HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals vs Canadians. 7:30pm. Bell Centre. 1.18.2012

Old
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Some of you guys would make great politicians. Do you just ignore the questions that you don't like the answer to?
I would love to see you take the time to bother to answer Tex's parade questions in which he is trying to goad you into saying something for which he has already planned his next spin.

Which questions have I not answered? Ignoring the ignores of course.

War ends when the troops are home. Not taping up a banner on an aircraft carrier for a photo op right after the war just started. Photoshopping Dale of all people on it =

If you wanted Bruce fired, but were angry about him being fired, I hope people can understand why your posts would be ignored.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Some of you guys would make great politicians. Do you just ignore the questions that you don't like the answer to?

I don't think you'll hear anyone arguing with you that this team was a mess when DH took over, but you said the war IS won. What war were you talking about? What did they do to win it? Was the giant steaming dump they took on home ice the other night evidence of this great victory?

Would you have brushed off the team's lack of physical play last night as a byproduct of "Lemieux's NHL" if it had been BB at the helm? I have a feeling that the players and the head coach especially would have taken a much larger share of the blame.
Re-read his post. He didn't say the war IS won. He said the war IS over.
Over doesn't equal victory.

Last edited by Vladiator16*: 01-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Because it was asked for, I looked at the ES quality shots in the game (I defined 'quality shots' as anything in the box formed by the tops of the circles, the outer edges of the circles, and the goal line):

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I didn't get to watch the whole thing, as I was at work but I watched the game before and stat wise it was similar. The game on Tuesday was AWFUL and I haven't liked the way we have been playing for the past few games or so. According to others on here, last night was similar to those other games
LesPaul I am going to have to make a page for you on wikipedia.

We can coin a new term after you.

Box Score *****er Someone that will complain about a 3-0 win on the road. Based on a box score of a game they did not see.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Because it was asked for, I looked at the ES quality shots in the game (I defined 'quality shots' as anything in the box formed by the tops of the circles, the outer edges of the circles, and the goal line):

Yes, this has to improve, the numbers were ugly... but winning on the road, without Backstom, after playing the night before has to count for something.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post

Box Score *****er Someone that will complain about a 3-0 win on the road. Based on a box score of a game they did not see.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Carlzner

Quote:

thank you

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:

GREAT Post!

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Halpysback*

Apparently every win under Hunter should have an asterisk next to it because derp

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:02 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I was a optimist before it was cool!

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:37 AM
tmljeh19

This place really blows my mind sometimes. In all honesty who cares how many shots we tally per game if we are winning? Would it honestly make that much of a difference if they had 50 shots last night? They are winning and not sporadically either. 4 wins and and 2 losses. Followed by 3 wins and a loss. Now a road win shutout. I don't remember who said it in the locker room interview but they mentioned they need to string together 3-5 wins in a row before dropping a game or two. That's how you climb standings and secure playoff spots and they are doing just that. You don't need 50 shots per game to do so.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
This place really blows my mind sometimes. In all honesty who cares how many shots we tally per game if we are winning? Would it honestly make that much of a difference if they had 50 shots last night? They are winning and not sporadically either. 4 wins and and 2 losses. Followed by 3 wins and a loss. Now a road win shutout. I don't remember who said it in the locker room interview but they mentioned they need to string together 3-5 wins in a row before dropping a game or two. That's how you climb standings and secure playoff spots and they are doing just that. You don't need 50 shots per game to do so.
the question on shots isnt that the caps got outshot in the one win. its that they have gotten outshot in 16 of 22 games in this system and were outshot 31-15 in this game. complaints on that subject is really an overall complaint.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
I think the issue some people have with the low shot totals is how sustainable that method is long term. Just like how some people didn't think the run-and-gun method would last over 4 rounds in the playoffs, I think people are questioning if this route is capable of winning 4 out of every 7 games, 4 times in a row.

In the game against Montreal, it was like a mirror image of what happened in 2010. They rang shots off the post and rebound chances hopped over people's sticks. The Caps lost the puck possession game, dodged numerous power plays after some lazy penalties, got a goal on a 1-in-100 type shot from MP and a weak goal from Mojo. That Montreal team squeaked out two series wins before getting plastered by Flyers team after their luck finally ran out. I can see the same thing happening with the Caps. If that is the ultimate goal for this season, I'd rather see them be sellers.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Knuble. Its true, but wouldn't you like to see at least 25 shots on goal a game? That would indicate more puck possession and less time pinned in our zone blocking shots.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
I think the issue some people have with the low shot totals is how sustainable that method is long term. Just like how some people didn't think the run-and-gun method would last over 4 rounds in the playoffs, I think people are questioning if this route is capable of winning 4 out of every 7 games, 4 times in a row.

In the game against Montreal, it was like a mirror image of what happened in 2010. They rang shots off the post and rebound chances hopped over people's sticks. The Caps lost the puck possession game, dodged numerous power plays after some lazy penalties, got a goal on a 1-in-100 type shot from MP and a weak goal from Mojo. That Montreal team squeaked out two series wins before getting plastered by Flyers team after their luck finally ran out. I can see the same thing happening with the Caps. If that is the ultimate goal for this season, I'd rather see them be sellers.
Even thou I understand and mostly agree with illustrated logic i also see it as a win on the road playing second game in 2 days, against a team who is desperate just like we are, overcoming 7 power plays for a shutout... those penalties weren't that lazy imo, **** we got hit with 3 on Earskine sequence alone, and they got away with bunch of stuff that should've been called, but again we overcame. It wasn't pretty, but heck of a lot prettier than a L. As others have said, hopefully after we learn to be responsible with the puck in our own zone offense (goals) will come.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:58 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Thank you for the taking time. I would count 6. I give Montreal 10. Neuvy did well. Down so much of the game on the PK, will squash quality shots, and of course, shots.

Quality plays like MP's goal, was not a soft goal. Without over thinking it, goals should count. Its not a fluke if Ovi on point sees a Brow screen and the puck goes in. With so little discussions on QS, I don't know what they are technically. Many missed shots are quality chances IMO. Something we seem to specialize at. Shots off the post are QS to me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020681

I believe the most telling shot discussions can be had by looking at our most fabled playoff losses in our teams history.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Knuble. Its true, but wouldn't you like to see at least 25 shots on goal a game? That would indicate more puck possession and less time pinned in our zone blocking shots.
True but how do we know that it isn't something that's being worked on or discussed behind closed doors? Point I'm trying to make is what is the point in *****ing about it endlessly if we are winning? This is in no way directed at you but at the people who do this every chance they get. I find it really hard to believe that DH is pleased with every aspect of their play from the win. I'm sure its an aspect of their game that he is trying to fix. I say when the trend is reversed and we are accumulating low shot totals and losing 3-5 games before winning one, then it's time to freak out. For now enjoy the winning and have a tad bit of faith that it's bein worked on.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Even thou I understand and mostly agree with illustrated logic i also see it as a win on the road playing second game in 2 days, against a team who is desperate just like we are, overcoming 7 power plays for a shutout... those penalties weren't that lazy imo, **** we got hit with 3 on Earskine sequence alone, and they got away with bunch of stuff that should've been called, but again we overcame. It wasn't pretty, but heck of a lot prettier than a L. As others have said, hopefully after we learn to be responsible with the puck in our own zone offense (goals) will come.
For some reason I thought Alzner had a holding call during that game. Must have been the one before. I consider the hold by Halpern to be lazy, and I'm not sure what I'd call the playing with a broken stick and puck over the glass penalties. Definitely not good penalties like those to stop a scoring chance or cross checking a guy in the crease.

A W is obviously better than an L, but I didn't see a whole lot of improvements in that game over previous ones. If they can take something from it and build on it though, so much the better.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
For some reason I thought Alzner had a holding call during that game. Must have been the one before. I consider the hold by Halpern to be lazy, and I'm not sure what I'd call the playing with a broken stick and puck over the glass penalties. Definitely not good penalties like those to stop a scoring chance or cross checking a guy in the crease.

A W is obviously better than an L, but I didn't see a whole lot of improvements in that game over previous ones. If they can take something from it and build on it though, so much the better.
Alzners penalty was a cheap one and OV clearly hit the glass, the ref just missed it... Halpern's thing i just don't remember, may be it was well deserved may be it wasn't... but its a game, there always be some fackups...

There was a lot of improvement over the Islanders game.... i just want to block that game out of my mind. As you said thou, i hope they learn and build on their mistakes...

Old
01-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Alzners penalty was a cheap one and OV clearly hit the glass, the ref just missed it... Halpern's thing i just don't remember, may be it was well deserved may be it wasn't... but its a game, there always be some fackups...

There was a lot of improvement over the Islanders game.... i just want to block that game out of my mind. As you said thou, i hope they learn and build on their mistakes...
I must have blocked out the Islanders game too. Anything would have been better than that performance. Baby steps, I guess.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:56 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

One thing I saw that I didn't like was that after the first period, the Caps had more scoring chances than shots on net, meaning that they had prime opportunities on which Price didn't even have to make a save. The eye test verifies this. They've got to at least get their chances on net.

Keep in mind that I have no idea how that state looks for the rest of the season, or game, or historically, or for other teams.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Thank you for the taking time. I would count 6. I give Montreal 10. Neuvy did well. Down so much of the game on the PK, will squash quality shots, and of course, shots.

Quality plays like MP's goal, was not a soft goal. Without over thinking it, goals should count. Its not a fluke if Ovi on point sees a Brow screen and the puck goes in. With so little discussions on QS, I don't know what they are technically. Many missed shots are quality chances IMO. Something we seem to specialize at. Shots off the post are QS to me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020681

I believe the most telling shot discussions can be had by looking at our most fabled playoff losses in our teams history.
It was probably to be expected that Montreal had about twice the ES QS that we did.

And I don't think the Montreal series tells us anything about ES QS, other than Halak was crazy good against them. That series outcome was a fluke, plain and simple.

It's abundantly clear to me that the lack of QS and scoring chances (and the common disparity between the Caps and the opposition) needs to be remedied for the team to have any kind of sustained success. They're simply not going to survive in the playoffs if they're under siege every game (see the Pittsburgh series).

There's really no way that the staff is happy with the offensive effort. They're not stupid. They know that's not how you win games consistently.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Good post nbtw. While I think people could bicker in isolation about ovi's goal with screen being quality, if you keep the criteria constant in that area I think it all washes out.

The coaching staff surely isn't happy. But I'd say they know what they have and they are concentrating on execution. The gm really needs to look at the make-up. But given the constraint of injury to nb/mg and Dh on 1 yr, not sure what he can do.... Or should do for 1 yr.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote