HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #45 @ Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
  #26
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
I said it in the game thread but Tortorella has to stop relying on guys like Prust so much. Yes, I get it, he works hard and is a good player for what he can do, but he just should not be on a scoring line. He looks completely out of place on one and all he does is hang out on the boards to cycle the puck, he has no offensive ability on the cycle at all.

This team isn't that bad offensively, Tortorella needs to figure out what the problem is at the moment because they can't just keep getting good offensive players and developing guys with good upside and then saying "whelp we're just not a good offensive team gotta win 1 goal games". Stop it. Gaborik and Richards and to a lesser extent Callahan and Dubinsky and Stepan and Anisimov are all skilled enough to make this a pretty decent team on offense, but they're all struggling and it does not help them to be put with guys who can't score at all.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
  #27
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,771
vCash: 500
After another debacle by Staal tonight I wonder if this D is deep enough after Girardi-McDonagh to stop Boston's 4 line assault.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
  #28
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I said it in the game thread but Tortorella has to stop relying on guys like Prust so much. Yes, I get it, he works hard and is a good player for what he can do, but he just should not be on a scoring line. He looks completely out of place on one and all he does is hang out on the boards to cycle the puck, he has no offensive ability on the cycle at all.

This team isn't that bad offensively, Tortorella needs to figure out what the problem is at the moment because they can't just keep getting good offensive players and developing guys with good upside and then saying "whelp we're just not a good offensive team gotta win 1 goal games". Stop it. Gaborik and Richards and to a lesser extent Callahan and Dubinsky and Stepan and Anisimov are all skilled enough to make this a pretty decent team on offense, but they're all struggling and it does not help them to be put with guys who can't score at all.
Torts needs to start using players where they're succesful. Not everyone is a grinder like he seems to think. This team is good when we grind, but not everyone has to do it. We need to find a way to carry the puck in and get good chances.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
  #29
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,468
vCash: 500
Yeah, I like Torts but he has to realize at some point that while having grinders is GOOD, you need to score goals too.

The good thing is we are still 1st in the EC but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
  #30
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
After another debacle by Staal tonight I wonder if this D is deep enough after Girardi-McDonagh to stop Boston's 4 line assault.
I'm guessing no.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
  #31
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey
 
charlie460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
To the media? No. In the film room? Yes.
I guess you're right. I would like for him to come out and say that we need more from Richie, etc, though.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
  #32
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Just got back from the game. Don't let the stretch of the game where it was 1-1 fool you; the Rangers were never in this one. Staal, Richards, and Lundqvist were not in the game mentally. The only good pass in the game was the team's only goal.

Obviously, every team goes through tough stretches, and the dead of January is a hell of a time for one, but it's time to start giving some people the game off.

Not a lot of Pitt fans at the game, but the ones that were there were ********. Their team worked hard; ours didn't. The end.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
  #33
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,232
vCash: 500
I mentioned this on the game thread. The Rangers' last FIVE losses have been by 3 goals. Not impressive from a supposed top team.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
  #34
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I mentioned this on the game thread. The Rangers' last FIVE losses have been by 3 goals. Not impressive from a supposed top team.
True but those 5 losses have come over a month and a half stretch.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
  #35
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
True but those 5 losses have come over a month and a half stretch.
Exactly.

I was cracking up at the guy who said "HERE'S OUT LAST 5 LOSSES, LOOK AT HOW BAD WE GET BLOWN OUT!' and then went on to list the St. Louis game as the first one from god knows how long ago.

We're seeing our biggest slump of the season right now and it's showing we probably need offense...but we're not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination unless you're stupid.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:31 PM
  #36
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,771
vCash: 500
I'm not happy with our performance lately, but to be fair, when is the last time this team lost a close game? Maybe once all season? When they lose, they ****in lose. They've been that way all season. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad team.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:33 PM
  #37
Moosehead777
Registered User
 
Moosehead777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 1984
Country: United States
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
My beloved Rangers played horrible tonight...and i dont like the way we've been playing of late....

If there is a time to slump a bit it would be now...but hopefully they dont slump at all....

if they do however, they can than, be playing well by seasons end and into the playoffs when it counts....

Dont relax or slack....the season really has just begun....

LGR!!!!!!!!!!

Moosehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
  #38
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I'm getting a little tired of saying this.
Why? They bounce back well. They're still first in the league and they're not going to win every game. It's just not possible with the parity in the league.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:51 PM
  #39
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Watching the replay of Malkin's goal...what in the hell was Del Zotto doing on that?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
  #40
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Watching the replay of Malkin's goal...what in the hell was Del Zotto doing on that?
Imitating Crosby?


Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
  #41
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
A lot of hate for Malkin in the GDT today but I have to say, I would have given up the FARM to get Malkin in any year of his career. Now with him setting the world on fire and Crosby out indefinitely, he's as untouchable as he's ever been in his career, but there were moments where his *perceived* value was at a low and Sid was healthy and dominant where people talked about trading Malkin, letting Staal have the #2C spot and getting wingers and I would have given up anything outside of Lundqvist to get him here. He has to be my absolute favorite player to watch in the world.


AA, Staal, Kreider, Dubinsky, 1st for Malkin!

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
  #42
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
A lot of hate for Malkin in the GDT today but I have to say, I would have given up the FARM to get Malkin in any year of his career. Now with him setting the world on fire and Crosby out indefinitely, he's as untouchable as he's ever been in his career, but there were moments where his *perceived* value was at a low and Sid was healthy and dominant where people talked about trading Malkin, letting Staal have the #2C spot and getting wingers and I would have given up anything outside of Lundqvist to get him here. He has to be my absolute favorite player to watch in the world.


AA, Staal, Kreider, Dubinsky, 1st for Malkin!
We need a player like Malkin; someone who can just create offense.

Someone in the GDT or PGT said that we need a player who can create offense from nothing, not just another top-6 player.

Then again, Malkin is probably the best player in the league now that Crosby is out.

Let's hope that in the future Kreider can be an offensive force.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
  #43
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,618
vCash: 500
Gaborik, Richie, and even Cally haven't played up to their capabilities lately. So long as they struggle this team will continue to have trouble offensively.

Staal's play has been disappointing but Rangers fans need to be more patient. Every individual recovers from a concussion differently so to say that he should have returned to form by now is nonsense. He missed training camp and didn't play in a real hockey game for almost 9 months. Staal's timing is off right now and he's more unsure of himself as he was prior to the concussion, but hopefully he will improve as the season progresses.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
  #44
NYGBleedBlueNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
To the guy complaining about torts not critiquing players that's his standard answer. He always says he won't do it without seeing the film.

That said this loss is on Torts.

WHY ON EARTH would you move MDZ? Move Staal! He's not ready to play above third pair anyways so let him get used to playing RHD in limited minutes. Moving a guy who's playing his best hockey & is very young as well is asinine IMO.

The lines today made no sense.

I love Torts but he screwed the pooch today.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
  #45
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
We need a player like Malkin; someone who can just create offense.

Someone in the GDT or PGT said that we need a player who can create offense from nothing, not just another top-6 player.

Then again, Malkin is probably the best player in the league now that Crosby is out.

Let's hope that in the future Kreider can be an offensive force.
That was me in the GDT lol

But yes, while getting Malkin is virtually impossible value/divisional rival/etc. we need a player of his ilk. Obviously, you're not going to get someone on the level even, but we need a player who can generate offense. Richards is far from "dangerous" every time he steps on the ice. Gaborik is closer, but only because he's an opportunist; he's not going to just decide to own you. We need a player who can just decide "screw it, I'm going end to end" and actually do it with reasonable success.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
  #46
NYGBleedBlueNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Staal's play has been disappointing but Rangers fans need to be more patient. Every individual recovers from a concussion differently so to say that he should have returned to form by now is nonsense. He missed training camp and didn't play in a real hockey game for almost 9 months. Staal's timing is off right now and he's more unsure of himself as he was prior to the concussion, but hopefully he will improve as the season progresses.
Hes getting too many minutes = Torts fault

He's trying to do too much = his fault

Really bad combo

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
  #47
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Gaborik, Richie, and even Cally haven't played up to their capabilities lately. So long as they struggle this team will continue to have trouble offensively.

Staal's play has been disappointing but Rangers fans need to be more patient. Every individual recovers from a concussion differently so to say that he should have returned to form by now is nonsense. He missed training camp and didn't play in a real hockey game for almost 9 months. Staal's timing is off right now and he's more unsure of himself as he was prior to the concussion, but hopefully he will improve as the season progresses.
Agreed. Like Sam and Joe said, there were moments where he looked like the "old" Staal, but other moments where you could tell he wasn't fully ready yet.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
  #48
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
Terrible game. Staal looked like a pylon and was responsible for 2 goals. Richards needs to get his head out of his ass. Not Hank's best game either.

I love Torts, but please bench Boyle. He does more harm than good. Hagelin and Gabby looked good, on a brighter note.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:41 PM
  #49
DM Smiths
Rookie User
 
DM Smiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Hagelin was the best player for us tonight. Definitely
I agree. His hustle, speed, goal...

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:48 PM
  #50
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
edit: nvm


Last edited by IBleedNYRBlue: 01-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.
IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.