HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The dreaded "rough spot" has arrived

Old
01-20-2012, 04:06 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
We won I think 6 of 9 this month. If that's our rough patch I'll be thrilled
Problem is, historically the last few years this is actually where the rough patch begins.

Big test coming up tomorrow against the Bruins.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Perhaps not a rough spot, but coming back down to Earth?

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Perhaps not a rough spot, but coming back down to Earth?
Crashing*

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Crashing*
I hate this board sometimes...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Not concerned at all to be honest.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Problem is, historically the last few years this is actually where the rough patch begins.

Big test coming up tomorrow against the Bruins.
I'm pretty sure post lockout December has been our bad month and that didn't happen this year.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Vitto79

ahhhh bring it............the team has bounced back all yr ,every team goes through rough patches......they have such a big lead that they will bounce back

stay positive and most importantly build confidence as the playoffs eventually arrive

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Dorado*

My concern revolves more around the teams best players not on the score sheet for weeks on end . Losses will happen in reg season and play off series'. Break downs and " bone head plays "'happen . The reality is the knock ore season on this team was it's potential to have trouble scoring which at exactly the Half way point has come to fruition and reared it's ugly head . Finding wAys to win and playing incomplete games has been Torts comments after a lot of the teams wins . Now the team lately has had the bounces go the other way . Is this the natural ebb and flow of the season ? Perhaps , or is the team settling into it's natural place talentwise which ultimAtely is potentially middle of the pack . This has been a nice taste of potentially a new winning culture but when it's all said and done the team as constructed has to play too perfect and walk a delicate tightrope in order to truly be competitive with teams that can play several styles of hockey not just the grind it out impose your will style the NYR have been winning with . NYR will continue to be a tough team to beat when they have a 2 goal lead and will be hard pressed to consistently win here in out if they fall behind unless they solve the PP and or make some personnel changes to have players that compliment the teams biggest investment

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:21 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I hate this board sometimes...

Old
01-21-2012, 12:30 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

The powerplay definitely needs to be worked on. It is abysmal. Has anyone ever heard of a one-timer?

We need our full d corps back. I know D hasn't been the problem, but I'd like to see Sauer back as well as Emmy actually.

Richards needs to step up his game in a complete fashion, Dubi needs to get on track offensively, Cally has been slipping lately and Gabby is in a bit of a goal-slump, though creating many chances.

Give these guys more time and fool around with the combinations a bit, but stop putting Feds or Boyle or something in the top six. I hate how Torts does that. I don't care if they're grinding well, they aren't scorers. Get them out of there.

On the other hand, Hagelin has been absolutely excellent. Love his play.

We could definitely use a top-6 player at the deadline. A 20-25g guy could put us over the hump.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bobby Holik blogged about the Dog Days Of Winter.

http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/...ays-of-winter/

Holik was a lousy Rangers but he has a unique perspective of the NHL.
i heard him on the radio a while back talking about the concussion problem ( i think it was around when giroux got his concussion) and he was pretty insightful. i think hes a pretty good analyst.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

This rough spot is the best rough spot that this team has had in a very long time. They are always in a game, and even when not playing their best they still play pretty good.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:44 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Well so far it's win one, lose one, but the WAY we lost last night right before we go against the powerhouse from bean town is very disconcerting. Bruins will be looking to send a message, and if we get pummled 8-0 or something like that, it could be a major setback.

Yeah. I think we'll be fine.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
Yeah. I think we'll be fine.
That's a big win for sure, now let's pummel the Jets and smoooooth this over! lol

01-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Have to see what Boston does to NYR on Saturday, then we'll see how bad the rough waters will be.

This is not a first place team, so dropping a few spots doesn't warrant any panic.

Powerplay is the biggest problem. I think a big point shot defenceman would do more good for offense than the level of scorer that we could actually acquire.
Another ignorant fan. As someone who has been watching the Rangers for 40 years this team is a good team and for the past month every time I have looked they are a first place team!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
Another ignorant fan. As someone who has been watching the Rangers for 40 years this team is a good team and for the past month every time I have looked they are a first place team!
LOL that was good stuff...

Anyway, today was a big win as far as keeping our confidence goes. Although I have to say, while we did win, I think Boston outplayed us for most of the game. Physically I think Boston was all over us, and their puck movement seemed to be a little above ours as well. Having said that, Callahan and Gaborik pulled off two BEAUT goals this afternoon to keep us ahead of the competition. Then in overtime during our extended powerplay, we got to watch our PP fail for a couple of minutes (where I was literally screaming at my TV, "SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"... But nevertheless, with extremely hard work, in the last minute we managed to pull it off and grab the win. Thank you Rangers, thank you.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm pretty sure post lockout December has been our bad month and that didn't happen this year.
December has been bad at times also, but mid to later January thru most of February is the period that usually makes us have to have a very good March just to make the playoffs. Happened in 06-07, 08-09 and last year just off the top of my head.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
LOL that was good stuff...

Anyway, today was a big win as far as keeping our confidence goes. Although I have to say, while we did win, I think Boston outplayed us for most of the game. Physically I think Boston was all over us, and their puck movement seemed to be a little above ours as well. Having said that, Callahan and Gaborik pulled off two BEAUT goals this afternoon to keep us ahead of the competition. Then in overtime during our extended powerplay, we got to watch our PP fail for a couple of minutes (where I was literally screaming at my TV, "SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"... But nevertheless, with extremely hard work, in the last minute we managed to pull it off and grab the win. Thank you Rangers, thank you.
I thought Boston was all over us and for a good portion of the 3rd. However I thought it was even for the most part and at time the Rangers were the better team. The shots were pretty much even, that doesn't always tell the whole story but I think for the most part today.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:17 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
If the rough spot consists of this being a .500 team, I'll be pretty damn happy. If we're .500 for the rest of the season, we still get 99 points. (6th in the conference last year). Hopefully the rough spot won't continue for 37 games.
Indeed. The hallmark of this year's Rangers aren't the 7 game or 5 game winning streaks. So many other teams have gotten similarly hot at one time or another.

No, what seperates NY from the rest of the league is that we have never had a prolonged losing spell. Only once has this team ever had a 2 game losing streak. Other than that, it's been one regulation loss coupled with a OT/SO loss a few times. Or as it has been the last week or so, alternating Ws and Ls. The key to success has been, this team has steadily racked up ponts w/o getting into a slump. We've seen the Bruins, Nucks, Wings, and Hawks make runs at having the highest point total, but all of them would eventually stumble with mini-losing streaks. But not the Blueshirts, so far.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:26 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Indeed. The hallmark of this year's Rangers aren't the 7 game or 5 game winning streaks. So many other teams have gotten similarly hot at one time or another.

No, what seperates NY from the rest of the league is that we have never had a prolonged losing spell. Only once has this team ever had a 2 game losing streak. Other than that, it's been one regulation loss coupled with a OT/SO loss a few times. Or as it has been the last week or so, alternating Ws and Ls. The key to success has been, this team has steadily racked up ponts w/o getting into a slump. We've seen the Bruins, Nucks, Wings, and Hawks make runs at having the highest point total, but all of them would eventually stumble with mini-losing streaks. But not the Blueshirts, so far.
They actually had 2 two game pointless streaks. Montreal 4-0 and Florida 2-1 as well as Dallas 1-0 and St. Louis 4-1.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I think playing. 500 hockey when your scorers aren't scoring is pretty damn good. Just look at the Crapitals.

This team is still young, patches like this are to be expected. Honestly I thought the rough spots would have been much worse. I am not terribly worried at all. I think Richards, Gabby (not counting today), and the few others currently slumping will pick it up .

Last edited by Miamipuck: 01-23-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:54 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
That's a big win for sure, now let's pummel the Jets and smoooooth this over! lol
I have a renewed confidence in this team. May be because of this big win, and yeah we do have to fix a lot of things, but I can see us beating Winnipeg.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I'm trying to envision winning playoff series against goon squads like Boston and Philly.

Did Boston indeed try to injure one of our guys? Yes.

Will the Rangers finish first overall in the league? Probably not.

Is the Rangers' powerplay struggling? Yes.

I'm glad they are doing well. Good to see your age has given you grace in talking to your fellow fans.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
sickboy35

I swear some of u have nothing better to do than make ***** up to bring ut down? dude they r doin well without a PP if they had that they would be the so far ahead of anyone we could have the presidents trophy in erly March, there is no pattern of win one lose one it has happened the past week or so not a pattern n even if it were we still get 99 points by going .500 the rest of the way, as someone pointed out, and I would take that in a heartbeat.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Pugs35

While it certainly wasn't pretty at times, the Rangers just finished a 3 game stretch against a Nashville team that has now won 10 of 12, a streaking Penguins, and the defending champs.

The Rangers won 2 out of 3. If that's rough, I can't wait 'til they turn it around.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote