HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens fans have stopped caring

Old
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's the Gazette, they're the "drive time radio" of newspapers. I haven't seen a single good column, article or news story out of that dying rag in years. The Sports section is merely another insult to journalism.
You have to be blind to believe the fans are going to support the team as much if they start sucking for a few years. People forget how sad the team was 10 years ago and the laughing stock of the city, and when you show them the game attendance back then, or point to the ridiculous price Gillette managed to buy it compared to his selling price, they hand wave it away.

Tanking for a few years would be terrible for this team revenues. That's a risk no GM would take for such a rich team. As hard as it seems to be for some fans, nobody is going to risk losing hundred of millions in investment just because you made yourself to believe that it's the only way there is to build a contender.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Plante

We are playing some truly atrocious hockey right now, I live in B.C and get to watch the Canucks often... To compare the skill level of the two teams is quite frankly extremely embarrassing. I still watch, but its hard to care if the players don't (And its obvious some don't).

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
You have to be blind to believe the fans are going to support the team as much if they start sucking for a few years. People forget how sad the team was 10 years ago and the laughing stock of the city, and when you show them the game attendance back then, or point to the ridiculous price Gillette managed to buy it compared to his selling price, they hand wave it away.

Tanking for a few years would be terrible for this team revenues. That's a risk no GM would take for such a rich team. As hard as it seems to be for some fans, nobody is going to risk losing hundred of millions in investment just because you made yourself to believe that it's the only way there is to build a contender.
That's why I get so irritated by the morons who insult Gainey and Gauthier so blindly.

The team was terrible; there was no organization or structure worth noting before Gainey came in.

Now is when the fruits of all that labor will bear fruit; Price is finally of age, our prospects are developing quicker and quicker and the facilities are top of the line. UFAs like it here!

Remember Milroy? Corey Locke? Urqhart? This organization is having less and less of those and more of Subban, DD, Pacioretty.

It's not the media's job to be fair or even-handed. They're lowly sports journalists who don't know anything but the 5inch column every day. Some people on the board are some of the smartest who cover the Habs, they don't all agree but they're logical and analytical beyond morons like Stubbs, Marinaro, Dreger, et al. It's time for people to knock those old dinosaurs off their ****** pedestals.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

I'm glad that the bandwagon is emptying since it'll be easier for me to score tickets next year. Personally, I'll never be able to stop caring for the Habs. This season is atrocious and the games are painful to watch at times but I still support them and watch every single game. That's what being a fan is all about... It's obviously easier to stick around when they're winning but it's not fair to jump ship when they're losing. Fans need to realize that the Habs need our support more than ever right now.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 01-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
And then when we're back in black, they'll be singing high praises.

**** them.
I think there's a pretty large number of fans who hopped on for the ECF run and are probably long done now

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Personally I think the players stopped playing for the fans. Because 80% of you are disgrace!
i bet thats the reason!! gAUTHIER needs to get on the horse and trade the fans -LOL maybe include gomez he is like a fan-- all talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaneros View Post

This has to be it...

Never mind the fans who fork over 10-20 k a year ,. Just sit there and shut up ....

Lol

ok

the fans if they were getting in for free or 5 bucks head, i agree, but there being asked to pay extortion in ticket prices to watch , so how can't you expect the fans to react ?

The only disgrace i seen was the gm letting his player take a beating nightly playing a dead hockey style...

It was all down hill ...they waited for support, never got any....

All the bodies were hitting the floor ,old gm claiming boys your heart's are big....

Couple that with a coach who played nj style hockey...lol down she goes , like your seeing now , damage done .

When the house is still on fire is not the time to be moving in your new furniture...
yes sir- thats a great post - nice to see some common sense

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-20-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: merge
larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Fans need to realize that the Habs need our support more than ever right now.
eeeeeexactly!

but with the media we got in montreal, i wouldn't bank on that happening anytime soon.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
And then when we're back in black, they'll be singing high praises.

**** them.
Most of us lived the last 20 years.....

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Most of us lived the last 20 years.....
What exactly is your point?

That all new generation fans are bandwagoners?

Now for the old timers on here to chime in with how we like mediocrity and losing and we would buy a jersey of a turd if it was a Montreal Canadien.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'm glad that the bandwagon is emptying since it'll be easier for me to score tickets next year. Personally, I'll never be able to stop caring for the Habs. This season is atrocious and the games are painful to watch at times but I still support them and watch every single game. That's what being a fan is all about... It's obviously easier to stick around when they're winning but it's not fair to jump ship when they're losing. Fans need to realize that the Habs need our support more than ever right now.
I doubt that, once next season starts people will be all over the Habs again. You can probably score tickets for really cheap for the rest of this season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Imagine when the Nords are back, the fans will also have an option to turn to. Dark days ahead for our habs. The days of sold out Bell Center will be over soon.
Why don't you just go over to the Phoenix forum now? I'm sick of seeing a Nords fan trolling the Habs daily.

How long would someone last on the Leafs board if he claimed to be a ''Habs/Leafs'' fan and bashed their team/fans/management with every single post?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Coldplay
Courage

"When the Nords are back", all the ****ing morons in this fanbase and media will flock there.

I'm ecstatic. Can't wait.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Et le But

Quote:
"When the Nords are back", all the ****ing morons in this fanbase and media will flock there.

I'm counting down the days...

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

They aren't the only problem Coldplay. No one cares about those people anyways

Bottom line is it's hard right now for fans to love this team. Maybe not for us cause were nuts but for the majority they know were done. Spending money on the Habs right now is crazy, fan or not

Old
01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
They aren't the only problem Coldplay. No one cares about those people anyways

Bottom line is it's hard right now for fans to love this team. Maybe not for us cause were nuts but for the majority they know were done. Spending money on the Habs right now is crazy, fan or not
Come on, it's one year we have been bad. Last year was up and down but we were in a playoff position all season despite huge injuries. The year before that we made it to the ECF and took out the Ovie & Crosby hypetrains.

Is this enough? No. But to say there hasn't been anything worth watching simply isn't true. Even this year hasn't been the case of the Habs getting blown out left and right - there's been plenty to watch, and plenty of good moments seeing the likes of Eller, Emelin, DD, etc developing.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As I thought. The bandwagoner fans willing to jump at the sight of struggle.
i'm not a bandwagoner, i've been following the team since i was i came to canada over 20 years ago, but this year i dont care...why should i invest any emotion when they keep letting me down every game.

we have lives, friends, wives, families, chores and all these things are more appealing right now.

even in the dark years with rucinsky et al i was glued to the tv for every game, but after seeing the same mediocrity year in and year out i've just had enough

we're allowed to love this team but be sick and tired with what the organization has done to it.

i dont care about the team this year cause clearly the organization has let us down and the players have given up.

next year come july 1st i'll approach 2012-2013 hoping that it will be a better year and have the same enthusiasm i have every start of the year.

i'm just being realistic...i'm writting the season off
if PG is still there next year, i'll hate the orginization AGAIN but i love my team and hope they will play up to their level

its clear this year we're underperformin ALOT

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Come on, it's one year we have been bad. Last year was up and down but we were in a playoff position all season despite huge injuries. The year before that we made it to the ECF and took out the Ovie & Crosby hypetrains.

Is this enough? No. But to say there hasn't been anything worth watching simply isn't true. Even this year hasn't been the case of the Habs getting blown out left and right - there's been plenty to watch, and plenty of good moments seeing the likes of Eller, Emelin, DD, etc developing.
ELB

I'm not saying the future of this team is bad, but most fans aren't like us either. They don't know crap about the draft, the players in the system etc etc. They want to see a winner every year which is normal. But come a point and time when the only chances you have to making the playoffs, (not winning a cup but just making the playoffs) is hoping for a miracle this is going to happen. People will give up for the year. This season not the next 2-3-4-5. This year people know it will be almost impossible and they don't want to invest time and money. I love the Habs too much, but know plenty of people that have given up. They won't watch a game just to watch it, they'll spend more time with the wife, activities etc.. The cost to go to a game is expensive as well not everyone can afford it. At my work for the 1st time since the early 2000's people are not only giving away their tickets but aren't finding people that want them. It's like that, this is the type of city we live in. Come October people will be all over tickets again

Old
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
ELB

I'm not saying the future of this team is bad, but most fans aren't like us either. They don't know crap about the draft, the players in the system etc etc. They want to see a winner every year which is normal. But come a point and time when the only chances you have to making the playoffs, (not winning a cup but just making the playoffs) is hoping for a miracle this is going to happen. People will give up for the year. This season not the next 2-3-4-5. This year people know it will be almost impossible and they don't want to invest time and money. I love the Habs too much, but know plenty of people that have given up. They won't watch a game just to watch it, they'll spend more time with the wife, activities etc.. The cost to go to a game is expensive as well not everyone can afford it. At my work for the 1st time since the early 2000's people are not only giving away their tickets but aren't finding people that want them. It's like that, this is the type of city we live in. Come October people will be all over tickets again
Oh this is true. I couldn't afford to go to games much when I lived in Montreal, and even those who can aren't going to spend that much on a team going nowhere. But there was two interesting playoff runs in the last two years. Like you said these people will be back once the pre-season hype starts again.

I'm not expecting an electric atmosphere for the rest of the years. But there will always be interest. If anything the situation means more available seats, which means those who normally couldn't afford to go will give it a shot "for the experience" - tourists, uni students, etc. It's safe to say we won't be challenging Winnipeg for the best atmosphere for the rest of the year though.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:59 PM
LyleOdelein

Something about this article resonates deeply with me. I don't really think it's Stubbs' specific points that strike me, more his tone.

I can't measure what I'm feeling in empty seats or with the noise meter at the Bell Centre, it's something more abstract than that. I don't think that apathy is really the right word either, it's something like "disappointment to the point of exasperation" that is more fitting.

For cathartic purposes, I'm not going to take a deep breath and discuss this point rationally (as I usually try to do). I'm just going to do my best to relay where I stand in relation to this team right now. I'll begin with an anecdotal ramble...

In my younger days, I was fairly wild. I'd get into trouble every now and again and my dad would get angry. He'd sit me down and give lectures about how I did something wrong, or that I was making bad choices, or something of that nature. It would register for a while but never really hit home and I'd end up doing the same things over again.

On one occasion I managed to do something stupid for which I expected to get a significant blasting. He sat me down and in a matter of fact tone he uttered, "I have nothing to say, but that I'm disappointed in you.", then he left me alone. The fact that he couldn't even muster up the energy to be angry about this had a profound impact on me. It was easily one of the worst moments of my life and one of the most influential conversations I've had in my life.

I know that my relationship with the Habs shouldn't be as significant to me as the one between my father and myself. It's not... However, cheering for the Habs is something my father passed on to me, so I don't think that I'm stretching the analogy all too far. He'd understand this connection more than anyone else would.

Back to the Habs... I have yelled at the TV a lot this season. I've had some vitriolic rants about players, coaches and the team as a whole. I've bickered with people I thought were being overly pessimistic. I've had flashes of insanity where I've wanted to banish members of management to Siberia and/or burn this team's core down and spit on its ashes. I've spent hours considering trades and adjustments that could turn things around and rambled about them extensively. I've had brief glimpses of optimism quickly eclipsed by this team's failures.

At this point I'm somewhat disengaged from that passion. It's not that I flat out don't care, or that I'll stop watching and cheering for the Habs. It's just that I really don't have the energy to feel so negative about something that I usually enjoy so much.

It's not just about winning either; in the past, I've enjoyed the rollercoaster of vicariously riding out the highs and lows with my team. It's just that the highs and lows of this year's team aren't eliciting much emotion from me at this point. The celebratory fist pumps aren't quite as vigorous and at the same time the vitriolic rants are nowhere near as angry. Maybe that's just me, though.

If Geoff Molson were to ask me how I felt about the Habs before the season started, I would have been cautiously optimistic and raved about some of my favourite players while trying to measure my opinion by pointing out a few concerns. If he asked me how I felt about the Habs two months ago, he would have got a passionate but generally negative rant about what was wrong with this team checkered with mentions of some bright spots and a couple ways in which I thought it might be turned around.

If he asked me how I feel about the Habs right now, I'd probably just say "I'm disappointed in them." and look to change the subject.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
larek

Quote:

WOW - and you wont be suspended? if Not i like this site!!( ive been here for almost 10 years)
on habfans a poster sais Gomez will get 65 points this season- i reply you forgot to put the decimal point in between the 6 and 5- i got suspended for 4 months LOL

Old
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Something about this article resonates deeply with me. I don't really think it's Stubbs' specific points that strike me, more his tone.

I can't measure what I'm feeling in empty seats or with the noise meter at the Bell Centre, it's something more abstract than that. I don't think that apathy is really the right word either, it's something like "disappointment to the point of exasperation" that is more fitting.

For cathartic purposes, I'm not going to take a deep breath and discuss this point rationally (as I usually try to do). I'm just going to do my best to relay where I stand in relation to this team right now. I'll begin with an anecdotal ramble...

In my younger days, I was fairly wild. I'd get into trouble every now and again and my dad would get angry. He'd sit me down and give lectures about how I did something wrong, or that I was making bad choices, or something of that nature. It would register for a while but never really hit home and I'd end up doing the same things over again.

On one occasion I managed to do something stupid for which I expected to get a significant blasting. He sat me down and in a matter of fact tone he uttered, "I have nothing to say, but that I'm disappointed in you.", then he left me alone. The fact that he couldn't even muster up the energy to be angry about this had a profound impact on me. It was easily one of the worst moments of my life and one of the most influential conversations I've had in my life.

I know that my relationship with the Habs shouldn't be as significant to me as the one between my father and myself. It's not... However, cheering for the Habs is something my father passed on to me, so I don't think that I'm stretching the analogy all too far. He'd understand this connection more than anyone else would.

Back to the Habs... I have yelled at the TV a lot this season. I've had some vitriolic rants about players, coaches and the team as a whole. I've bickered with people I thought were being overly pessimistic. I've had flashes of insanity where I've wanted to banish members of management to Siberia and/or burn this team's core down and spit on its ashes. I've spent hours considering trades and adjustments that could turn things around and rambled about them extensively. I've had brief glimpses of optimism quickly eclipsed by this team's failures.

At this point I'm somewhat disengaged from that passion. It's not that I flat out don't care, or that I'll stop watching and cheering for the Habs. It's just that I really don't have the energy to feel so negative about something that I usually enjoy so much.

It's not just about winning either; in the past, I've enjoyed the rollercoaster of vicariously riding out the highs and lows with my team. It's just that the highs and lows of this year's team aren't eliciting much emotion from me at this point. The celebratory fist pumps aren't quite as vigorous and at the same time the vitriolic rants are nowhere near as angry. Maybe that's just me, though.

If Geoff Molson were to ask me how I felt about the Habs before the season started, I would have been cautiously optimistic and raved about some of my favourite players while trying to measure my opinion by pointing out a few concerns. If he asked me how I felt about the Habs two months ago, he would have got a passionate but generally negative rant about what was wrong with this team checkered with mentions of some bright spots and a couple ways in which I thought it might be turned around.

If he asked me how I feel about the Habs right now, I'd probably just say "I'm disappointed in them." and look to change the subject.
winning is a big part of it for me- although this team has become like many others - still a big fan but its not the same- maybe when i become enthusiastic about a new management group that will change

Old
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I still watch.

I want Gauthier to continue to add size if he makes deals. Whether it's with prospects, or current nhlers or when we're at the draft.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I still watch.

I want Gauthier to continue to add size if he makes deals. Whether it's with prospects, or current nhlers or when we're at the draft.
Im not against that

Old
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I watch. Mostly to follow how the core young players are progressing. I'll cheer for nice goals...

The Habs need a higher winning percentage for the rest of the season than Boston have had, just to make it to 8th place. I've come to terms that there's no reasonable shot anymore.

However, I care alot about the future of the franchise.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I watch. Mostly to follow how the core young players are progressing. I'll cheer for nice goals...

The Habs need a higher winning percentage for the rest of the season than Boston have had, just to make it to 8th place. I've come to terms that there's no reasonable shot anymore.

However, I care alot about the future of the franchise.
ive always cared about the future of the franchise especially the last 15 plus years thats why i cannot be content with what ive seen- otherwise i would be a florida fan
and i too watch now to see the young players