HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nick Foligno low bridges Phaneuf

Old
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
zoA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Losing Colby Armstrong is a blow. He's the kind of guy that creates energy. I very much disliked playing him in the playoffs back when he was on Pittsburgh, but there's definitely a place for speedy guys who toe the physical line in the NHL.

Ultimately, though, hockey is a game of inches, and it's funny how quickly things can change.

Lupul puts that puck in the crease into the net and everyone is talking about Ottawa's fall from grace and Toronto's surge.

But if we back down from all the trolling and hype, you can look at the facts.

Ottawa has been outshot for a good span of games now, and generally outplayed. We're not sure if it's exhaustion, due to so many games played, or complacency, with Anderson stepping up so largely. Back-to-back games can make it tricky to judge.

Ottawa is going to fall back down to earth if they can't do something about the shot discrepancies. This Pacific road trip could expose that in a very dramatic way.

But even if Toronto had won, there's still some soul-searching required as to what the identity of this Leafs team is. I think they've got elite neutral zone movement and create good offense in transition, but they're not very good when they're not moving, leading to turnovers and sloppy play.

And while Toronto played a pretty good game, all of the energy seems to have escaped as soon as the Sens took that 3-2 lead, and you had a tired Sens team in the tail end of the 3rd period of a back-to-back situation pretty much shutting down any legitimate scoring chances from a Leafs team that should have been going like gangbusters to tie it up. That was surprising, and concerning.

They need some energy and grit, and I guess from my view, I just see too many of the same kind of player (e.g. Bozak, Kadri, Connolly, Kessel, and to a lesser extent, Grabovski and Kulemin).

If Grabo can elevate his game back to the Plekanec-type style that I so admired in him, and Kulemin can start using his big body a bit more around the crease, that's a big start.
All very true, good eye. We're very dangerous off the rush, but it all seems to crumble when we try to run a PP, or even a lot of the time trying to pressure in the offensive zone. For some reason the players hit their spots, then seem confused about how to move after that, not to mention they run the system exactly the same half the time. Sometimes you have to play WITHIN the system, but not do it exactly the same or teams will just adapt. Hopefully Burke comes through with more size in the top 6 cause we desperately need it.

As for the hit, I don't think it deserved a suspension, but I do believe it was malicious. Foligno and Phaneuf have some issues, I think it stems from the Da Costa hit way back. To be fair, it doesn't really look like "clipping", but I think the penalty was given out because of the nature of the situation.

Just a question, has Foligno ever tried to use a hip check before?

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
I'm curious, does Fraser have any say or input when Shanaban is putting up someone for disciplinary review?

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post
Just a question, has Foligno ever tried to use a hip check before?
I don't think I've seen him do that before.

However, he does some very unconventional things which don't always work out.

He used to try to put the puck between two defencemen and then throw himself through the middle. It worked a few times, very dramatically, but then he started getting rocked.

He also tried to jump out of the way of a player rounding behind the net, and ended up hitting him when the guy changed course at the last minute, leading to a penalty.

Ultimately, he's a very unpredictable player who tries things no one else would.

So while I can't recall him doing that before, it doesn't surprise me that he did. He's kind of a goofy guy who will try just about everything. He may end up getting punished for doing something that is probably not well-advised, but he's not inherently dirty like a Matt Cooke (was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA
To be fair, it doesn't really look like "clipping", but I think the penalty was given out because of the nature of the situation.
With Phaneuf on the ice, the ref felt like he had to call something. As I said, I don't really have a problem either way.

Did he drop BECAUSE it was Phaneuf specifically? Not sure. I'm not aware of any specific rivalry with Phaneuf but maybe there is.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Hard to argue with Kerry Fraser there. Explains everything perfectly. This should be mandatory reading for anyone posting in this thread.
I agree that having the perspective of a former ref is awesome....the only thing I disagree with is his referring to the hit as a hip check.

I've never seen a hip check that was shoulder to hip area.

Usually you use the hip to deliver the hit. Not target the hip with your shoulder. LOL

But whatever.

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
I agree that having the perspective of a former ref is awesome....the only thing I disagree with is his referring to the hit as a hip check.

I've never seen a hip check that was shoulder to hip area.

Usually you use the hip to deliver the hit. Not target the hip with your shoulder. LOL

But whatever.
You don't usually see hip checks where the guy delivering it is static.

Usually it's a defenceman skating backwards who angles the player off with his posterior.

It was really Phaneuf that was initiating the contact, so I agree that it's not really a traditional hip-check.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:12 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If Phaneuf doesn't jump then his knees take the brunt of the hit. Can't crouch down like you are taking a crap in the woods to hit players as we should all know by now.

Even with his jump (which would get his knees higher), he was hit above the knees, in the mid-thigh to hip area.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:16 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Looked to be a hip check, then Dion jumped.. a little dirty but not much.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:16 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Since you seem to be new to the game of hockey a hip check involves the hitter's hip and not the hittee's.
Your nastiness quotient just went up to 82.8765%.

And how does that address the post you're quoting.

I guess you just had a Phaneuf moment...

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I'm curious, does Fraser have any say or input when Shanaban is putting up someone for disciplinary review?
i thought fraser was a terrible, blind, incompetent ref who is always wrong.

01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Looked to be a hip check, then Dion jumped.. a little dirty but not much.
Exactly made worse because Dion jumped.

Frankly I don't have a problem with lowbridge hits. It's not the the first time it happened in the NHL and will not be the last. Why people are NOW calling this dirty?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote