HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sports Club Stats (8 Teams so far are eliminated)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Sports Club Stats (8 Teams so far are eliminated)

Everyone's favorite website

Was reading a James Mirtle tweet earlier, I think he's right ... some teams are dead on arrival already

There are 8 teams for all intents and purposes already eliminated from the playoff race:

Isles, Sabres, Canadiens, Lightning, Ducks, Hurricanes, Oilers & the BJs

Those are the teams we should be looking at right now ... Can a brother get a sticky ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
  #2
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,260
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Everyone's favorite website

Was reading a James Mirtle tweet earlier, I think he's right ... some teams are dead on arrival already

There are 8 teams for all intents and purposes already eliminated from the playoff race:

Isles, Sabres, Canadiens, Lightning, Ducks, Hurricanes, Oilers & the BJs

Those are the teams we should be looking at right now ... Can a brother get a sticky ?
Im not sure I buy those stats. They give us zero chance of winning the division and only a minuscule chance of getting the 4 or 5 seed.

but I agree with the 8 teams that are pretty much out of it... the problem is they don't all accept it yet

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:04 AM
  #3
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
I think it's actually about right. Look at the rest of the division, three of the four teams in the Central will finish 4-8, and St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit are all currently ahead of the Predators. It's not a huge gap (6 points from 6th to 1st, right now), but the reality is the Predators are looking at 4th, 5th, and 6th. That site gives them a 52% chance to finish there, and a 73% chance to finish 4-7, if LA keeps sneaking up the rankings. If you had to put money on where this team finishes now, do you think they finish 1st in the West or 4, 5, or 6th, given how strong the division is again this year?

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
  #4
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,260
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
I think it's actually about right. Look at the rest of the division, three of the four teams in the Central will finish 4-8, and St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit are all currently ahead of the Predators. It's not a huge gap (6 points from 6th to 1st, right now), but the reality is the Predators are looking at 4th, 5th, and 6th. That site gives them a 52% chance to finish there, and a 73% chance to finish 4-7, if LA keeps sneaking up the rankings. If you had to put money on where this team finishes now, do you think they finish 1st in the West or 4, 5, or 6th, given how strong the division is again this year?
I agree that its likely that we finish 5th or 6th but we can catch chicago this week with two regulation wins so the probabilities shouldn't be as low as they are for us to finish 4th or even first.

yes six points is a lot but with 35 games to go it shouldn't be zero probability...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
  #5
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
I wouldn't bury the ducks yet. they trail colorado by 13 and have 3 games in hand. win two of those and they are 9 back. they can take care of dallas and phoenix themselves by taking care of business. They are a team of putting a nice run together....just like last year. they have 37 games left. winning 2/3 of them is 25 and 12 roughly. 50 points puts them at 89. add a few ot losses and they are right there.

a longshot, but I kinda still expect them to finish 8th. I think the only diff in the playoffs will be STL bumping PHO

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:49 AM
  #6
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
I think it was this time last year when the Preds were second and only five points back on #1 Detroit. In just a season the Preds are now 6 pts back from #1 Chicago, but sit fourth in the division.

I think the three WC clubs are definitely out of it, and they know it. There is an 11 point separation between #13 Anaheim and #12 Phoenix. That's a lot of ground to make up just to move into 12th. 13pts for Anaheim to move into the eighth spot.

Out East it's a bit trickier since there is only a six point separation between Buffalo/Montreal and Winnipeg. Only nine points for Buffalo or Montreal to get into eighth, and 10 points for the rest.

They all have a pretty steep mountain to climb, but those extra three or four points could be the difference in a few of the EC clubs thinking they are still in it and realizing they are not.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
  #7
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
I saw Buffalo play at home against Columbus the day after US Thanksgiving. While it was only on TV, the Sabres had a meltdown against the worst team in the NHL. I believed that night that Buffalo wouldn't make the playoffs for this season. Having their goalie run over didn't help Buffalo's chances. Columbus should be relegated to the AHL for next season, but this isn't English soccer.

The Ducks haven't recovered from being bounced out of last year's SC playoffs by the Preds. The Isles are the Isles. I need to peek at the standings to evaluate the other teams.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  #8
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I saw Buffalo play at home against Columbus the day after US Thanksgiving. While it was only on TV, the Sabres had a meltdown against the worst team in the NHL. I believed that night that Buffalo wouldn't make the playoffs for this season. Having their goalie run over didn't help Buffalo's chances. Columbus should be relegated to the AHL for next season, but this isn't English soccer.

The Ducks haven't recovered from being bounced out of last year's SC playoffs by the Preds. The Isles are the Isles. I need to peek at the standings to evaluate the other teams.

What the hell did the AHL do to deserve the Jackets? That's just a cruel thing to suggest for such a good league.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
  #9
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
What the hell did the AHL do to deserve the Jackets? That's just a cruel thing to suggest for such a good league.
Sorry. The AHL is my favorite hockey league. Columbus is running away with 30th place in the NHL. I don't think that Edmonton or Anaheim can catch them.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.