HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn drops a money bomb

Old
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
"I'll take Ville Leino money even though I'm worth way more than that bum"

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

crazy as this will sound,

i would sign him(Gomez) to an extension for say 3 million a yr.
WHAT!!!!!!!?????????

You want to give him an extension on top of the .remaining two years

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Even if he was able to net us a first, would we ever be able to replace his production per dollar and minutes? If we can re-sign him for below market value, especially with him being a UFA, why would we trade him? Won't make sense.

And if Goat is some sort of skilled GM like the apologists like to pretend, he will jump on this opportunity to extend him.

edit: I forgot to mention he is also relatively young... if there will be a cup run before he retires, Kost will play a major part in it as a veteran
Its not like he's a 65-70 point winger. He's a run of the will 2nd line guy who puts about about 40 points. Players of his ilk are literally a dime a dozen. He may think he would taking less by signing for what he currently gets, but in reality he is already overpaid for what he produces. He's been living off of the one half season of riding Kovalev's coattails and the RFA mandatory raises ever since.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:41 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Its not like he's a 65-70 point winger. He's a run of the will 2nd line guy who puts about about 40 points. Players of his ilk are literally a dime a dozen. He may think he would taking less by signing for what he currently gets, but in reality he is already overpaid for what he produces. He's been living off of the one half season of riding Kovalev's coattails and the RFA mandatory raises ever since.
i jusy t cant see a raise- theres going to be many that will be geting raises in the next few years- i beleive for HAbs this is the best we will see T its -- he isnt getting any better-

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

crazy as this will sound,

i would sign him(Gomez) to an extension for say 3 million a yr.
That's not even funny to joke about...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
And yet he has never palyed alongside anyone so talented as Kovalev since. That line was fury...

Being on the Canadiens has done nothing but crush his confidence as a player. It was his one opportunity to shine and boy did he grab it. When we replaced Kovy with Cammalleri, the line seemed like it didn't miss a beat almost. But **** happened since then and Akost has been relegated to a third liner.

I don't realy mind because he CAN play on the third line because of his unique skillset but he can be a lot more than that. I think 40 pts is selling him short, you're basically counting on the minimum safe production from him. He's still young, and seems to have figured out his role on the team, so I don't think the pressure on him to produce is as big as before so he can be content to produce in the role he is given and that's a good thing, with the potential to explode at any given moment.

Sign this guy asap.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

i've been saying it's going to cost alot more to replce his production on the free agent market than keeping him, and if he meant this even better.

he doesnt look like the type to want to pack up and leave.
he's made his home here, we gave him a chance when everyone was writing him off cause of his health issues...i hope he's resigned honestly

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Hope they keep him.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:45 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I didn't want him but if he'll take less then I'd re-sign him. Absolutely.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
i jusy t cant see a raise- theres going to be many that will be geting raises in the next few years- i beleive for HAbs this is the best we will see T its -- he isnt getting any better-

Old
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
WHAT!!!!!!!?????????

You want to give him an extension on top of the .remaining two years
yes,

he is at 5.5 next yr 4,5 next and if we locked him up for 3 million going forward, he is worth that.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
yes,

he is at 5.5 next yr 4,5 next and if we locked him up for 3 million going forward, he is worth that.
I like Gomez, but keep in mind, this guys is creeping up on a calendar year long scoring drought. Usually a 3 million dollar player will put a few pucks in the net, even accidentally. Right now he's not worth much.

Shutdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
And yet he has never palyed alongside anyone so talented as Kovalev since. That line was fury...

Being on the Canadiens has done nothing but crush his confidence as a player. It was his one opportunity to shine and boy did he grab it. When we replaced Kovy with Cammalleri, the line seemed like it didn't miss a beat almost. But **** happened since then and Akost has been relegated to a third liner.

I don't realy mind because he CAN play on the third line because of his unique skillset but he can be a lot more than that. I think 40 pts is selling him short, you're basically counting on the minimum safe production from him. He's still young, and seems to have figured out his role on the team, so I don't think the pressure on him to produce is as big as before so he can be content to produce in the role he is given and that's a good thing, with the potential to explode at any given moment.

Sign this guy asap.
He played with Kovalev the very next season and sucked. He has played with lot's of talented players and just has not produced. The biggest problem with him though is that he should be able to carry a line. He is now 27 years old and is not improving. He has peaked as a player. What you see is what you get. What we get is a guy who puts up 40-45 goals and occasionally shows flashes of brilliance but more often than not is just another guy on the ice. If he wants to stay for 2.5 million I'd take it, but his idea of market value is probably 4.5 million and his idea of taking less is still probably more than he already makes. If we can move him for a first rounder we should do it. We'd be dumb not to.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:52 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Not his biggest fan, but i hope they re-sign him.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
He played with Kovalev the very next season and sucked. He has played with lot's of talented players and just has not produced. The biggest problem with him though is that he should be able to carry a line. He is now 27 years old and is not improving. He has peaked as a player. What you see is what you get. What we get is a guy who puts up 40-45 goals and occasionally shows flashes of brilliance but more often than not is just another guy on the ice. If he wants to stay for 2.5 million I'd take it, but his idea of market value is probably 4.5 million and his idea of taking less is still probably more than he already makes. If we can move him for a first rounder we should do it. We'd be dumb not to.
If that last part is what he thinks then I agree with you. Not on the first part though, but I like Kost so I might be biased.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

This is a no brainer.

Give the guy 3.5/per over 3-4 years. Front-loaded. But no NTC/NMC.

Can be a solid 3rd liner with a ton of upside or a complementary winger in the top6.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Forsead

Hopefully he isn't looking to Gomez money

I'm glad I wanted the guy back and it would be nice if it could be with a less than 4 millions/year cap hit.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Gauthier will offer him a one yr deal just to make sure..

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Good to hear, I think the difference with S.Kost an A.Kost is A.Kost doesn't really care much about the media, what ppl think of him etc, maybe that might be because he doesn't speak much English, notice how its rare that you see an interview with him after practice or games. I think on the open market he can get 4 years at 4.5, If I'm MTL i'd offer 3 years at 3.75M, and would offer up to 4M, just not the 4th yaer. I think that would be fair and if he really wanted to stay here he would take that.

I think the best thing that happened to A.Kost is the signing of Cole, I think with Cole bring in the top 6, it let A.kost play a secondary scoring role. 3 years 4M per would be amazing IMO.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
If that last part is what he thinks then I agree with you. Not on the first part though, but I like Kost so I might be biased.
I don't have anything against him either, but at this point of his career its time to decide whether or not we can rely on him to be an effective top 6 winger. I personally don't think we can, so that leaves the 3rd line. If we keep AK with the intention of playing the 3rd line we can only offer him 3rd line money. If he isn't willing to accept that we need to move him.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
coolasprICE

so he'll give a 500K UFA discount essentially

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
yes,

I think we have a new definition of insanity

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
HCH

Quote:
I don't have anything against him either, but at this point of his career its time to decide whether or not we can rely on him to be an effective top 6 winger. I personally don't think we can, so that leaves the 3rd line. If we keep AK with the intention of playing the 3rd line we can only offer him 3rd line money. If he isn't willing to accept that we need to move him.
It's fine to move players. Who do you suggest replacing him with? And don't say a draft choice because we would need someone for the next three years, until the draft choice might be ready to contribute

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Undertakerqc

I hope we dont sign this lazy player. He has been a very dissapointing player ever since he has been here. Every Habs coach had to bench him. If we ever going to be a respectable team again we need once and for all to get rid of the lazy heartless players

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Great news, hope they re-sign him. Him and Eller have really good chemistry, I'd love to see them play more together after this season.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote