HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #45 @ Pittsburgh

Old
01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Terrible game. Staal looked like a pylon and was responsible for 2 goals. Richards needs to get his head out of his ass. Not Hank's best game either.

I love Torts, but please bench Boyle. He does more harm than good. Hagelin and Gabby looked good, on a brighter note.
I'd bench Prust before I'd bench Boyle. It's good to have character guys, but they play like it's illegal to try to score.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Didn't read through this or the GDT so I don't know if this has been discussed or not but if we're not going to have Callahan with Richards on the RW, can we call up Zuke and put him on a line with Richards? Give Zuke top 6 minutes? He can't be any worse in the top 6 than Mitchell or Prust.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
we still have the least amount of losses in the league.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:07 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I actually would call up Zuke. I'm done with Mitchell. We always seem to have a "bandaid" player in the lineup. Christensen. Mitchell. We have enough grinders. Make the top-six some combination of Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Gaborik, Zuccarello, Dubinsky, Callahan, Hagelin or even Wolski. Stop with Boyle, Prust and Mitchell on the ice for offensive zone draws and when we're down a goal and need to get some chances. Too much ice-time where it's just not warranted.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Agentsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Really? I thought he was their best player on the ice tonight. He kept it competitive in the first when Pittsburgh could have had 2 or 3 goals. Had no chance on the first goal (the team let Martin skate in uncontested on a side / mini-break away - Lundqvist makes a strong save - and Kunitz comes in to roof the rebound - again uncontested).

The second goal was a bad angle shot, one that Lundqvist probably should have had, but the last person you should blame on a 3-on-1 goal is the goaltender (when a 3-on-1 occurs, something has fundamentally went wrong).

The third goal, Malkin, skated past a flailing Del Zotto, went to his back hand and roofed it on a nasty shot that would have beaten any goaltender in the NHL.

I just don't see how he was bad. He let up 3 goals on 36 shots and he didn't have a chance on 2 of them.
Hard to blame the goalie tonight. all the pens goals tonight came on odd man rushes. could he have stopped the 2nd, maybe. but its a frkn 3 on 1. give him a break.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:23 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Didn't read through this or the GDT so I don't know if this has been discussed or not but if we're not going to have Callahan with Richards on the RW, can we call up Zuke and put him on a line with Richards? Give Zuke top 6 minutes? He can't be any worse in the top 6 than Mitchell or Prust.
Not a bad idea, but he'd most likely have to beat out Mitchell. Torts wouldn't move Prust.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:31 AM
nyrleetch

I'd like to see MZA get another shot as well. People will talk about him being small but the guy can flat out pass. We have enough Grinders on this team. Although I doubt this would happen i'd like to see.

Hagelin-Stepan-Gaborik
MZA-Richards-Dubinsky
Cally-AA-Feds
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

I think that could give us 3 scoring lines and a good 4th line.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Or we could just put Callahan in the top 6 where he belongs instead of playing him with Boyle and Fedotenko

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

But anyway, Zuccarello is hurt so he's not an option for the time being...

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:15 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Good: Hagelin&Gabe
Bad: Richards&everyone else that had time on the PP
Redden: Staal...

If he hadn't had Staal on his jersey, his ass would't have been on the ice for the end of the game.

And bring up Zuke sounds tempting now, PPG+ in AHL. Bad thing he's hurt.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Or we could just put Callahan in the top 6 where he belongs instead of playing him with Boyle and Fedotenko
Yeah, wtf is up with that? Have Mitchell/Prust playing over Callahan is just retarded and waste of talent.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:03 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Yeah, wtf is up with that? Have Mitchell/Prust playing over Callahan is just retarded and waste of talent.
And it doesn't help neither Richards nor Cally to get out of their slump either. Yeah Richards has been bad and Cally has been pretty quiet offensively, but it's not going to be better when they are playing with guys like Prust or Boyle.

Our biggest weakness (next to the PP) all year is the lack of scoring from our bottom-6 forwards. As long as Stepan+Gaborik and Richards+Callahan were clicking it didn't show, but right now we are back to a one line offense.

Oh and I really understand that Staal needs playing time, but don't force it in a close games against a division rival with the leagues best scorer. Add to that he was paired with an offensive defenseman playing on his off side. That's a recipe for disaster.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Does the media watch the Rangers game?

Quote:
Staal played the left side, spending at least one shift with every other defenseman aside from Ryan McDonagh. That required Del Zotto to move out of his comfort zone, from the left side to the right, when paired with Staal.

Both Staal and Del Zotto jumped early and often into offensive rushes. Staal's tip of a Brad Richards wrister 9:35 into the first period was the Rangers' first shot on goal, and even Staal said all the puck had to do was find the right crevice, because Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury would have had no time to react had he not been positioned in its path already.

There is a good chance Tortorella wanted to see how Del Zotto could handle playing on the right side so that whenever Michael Sauer (concussion) returns, Del Zotto can remain in a top-four role while Sauer works his way back into his normal minutes and playing shape.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-brad-richards

Quote:
Interesting to see how much ice time Staal got (team leading 26:02 originally, which I think was later changed to 24:58, just behind Ryan McDonagh’s 25:21) and also to see how the rotation went, with Michael Del Zotto moving over to the right side when playing with Staal, and Bickel and Anton Stralman seeing limited time. I really wonder what they’re going to do with Del Zotto when Michael Sauer comes back, and how they’re not going to diminish his minutes.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2012/0...gers+Report%29

Staal and MDZ have been paired together for 3 straight games. 3rd period in MTL. Most of the 3rd period against Nashville. Staal and DZ were the 2nd pair thrown out there by Sullivan. McD-Girardi started the game. Staal-DZ. McD-Girardi again. DZ-Stralman. Staal-Bickel. McD-Girardi.

Why would they diminish DZ's minutes?

Yeah Staal made a bad read. It happens.

Sam Rosen said DZ likes the right side.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
bmw2004

I know it's my fault. I went to the game last night and they didn't show up at all. They just refuse to play when I am at the Garden.

On a serious note: this was terrible performance from basically all of them except Hagelin and maybe Gabs. Richard was lost out there. Penguins played so much better without half of the lineup. This effort is NOT acceptable. If they'll play like this against the Bruins the score will be 7-1.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:52 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
I'd bench Prust before I'd bench Boyle. It's good to have character guys, but they play like it's illegal to try to score.
Prust should be moved to the 4th line where he belongs

I'm not opposed to replacing Mitchell with Zuccarello either. Couldn't hurt.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Prust should be moved to the 4th line where he belongs

I'm not opposed to replacing Mitchell with Zuccarello either. Couldn't hurt.
Problem is, MZA is hurt, right?

Either way, we need more players who can score, so that we don't rely on 4th line players like Boyle and Prust to spark our offense.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger
Matt Cook delivered a dangerous hit on Brad Richards last night. Need to see it again. Looks like slewfoot.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger
Matt Cook delivered a dangerous hit on Brad Richards last night. Need to see it again. Looks like slewfoot.
I don't expect the league to do anything on this...

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
blue425

Everyone gets a whooping occasionally. As someone else said...if .500 hockey is this teams slump I'll gladly take it.

It might get worse before it gets better. That's ok though..still enjoying the ride.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:11 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Let's hope that in the future Kreider can be an offensive force
I won't be holding my breath...he isn't THAT highly touted. We'll, most prospects are in Ranger world.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
allrevvedup25

If the lines have gone stale, this is what I would not mind seeing.

Cally-Step-Duby
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Rupp-AA-Mitchell
Prust-Boyle-Feds

Girardi-McD
Staal-MDZ
Stralman-Bickel

Goalies as per the usual.

You can exchange Mitchell for a Hartford call up. I would like to see more speed on that 3rd line, if MZA is injured, who else down on on the Whale has speed and decent hands?? Bourque??

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:21 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger
This is a crappy quality video (not mine), but tells the tale of what happened.

I was furious and couldn't believe it wasn't called.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

One of my main arguments with this team, is that as currently constructed it's not as skilled as it could be. Essentially, Torts turned it into a team with his decisions of who stays and who goes, we're looking at a Rangers roster with what used to be 1A/1B and 2 4th lines, now with a 1A line a below par 2nd line (with Prust there) and two fourth lines.

Prust playing with Richards is a joke. Want to get Richards out of his funk? Get Prust off his line. I've been saying all season that Boyle and Prust were playing over their heads in this lineup and now the theme appears to have caught on here at HF.

The thing is, even if Zuccarello wasn't hurt I'm sure he wouldn't be seeing a call up any time soon, which is a tragedy.

AS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED, the lines should be...

Hagelin - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan
Rupp/Mitchell - Anisimov - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Mitchell/Rupp

Want Richards to bust out of his funk? Give him two linemates that will work their ***** off every shift.

Been sick of Boyle on the PP since day 1. Been sick of Prust + Boyle getting third line minutes since day 1.

It's obvious though that Torts has a love affair with Prust, asking him to fight less. I know I brought it up before but Pruster had the opportunity to get Paul Martin off the ice for 5 minutes last night and didn't drop 'em. That's something that Avery understood that Prust hasn't seemed to have grasped yet. Take a better guy off the ice with you.

/endrant

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I've said it before, I'll say it again, this team, and especially Richards, really needs Left Wing help. Usually you can kinda make do if you have reasonably talented players, but the LW spot is just too devoid of talent outside of Hags.

I also still believe that Torts has to let the skill players be skill players.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
One of my main arguments with this team, is that as currently constructed it's not as skilled as it could be. Essentially, Torts turned it into a team with his decisions of who stays and who goes, we're looking at a Rangers roster with what used to be 1A/1B and 2 4th lines, now with a 1A line a below par 2nd line (with Prust there) and two fourth lines.

Prust playing with Richards is a joke. Want to get Richards out of his funk? Get Prust off his line. I've been saying all season that Boyle and Prust were playing over their heads in this lineup and now the theme appears to have caught on here at HF.

The thing is, even if Zuccarello wasn't hurt I'm sure he wouldn't be seeing a call up any time soon, which is a tragedy.

AS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED, the lines should be...

Hagelin - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan
Rupp/Mitchell - Anisimov - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Mitchell/Rupp

Want Richards to bust out of his funk? Give him two linemates that will work their ***** off every shift.

Been sick of Boyle on the PP since day 1. Been sick of Prust + Boyle getting third line minutes since day 1.

It's obvious though that Torts has a love affair with Prust, asking him to fight less. I know I brought it up before but Pruster had the opportunity to get Paul Martin off the ice for 5 minutes last night and didn't drop 'em. That's something that Avery understood that Prust hasn't seemed to have grasped yet. Take a better guy off the ice with you.

/endrant
Couple of things:

1) I don't see Zuccarello not being here as a real issue. He's hardly a given or known entity.

2) Even with the lines you draw up, they issue is the same as it is now — their not getting enough production for their top skill guys — most notably Richards, Dubinksy and Anisimov (where has he been and doesn't it feel like his days are numbered?)

3) If they can get even a serviceable PP a lot of the flaws would be better concealed.

4) There are two sides of playing the style the Rangers do:

Hard work can beat talent.

BUT

It takes a lot of out of the team playing the way they do.

They need their talent to pick up the scoring because I have to wonder if this team can sustain playing this way for another half a season. For that matter, if you play the way the Rangers do, you need to put points on the board with the man advantage.