HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliotte Friedman article on pressure of big contracts

Old
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Elliotte Friedman article on pressure of big contracts

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...dividends.html

Quote:
A couple of years ago, I was doing research for a piece on Daniel Briere. As part of that, I spoke to one of Briere's biggest boosters, Dave Farrish, who was an assistant under Randy Carlyle in Anaheim. Farrish coached the Philadelphia Flyers sniper at AHL Springfield in 1997-98, a season in which Briere scored 92 points in 68 games.
Briere struggled when he first got to Philadelphia and we talked about why.
"Someone should do a study on how players do after signing a big free-agent contract," Farrish said. "You feel so much pressure to live up that contract ... There's also no guarantee you'll fit in to a new city, a new system, with new teammates. It can be hard."

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Intriguing article, but not in a good way.

01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Intriguing article, but not in a good way.
For every Danny Briere, there is a Roy Halladay. Actually on second thought, I don't think there is another Roy Halladay.

JABEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
For every Danny Briere, there is a Roy Halladay. Actually on second thought, I don't think there is another Roy Halladay.
Haha yeah. More like for every Roy Halladay there are 10 Danny Brieres.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
MrHockey1982

Very good article. I will say that while discouraging, Khabibulin already had accomplished everything he wanted to by winning a cup as the starting goalie. So he already had the cup and a big contract. Bryz just has the big contract and has yet to win it as the starter. Hope that's enough motivation. That and we will rip him apart if he doesn't perform eventually.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Might as well call this the "Alex Rodriguez Syndrome"

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
disorder

Someone should do a study on how well Danny Briere plays in the playoffs after signing a big FA deal and then compare that to everything Gomez and Drury have done.

Seriously though I didn't think Briere would be 80pt+ centerman is Philly with all the young talent we had center. He just had a post lockout surge where the rule changes bennefited him immensly. He's always been a 60-70pt guy.

disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Was Halladay a free agent when he went to Philly from Toronto?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:14 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Was Halladay a free agent when he went to Philly from Toronto?
No, but he did instantly sign a massive contract extension... thus the pressure to live up to a big contract was still there.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
No, but he did instantly sign a massive contract extension... thus the pressure to live up to a big contract was still there.
His contract was much less than what he would have received in free agency and was immediately considered a bargain. Not really the same thing.

Besides, it's completely false to say there is a Halladay for every Briere when there are only a few Halladays in each sport. There are far more large contract busts than there are successes. Halladay is top 2 at his position while Briere was coming off a career year unlike any other. It's not hard to see why he has never repeated those numbers again.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:54 AM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
His contract was much less than what he would have received in free agency and was immediately considered a bargain. Not really the same thing.

Besides, it's completely false to say there is a Halladay for every Briere when there are only a few Halladays in each sport. There are far more large contract busts than there are successes. Halladay is top 2 at his position while Briere was coming off a career year unlike any other. It's not hard to see why he has never repeated those numbers again.
That's why I said "on second thought..."

JABEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:11 AM
WeekendAtBernies

So... should we just move this into the Bryz thread now, or wait till he struggles next (later today)?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
SgtJoseph

The coach he mentioned named Dave Farrish is one heck of a Hockey coach.He coached down here in the ECHL for quite a few years with Louisanna and with the then Pensacola Ice Pilots [owned by Tim Kerr]., and his clubs played EXCELLENT hockey.I was really happy for him when he went up to the NHL and got to win a cup with Anaheim as an asst coach.....He is one guy that should get a shot as head coach in the NHL in my opinion....
Having said that, i agree that the big contracts can really mess with a players head by adding pressures and expectations that for some will be impossible to achieve.I think it is much easier to perform as an underdog because the "expectations" and pressure are much less, and when one does well as the underdog it is appreciated much more ? A player making "MILLIONS " is supposed to win and be great all the time. when they fail there is hell to pay,and when they perform well its because they are supposed to .

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
The coach he mentioned named Dave Farrish is one heck of a Hockey coach.He coached down here in the ECHL for quite a few years with Louisanna and with the then Pensacola Ice Pilots [owned by Tim Kerr]., and his clubs played EXCELLENT hockey.I was really happy for him when he went up to the NHL and got to win a cup with Anaheim as an asst coach.....He is one guy that should get a shot as head coach in the NHL in my opinion....
Having said that, i agree that the big contracts can really mess with a players head by adding pressures and expectations that for some will be impossible to achieve.I think it is much easier to perform as an underdog because the "expectations" and pressure are much less, and when one does well as the underdog it is appreciated much more ? A player making "MILLIONS " is supposed to win and be great all the time. when they fail there is hell to pay,and when they perform well its because they are supposed to .
I think pressure can be an issue, but I think a big part of the reason why free agent contracts tend to fail is because these players have already spent most of their best years elsewhere when they are being signed in their late 20s and early 30s. When you sign a 31 year old long term you're getting more decline years than peak years.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:35 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think pressure can be an issue, but I think a big part of the reason why free agent contracts tend to fail is because these players have already spent most of their best years elsewhere when they are being signed in their late 20s and early 30s. When you sign a 31 year old long term you're getting more decline years than peak years.
Excellent point !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote