HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Opinion : Running Up The Score

Old
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
There are only a few situations where I see running up the score as acceptable:

1. The other team has taken the blowout poorly and decided to dirty the game up. Then you should put out your top unit on the ensuing powerplays, to essentially teach them a lesson.
2. You believe goal differential will be a factor in determining your playoff spot.

But if there's a game, let's say the recent Bruins vs. Calgary game, where it's 5-0 two minutes into the 2nd, and clearly you've taken the wind out of the sails of the other team, is it really necessary to run the score up to 9-0? Obviously, you're not going to tell your team to stop scoring, but I don't see the harm in taking the foot off the gas. The Bruins obviously don't have to worry about goal-differential being a playoff factor.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

As kids, when playing team sports, we were all saying "it's not about winning but totally humiliating the opponent".

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

1. The other team has taken the blowout poorly and decided to dirty the game up. Then you should put out your top unit on the ensuing powerplays, to essentially teach them a lesson.
2. You believe goal differential will be a factor in determining your playoff spot.

But if there's a game, let's say the recent Bruins vs. Calgary game, where it's 5-0 two minutes into the 2nd, and clearly you've taken the wind out of the sails of the other team, is it really necessary to run the score up to 9-0? Obviously, you're not going to tell your team to stop scoring, but I don't see the harm in taking the foot off the gas. The Bruins obviously don't have to worry about goal-differential being a playoff factor.
Greg Campbell had 6 shifts in the third, Daniel Paille had 7. More than or equal to:

Lucic - 5
Horton - 5
Seguin - 6
Kelly - 5
Perverly - 6
Hamill - 4
Pouliot - 5

Also, McQuaid and Ference played more shifts in the third than Chara and Seidenberg. So the only one to blame for that score was the Flames giving up.

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Ive seen the Leafs blow pretty much insurmountable leads.

So I say score as many as you can when you can.

blasted_Sabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

If the pucks are constantly going in cause the goalie is currently swiss cheese ah well...
every team gets run up...

I see no issue with "running up" the score. The team's goal is to win by any means necessary. Team A shouldn't stop playing cause Team B cannot put the puck on Team A's goalie, and creating chances, it's not Team As fault Team B decided not to show up.

I know Detroit, if they have a sizeable lead (team depending) they will play their 3/4 lines more so than the 'star' players. Just like the Buffalo game Monday, every player hit 10+ min... Lidstrom had 18min, and he typically avgs 23+ min / game.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
tony d
The man

I have no issue in it. I mean if the other team plays a poor game why should your team give up and potentially have this team come back?

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
BubbaBoot

In the pros, go for it.

At the youth level, that's a different story.

Had a coach tell me once that he had implemented a 3 pass rule....which is fine since my team was being blown out by a team that was playing lower than they should've.....problem was, he said it loud enough for my players to hear.

Bush league move IMO....epecially since it was girls soccer fercrissakes. Damned twit was blown all up over a girls soccer match....and what made it even more stupid was he was just a figurehead, it was his assistant, who obviously had played some college ball, who'd made their team as good as it was.

Freakin' tool....

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Wooden Pickle
Valtieli Filppula

I think it's more disrespectful for a team to coast through a game because they don't view the opposing team as a threat to come back. It ain't over 'til it's over. I would be peeved knowing the other team stopped trying against mine because they were that comfortable with their lead.

Wooden Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

If the Bruins can score 5 goals in half a game, so can the Flames. If the Bruins can have a +75 goal differential in the first half, the Rangers can have a +75 goal differential in the second half. Or the Bruins could have a bunch of injuries and drop.

There are some reasons to "take the foot off the gas" and play the 3rd and 4th lines more. Let the young guys or depth guys get some practice and see them in different/extended roles. Avoid injuries to the stars. Even just to rest the guys that get a lot of minutes normally. All of these are for the good of the team though. A professional hockey team should never take the foot off the gas for the sake of the team they are beating.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If the Bruins can score 5 goals in half a game, so can the Flames. If the Bruins can have a +75 goal differential in the first half, the Rangers can have a +75 goal differential in the second half. Or the Bruins could have a bunch of injuries and drop.

There are some reasons to "take the foot off the gas" and play the 3rd and 4th lines more. Let the young guys or depth guys get some practice and see them in different/extended roles. Avoid injuries to the stars. Even just to rest the guys that get a lot of minutes normally. All of these are for the good of the team though. A professional hockey team should never take the foot off the gas for the sake of the team they are beating.
Exactly. To parapharse Belichick's "What should we do, kick a field goal?" I say "What should they do, stop shooting at the net?"

Old
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Your opinion : Setting up the play.
Came in to say this. Well played sir.

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

If you aren't trying your hardest you aren't being fair to your fans. Running up the score is fine.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Exactly. To parapharse Belichick's "What should we do, kick a field goal?" I say "What should they do, stop shooting at the net?"
I wouldn't use Belichick to support your argument. They played their starters and had Welker tear his ACL in a meaningless game.

They've also received a ton of flak for keeping Brady out there when up by a ridiculous amount.

Since hockey and football are contact sports and injuries can happen frequently, I'm somewhat against running up the score. I don't care about the humuliation aspect (they're all professionals), but wouldn't want my team taking unnecessary risks with star players.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
jgatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I wouldn't use Belichick to support your argument. They played their starters and had Welker tear his ACL in a meaningless game.

They've also received a ton of flak for keeping Brady out there when up by a ridiculous amount.

Since hockey and football are contact sports and injuries can happen frequently, I'm somewhat against running up the score. I don't care about the humuliation aspect (they're all professionals), but wouldn't want my team taking unnecessary risks with star players.
I wasn't the one to bring up Belichick. Someone else used him as an example. And you'll never hear Belichick say anything about those instances except he wants football players to play football. He takes responsibility for his decisions, even when they turn out wrong (like using Seymour in his goal line offense).

Old
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:

Hockey teams aren't just going to sit their players. The rest of them still need breaks between shifts. And seriously, a player has a chance to get injured on every shift all year long. Its just something that happens when you play hockey (or football) but you aren't going to stop playing because of it. If the other team is starting to goon it up that's a different issue. Your Opinion: Quitting When You're Down

Quote:
And Evgeni Malkin recieved a lot of flak for avoiding getting hit into a wall. I don't put much stalk into the opinion of angry fans and media.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:16 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
in the hawks/canucks game when AV was upset about the hawks having their top PP line out there with a big lead, i disagreed with AV. Quenneville is always talking about how 5-3 PPs determine the outcomes of games, and the Hawks earned the opportunity to get real game experience in. it's not about disrespect - it's about improving the team. sorry it was at someone else's expense.

i think that the pens used a PP in a blowout to work on their struggles (i could be wrong here)

if a team is intentionally running up the score to humiliate another team, i think that's poor sportsmanship
I was going to mention this because it showed what a fool AV is. It wasn't even a PP unit. Chicago had been rollling 4 lines up front and 3 pairs of D-man for several minutes by that time. Toews's line was up next and they went out there (JT, PK and a non PPer), as I recall the backline had a 3rd pairing guy on it.

As to the question, players should always try to score, coaches do things like roll 4 to keep it civil.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
WickedWrister

I'm sure this sentiment has been echoed by other posters. It's the other teams job to stop you from scoring. If they can't stop you, it's not your fault. Who knows what kind of tie-breakers could come into play at the end of the season.

If you have a problem with the way a team is scoring on you, do something about it.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:31 PM
number72

Bruins run the score because
1. They are gifted and can
2. It fits their psychological game of embarassing competitors on scoreboard, physically etd

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Greg Campbell had 6 shifts in the third, Daniel Paille had 7. More than or equal to:

Lucic - 5
Horton - 5
Seguin - 6
Kelly - 5
Perverly - 6
Hamill - 4
Pouliot - 5

Also, McQuaid and Ference played more shifts in the third than Chara and Seidenberg. So the only one to blame for that score was the Flames giving up.

You can even narrow it down to a couple of specific Flames who got beat on the scoring plays. It wasn't like Boston scored the late goals by crashing the net and cranking slapshots in the goalie's face... they were cases where a Bruin simply hustled to a loose puck and scored.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:

You want to the Bruins to stop competing hard 22 minutes into a 60 minute game? Up by 5 goals? Seems like a recipe to lose that game. You can't stop competing that early. If it is 9-0 with 10 minutes left... then you can play your grinders on the PP.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Devils Nick30

It's professional sports, run the score up as much as you want/can.

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Doesn't bother me in the slightest, if you don't like the other team scoring against you, then stop them.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
selkie

There can be unintended consequences. Patrick Roy comes to mind. Les Habs were already shopping him in 1995, and there were a number of potential buyers. If not for this game, he could have ended up somewhere other than Colorado, and without him, the Avalanche-Red Wings rivalry probably doesn't happen. So Detroit may have ended up costing themselves a Cup over this game.

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote