HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaroslav Spacek: "I'm very happy to be gone from that circus in Montreal."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
  #101
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You don't consider firing assistant coaches before a game and trading players mid game circus material? I mean, surely it isn't fine and dandy but problem is, it's not only thing. Habs players are calling out the team's attitude on games and you're saying the only circus is language? There's more to it than language.
Agreed, and if there's one thing we've learned from this language stuff it's that Gauthier and co clearly didnt do their homework..

I mean, you know you're going to fire your french speaking coach, you know you're going to replace him with an anglo coach, and you're supposed to know the market your team plays in... and it's improvisation all the way ? not even 5 minutes spent on PR or something ? THIS is part of the circus, not the fact than Connie doesnt speak french...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  #102
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Oh ABSOLUTELY. I keep saying that Gauthier created that mess and circus. It's just that for some people and actually the way Spacek spoke about it, the real circus was all about the Cunneyworth don't speak french thing. Which they all beleive was solely created by the medias. This is what I'm talking about. But don't get me wrong. Gauthier has a whole lot of responsabilities into this. I keep saying that for a long time now.
Fair enough. I think a lot of his actions were unprofessional. Not telling players where they were traded to and all that. I even understand taking cammalleri out mid game...sorta. I mean, if you weren't in 'playoff contention' as he says we are, it doesnt matter...but if we're in a situation where we need to win and its a close game....you cant trade a guy mid game then say next day "we want to make playoffs". It's retarded. I don't think we'll make playoffs or whatever, but I just mean...c'mon, it's a lot of crap on his part and he's making situation worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Agreed, and if there's one thing we've learned from this language stuff it's that Gauthier and co clearly didnt do their homework..

I mean, you know you're going to fire your french speaking coach, you know you're going to replace him with an anglo coach, and you're supposed to know the market your team plays in... and it's improvisation all the way ? not even 5 minutes spent on PR or something ? THIS is part of the circus, not the fact than Connie doesnt speak french...
Well, you can't really blame them 100%. Cunneyworth was new to the team and didnt really have a chance to learn much french despite being the next in line. We've agreed in the past so we'll keep it sort. It's not particularly necessary to have a french speaking coach, but having a guy who can speak basic french, the bonjour, merci and so on would be much appreciated by the population. I think they threw Cunneyworth in the fire there and it was a rough situation. Granted, he has been given a chance to perform and show his knowledge as a head coach in the NHL so he's happy but I think a little back up for Cunneyworth or a little bit of a press conference addressing the situation asap would've aided all this earlier. If they gave cunneyworth a chance to say bonjour, merci and his one liners asap, I think the storm would've been much less dramatic. Sure, i'm assuming here, but I think there's a lot of poor PR work here. As much as I disagree with entire situation, they did not do their homework and they should've addressed situation as soon as possible and as professionally as possible.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
  #103
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,180
vCash: 500
I have zero problem with what he said.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:03 PM
  #104
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,176
vCash: 500
I'm sure he is. It's much easier to get paid close to 4M to put up little points, play around 16min a night, in a dead market, for the last place team in the East.

I'm sure he loved the experience of going to the ECF in 09-10 here too.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM
  #105
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,410
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm sure he is. It's much easier to get paid close to 4M to put up little points, play around 16min a night, in a dead market, for the last place team in the East.

I'm sure he loved the experience of going to the ECF in 09-10 here too.
Is he wrong though?

After this year, he's UFA. So yeah, if I had a choice I would rather play for the 14th-15th place team in the East and face no scrutiny while dealing with management that has no idea where they want to go and a fan-base that is as bi-polar as the direction of the team, over playing for the 12th-13th place team in the East and have everyone dumping on you.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  #106
Andros777
Registered User
 
Andros777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
He was as much to blame as anyone for the way the team was. He's sucked for years. He rarely came close to earning his paycheck.


In conclusion, **** you, you big fat ****.


Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 01-20-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Yeah, we got it.
Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
  #107
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but again an opinion that prooves that you don't understand how it's working here. Nordiques will NOT divide the people. You'll not only have real Nordiques fans who will gladly come over and bash the Habs. You'll have Habs fans really dissapoitned if the Nords are doing better and they can't shut them up. And then you'll have Habs fans where their only fun will be to bash the Habs and mostly if the Nords are doing better. The circus will be even stronger. People who wish the Nords to come back will be up for an incredibly rude awakening.

As far as the french angle, well, again, if you would have had a management who would have recognized that, there would not have been a circus to begin with. The day you have a management who frankly does it on purpose, well THEY become responsible for it. They decided to show everybody how it has to be done....and now they'll be shown the door leaving a big mess behind them. Besides, people do talk about it from time to time, but having more franco players were not even a discussion at this point prior to the Cunneyworth hiring. It THEN become one when people realized that NEVER in the history of the team, did we have such a few representation of local players. So Gauthier and Co eradicate the local players and now by not keeping Martin in, did it for the coach. Add the simple fact that we are almost as bad as the last 90's and you have the perfect recipe for failure.

So yes, RDS aren't happy because of his comments. Just like tons of people who were bashing Lats and Co for their comments. That's called the 2 solitudes going at it. This is what is special about this province whether people like it or not. It's the constant "battle" between 2 nations with what is great about this (this board for example filled with francos and anglos) and the bad....And when you have to manageTHE most important thing in this province aside from Star Académie, you need to be aware of this situation. Is it harder than some other teams? Yes. But is it possible to deal with it? Absolutely. With the right people. Not the ones we have now.
You seem like an intelligent guy, but, with all due respect, it's attitudes like yours that fuel the fire. I lived in Montreal for 10 years, and do, in fact understand how it works in Quebec. I lived in Montreal during the height of the battle of quebec. I lived through the incredible comeback series against the Nordiques in 93. I know first hand the passion of the rivalry. Yes we will be incessantly bashed by Nordique fans, many of whom would rather eat cockroaches than cheer for the habs and as a result cheer for Boston or Toronto. In fact I believe many of these Nord fans revel in the circus they are freely able to create surrounding the habs. The resentment and contempt they (nordique Fans) held for the Canadiens seems all to familiar in the incessant attacks on all things regarding our team.

This however is not as much about the fans as the media that purport to represent those fans. If you think for one second that RDS won't focus a large part of their resource to covering the Nords you are wrong. Given a choice between embracing a QC team that can be built and marketed as francophone and the habs who are clearly vilified as being too anglo-centric its a no brainer. The rivalry will be great for both teams.

It makes absolutely no sense to disqualify over 80 per cent of qualified applicants for a job simply because they don't speak french. Management indeed caused the circus, but it was well under way before RC was ever made coach. I find it incredibly insulting as a fan of the team that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not french, so I couldn't possibly understand the miopic, insular, insecure anglophobe minority that claim to be a fan of the team. If quebecors need a team to be francophone to justify their phobia and ego then let it be the Nordique, not MY HABS.

MY HABS were coached and managed by anglophones long before I was born and were very successful. We had the advantage that Richard and Beliveau would never be able to play for any other team, nor would they dream it. Bourque, Lemieux, Giroulx, Lecavalier, St. Louis never had a chance to play for us, and probably not at desire... who needs the grief.

Spacek has absolutely nothing to do with the 2 solitudes. Most of the team doesn't. I had a french friend today tell me that Serge Savard was the best GM ever of the habs.... by what measuring stick... the fact that he was the first Franco GM of the modern era.... how bout the fact that he single handedly dismantled the captaincy of the team by trading 5 captains. The captain of the team used have a routine for warmup that had been passed down from captain to captain... this disappeared... ya he was a great GM alright. He certainly ushered in the modern era. Chelios for Savard... priority immediately evident and we've not been the same since.

We need the right people, you are correct... unfortunately the right people aren't always french.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:59 PM
  #108
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, you can't really blame them 100%. Cunneyworth was new to the team and didnt really have a chance to learn much french despite being the next in line. We've agreed in the past so we'll keep it sort. It's not particularly necessary to have a french speaking coach, but having a guy who can speak basic french, the bonjour, merci and so on would be much appreciated by the population. I think they threw Cunneyworth in the fire there and it was a rough situation. Granted, he has been given a chance to perform and show his knowledge as a head coach in the NHL so he's happy but I think a little back up for Cunneyworth or a little bit of a press conference addressing the situation asap would've aided all this earlier. If they gave cunneyworth a chance to say bonjour, merci and his one liners asap, I think the storm would've been much less dramatic. Sure, i'm assuming here, but I think there's a lot of poor PR work here. As much as I disagree with entire situation, they did not do their homework and they should've addressed situation as soon as possible and as professionally as possible.
that's what I'm referring to. If you know the market your team plays in then you know it can easily create a storm... so you prepare for it...

not wait for the owner to issue a statement afterwards, and then Gauthier talking about it to try to calm everyone later on...

come on... Molson is a Montrealer, his family owned the team years ago, Gauthier is french speaking... it's not like they werent aware of the potential storm...

I mean, even American owner Gillett and Ontarian GM Gainey knew better...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
  #109
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
You seem like an intelligent guy, but, with all due respect, it's attitudes like yours that fuel the fire. I lived in Montreal for 10 years, and do, in fact understand how it works in Quebec. I lived in Montreal during the height of the battle of quebec. I lived through the incredible comeback series against the Nordiques in 93. I know first hand the passion of the rivalry. Yes we will be incessantly bashed by Nordique fans, many of whom would rather eat cockroaches than cheer for the habs and as a result cheer for Boston or Toronto. In fact I believe many of these Nord fans revel in the circus they are freely able to create surrounding the habs. The resentment and contempt they (nordique Fans) held for the Canadiens seems all to familiar in the incessant attacks on all things regarding our team.

This however is not as much about the fans as the media that purport to represent those fans. If you think for one second that RDS won't focus a large part of their resource to covering the Nords you are wrong. Given a choice between embracing a QC team that can be built and marketed as francophone and the habs who are clearly vilified as being too anglo-centric its a no brainer. The rivalry will be great for both teams.

It makes absolutely no sense to disqualify over 80 per cent of qualified applicants for a job simply because they don't speak french. Management indeed caused the circus, but it was well under way before RC was ever made coach. I find it incredibly insulting as a fan of the team that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not french, so I couldn't possibly understand the miopic, insular, insecure anglophobe minority that claim to be a fan of the team. If quebecors need a team to be francophone to justify their phobia and ego then let it be the Nordique, not MY HABS.

MY HABS were coached and managed by anglophones long before I was born and were very successful. We had the advantage that Richard and Beliveau would never be able to play for any other team, nor would they dream it. Bourque, Lemieux, Giroulx, Lecavalier, St. Louis never had a chance to play for us, and probably not at desire... who needs the grief.

Spacek has absolutely nothing to do with the 2 solitudes. Most of the team doesn't. I had a french friend today tell me that Serge Savard was the best GM ever of the habs.... by what measuring stick... the fact that he was the first Franco GM of the modern era.... how bout the fact that he single handedly dismantled the captaincy of the team by trading 5 captains. The captain of the team used have a routine for warmup that had been passed down from captain to captain... this disappeared... ya he was a great GM alright. He certainly ushered in the modern era. Chelios for Savard... priority immediately evident and we've not been the same since.

We need the right people, you are correct... unfortunately the right people aren't always french.
You can spin the same arguments over and over again but ultimately, the facts prove that the Habs' bilingual coaches >>> the VAST majority of other team's coaches during the last 30 years. I've posted this stuff before, but i'll post it again everybody gets it.

From 1984-2011, the habs have employed franco coaches. Let's compare with that other prestigious canadian team:

Canadiens coaches

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: Adams winner

Leafs coaches

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist

Let's compare all first-time coaches brought up to the NHL in the same time frame by original six teams:

Introduced to the NHL by the Habs

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist

Introduced to the NHL by the Red Wings

Nick Polano: ?
Brad Park: ?
Dave Lewis: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Bruins

Gerry Cheevers: ?
Butch Goring: ?
Terry Oreilly: SC finalist
Mike Milbury: SC finalist
Steve Kasper: ?
Mike Sullivan: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Leafs

Mike Nykoluk: ?
George Armstrong: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Blackhawks

Orval Tessier: Adams winner
Mike Murdoch: Adams winner
Darryl Sutter: SC finalist
Craig Hartsburg: ?
Dirk Graham: ?
Lorne Molleken: ?
Alpo Suhonen: ?
Trent Yawney: ?
Denis Savard: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Rangers

Herb Brooks: ?
Ted Sator: ?
Ron Smith: ?
Colin Campbell: ?
Bryan Trottier: ?

Fact: The Canadiens' employment of franco/bilingual coaches has resulted in higher quality coaches than most other teams.

CQFD

Please try the same for other teams and see how the Habs compare...

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:03 PM
  #110
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
This coming from someone who played like absolute trash while here. Good riddance, to think people whined about getting Kaberle over that turd.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
  #111
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
You can spin the same arguments over and over again but ultimately, the facts prove that the Habs' bilingual coaches >>> the VAST majority of other team's coaches during the last 30 years. I've posted this stuff before, but i'll post it again everybody gets it.

From 1984-2011, the habs have employed franco coaches. Let's compare with that other prestigious canadian team:

Canadiens coaches

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: Adams winner

Leafs coaches

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist

Let's compare all first-time coaches brought up to the NHL in the same time frame by original six teams:

Introduced to the NHL by the Habs

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist

Introduced to the NHL by the Red Wings

Nick Polano: ?
Brad Park: ?
Dave Lewis: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Bruins

Gerry Cheevers: ?
Butch Goring: ?
Terry Oreilly: SC finalist
Mike Milbury: SC finalist
Steve Kasper: ?
Mike Sullivan: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Leafs

Mike Nykoluk: ?
George Armstrong: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Blackhawks

Orval Tessier: Adams winner
Mike Murdoch: Adams winner
Darryl Sutter: SC finalist
Craig Hartsburg: ?
Dirk Graham: ?
Lorne Molleken: ?
Alpo Suhonen: ?
Trent Yawney: ?
Denis Savard: ?

Introduced to the NHL by the Rangers

Herb Brooks: ?
Ted Sator: ?
Ron Smith: ?
Colin Campbell: ?
Bryan Trottier: ?

Fact: The Canadiens' employment of franco/bilingual coaches has resulted in higher quality coaches than most other teams.

CQFD

Please try the same for other teams and see how the Habs compare...
You bring up a good point, but you can spin those a different way too. How many of those Habs coaches coached US to a SC. Why should we always be the training ground for a french coach to learn the trade, only to leave after inevitable shelf life only to be successful elsewhere.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:15 PM
  #112
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
You bring up a good point, but you can spin those a different way too. How many of those Habs coaches coached US to a SC. Why should we always be the training ground for a french coach to learn the trade, only to leave after inevitable shelf life only to be successful elsewhere.
That's not the coach's problem, it's the management's. Would you be happier if we were fighting with other teams to hire coaches like Steve Kasper, Brad Park, Dirk Graham, Bryan Trottier or Randy Cunneyworth? Ooops, too late.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
  #113
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
You seem like an intelligent guy, but, with all due respect, it's attitudes like yours that fuel the fire. I lived in Montreal for 10 years, and do, in fact understand how it works in Quebec. I lived in Montreal during the height of the battle of quebec. I lived through the incredible comeback series against the Nordiques in 93. I know first hand the passion of the rivalry. Yes we will be incessantly bashed by Nordique fans, many of whom would rather eat cockroaches than cheer for the habs and as a result cheer for Boston or Toronto. In fact I believe many of these Nord fans revel in the circus they are freely able to create surrounding the habs. The resentment and contempt they (nordique Fans) held for the Canadiens seems all to familiar in the incessant attacks on all things regarding our team.

This however is not as much about the fans as the media that purport to represent those fans. If you think for one second that RDS won't focus a large part of their resource to covering the Nords you are wrong. Given a choice between embracing a QC team that can be built and marketed as francophone and the habs who are clearly vilified as being too anglo-centric its a no brainer. The rivalry will be great for both teams.

It makes absolutely no sense to disqualify over 80 per cent of qualified applicants for a job simply because they don't speak french. Management indeed caused the circus, but it was well under way before RC was ever made coach. I find it incredibly insulting as a fan of the team that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not french, so I couldn't possibly understand the miopic, insular, insecure anglophobe minority that claim to be a fan of the team. If quebecors need a team to be francophone to justify their phobia and ego then let it be the Nordique, not MY HABS.

MY HABS were coached and managed by anglophones long before I was born and were very successful. We had the advantage that Richard and Beliveau would never be able to play for any other team, nor would they dream it. Bourque, Lemieux, Giroulx, Lecavalier, St. Louis never had a chance to play for us, and probably not at desire... who needs the grief.

Spacek has absolutely nothing to do with the 2 solitudes. Most of the team doesn't. I had a french friend today tell me that Serge Savard was the best GM ever of the habs.... by what measuring stick... the fact that he was the first Franco GM of the modern era.... how bout the fact that he single handedly dismantled the captaincy of the team by trading 5 captains. The captain of the team used have a routine for warmup that had been passed down from captain to captain... this disappeared... ya he was a great GM alright. He certainly ushered in the modern era. Chelios for Savard... priority immediately evident and we've not been the same since.

We need the right people, you are correct... unfortunately the right people aren't always french.
Both you and WS make a lot of great points and I actually find myself agreeing with both of you.

In this particular case however, I don't see why we didn't just hire a bilingual coach. We brought in an interim guy anyway and the club is struggling. It's basically a lost season. There's really not much else to talk about in regards to the team so why light this match?

As I said before, if we were a contending team and there was a coach out there that we just HAD to have like Ken Hitchcock... sure, go ahead and hire him. I highly doubt you're going to see much of a reaction there. But that wasn't the case. We had a crappy team playing under expectations and we fire a francophone coach for an anglo rookie. That's just a recipe for disaster.

The french media circus I agree was ridiculous. Should it be that way? I don't know. I get the sentiment, the customers are French and the club should at least try to get somebody who speaks there language. But this (in my opinion anyway) was way overblown.

Unfortunately though, PG is not Bob Gainey. Gainey (for all his flaws as GM) held the respect of everyone. He would've handled this much better than PG has. PG's lack of planning and subsequent very weak response was an embarassment and this entire situation won't help us attract FAs in the future. I can see both sides. What I will say though is that there's a time and a place to make a move like this and this was not one of those times.

The team should've known this and should've been better prepared for it. And that's something I think we ALL can agree on.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
  #114
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
We need the right people, you are correct... unfortunately the right people aren't always french.
I know. Everytime we bring a french name, it's always about the fact that we're certainly bringing a french guy solely cause of the language he speaks. And then, for everybody who keeps bringing the the right people isn't certainly french, I keep waiting for those anglo coaches we miss and that would be so much better than what we have now. And my attitude is not a problem. Especially if you are aware that my #1 candidate for the GM job is....Jim Benning. So let's be careful before trying to target somebody into something he's not. Yet, the coaching job is a totaly different ballgame.

Let's play a game. We fire Martin....and this happen the day a guy named Ken Hitchcock is available. I can tell you that most people want NOTHING to do with him. I could call him best man available all you want, they'd laugh at me and tell me how the heck he is the best man. Well St-Louis NOW can tell you why. But would it had be the same thing with the guys we have now? What does Hitchcock have more than Martin anyway? And remember this. EVERY team has its share of professionnals. From some people opinion around here, every of those professionnals are way more intelligent than most of the armchair scouts, GM's and coaches that are posting on this board. Well, for every of those professionnals that hired a GM or a coach, each and every man WERE, for them, the best man available. Well guess what? It didn't change the fact that some were fired this year. Will be fired next year and the year after without accomplishing anything. Claude Julien went from 1 goal to be fired to winning a Stanley Cup and maybe on the verge of winning another one. There is nothing like the best man available unless your name could be Mike Babcock or Dan Bylsma. To a certain extent you could debate Barry Trotz and Lindy Ruff, though even for Ruff, now that Buffalo is seen as a player, he is not exactly succeeding. Which for me means that the best man available, becomes the best man available FOR A MARKET LIKE MONTREAL. And frankly, in the past, with that extra thing to consider as far as speaking french, you had guys who had some success elsewhere in the league. While others might not have worked as good. Just their fault? Or a bad timing due to poor teams? Probably a bit of both but then.....just like all these other teams who don't have the same franco debate but have their own share of hits and misses. And again it is a false debate. Just like for the players, NOBODY wants Jean Perron instead of Mike Babcock jsut because Perron speaks the language. But it will never be about that anyway. Is Randy Carlisle that clear of a best man available? Is it really the kinda of team that suits him? There are other bad coaches in this league right now...how come he doesn't have a job yet?

And yes, from Dick Irvin to Toe Blake, coaches were once anglos. Which are totally different eras though. And yet, even in some eras, you had tons of french guys on the ice to compensate for it. Now, for the first time ever, this organization eradicates almost every franco players on the ice and the coach behind the bench. It is a first. This team is more than just a hockey team. It's an institution. An institution that made his name by being the greatest AND by having a lot of locals participating in it. Which is incredible is that we made a big fuss at remembering what was during our 100th year.....to then forget it 3 years after. And people expect it to just let it slide ON TOP of being an average team?


Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-20-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:35 PM
  #115
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Yeah a lot of teams are out of playoffs contention in November
a lot actually are. 2 months ago we were hovering around 8th. Now, we are hovering around last.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:37 PM
  #116
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Is he wrong though?

After this year, he's UFA. So yeah, if I had a choice I would rather play for the 14th-15th place team in the East and face no scrutiny while dealing with management that has no idea where they want to go and a fan-base that is as bi-polar as the direction of the team, over playing for the 12th-13th place team in the East and have everyone dumping on you.
No he isn't wrong at all. But he also should thank Montreal for giving him such a contract.
If I was a NHL player, I wouldn't want to play in Mtl. I'm born and raised here, a franco, but man, gimme the sun and some peace over the snow and chaos any day of the week. Less taxes is an added bonus to make it all an even easier decision to take.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
  #117
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,410
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No he isn't wrong at all. But he also should thank Montreal for giving him such a contract.
If I was a NHL player, I wouldn't want to play in Mtl. I'm born and raised here, a franco, but man, gimme the sun and some peace over the snow and chaos any day of the week. Less taxes is an added bonus to make it all an even easier decision to take.
Agreed with the being appreciative for his contract part.

But given the way things are handled in Montreal, the fans being bi-polar, others creating protests, kids given up on despite obvious potential. Added with all you said, yeah I'd be just as happy. However, all these things are magnified when the team is losing. If the Habs are a playoff team right now, all these problems don't matter.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
  #118
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,470
vCash: 500
Spacek is being honest but in the spirit of honesty, he was a disappointing signing and is a mediocre-at-best defenseman on his last legs. He'll be lucky to get an NHL contract his offseason.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
  #119
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Agreed with the being appreciative for his contract part.

But given the way things are handled in Montreal, the fans being bi-polar, others creating protests, kids given up on despite obvious potential. Added with all you said, yeah I'd be just as happy. However, all these things are magnified when the team is losing. If the Habs are a playoff team right now, all these problems don't matter.
If the Habs were winning those protests probably don't even happen in the first place.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:53 PM
  #120
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,371
vCash: 500
On l'Antichambre, François Gagnon just said that the only reason or the main reason why Spacek made those comments is out of frustration towards Gauthier and how he was treated when he was traded. Was just Gagnon's reasoning, he didn't get the info from Spacek himself, don't worry. Gagnon said that Spacek LOVED Montreal and loved playing here.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
  #121
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
I dont think spacek said anything that we would consider to be surprising. Montreal is not a fun place to play when things go sour. I wouldnt be surprised if there are other guys on the team that would welcome a change of scenery at this point. You can fire the management, but I think alot of damage has already been done, and convincing players to come here in the off season just got tougher.

You can argue about what the real reasons are for players not wanting to be here.... but with everything that has gone on inside and outside of the rink, the idea of playing in montreal has taken a tremendous beating, and it was never an easy sell at the best of times either.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
  #122
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 500
Some are too caught up in Spacek's performance here. What Spacek is saying echoes what a lot of other players are saying. Perception is reality. Spacek is widely respected and he's a good guy. I think he enjoyed his time playing here. However, the organization is brain dead and the media/crazy fans can be a problem. You don't think the current players feel this way?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:57 PM
  #123
Jamie Thomas
Registered User
 
Jamie Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 50
What I get, from what he said, is that he thought that the ****storm that happened after the hiring of a unilingual coach was an absolute circus with the medias and the fans, and I would agree with him. I mean this is coming from a player. What do you think players from others teams think when they hear about that? Really great way to sell your team and your city to possible new players. And later we, as fans, will wonder why we can't get UFA to come play here. Well this is a start for an answer.

Jamie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
  #124
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
On l'Antichambre, François Gagnon just said that the only reason or the main reason why Spacek made those comments is out of frustration towards Gauthier and how he was treated when he was traded. Was just Gagnon's reasoning, he didn't get the info from Spacek himself, don't worry. Gagnon said that Spacek LOVED Montreal and loved playing here.
Gagnon likes to assume a lot of things.
He was also assuming every bit of dialogue between Ladouceur and PK on the bench after that mistake/goal.

I'm sure he loved Mtl, and he may be pissed at Gauthier, but I don't see why he'd say that out of frustration. I believe it's simple truth. It's a zoo.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
  #125
Born in 1909
Vive la France!
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
This thread is but another part of the circus.

If you can't take the heat stay out of Montreal

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.