HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone have trouble fitting pants because of hockey?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
MD Moose

vCash: 500
Anyone have trouble fitting pants because of hockey?

I know this may seem an odd question, and I assume most, if not all, in this forum play hockey, but does anyone have trouble with the fit of your pants because of hockey?

What I mean is, from playing hockey and training involved, you generally get stronger thigh and butt, hence they get bigger. Without any waist size getting bigger but merely thigh and butt area I've been having trouble with the fit of pants being too tight. But then going to a larger waist size then makes them loose in that area. It seems like the cut of most clothes out there are made for people that are not athetic. Having a terrible time finding clothes with the right fit.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Stickmata

Nothing to do with hockey, but yes I have this problem and it is very difficult to find jeans that will go over my thighs and not be huge in the waist. I'm a 32 waist, but my thighs are big even though the rest of my body is skinny. The best I found were the Levi's Silvertab baggy fit, but they discontinued them. Been looking for something new but haven't found anything.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Nothing to do with hockey, but yes I have this problem and it is very difficult to find jeans that will go over my thighs and not be huge in the waist. I'm a 32 waist, but my thighs are big even though the rest of my body is skinny. The best I found were the Levi's Silvertab baggy fit, but they discontinued them. Been looking for something new but haven't found anything.
Yours may not be attributable to hockey, but that is the typical hockey physique, big thighs and butt, and not a big waist. I suppose football players may also have the same type of physique. I wonder why they discontinued Silvertab? Hopefully someone can post something that will fit better.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Aftcomet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Hips like a woman. I got the same problem. But that's why I'm very stable down low when playing sports. And it should be a huge advantage in hockey.

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:08 AM
noobman

When I was a little younger and a lot fitter yes, I had to get pants a size up on the waist (36 instead of 34) and have them darted at the waist so my damn legs could fit in them.

Nowadays it's size 38 "relaxed" fit.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
I know this may seem an odd question, and I assume most, if not all, in this forum play hockey, but does anyone have trouble with the fit of your pants because of hockey?

What I mean is, from playing hockey and training involved, you generally get stronger thigh and butt, hence they get bigger. Without any waist size getting bigger but merely thigh and butt area I've been having trouble with the fit of pants being too tight. But then going to a larger waist size then makes them loose in that area. It seems like the cut of most clothes out there are made for people that are not athetic. Having a terrible time finding clothes with the right fit.
I have been playing since i was 12 so my thighs are like speed skater thighs. I usually have to go up a size in jeans and go a little longer in the leg to make up for it.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
pelts35.com

Funny I stumbled across this thread. My 6 year old son has already outgrown his size 6 jeans after 3 months of playing hockey 3 times per week as his thighs have become more muscular.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Ozz

As a weight lifter, pants shopping for me sucks. I've got a 34" waist and 28" thighs. I might have 2 pairs of pants that are size 34 that I can even fit into; the rest are 36 or 38 just so my thighs have room.

Back when I only played hockey and didn't lift, I'd be surprised if they were even 22". Pants were never an issue just because of hockey since I had Malkin legs.

Last edited by Ozz: 01-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
once you hit that stage you just wear sweatpants dude

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:01 AM
backhander

yep...sweatpants!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
goalie29

I'm female, so pants are not a problem.

But my house league team was talking a few weeks ago that none of us, even the naturally skinny, can easily find boots to fit our calves. You could see the light bulbs going on in people all over the room - that we all have skating in common and all have big calves for our builds.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Same problem. Playing hockey and mounting biking since I was 10. Done wonders for my health and physique but has completely ruined my ability to buy pants.

I've also had a problem blowing out the crotches in pants when I squat down and whatnot.

I mostly shop at thrift stores. You'll find all kinds and styles of pants and can usually find something that will fit and look good. Plus they're cheap.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
As somebody who likes clean lines and trim fit, it is an issue. More for khakis and trousers than for jeans, since slim khakis and trousers assume that you're plain old thin rather than fit. If you have muscles, it throws 'em for a loop.

I have a model of jeans that works well for me though, so I'm set on those.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
once you hit that stage you just wear sweatpants dude
You can't if you have a job, and there are quite a few people who would rather not look like utter slobs regardless of workplace standards.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

My (slender) Asian genes override my hockey playing, so I don't have that issue.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

Sweatpants for life.

Last edited by ArcataShark: 01-22-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: nope
ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You can't if you have a job, and there are quite a few people who would rather not look like utter slobs regardless of workplace standards.
You haven't met the hollister etc. companies yet have you Sweatpants are really "in" right now in highschool so alot of us are wearing them. There making some pretty comforable and respectable sweatpants nowadays that don't look bad at all really.

Anywho, try sportschek and places specifically for athletic people. More often than not you can find some nice pants for hanging out and going to town made by Reebok but I wouldn't wear those to a lawyers firm.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Hooah4

Same here. In my case it's my genetic code (Austrian- with my family coming from Innsbruck) to have big thighs and butt. Even when I was in HS with my size 28(!) waist I had trouble fitting in anything other than relaxed fit jeans. As I've aged it's harder between training and the inevitable metabolic slowdown that comes along. It's great for hockey though!

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Running into the same problem, especially with different companies keep discontining styles of jeans. I could probably wear a 33/30, but because of my legs everything is snug. I go up to a 34/30 relaxed fit and I've been able to find jeans a little easier, although finding a pair in that size is also a challenge. Ozz, a 34-28? I couldn't imagine the trouble you have finding not just jeans but pants in general.

Ended up going shopping a few weeks ago for a new pair of jeans and the whole shopping experience was a ****show. I usually try to replace one pair that is no longer work-worthy with another pair. Since I work in a remote office with a lot of people in field support, jeans (as long as they're not hammered and have holes) are acceptable to wear. Now my weight jumps +/- 5 lbs around my 195, but the waist size never changes or gets snug. I tried onto a bunch of 34/30 relaxed fit/baggy fit and NOTHING fit. I figured maybe it's a new pattern or that maybe I gained more weight than I knew about, so I went up to a 35/30. Those actually fit worse than the 34/30s that I tried. After 5 stores and 2 hours, I gave up.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My uncle got so big playing hockey he ended up becoming a pro body builder. At that point, he lived in Zubaz.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My uncle got so big playing hockey he ended up becoming a pro body builder. At that point, he lived in Zubaz.
let me guess....Zubaz, Gold's gym tank, mullet, and Oakley's? Standard attire for 1991.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Running into the same problem, especially with different companies keep discontining styles of jeans. I could probably wear a 33/30, but because of my legs everything is snug. I go up to a 34/30 relaxed fit and I've been able to find jeans a little easier, although finding a pair in that size is also a challenge. Ozz, a 34-28? I couldn't imagine the trouble you have finding not just jeans but pants in general.
I'm a 34/32. I meant my thighs are 28" in circumference which means 99% of my pants are bigger in the waist than necessary just so my thighs will fit into them.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
let me guess....Zubaz, Gold's gym tank, mullet, and Oakley's? Standard attire for 1991.
No mullet but otherwise spot on, and it was about 1990

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have had this issue to a degree I used to run 5 miles every other day and now I can't b/c of hockey. So I supplement 2 days of running with 2 days of hockey. My weight has gone up to 185 from 175 and I am 5'9." My waist has stayed the same (34) but the slim fit jeans have been retired. The good thing is my fat ass has made me very strong on the puck. Even my instructors can't knock me off it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
IDuck

yup started noticing the same thing....im like a 33 or 34 waist and have to buy 36 and always wear a belt because the seem like 2 size's to big in the waist....weird because i just started noticing this a few weeks ago and just figured that jean "style" had changed, as i dont like the skin tight jeans

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote