HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathias Brunet Worries Gauthier Still Allowed to Make Trades

Old
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Totally agree Andy but think about this

If Molson knows he will can Pierre Gauthier at the end of this season then why on earth does he still want him there making moves especially at this time of the year? The GM that is going to come in might not like his moves or players he picked up and then are going to have to start all over with the new GM's direction. what does that mean, another 3-4-5 years of being mediocre
But that's the thing. We still don't know much about Molson and his philosophy/character/intentions. The guy said at the beginning of the year that the Habs will make the playoffs and then said it again in mid december. Perhaps he firmly believe that and is too stubborn to adjust his views and that push Gauthier into making some moves because he got the order from the boss that the team must try to make the playoffs at any costs.

Now that's just a theory and i may be wrong but with what i'm seeing right now i think it may have some truth behind it. Molson may have an hand in this whole mess. That also doesn't excuse Gauthier , i want him , Gainey and the leftovers of that regime gone asap.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
end of Feb is coming ,when you turn on the computer and see WTH THREADS in the next few weeks, you'll change the tune .

This has shaped up as Houle all over..

The ONLY WAY you let Gauthier trade away players at deadline is ,IF HE WAS GOING TO BE BACK NEXT YEAR....Is he????

If you got a LAME DUCK Gm shapin your future, your dead in the water....
Imo, thus far and after one and a half year, Gauthier's differential between good/bad moves is positive. So even if he is not coming back next season, I feel better with him at the helm vs a guy like Gainey – or as suggested in here, McGuire.

That being mentioned and as I wrote earlier: his downfall could be the Markov's signing though. GAWD our current NHL D squad is awful! Hamrlik Where Art Thou?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
thing is, this new guy would be the GM and he'd have about a month to evaluate (?) everyone and make trade... the guy better work 25H a day
Exactly

That's why I dont understand where this organization is going

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Imo, thus far and after one and a half year, Gauthier's differential between good/bad moves is positive. So even if he is not coming back next season, I feel better with him at the helm vs a guy like Gainey – or as suggested in here, McGuire.

That being mentioned and as I wrote earlier: his downfall could be the Markov's signing though. GAWD our current NHL D squad is awful! Hamrlik Where Art Thou?
come on, let's be real here.

Habs are on pace for WORST SEASON since 1948 and who is the GM?

we're in 13 spot , few points out of 29th in entire NHL ,and what moves has he made again that paid?

We''re near 20 POINTS BEHIND Ottawa...

You claim positive moves ?

I say the guy MISS THE BOAT...

NOW flip flops like a dolphin out of water, 1.5 years TOO LATE realized finally size is IMPORTANT ,after telling the fans it isn't !

This is not a positive move....it killed the Habs...now it's too late...

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm equally worried with the notion that trading Plekanec is a good idea because the Habs have too many centers and he's got the most value.

I'm really curious, and more than a little worried, about what happens next, but the Habs' few seller moves have generally been good to awesome (Rivet for Gorges + 1st!)
Brunet has the HF syndrome to overrate draft picks and prospects.

He would trade Plekanec for a 1st rounder

I mean maybe 3 or 5 of these first rounders (in general in the Top 10) become better or as good as Plekanec.

You just don't trade a player like him for prospects and picks, unless you have much better players ready to take his place (which we don't)

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
The problem with Gauthier is that he might be afraid for his job and tempted to save the season by being a buyer.

I'd prefer a GM that can afford to think long term. If Molson is happy with Gauthier he should make it clear.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
What is with Montreal's media and their need to trash people to get readers? I'm not defending Gauthier but enough is enough, how many times a day do they have to cram this trash down our throats? We get it! The team is not winning, you don't like Gauthier! How about being a little creative with your writing?
you dont like it then dont read it- its that simple- you think they will quit writing these stories because it will make you upset?

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
The problem with Gauthier is that he might be afraid for his job and tempted to save the season by being a buyer.

I'd prefer a GM that can afford to think long term. If Molson is happy with Gauthier he should make it clear.
while i think Goat has the green light to trade certain types of players- i would be shocked if he was given carte blanche with the young Core

Old
01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
come on, let's be real here.

Habs are on pace for WORST SEASON since 1948 and who is the GM?

we're in 13 spot , few points out of 29th in entire NHL ,and what moves has he made again that paid?

We''re near 20 POINTS BEHIND Ottawa...

You claim positive moves ?

I say the guy MISS THE BOAT...

NOW flip flops like a dolphin out of water, 1.5 years TOO LATE realized finally size is IMPORTANT ,after telling the fans it isn't !

This is not a positive move....it killed the Habs...now it's too late...

Our D squad sucks big time and he is the one to blame. As I mentioned, Markov's signing could very well be his downfall.

Let's be real here... do you like the following moves?

The acquisition of Bournival, shipping out an overpriced, high octane pouting smurf for a 2nd round pick + Bourque + a prospect, offering a contract to White but not to Pyatt, sticking with Price instead of Halak, the acquisition of Eller and Schultz, convincing Emelin to cross the ocean, promising drafts (Beaulieu, Pribyl, Tinordi, Gallagher...), Cole's signature...

I am not a huge fan of Gauthier but the witch hunt has to stop: he ain't that bad!

Old
01-20-2012, 01:57 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgalus View Post
He is worried because Gauthier is SHOPPING !!! not because he is allowed to make trades...but because from the info he got, Gauthier is buying and is still working to improve the team and get a playoff spot!!

your title should be : Mathias Brunet wories: Gauthier is a buyer and is shopping around
Bingo. Misleading

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Exactly

That's why I dont understand where this organization is going
really though its not like the next GM is going to be from Peru and has never seen a game - i would think the next Gm would have a pretty good idea of the situation

Old
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Our D squad sucks big time and he is the one to blame. As I mentioned, Markov's signing could very well be his downfall.

The acquisition of Bournival, shipping out an overpriced, high octane pouting smurf for a 2nd round pick + Bourque + a prospect, offering a contract to White but not to Pyatt, sticking with Price instead of Halak, the acquisition of Eller and Schultz, convincing Emelin to cross the ocean, promising drafts (Beaulieu, Pribyl, Tinordi, Gallagher...), Cole's signature...

I am not a huge fan of Gauthier but the witch hunt has to stop: he ain't that bad!

all THESE GOOD MOVES you claim, has got us where??
Is this like golf now, lower the score the better?

Gauthier sunk the team plain and simple .

I don't care about PROMISE....i seen enough PROMISE in my years to understand ,Higgins , Komo, Latendresse, Chipchura,FISHER,Hainsey,Perezhogin could very well be Beaulieu, Pribyl, Tinordi, Gallagher,Bournival

Promise don't mean nothing ...

The half decent one's we do get(SK,Grabs Ribs ,Halak ,McDounagh etc)get traded away for scraps anyways...

Old
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post

The problem is if we're the best team in the NHL for the rest of the season we finish 9th.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Of course he's aloud to make trades otherwise he'd be fired already. I'm almost more worried about Geoff Molson's ability as President & talent assessment at this point. Or maybe he just doesn't want to be paying all these useless guys to sit at home?

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
larek

Quote:

While Gainey made some bad deals- he obviously would have made some of these deals- really the team sucks and Goat is the Gm
like i said in another post i dont think Gauthier will be in high demand as a GM after he is done in Montreal- do you??

Old
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Of course he's aloud to make trades otherwise he'd be fired already. I'm almost more worried about Geoff Molson's ability as President & talent assessment at this point. Or maybe he just doesn't want to be paying all these useless guys to sit at home?
He can end up paying alot more if he doesn't keep tabs on what they're doing.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Of course, you've conveniently left out all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players (some of whom could/should have been kept on the team - earned their spots for sure, but that's another tangent) "gearing up for playoffs", youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts, etc. Now, "all of a sudden", Gauthier finds himself having to rebuild as the result of all his moves, and finds himself with few players and draft picks available to help him do it.

Arguing the intricacies of each move individually isn't really helpful when deciding whether or not to keep a GM. In broader terms, he was part of a process that involved gutting the youth, leadership, and draft picks of this team, and mid way through the process found himself having to blow it up with the team in a tailspin. Problem is, he left himself few avenues for escape through the patchwork process, and that shows a lack of vision/perspective and lack of ability to analyze talent beyond "popular opinion" imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I would allow Gauthier to make any trade he wanted involving Scott Gomez. Other than that it's like being in the car with a drunk driver...

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:

True and also not agreeing to 2 years of Hamrlik (1 not 2)... BUT on the flipside, you have the disgusting Kaberle trade and signing Markov for THAT long without making sure that he can actually skate again. Oh and yes the Wiz is overpaid, but he didn't offer the Wiz anything. He should've at least tried. That's what good GMs do.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Of course, you've conveniently left out all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players (some of whom could/should have been kept on the team - earned their spots for sure, but that's another tangent) "gearing up for playoffs", youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts, etc. Now, "all of a sudden", Gauthier finds himself having to rebuild as the result of all his moves, and finds himself with few players and draft picks available to help him do it.

Arguing the intricacies of each move individually isn't really helpful when deciding whether or not to keep a GM. In broader terms, he was part of a process that involved gutting the youth, leadership, and draft picks of this team, and mid way through the process found himself having to blow it up with the team in a tailspin. Problem is, he left himself few avenues for escape through the patchwork process, and that shows a lack of vision/perspective and lack of ability to analyze talent beyond "popular opinion" imo.
You wrote: "Of course, you've conveniently left out all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players (some of whom could/should have been kept on the team - earned their spots for sure, but that's another tangent) "gearing up for playoffs", youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts, etc..."

Wisniewski for a 2nd round pick was a solid trade for us. Do you have other examples of "... all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players.." and/or "... youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts..."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
True and also not agreeing to 2 years of Hamrlik (1 not 2)... BUT on the flipside, you have the disgusting Kaberle trade and signing Markov for THAT long without making sure that he can actually skate again. Oh and yes the Wiz is overpaid, but he didn't offer the Wiz anything. He should've at least tried. That's what good GMs do.
I agree. Our current D squad sucks big time and it will probably be Gauthier's downfall. I really miss Roman "the Stabilizer" Hamrlik !

Old
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
HeShootsHeScores

I was pretty happy he was allowed to make the cammalleri trade...

PG is not the one wearing skates. The team was looking good on paper before the players gave us this pathetic display of hokcey since the first game of the season.

PG's blame over this year's failure is overblown.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
smon

If Gainey was amenable, I get the feeling Gauthier would have been fired with Martin and he would have taken over on an interim basis.

Here's some crazy speculation. They fire Gauthier and let Martin be interim GM, like Darren Dreger hilariously talked about on TSN once.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Oh Cmon, which one the following trades was "mortgaging the future"?

Quote:
Moore for a 2nd

Wisniewski for a 2nd+5th

Sopel and Dawes for Maxwell and a 4th

Mara for a 5th(acquired from Anaheim)

Nokelainen for Trotter and a 7th

Bourque+Holland+2nd for Cammalleri+5th(acquired from Columbus)+Ramo

O'byrne for Bournival

Lapierre for a 5th +Festerling

Blunden for Russel

Kaberle for Spacek

D'agostini for Palushaj

Sergei Kostitsyn for rights to Boyd and Ellis

Wisniewski's rights for a 5th

Halak for Eller+Schultz

Mark Mitera for Mathieu Carle
Aside from the 2nd round picks, which is these trades will cause us to be in the bottom of the league for the next 5 years? Which of the players moved are the difference between a bubble team and a cup contender?

PG hasn't been the league's best GM, but we're not on the verge of pure exaggeration. He's been an average GM.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You wrote: "Of course, you've conveniently left out all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players (some of whom could/should have been kept on the team - earned their spots for sure, but that's another tangent) "gearing up for playoffs", youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts, etc..."

Wisniewski for a 2nd round pick was a solid trade for us. Do you have other examples of "... all the draft picks shipped out on rentals of players.." and/or "... youth thrown away as throw ins/peanuts..."?
There are plenty on this page, if you need specifics. S.Kost shipped out of town for a few games of Boyd (and none from Ellis). 2nd rounder on Moore. There are plenty more (there's a whole thread on PG's moves to date... surely you've seen it), and they've been expanded on and listed numerous times, so don't pretend you're not aware of them when you obviously cherry pick the ones you want to highlight in order to make things look not so bad.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

they sunk over 40 million and two 2nd rounders and a 3rd into Markov in last few years...

I mean i like Markov, but what could have two 2nd rounders a 3rd and 40 million bought us in the UFA market to replace him?

Mistake of huge proportions.

Second how do you sink near 2 million into a guy (Campoli) to have him scratched ?

Gave up a second for Wiz
Gave up a 2nd and 3rd for Matt Schneider
Gave up 1st round selection in 2008 and a 2nd round selection in 2009 for Alex Tanguay

Gave up Ryan McDonagh(12th over all) for Gomez
Gave up Sergei K for ZERO
Gave up Saku for ZERO
Gave up RIBS for ZERO
Gave up Grabovski for a 2nd rounder.
Gave up a 2nd round pick in 2010 for Robert Lang

THAT is the FARM they gave up./.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.