HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens Sizzling Since Slow Start

Old
01-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

vCash: 500
Love the Sens. Have Alfie and Spezza on my fantasy team so I've followed them a lot this year, and they are the real deal. Health will be especially important with them though, as just one injury to a player like Spezza or Karlsson would force a whole bunch of guys to have to step out of their comfort zones.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Love the Sens. Have Alfie and Spezza on my fantasy team so I've followed them a lot this year, and they are the real deal. Health will be especially important with them though, as just one injury to a player like Spezza or Karlsson would force a whole bunch of guys to have to step out of their comfort zones.
i agree with this our depth improved with Turris but i think we can still get better in this area.

I am interested in adding a Hemsky type

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

They've been an absolute blast to watch, even if they have frustratingly bad starts to games. Hopefully the majority of the core stays healthy and they can keep up this pace.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Crabapple

vCash: 1020
Awesome Alliteration Alleviates Afternoon.

But in all seriousness who saw this coming? It must be nice for your team to be overachieving, im jelly.

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Ari91

I certainly didn't predict that they'd be holding so strong this late into the season but it seemed I was one of the few (who wasn't a Sens fan) who argued that Ottawa wasn't actually a bad team and that the only thing that would hinder them this season would possibly be inexperience. So far, they have a combination of all the right things going their way. They have offensive talent that I was surprised so many sold short at the start of the season. They have a goaltender who can turn it on at times and other times his team can simply outscore whatever problems they've had in a game. Whatever hinderances youth may have been so far has been overshadowed by veterans who can help keep the young guys in check but who are also playing great hockey and leading by example. And probably most importantly, they have a coach that knows how to get the best out of his team.

I don't know if their pace RIGHT NOW is sustainable but so long as they're able to avoid having losing streaks similar to their winning streaks, they have a great chance at playoffs. Whatever happens with the team, they've given their fanbase a glimpse of some things to look forward to beyond the results of this season.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I certainly didn't predict that they'd be holding so strong this late into the season but it seemed I was one of the few (who wasn't a Sens fan) who argued that Ottawa wasn't actually a bad team and that the only thing that would hinder them this season would possibly be inexperience. So far, they have a combination of all the right things going their way. They have offensive talent that I was surprised so many sold short at the start of the season. They have a goaltender who can turn it on at times and other times his team can simply outscore whatever problems they've had in a game. Whatever hinderances youth may have been so far has been overshadowed by veterans who can help keep the young guys in check but who are also playing great hockey and leading by example. And probably most importantly, they have a coach that knows how to get the best out of his team.

I don't know if their pace RIGHT NOW is sustainable but so long as they're able to avoid having losing streaks similar to their winning streaks, they have a great chance at playoffs. Whatever happens with the team, they've given their fanbase a glimpse of some things to look forward to beyond the results of this season.
Clouston = career worst seasons
MacLean = closer to career best seasons

It was hard to take that into account. Spezza had been considered a regressing star over the years. Alfie was lagged by injuries (he looks like he's 34 again btw). Smith, Condra, Greening all considered AHL patchholes but they are all becoming quality NHLers. Among other things...

Coaching's the aspect people couldn't/didn't really account for and it's the part that's stroked every part of the roster positively.

And like I said earlier, as far as short-term success goes we knew the Turris trade was a good one for us...even the people that hated the deal knew it made us a little better short-term. So far, Murray pulled a rabbit out of his hat on that one.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:35 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
Beautiful aliteration
That's a Murray-proof title if there ever was one.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Ralph Malfredsson
Megaloblastic maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
That's a Murray-proof title if there ever was one.
an internet for you sir

Ralph Malfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote