HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dreger: Canadiens interested in Derek Roy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
  #176
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If our Cs were "smurfs" Crosby, Daysyuk and Zetterberg I don't think trading for Getzlaf would make any sense.
Since these are the only guys under 6' anyone seems to be able to bring up, maybe there IS something to the needing size at centre thing, because guys like those don't exactly come around too often.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
  #177
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Not another ****ing midget!

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
  #178
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Hardly the type of centre they need. But to play devil's advocate here, leaving aside Montreal's rep for small skilled players, the powerplay is atrocious and Plekanec is not exactly lighting it up offensively. So maybe Gauthier views Derek Roy as a better complement to Plekanec than Desharnais?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
  #179
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Relax...

It's just a rumour...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  #180
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really think the size obsession is overblown here especially after Cammalleri was traded for a decent size replacement, but I do think having 2 centres who are under 5'10" is a little extreme. The 6' mark is a bit overrated, 5'10 and 5'11" guys can hold their own but after that it does become a concern.

But like you said the primary reason for concern is not his height but that he would be a slight boost in offense at the expense of everything else. Desharnais might get overmatched at times but he works harder defensively than Roy does.
Personally, I like Desharnais at center and I think Roy would also help the team. I think there's a big misconception. People feel you HAVE to put the guy at center. Personally, I feel adding a Roy isn't a big deal because we have 3 centers already in top 9 and he can slot as wing, or DD can. It's really overblown because while I feel the habs should add another top 9 center over the summer I don't necessarily see it as it being a desharnais replacement. I think it's important for a team to have versatility. You have to have guy who can slot in center or wing. Think of Kelly and Peverley in boston. Stoll in LA, etc... These things may seem irrelevant but with injuries you got an instant backup. In the case that Desharnais or someoone else is overmatched for X reason you can always swap the centers. That's why I don't see Roy as a major size issue. I mean, he's not the guy I'm looking for, but no one ever said him AND DD need to play center at same time. You do matchups and for a good coach he'll mix and match as necessary.

There's no doubt I'd rather a bigger guy. I'd actually seek out Stoll this summer. Great shot, good on faceoffs and versatile. He can slot wing, center and pretty much anywhere in top 9. Becomes a nice filler and these guys are needed to win games. Not small either.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  #181
Andros777
Registered User
 
Andros777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Roy is like Desharnais, in a good way.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
  #182
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Roy for Deharnais, makes no sense $ wise.

Roy for Pleks is just a flip and makes no sense either.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
  #183
Schwang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kingston, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
All I know is Roy always looks good against us!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
  #184
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
I would trade the whole team for Roy. One of the greatest centres in the league.

Plus at 6'0 190 pounds, he has decent size.


Do it Pierre!

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
  #185
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,373
vCash: 500
At the end of the day, if you can get a guy like Roy relatively cheap, you'd be stupid not to do it. He is in his prime and should bounce back to the 70-80 point range. In terms of the size thing, you can always trade one of those guys or sign a Ruutu and play those 3 guys(DD Roy and Desharnais) on different lines.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
  #186
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,716
vCash: 500
Getting Roy.. no matter how we look at it.. Is just trading a dollar for a four quaters. Trade for Pleks. Same problem. Trade for DD. Same problem + Cap size increase. Trade for Eller same problem + cap size. So I mean.. I really dont see how adding Roy will help us overall..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:27 PM
  #187
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Since these are the only guys under 6' anyone seems to be able to bring up, maybe there IS something to the needing size at centre thing, because guys like those don't exactly come around too often.
There's likely as many elite centers in the 6'0 and below range as there is for 6'1 and above.

It's funny because there's this HUGE misconception that size means everything. Really, the important thing is how good the player is. Getzlaf is known to be lazy at times, but the guys in the post you quoted are 100% hard workers. Is this a rule? obviously not but it really depends on said individual.

Somewhat relevent fact:

Ray Bourque 5'11 220 lbs
Nick Lidstrom 6'1 190 lbs
Bobby Orr 5'11 200 lbs
Denis Potvin 6'0 205 lbs
Chris Chelios 5'11 191 lbs
Scott Stevens 6'2 215 lbs
Doug Harvey 5'11 190 lbs
Paul Coffey 6'0 200 lbs
Eddie Shore 5'11 194 lbs

etc...

Probably on some of the best d-men of all time lists. I referenced a list to compile this so I don't miss anyone. Not these 6'4 monsters people claim are right size for a d-men. The list above, most are 'undersized' for the physical NHL, old NHL or new. Size is overrated, it helps but it's not the basis of success. I'm saying this and I'm 6'4 myself.


Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 01-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
  #188
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I would trade the whole team for Roy. One of the greatest centres in the league.

Plus at 6'0 190 pounds, he has decent size.


Do it Pierre!
Not sure if you're serious.

Are we talking about the same Roy that plays for the Sabres and has grown 4 inches in the last week?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:29 PM
  #189
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Not sure if you're serious.

Are we talking about the same Roy that plays for the Sabres and has grown 4 inches in the last week?
More like 5'9" 188lbs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
  #190
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 500
Roy + 1rst vs Plecky

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
  #191
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Since these are the only guys under 6' anyone seems to be able to bring up, maybe there IS something to the needing size at centre thing, because guys like those don't exactly come around too often.
The list of comparable Cs over 6' tall wouldn't be much bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Personally, I like Desharnais at center and I think Roy would also help the team. I think there's a big misconception. People feel you HAVE to put the guy at center. Personally, I feel adding a Roy isn't a big deal because we have 3 centers already in top 9 and he can slot as wing, or DD can. It's really overblown because while I feel the habs should add another top 9 center over the summer I don't necessarily see it as it being a desharnais replacement. I think it's important for a team to have versatility. You have to have guy who can slot in center or wing. Think of Kelly and Peverley in boston. Stoll in LA, etc... These things may seem irrelevant but with injuries you got an instant backup. In the case that Desharnais or someoone else is overmatched for X reason you can always swap the centers. That's why I don't see Roy as a major size issue. I mean, he's not the guy I'm looking for, but no one ever said him AND DD need to play center at same time. You do matchups and for a good coach he'll mix and match as necessary.
I agree with this, the issue is that to get Roy everyone is assuming you'd trade Plekanec or Eller. That leaves the centre options as whichever one of those two remain, Desharnais, Roy, Gomez and the 4th line guys. That's not balanced at all.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
  #192
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,690
vCash: 500
That's right everyone, get mad at Gauthier because DARREN DREGER is speculating out of thin air.

Solid bunch you are.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
  #193
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
That's right everyone, get mad at Gauthier because DARREN DREGER is speculating out of thin air.

Solid bunch you are.
A bunch of people were getting mad at Price for the 25stanley rumor too

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:59 PM
  #194
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,666
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Wasn't it Haddonfield?
damn! had the other one in mind

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
  #195
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,364
vCash: 50
wouldn't mind him

how about roy for Gomez

if there is a trade we will prob lose it

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  #196
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

I don't see how Cammy doesn't garner at least a 1st. We'd probably have to take salary back but there are too many teams in a playoff race right now. Washington and Pittsburgh (two teams that Cammy destroyed in the playoffs) are both in that group. You're not going to be able to convince me that Bourque + spare change is the best we could do. And if it was, then we should've just held onto him for another year and sold higher next season.

As for Roy, yeah you're right they're selling low. But why should we be even looking at this kind of move right now?
Perhaps the best Gauthier can do.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
  #197
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
There's likely as many elite centers in the 6'0 and below range as there is for 6'1 and above.
You say that, but trying making a list. It doesn't take long to realize that big 3rd liners like Staal are perhaps more coveted than smaller "1st liners" like Brian Little, for example. Seriously though, leaving Crosby/Datsyuk/Zetterberg, and your list of generational talent defensemen from 10, 20 years ago aside for a moment, and make a list of "elite" centres under 6'.

Then realize that the current scoring leaders among centres are (in order): Malkin, Sedin, Stamkos, (Datsyuk), Spezza, Toews, Tavares, Elias, Kopitar, Backstrom... and they're all above 6' except Datsyuk. Going further down the list, there's still Seguin, Bergeron, Filppula, Lecavalier, Jokinen, Thornton, and Nugent-Hopkins before you get to the next guy listed as low as 6' (O'Reilly). We still haven't touched on Staal, M.Koivu, and Kesler before we get to Richards (another 6' exactly). Kesler, Backes, Getzlaf... I just see way, way more talent at 6'+ than I see below it.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:42 PM
  #198
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Do not want Roy. Want to get younger.

But then again, every move the Habs make is usually unanticipated by the media. And most of the rumors we've heard in the past never come through. So...

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
  #199
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Sorry i must have a comprehension problem.
Actually you do bro. No offense. Not sure if it's a 2nd language issue but you clearly do. Read it more carefully and understand what he's trying to say, judging by your responses you are having a major reading comprehension fail. If somebody else wants to take time to explain they can go ahead.

Bahh I'll go ahead and re-explain. Basically he was saying people think Derek Roy is a Briere/Giroux type of francophone, you know, the kind who would pronounce Roy as "Roi" like Patrick Roy (The kind from Quebec, not Ontario).

However that is not the case. Derek Roy pronounces it in an extremely anglophone way: Roy like the first name Roy. In English it's pronounced quite differently than in French. He's an anglo in other words

He's from Ontario and it is pronounced like the first name Roy.

Apparently he does speak French though:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-535962.html

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
  #200
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I'm scared to death of what this man can do. I really am...

With Molson's comments and the Cammalleri for Bourque trade, I get the feeling that he thinks there is still something to salvage for this season.
Are you implying that Bourque wouldn't be good for the Habs next season and the one after it and that they should have retained Cammalleri? If you think the Habs could have traded Cammalleri for a high draft choice in June you must be living in a far off galaxy.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.