HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate pain

Old
01-15-2012, 05:28 AM
drivesrf

vCash: 500
Skate pain

Hello, when I skate for a while i get a pain going the center of my feet for the length of both feet. It feels like the blade is trying to push through the bottom of the boot. Why is this? Could this be rectified with inserts?? Thanks!

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
AIREAYE

I don't think anyone can really diagnose your problem, only suggest things. Though imo it sounds like your arch is collapsing when you skate, causing pain. Try Superfeet Yellow.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
newfr4u

try this. cheap, quick, and safe to try. see if it helps. if your foot improves, repeat every few days.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
drivesrf

Thanks! I'm worried its the skate because it feels like the blade is trying to push through the bottom of the boot, but the skates are in good condition, so I dont know.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
Hello, when I skate for a while i get a pain going the center of my feet for the length of both feet. It feels like the blade is trying to push through the bottom of the boot. Why is this? Could this be rectified with inserts?? Thanks!
If you dont skate all the time, the muscles in your feet arent used to balancing on your edges, so it cause cause them to tire and cause pain. It should go away over time if you skate on a regular basis.
Arch supports will help though.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Thanks! I'm worried its the skate because it feels like the blade is trying to push through the bottom of the boot, but the skates are in good condition, so I dont know.
pretty unlikely it's a blade coming through the sole.

the actual reason for the pain might be an injured muscle. not torn or anything, but it could be a badly untreated bruise/strain/adhesion. there are a lot of muscles in the foot. not all of them are engaged/shortened unless the foot is in a specific position under specific stress. the skate might cause that particular muscle to shorten past its ability, or it might provide extra stress on another muscle through an insertion point/ligament.

long story short, that muscle is in need of deep tissue massage to relieve the adhesion.

i had a similar experience when i had to rent an extra narrow skate once. i had foot pain for weeks afterwards using my own skates that were comfortable before. it went away when i did the above therapy with a golf ball.

Last edited by newfr4u: 01-15-2012 at 07:51 PM.
newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:35 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
If you dont skate all the time, the muscles in your feet arent used to balancing on your edges, so it cause cause them to tire and cause pain. It should go away over time if you skate on a regular basis.
Arch supports will help though.
I think you might be right! I havent used my ice skates in a while been playing more roller hockey. I have custom orthotics from a podiatrist used for running which I'll try in my skates. Thanks!

Old
01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Badger36

Quote:
I think you might be right! I havent used my ice skates in a while been playing more roller hockey. I have custom orthotics from a podiatrist used for running which I'll try in my skates. Thanks!
It happens to me when I havent skated for a while. I will get pain in my arches but then, after Ive skated a few times on a regular basis it goes away.
I dont a lot of off-ice workouts with squats, plyometrics and core work but its still no replacement for actually being on the ice.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
It happens to me when I havent skated for a while. I will get pain in my arches but then, after Ive skated a few times on a regular basis it goes away.
On a completely different topic I see you are from Madison, any idea where to get a Badgers hockey jersey without paying alot?? My mother, grandfather, cousin, etc went to UW

Old
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
JimmyStart*

Ive skated about 20 times 2-3 per week over the last 2 months and Im still getting about 10 minutes before my foot completely cramps is that normal?

I've also skated with these specific skates about 6 times so it could be the break in process but the arch feels like it's higher up on my foot than it should be and there's still a bit of space between my toes and the front of the skate so it could be that. If the arch is in the wrong spot but the skate feels good otherwise is there a way to fix that or do I have to return for a slightly smaller size again?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I don't think anyone can really diagnose your problem, only suggest things. Though imo it sounds like your arch is collapsing when you skate, causing pain. Try Superfeet Yellow.
Im thinking about getting these for my skates. Does anyone know if I plan on getting them, can I bake my skates before I put them in or am I better served waiting until they are in the skate?

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:21 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Im thinking about getting these for my skates. Does anyone know if I plan on getting them, can I bake my skates before I put them in or am I better served waiting until they are in the skate?
You should ideally rebake your skate as the Superfeet both lifts your heel slightly and changes the shape of your foot in the boot.

Take out any footbed already in the skate, rebake your skate as per instruction, THEN slide the Superfeet in and lace them up. DO NOT have the Superfeet in the oven with the skates.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Stickmata

Every pair of skates I've ever worn has hurt my feet. Baked, unbaked, Superfeet, no Superfeet, adjusted, punched, custom fit. Still pain. Yet some of my buddies can put on any skate they want and no pain at all. Some of us have funky feet and we just have to learn to deal with the pain if we want to play hockey.

Every time I go on the ice, I have to read my skates after about 3 minutes warming up and decide whether its a night that I can go tight or need to keep them loose. This process has taught me too lessons. First, being pain free has a much bigger impact on my skating than having my skates locked down. I skate and play much better on pain free loose skates than I do painful, locked down skates. Pain not only affects my footwork, it distracts me enough to affect my play. Second, the looser your skates are, the more it forces you to use proper body position. If I keep a deep knee bend and roll my ankles properly, I can skate well with some pretty damn loose skates. I find that I just have to find that point where my skates are just tight enough to be responsive, but give me the least pain.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Every pair of skates I've ever worn has hurt my feet. Baked, unbaked, Superfeet, no Superfeet, adjusted, punched, custom fit. Still pain. Yet some of my buddies can put on any skate they want and no pain at all. Some of us have funky feet and we just have to learn to deal with the pain if we want to play hockey.

Every time I go on the ice, I have to read my skates after about 3 minutes warming up and decide whether its a night that I can go tight or need to keep them loose. This process has taught me too lessons. First, being pain free has a much bigger impact on my skating than having my skates locked down. I skate and play much better on pain free loose skates than I do painful, locked down skates. Pain not only affects my footwork, it distracts me enough to affect my play. Second, the looser your skates are, the more it forces you to use proper body position. If I keep a deep knee bend and roll my ankles properly, I can skate well with some pretty damn loose skates. I find that I just have to find that point where my skates are just tight enough to be responsive, but give me the least pain.
I was like this my entire life until 2 weeks ago.

GRAF G3 11' in a narrow. Baked once, skated in 5 times now. Zero pain. I still can't believe it. I guess if a skate really fits you well, no pain is a possibility.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post

GRAF G3 11' in a narrow. Baked once, skated in 5 times now. Zero pain. I still can't believe it. I guess if a skate really fits you well, no pain is a possibility.
Yeah with me it was easton eq20, they're sweet

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
Yeah with me it was easton eq20, they're sweet
Glad to hear it!

It's an expensive, time consuming, and painful road, but finding the right skate for you really is priceless. The performance and comfort will simply make you want to play more often which in turn will make you a better player

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
backhander

loosen the laces or get new skates

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post

I think the right skate for me is the G3 in a 10 narrow. Been trying to find time to go a store an hour away that stock them to try them on.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way. But, sometimes hockey players don't know how to put on skates and tie them up. And without knowing how long you have been skating, even then, some players still have problems.

First: lace the skate up completely without your foot in the skate. Then tie a not at the end of the lace so the lace doesn't come out of the eye. This will also help keep the lace from unraveling.

Second: Then pull all the laces (as best as you can) away from the tongue and slide your foot in. Do not force your heel into the skate. This will pull you tendon at the bace of the neel and you will be out for about a week...or two (this happens once you hit 35 to 40 years of age)

Third: The, once the foot is in, pull the bottom "four" eye laces, so that you can still move the laces up and down from the direction of the toe to the heal with no tention.

Fourth Then pull the remainder of the laces from the "fifth" eye hole up towards your ankle "Very Tight" for ankle support.

90% of the time, the pain comes from tightening the bottom 4 eye laces...too tight. This cuts off blood circulation to the toes which causes the pain in the arch. Try this before you go incert orthotics.

Head coach

01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way. But, sometimes hockey players don't know how to put on skates and tie them up. And without knowing how long you have been skating, even then, some players still have problems.

First: lace the skate up completely without your foot in the skate. Then tie a not at the end of the lace so the lace doesn't come out of the eye. This will also help keep the lace from unraveling.

Second: Then pull all the laces (as best as you can) away from the tongue and slide your foot in. Do not force your heel into the skate. This will pull you tendon at the bace of the neel and you will be out for about a week...or two (this happens once you hit 35 to 40 years of age)

Third: The, once the foot is in, pull the bottom "four" eye laces, so that you can still move the laces up and down from the direction of the toe to the heal with no tention.

Fourth Then pull the remainder of the laces from the "fifth" eye hole up towards your ankle "Very Tight" for ankle support.

90% of the time, the pain comes from tightening the bottom 4 eye laces...too tight. This cuts off blood circulation to the toes which causes the pain in the arch. Try this before you go incert orthotics.

Head coach
Hey headcoach, i didn't get it well about it, probably its just because i'm italian

Anyway you are suggesting to lace the skate all the way up without the foot, then loosen up only the laces that goes up from the ankle and insert the foot in?

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
drivesrf

Quote:

Head coach
Thanks I will try this! I skated yesterday and only one foot hurt, so maybe they were laced differently.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:09 PM
AIREAYE

I sometimes get pains on the bottom of my foot because I wore a thicker sock. Did you try wearing a thinner sock then?

Old
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
MouF

x2 for loosening the laces...i had the same issue.

i wouldn't do any of the eyelets very tight...last few a little tighter, but i wouldn't over do it.

my 2 cents

MouF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
neksys

Quote:

Head coach
This is outstanding advice. I've had trouble with skates as well, but once someone showed me this "trick" it changed everything for me.

For some reason we are always so tempted from a young age to tie our skates as tight as possible, and maybe that had a purpose back when skates were all-leather.

Anyways, what I do now is I tighten the lowest few eyes until they start to get snug but aren't tight. I then tighten up the top half of the laces quite tight. Personally I leave the very top eye unlaced because it helps me keep my ankles flexible (with plenty of support further down, if that makes sense).

Its a free thing to try - if it doesn't work, try an insert. If that doesn't work, maybe you need new skates. But always go cheap before going expensive.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I got pains behind the ball of my feet in the arch when my skates were too narrow up front. My feet wanted to flatten out but couldn't and it cause unbearable pain. A little stretching/punching up front and it was fixed. That was the only time my feet ever hurt in my skates.

I'm sure an insert which gives you support could help as well, or possibly a combination of the two. For me I just needed them a little wider.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote