HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#48 KINGS v. FLAMES, 1/19/12 ... More Loser Points ... yippie ?

Old
01-20-2012, 01:49 AM
ShattStar03

vCash: 500
Just came back from the game, those OT chances were brutal to watch. I have to admit, I was extremely disappointed on how Richards executed that PP at the 30 secs of OT. Scuderi looked like dog crap, couldn't control the puck to save his life.

This team needs a wake up call, if this team were to make the playoffs, I just don't see them winning more than 1-2 games in the post season.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I Blame the NHL more. That loser point system breeds games like this. The Flames stuck just about everyone in the middle of the ice once they tied it up.

They were playing for overtime the moment they tied it up. Now the Kings didn't take advantage of that (kinda hard too) but you get the idea.

It also didn't help that Refs decided they were not going to call any obstruction (Both Ways).

Get rid of the Shootouts and Loser points. Teams will be balls to the wall to get wins.

Don't think that will ever happen though, That loser point makes the standings look close.
That's the problem.

Some games are worth 2 points, and some are worth 3. It's pure bull ****. I hate this system, because as you said, the standings are always a lot tighter than what should be the case. And everyone at the end of the season (say the last 20 games or so) are always playing for at least one point...the number of three-point games in the last couple months of the season go way up and its much harder to gain ground unless you become part of the problem...by making sure you also get at least one point per night.

Lately though, it seems every WC game ends up with 3 points.

We should go back to 2 point games, period. **** the shootout, get rid of it.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Absolutely get rid of the shootout.

My proposal, for years, has been to extend OT to 10 minutes (five on five, none of this gimmick @#$@), and ditch the shootout... but go with soccer's point system. THREE points for a win (regulation or OT), ZERO points for a loss (regulation or OT), and ONE point each for a tie.

That still preserves an incentive to try to win in OT -- even if you lose more than you win in OT, you're still ahead of the points you'd get for settling for a tie... unless you lose more than two-thirds of the time in OT.

Make it happen, NHL.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
He was making just flat out awful reads on the forecheck all game long. He's really on my **** list. I don't care if he's being miscast right now. He is not a good hockey player.
Isn't he in the last year of his contract?

I mean, what can we get for him? And you want him gone (so do I), but who is gonna take his place?

Our third line hasn't scored in a month (it seems). I was carefully watching all the lines work at the game tonight in the 3rd period, and it doesn't seem the third line guys have a plan in place other than to pass the puck from behind the net and hope it hits a Kings stick.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:03 AM
redcard

Quote:
Isn't he in the last year of his contract?

I mean, what can we get for him? And you want him gone (so do I), but who is gonna take his place?

Our third line hasn't scored in a month (it seems). I was carefully watching all the lines work at the game tonight in the 3rd period, and it doesn't seem the third line guys have a plan in place other than to pass the puck from behind the net and hope it hits a Kings stick.
It probably doesn't help that Lokti speaks only limited English. They're very good at creating turnovers and are improving in terms of sustaining offensive pressure, they just have no finish right now (sound familiar?).

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:05 AM
bobafettish*

gagne coming back soon?

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:12 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

there's nothing wrong with loser points. But there's something wrong with a team when they are so dependent on something so flimsy. This was my issue with them relying on Quick to win games and now they've just moved things to OT. They need to start winning decisively. They need to be able to be in control of their destiny instead of munching off the scraps. Even the Ducks have picked up their game, where's the Kings at?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:16 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
no it isnt basically 8-7, its 8-1-6

would you take a 41-41 record if all the 41 losses were ot/so losses?
If you are going to count the OT wins as wins, then count the OT losses as losses.

8-1-6 for the purpose of determining points.

but it's 8-7 if you are talking about wins and losses.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:18 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I could care less if they aren't good at shootouts. Guess what's not in the playoffs? Shootouts.
The Kings?

Old
01-20-2012, 02:21 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
That's the problem.

Some games are worth 2 points, and some are worth 3. It's pure bull ****. I hate this system, because as you said, the standings are always a lot tighter than what should be the case. And everyone at the end of the season (say the last 20 games or so) are always playing for at least one point...the number of three-point games in the last couple months of the season go way up and its much harder to gain ground unless you become part of the problem...by making sure you also get at least one point per night.

The best option would be to eliminate two points from each OT game. OT winner gets a single point. Loser gets nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sorry, I can't agree. People can call it the "loser point", but it is actually a bonus point that is going to the team that wins in OT or the shootout.
The loser of the game gets a point. That's why it's called a loser point. The loser of a game shouldn't get any reward for losing.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 01-20-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old
01-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I Blame the NHL more. That loser point system breeds games like this. The Flames stuck just about everyone in the middle of the ice once they tied it up.

They were playing for overtime the moment they tied it up. Now the Kings didn't take advantage of that (kinda hard too) but you get the idea.

It also didn't help that Refs decided they were not going to call any obstruction (Both Ways).

Get rid of the Shootouts and Loser points. Teams will be balls to the wall to get wins.

Don't think that will ever happen though, That loser point makes the standings look close.
Agreed. Only sport that rewards a loss. either remove that or Wins should be worth 3 points like Soccer.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:53 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

interesting comments made by a 'division rival' via Dennis Bernstein;

Quote:
Divison rival of Kings reached out after game w words about Kings scoring woes. Interesting points, says far more about coaching than roster
Quote:
"LA like most teams now, coached to not get scored on, they're over coached. Best teams are ones that carry pace on offense" - rival player
Quote:
"Look at every division leader other than NYR, all play uptempo. How does LA only have 106 goals scored? That's (screwed)" - division rival

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Fishhead

The team looked very sluggish in person tonight. Very boring game. Calgary clogged up the middle all night, and who can blame them with all their injuries.

This is typical of a game when a team returns from a road trip, I really didn't expect anything different. Most people don't feel the effects of travel until a day or two later. The Kings had no jump outside of the first period. On the bright side, they were totally disinterested most of the night and still should have won that game.

I also blame the points system for games like this. The league can change rules all they want, taking lines out, putting lines in, etc, but nothing is going to change until a win in regulation is worth more than a win in a shootout.

I understand why they have a shootout. The league wants a team to be the winner every night, and it's not feasible to extend OT past 5 minutes without a resurface, which means 3 hour games. The ice is horrid in OT in many buildings as it is. The only solution I see is the popular 3 pts for a win. There is no incentive for a team right now to push it when there are 5 minutes or less left in a game.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
interesting comments made by a 'division rival' via Dennis Bernstein;
I'll go ahead and take that one with a grain of salt. I highly doubt other players/teams are concerned about the Kings enough to 'reach out' to Bernstein and discuss their offensive output.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:30 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Not a horrible game, and the bounce didn't go our way tonight for their one goal (broken stick), but it's the same story: we need to finish our chances. At least Sutter is getting us points when we lose. I have a feeling many of these ot/so losses would have been regulation losses before Sutter, so at least we're holding our position. On to the next one.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:39 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
6 behind with them having more games to play and this team having long road trips. Not insurmountable, but there are tough obstacles ahead which will make catching them difficult.
To be fair... the Kings play better on the road than at home.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I'll go ahead and take that one with a grain of salt. I highly doubt other players/teams are concerned about the Kings enough to 'reach out' to Bernstein and discuss their offensive output.
Who says they're concerned? They saw the game and made a comment, one I think is valid.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Who says they're concerned? They saw the game and made a comment, one I think is valid.
I can make up anonymous sources too.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
..... and Penner plays like he's 5'8.
Or maybe just 58! He had no business NOT scoring in OT. He had the angle on Kipper. He had both hands on this stick, while Kipper was falling backwards with one hand on the puck. A dude who's 6'5" should EASILY have powered that shot past the goalie!! And his excuse? "He saved it". Fire this clown right friggin' now!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Agreed. Only sport that rewards a loss. either remove that or Wins should be worth 3 points like Soccer.
I like the idea of half-points.

REG. WIN = 2 points
OT WIN = 2 points
SO WIN = 1.5 points
SO LOSS = .5 points
OT LOSS = 0 points
REG. LOSS = 0 points

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I like Loktionov's line, but he needs a finisher. He doesn't have to be terribly skilled, but some type of vet who can put himself in a scoring position.

Stoll is sucking the offensive threat out of the second line.

Kopitar's line was good. Loved Brown's goal.

Thought the too many men penalty was a bit chintzy, considering what Vancouver got away with on New Years Eve, but whatever.

I liked what I saw from Doughty, Voynov, and Johnson. Agreed that Scuderi had a bad game.

Credit to the Flames for staying in it though.

For better or worse, a point is still better than 0, and it separated the Kings from the bottom half of the West

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
lumbergh

From Puck Daddy today:

Quote:
Surprise, surprise, the LA Kings game went to a shootout. They lost, 2-1 to the Calgary Flames after Michael Cammalleri's shootout goal. This means it's time to flip their exceedingly flippable 8-1-6 record under Darryl Sutter to the negative side. Had they won, I'd say they only have one regulation loss in 15 games. But they lost, so they've only won 8 of 15.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
That's the problem.

Which is exactly what the NHL wants and why it won't be changing any time soon.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:43 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I could care less if they aren't good at shootouts. Guess what's not in the playoffs? Shootouts.
Guess what also might not be in the playoffs at this rate? The Kings...

These loser points they are getting are also giving points to other teams that are chasing them and that's bound to catch up to them sooner or later.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I like Loktionov's line, but he needs a finisher. He doesn't have to be terribly skilled, but some type of vet who can put himself in a scoring position.

Stoll is sucking the offensive threat out of the second line.

Kopitar's line was good. Loved Brown's goal.

Thought the too many men penalty was a bit chintzy, considering what Vancouver got away with on New Years Eve, but whatever.

I liked what I saw from Doughty, Voynov, and Johnson. Agreed that Scuderi had a bad game.

Credit to the Flames for staying in it though.

For better or worse, a point is still better than 0, and it separated the Kings from the bottom half of the West

What can you do with the second line though?

Richards-Loktionov-Lewis?
Richardson-Stoll-Penner?
Maybe?

Penner-Richards-Lewis
Richardson-Loktionov-Stoll

I think Stoll there would kill that third line and still doesn't help Loki get someone who can finish.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote