

Maybe Poile had the Yips?

If you pick up enough guys, you will find a diamond in the rough. Detroit is always finding some unsigned or unknown guy. They frequently work out for them.

Zetterberg was selected by the Detroit Red Wings 210th overall in the seventh round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. How many 7th rounders have careers like his?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Word is the Preds put in a claim, but Yotes were ahead in the order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I honestly don't understand this move. I'm not bashing it I just don't get it. I mean it's a low risk move. At worst he's good depth when injuries inevitably come but it's hard to see a place for him in the line up unless Smith goes down. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Well a Yip-Smith-Hali line looks better than a McGrattan/Smithson-Smith-Hali atleast. I'll wait awhile before bashing this move. Could be part of a bigger plan. Here's hoping.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well a Yip-Smith-Hali line looks better than a McGrattan/Smithson-Smith-Hali atleast. I'll wait awhile before bashing this move. Could be part of a bigger plan. Here's hoping.
That's probably the best 4th line I've seen in a while. Allows us to spread the icetime a little more evenly than it already is to keep guys well rested. I wouldn't mind seeing how the team performs without Smithson. I just don't see him being that impactful these days other than winning the odd key faceoff. Black hole for offense.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Good shot, good size, but a really poor skater in many aspects; slow pivots/turns, slow first couple of strides, poor balance on his feet, etc.

If he's shooting the puck, he's good. If he's not, he's damn near useless.

I hope he works out for you guys. Very likable guy, the Avs players really liked him.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Legionnaire11

Moves like this are so frustrating, not from a standpoint of wondering if it's a good more or not, but the anticipation that ensues while we're waiting for the next domino to fall.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Word is the Preds put in a claim, but Yotes were ahead in the order.

I know some fans would like to see Smithson scratched now that move has happened. But everybody should be honest with theirselves. As long as Smithson is healthy Trotz will put him in the line up. So that still leaves an extra forward. I only see a few possibilities for rational for this move.

A. It's simply a depth move. Now two forwards could go down and we would have adequate replacements for them in the short term.

B. Management is getting ready to send Smith down to boost his confidence

C. Poile wanted to pick up a solid bottom six guy because he seriously thought one or some of Halischuck, Bourque, Hornqvist, SK could be traded soon.