HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dreger: Canadiens interested in Roy

Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Right. I forgot market inflation in Montreal is 56876.43%, where Derek Roy got Eller alone is overpayment by the Habs. Dumb.
Roy is making 4M a year, and wouldn't stand out on the Habs roster as he's just another tiny, speedy player. Eller is making quite a bit less, brings a big strong body is discovering how to use it to put up points.

In what world does the Canadiens trading for Roy make any sense? Let alone trading a very young, big centre. Something they've been missing since... the early 90s or something.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Montreal needs a #1 Center not another #2. They already have 2 of those.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I'm lukewarm about Eller. I just don't see it with him. I think he'll settle in to being an above-average 3rd liner/below-average 2nd liner, but unless that + is something significant, not sure I'd move Roy within the division, especially with more attractive assets on non-division teams.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm lukewarm about Eller. I just don't see it with him. I think he'll settle in to being an above-average 3rd liner/below-average 2nd liner, but unless that + is something significant, not sure I'd move Roy within the division, especially with more attractive assets on non-division teams.
My thoughts exactly.

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Zip15

Also, I've lost a lot of confidence in Dreger over the last 12 months. He's certainly not in the McKenzie/LeBrun category for me anymore. Seems like he chases a lot of Leafs/Habs rumors to drive traffic. I'd like to hear his exact quote this morning to ascertain if this is more along the lines of Montreal kicking tires upon hearing Roy could be available, or Montreal is after Derek Roy.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Right. I forgot market inflation in Montreal is 56876.43%, where Derek Roy got Eller alone is overpayment by the Habs. Dumb.
It's like if I was saying Buffalo was trading one of their top prospects for Gionta. Would your fans agree to it? Would they expect to have to give up their top prospect/sophomore/etc and a 1st for Gionta? Get real bro. And I'm by no means trying to downplay Roy as a player but he's the last thing we need right now.

Maybe if the + on Eller is Gomez, otherwise chances are slim to nil imo. We'll have to wait and see I guess but personally no, I would not trade Lars Eller straight up for Roy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Is that because Leblanc is a super blue chip prospect?
Well you know Montreal is all about the French Canadians.

Maybe they want Grags?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Hold out for their first at least -- it's a division thing and direct competition in the standings. Another first, this one in the 10-15 range, could land them Gaunce.
I am all aboard this idea. Build up draft picks, hopefull this year and try to get a few first rounders, be aggressive with trading up the board and draft 2 of Grigorenko, Gaunce, Girgensons or Galchenyuk. Suddenly build up some talented centers with size.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I hate these threads.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Well you know Montreal is all about the French Canadians.

Maybe they want Grags?
I aint french and we dont need nor want another midget. PG said in his press conference last week we need and will get bigger. Why would he trade for another tiny #2 center ?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I hope, after this road trip concludes at 0-6, that it is clear that the "top 6 for top 6" route is NOT the one they should take.
Unless he means top six player for top six pick.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's like if I was saying Buffalo was trading one of their top prospects for Gionta. Would your fans agree to it? Would they expect to have to give up their top prospect/sophomore/etc and a 1st for Gionta? Get real bro. And I'm by no means trying to downplay Roy as a player but he's the last thing we need right now.

Maybe if the + on Eller is Gomez, otherwise chances are slim to nil imo. We'll have to wait and see I guess but personally no, I would not trade Lars Eller straight up for Roy.
If your comparing Roy to Gionta your absolutely downplaying Roy as a player and I don't even like Roy.

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
If your comparing Roy to Gionta your absolutely downplaying Roy as a player and I don't even like Roy.
Yeah, pretty much why I said I hate these threads.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:29 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I doubt the Habs would trade Eller for Roy, let alone Eller + for him... would be a step backwards for the Canadiens in every sense of the term.
Well technically, they shouln't but consisering the management team in place it wounldn't actually surprise me.

Quote:
It's not about Roy's worth, it's about context. We are not making the playoffs with or without Derek Roy so why would we give a promising 22 year old center for him. Mtl and Buffalo don't make good trading parters anyway since they should both be sellers. Would you currently deal a promising young player (+ a first) for Plekanec considering where your team is in the standings. No. Must make you a homer.

PS: Sorry for the board invasion, I can assure you that most Montreal fans feel for you guys since we are in the same situation. Kind of crazy how our respective teams always seem to have so much in commun.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
If we give up a fist I'm officially switching teams.

For the first time since 2005 we're gonna have a top-10 draft pick (most likely) and I want to draft someone that will have an impact. If PG thinks he can salvage the season by trading for a 5'9" center then he's not smart.

Last edited by TP: 01-22-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: mod edit
Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Afino
The Juice

We are not worried, Habs fans. Talk away. If anything we need some fresh cynicism around here

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Zip15

Just heard the direct quote. Dreger said "teams are kicking tires, and, believe it or not, Montreal Canadiens have some interest." He added that he doesn't think anything is imminent.

We're probably making more of this than we should.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
I aint french and we dont need nor want another midget. PG said in his press conference last week we need and will get bigger. Why would he trade for another tiny #2 center ?
Who knows. Maybe he just wanted more grounds for canning Cammy in a terrible deal.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
The Habs are probably looking into it to see if they can get him for pennies on the dollar, which they almost certainly won't be able to. I doubt it amounts to much more than that. Roy is a very good player and Montreal isn't really in a position to logically trade fair market value for him.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
We're probably making more of this than we should.
Just listened as well. Don't we always?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
odishabs

hello all!

Habs fan here in peace, and to shed a light from the Habs perspective in term of a return for Roy. I can tell you the Habs do not acquire Roy without giving up Desharnais. Simply for the fact that there is no way in hell they go with 5'9/5'9/5'11/6'2 up the middle. Also they will not deal Eller (our only centre over 6 feet) unless its part of a bigger package including desharnais and some of your other players.

It sounds foolish but i dont see this trade happening unless desharnais is going the other way without eller going with him.

Desharnais
Kostitsyn
1st round pick

for

Roy

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Who knows. Maybe he just wanted more grounds for canning Cammy in a terrible deal.
I guess you missed most of Cammys season eh ? Yep he is good in the playoffs. But thats useless when you can't make them.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
hello all!

Habs fan here in peace, and to shed a light from the Habs perspective in term of a return for Roy. I can tell you the Habs do not acquire Roy without giving up Desharnais. Simply for the fact that there is no way in hell they go with 5'9/5'9/5'11/6'2 up the middle. Also they will not deal Eller (our only centre over 6 feet) unless its part of a bigger package including desharnais and some of your other players.

It sounds foolish but i dont see this trade happening unless desharnais is going the other way without eller going with him.

Desharnais
Kostitsyn
1st round pick

for

Roy
Please dont listen to this man. He is obviously an imposter. We are not trading Desharnais amidst this stupid french thing thats going on, and are most certainlyNOT trading our first rd pick this year.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
hello all!

Desharnais
Kostitsyn
1st round pick

for

Roy
Done.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Minute Major

Make a deal, if possible, Roy for Carey Price. Maybe other parts or picks need to be involved.

Then, have another seperate deal where we find a trade partner for Ryan Miller.

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote