HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quick Question (mod: UFA signing deadline)

Old
01-19-2012, 11:58 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quick Question (mod: UFA signing deadline)

When is the cut off to sign Free Agents, if there is one at all? Like, is a team able to sign a Free Agent after the trade deadline and beyond, or is it only before the trade deadline?

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:48 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Bump. Couldn't find any clear cut information, anyone have any info on this?

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
barneyg

vCash: 500
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no cut off per se, but the signed player has to go through waivers if he is signed after December 1st, and could therefore be claimed by any other team. See the Nabokov situation last year.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

A team can sign a UFA at any time, but I assume you mean if that UFA would be playoff eligible. To be able to play for a team in the playoffs a player would have to be signed by the trade deadline I believe.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no cut off per se, but the signed player has to go through waivers if he is signed after December 1st, and could therefore be claimed by any other team. See the Nabokov situation last year.
Not correct at all.

A UFA/RFA must be signed by the trade deadline to be eligible for playoffs. But there is no deadline, you can sign players past the trade deadline, but they cannot simply can only finish out the season, they are not eligible for playoffs.

If and only if a player has played in Europe during the season then decides to come back to NA during the same season he must be exposed to waivers before playing, like Nabokov/Wellwood/Svatos last year or Miettinen this year. The date has nothing to do with it.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not correct at all.

A UFA/RFA must be signed by the trade deadline to be eligible for playoffs. But there is no deadline, you can sign players past the trade deadline, but they cannot simply can only finish out the season, they are not eligible for playoffs.

If and only if a player has played in Europe during the season then decides to come back to NA during the same season he must be exposed to waivers before playing, like Nabokov/Wellwood/Svatos last year or Miettinen this year. The date has nothing to do with it.
I stand corrected, I was out to lunch on that one.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not correct at all.

Mostly correct. There is no deadline for signing UFAs, but RFAs must be signed by December 1 or they are not eligible to play that season.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Mostly correct. There is no deadline for signing UFAs, but RFAs must be signed by December 1 or they are not eligible to play that season.
Damn, I had it listed as UFA and changed it last minute to UFA/RFA. For some reason I was thinking it was a Maloney deadline for Turris, not a league rule. Thanks.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote