HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 5.0 - ***"TRAID STALL!!!1111"***

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2012, 10:27 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
He's 10 games in and played 26+ minutes last nite! What, does he need to get his freakin feet wet for 50 games before he's fair game? His pinch and turnover last nite where "Classic Staal" in that he's done it before many times and will continue to do it again. I'm not advocating for his trade right now but in the FUTURE to get a legit goal scorer, I would dump him in a heartbeat!
Uhh, well considering he didn't have a training camp and has only played a whopping 9 games I would say he deserves quite a bit more time to get his feet under him. Everyone else is in mid-season form. He is still in training camp.

Last edited by NYR Viper: 01-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old
01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Onion Boy

I wonder if the underlying concern many have about Staal is that he may never return to his old self.

No evidence to that effect so far, but something that has to be in the back of everyone's mind.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Vitto79

from tsn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385596

NHL's Most Wanted

With multiple teams in the hunt for a top-six forward, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun runs down the list of names that may be available on in a piece on ESPN.com.

The list includes Derek Roy, Brad Boyes and Drew Stafford in Buffalo; Vaclav Prospal, Antoine Vermette and Kristian Huselius in Columbus; Ales Hemsky in Edmonton; Tuomo Ruutu in Carolina; and Jason Blake in Anaheim.

aaaaaaand the list blows......lol

Ruutu for sure, Hemsky sadly may be the 2nd best option

Vinny makes sense........Huselius hurt all yr ,Vermette has a terrible deal............Blake may be ok and has played in NY

Roy is a C........Stafford is overrated I think.........Boyes used to be awesome but not so much anymore

Old
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
There are many fans that actually agree with you(myself included) but there are many more fans who look at Staal like he's some kind of God on defense, Mr. Elite Shutdown Defender or whatever. Look, it really is premature to be talking about this with Staal coming off a horrendous game and Sauer's health still a huge question mark. I will say that(and I've stated this before ad infinitum) that going forward, this team is going to have to make some tough decisions down the road due to constraints with the salary cap and given the choice of who to move of our defensive core, I believe we'd be better served moving Staal before anyone else. Needless to say, this is based on McD's and MDZ's game continuing to grow and Erikson and Mcilrath joining the lineup and becoming a serviceable pairing.

Marc Staal would bring more in a trade than any of our other defenseman because of who he is and how he's perceived by the rest of the league. I've stated this before, McDonagh(especially), Girardi and perhaps even MDZ have better upside than Staal!
Way to exaggerate things. We recognized him for his great defensive game. There are also who think he is a 5th defenseman. Fighting an extreme with an extreme doesn't prove a point, although it is really not an extreme to say that before his injury he was an elite defensive defensman.

01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Uhh, well considering he didn't have a training camp and has only played a whopping 9 games I would say he deserves quite a bit more time to get his feet under him. Everyone else is in mid-season form. He is still in training camp.
Thats not okay though. Due to his last name being Staal and because people love to call him over rated and use any excuse they can to bash on him he isn't allowed to take time to adjust after not playing for nearly a year. Staal doesn't get time to adjust and should have walked into his first game, played 27 minutes and scored a hat-trick.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Vitto79

Read: Marc Staal Went Over 20 Minutes Last Night
posted on January 20th, 2012 at 11:22 am

In his ninth game since returning from a concussion, Marc Staal played close to 25 minutes, five minutes more than he had played at any other point in this season.

Staal was a minus two and pinched in on the game winning goal and misplayed the puck on Evgeni Malkins goal.

Dan Girardi told the Daily News that Staal still needs some time to get his timing back, Its tough when you miss that much time, even if you miss one game, your timing gets off and I think hes doing a really good job staying with the minutes hes getting right now and Im sure as the games go on hes going to get more and more opportunities to play.

I understand the get rid of Woywitka when he screwed up in the Dallas game but Staal?

Old
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
OverTheCap

It's bad enough that Staal had to suffer a concussion that made him unable to play for almost 9 months, but the fans' lack of patience and willingness to give up on Staal only 9 games after his return is sickening. I assumed that turning on players after they suffered concussions was a deplorable trait unique to Flyers fans, guess I was wrong.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's bad enough that Staal had to suffer a concussion that made him unable to play for almost 9 months, but the fans' lack of patience and willingness to give up on Staal only 9 games after his return is sickening. I assumed that turning on players after they suffered concussions was a deplorable trait unique to Flyers fans, guess I was wrong.
Quote:
I understand the get rid of Woywitka when he screwed up in the Dallas game but Staal?
Our fanbase is an incredibly fickle, "What have you done for me lately" group.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
GAGLine

All the people who actually think we should trade Staal are probably the same ones who said we should trade Girardi. Fair weather fans.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The lunatic fringe is out today. The fan base which wanted Girardi gone and was up in arms when Sather gave him a 4 year contract. McDonagh should be traded because the Rangers traded for him to include in a deal for Heatley(so said some guy writing for Hockeybuzz)and how good is McDonagh if Montreal gave him up in the Gomez deal. The same fan base which felt DZ should start the season in the AHL. It was trade Gaborik last season. Let's trade Staal. Wonderful.

Let's make a trade for the sake of making a trade. The Rangers did that with McCabe last season. He wasn't much help. Most of the current available players are McCabes. As Brooks wrote,there is a single player who can propel the Rangers past the 1st round when some of those players haven't had much playoff success in their careers.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Captain Monglobster

I thought the trade Staal posts were a joke when I first saw them. Are you people serious? You want to trade an All-Star defenceman because a puck went between his legs in his 10th game back after missing half a season.

Do hockey a favor and pick a different sport to watch.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

It was trade Girardi last offseason, Del Zotto last season, Staal now,..

Who's turn is up next?

Im going with McDonagh for next season. Trade McDonagh!

Old
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The lunatic fringe is out today. The fan base which wanted Girardi gone and was up in arms when Sather gave him a 4 year contract. McDonagh should be traded because the Rangers traded for him to include in a deal for Heatley(so said some guy writing for Hockeybuzz)and how good is McDonagh if Montreal gave him up in the Gomez deal. The same fan base which felt DZ should start the season in the AHL. It was trade Gaborik last season. Let's trade Staal. Wonderful.

Let's make a trade for the sake of making a trade. The Rangers did that with McCabe last season. He wasn't much help. Most of the current available players are McCabes. As Brooks wrote,there is a single player who can propel the Rangers past the 1st round when some of those players haven't had much playoff success in their careers.
It would almost be worth the ban to spam that post in every thread on the Rangers part of the forum.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
OverTheCap

In the past 3 seasons or so, I think I've seen just about every Ranger included in a trade proposal on this board. There were even some crazies who wanted to trade Lundqvist a few years ago because Chad Johnson was going to be the second coming of Patrick Roy. I think there are some fans who get more of a kick out of making silly trade proposals than watching games.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
ok then we will agree to disagree. I don't mind him pinching here and there btw..........they got scored on, it happens
I hear you and I agree to an extent. The problem is that Staal has never made good decisions when it comes to pinching in since Torts arrived here. When he pinched last nite, we all looked at each other in section 411 and said, "What the **** is he doing?". I honestly believe that Staal doesn't have a feel for that part of the game and he can't get away with like a Ryan McDonagh can because he's a far superior skater than Staal is.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Hensch

Quote:
In the past 3 seasons or so, I think I've seen just about every Ranger included in a trade proposal on this board. There were even some crazies who wanted to trade Lundqvist a few years ago because Chad Johnson was going to be the second coming of Patrick Roy. I think there are some fans who get more of a kick out of making silly trade proposals than watching games.
Ahhh... where is that thread, it's quite amusing!

Old
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

If I may offer a point of view somewhere in the middle of the extremism above...

You CLEARLY don't trade Staal just to trade Staal. You CLEARLY don't go shopping him around the league. Staal for a basket of picks and prospects doesn't make sense in pretty much any universe.

Having said that, there were threads on both our board and the Ducks board a year or so ago where I think most posters agreed Ryan for Staal as the basis of a trade (potentially with peripherals thrown in depending on who you thought had more value) might make sense. Young defensive stud on a favorable contract locked up for the next several years traded for a young offensive stud on a favorable contract locked up for the next several years. Trading from positions of strength in each case to shore up weaknesses in each case.

If management is confident in the defensive core and believes that Erixon is ready to go on the left side, you might consider such a blockbuster. Think about what that looks like when everyone is healthy:

Dubinsky/Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Ryan-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Dubinsky/Anisimov-Fedotenko
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Sauer
Erixon-Eminger

I am not saying it's a no-brainer. Management clearly values the chemistry developed among the oft-mentioned "core" and it might be a non-starter for that reason if no other. But, by the same token, I don't think it's a ridiculous, far-fetched notion. If I were GM and such an offer were available, I would at least have to think about it - especially given Staal's health, the team's performance without him and the overall lack of pure offensive talent on the roster.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I stated all of the above last summer dude. It has nothing to do with forgeting anything here. I stated that Staal has limited upside especially offensively and that he makes mindless decisions when pinching in and turns the puck over way too much. I think last nite's game is aberdeen proof of what I stated and he now has 10 games under his belt since he returned.

I'll repeat myself, going forward into the future(1,2 yrs down the road)n we would be much better served moving Staal for that much needed goal scorer. Somehow(assuming Erikson and Mcilrath work out), I believe this team would survive and even thrive if that happened.
If by limited upside, you mean a top-pairing defenseman, then yes, it is rather limited.

Him making such gaffes as last night is an exception and not the rule. To even compare MCD to him is rather silly.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
CHS

Missing the training camp is huge and for the first couple of games Staal played, what, 7-8 minutes a game. Of course he won't be up to scratch yet. He's just now upping his minutes to the 20 mark and it will take some time to get back to where he was before the injury. I don't doubt we'll see the old Staal soon though and trading him away now is a terrible idea. People need to show a bit of patience after horrible concussions like this.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sauer leave if we are trading away a defenceman though. Clearly not of the same value as Staal but he's now a proven top 4 defenceman. If MDZ is as comfortable on the right side as Sam Rosen made out last night then go for it. He's injury prone with less upside than MDZ and Bickel (later on McIlrath) will replace the mean streak. This is of course if we can put together a good package for a significant offensive upgrade.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not only that, but there are people who legitimately think that Staal is not a good player even at 100% and when he's playing his game. The game last night was just a chance for opportunists and cheap-shot artists to come out and chirp. When Staal gets his timing back and is the rock back there we all know him to be, these people are STILL going to complain.

Honestly, it amazes me that people could watch all the games and not realize that Staal is an upper-tier defensive defenseman in this league.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If I may offer a point of view somewhere in the middle of the extremism above...
I don't know, BRF. Defensemen for forwards, i am not a fan of. Granted, this is only an example, but I remember when Montreal traded Chellios for Savard. My dad looked at me and said "you NEVER trade defensemen for forwards". Kind of like giving up pitching for hitting. Defense wins. Always has.

As for lack offensive talent, Gaborik and Richards are bona-fide top-liners, no? Callahan and Dubinsky are second liners, no? This should not be an offensively challenged team.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not only that, but there are people who legitimately think that Staal is not a good player even at 100% and when he's playing his game. The game last night was just a chance for opportunists and cheap-shot artists to come out and chirp. When Staal gets his timing back and is the rock back there we all know him to be, these people are STILL going to complain.

Honestly, it amazes me that people could watch all the games and not realize that Staal is an upper-tier defensive defenseman in this league.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
CM PUNK

the idea of trading staal as an overreaction to his bad game last night is just plain stupidity...

HOWEVER if the idea stems from the fact that we currently have 5 top 4 dmen plus mcilrath and erixon on the way, whether or not we should trade 1 of those dmen to get help up front is less crazy and worth discussion...

if that sentence made any sense LOL

Old
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
the idea of trading staal as an overreaction to his bad game last night is just plain stupidity...

HOWEVER if the idea stems from the fact that we currently have 5 top 4 dmen plus mcilrath and erixon on the way, whether or not we should trade 1 of those dmen to get help up front is less crazy and worth discussion...

if that sentence made any sense LOL
This is all I am saying.. I didn't decide it's time to get rid of Staal because he F'd up last night. As the season went on without him and we played great, it made me think that maybe he is expendable.

Do you guys really think that if the Ducks call and say give us Staal for Ryan, that Glen hangs up laughing?

Not to mention, what if Staal in another hit from retirement? just sayin

Last edited by FATCHAMALA11: 01-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Way to exaggerate things. We recognized him for his great defensive game. There are also who think he is a 5th defenseman. Fighting an extreme with an extreme doesn't prove a point, although it is really not an extreme to say that before his injury he was an elite defensive defensman.
Elite? Ridiculous! I love the way people throw the word elite around st will. When we signed Richards, posters here said "he's an elite player.". Get real, Staal never was and never will be an elite defensive player, not when he makes so many piss poor decisions and fumbles the puck so much.

Closed Thread