HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geoff Molson guilty of incompetence?

Old
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Geoff Molson guilty of incompetence?

I think the course of the season might have been different if Geoff Molson had been a bit smarter when JM has been fired saying the coaching staff situation would be reevaluated in the summer and that the french factor would be very important.. He basically said Conney had no chance to come back as the head coach next season removing any credibility, grip or power Conney could have on his guys.. I know there was alot of pressure from politicians and journalists concerning the matter but to me Geoff cracked under pressure and sent a really bad message from his position.. Im not trying to excuse our guys cause if the leadership was better, they would have passed through the storm, but it was certainly not the smartest statement made by a president of the Habs, I doubt Boivin would have put his team in trouble like this..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He's made some rookie mistakes, but it is way, way to early to judge. He hasn't really had a chance to put his stamp on the team as an owner.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think the course of the season might have been different if Geoff Molson had been a bit smarter when JM has been fired saying the coaching staff situation would be reevaluated in the summer and that the french factor would be very important.. He basically said Conney had no chance to come back as the head coach next season removing any credibility, grip or power Conney could have on his guys.. I know there was alot of pressure from politicians and journalists concerning the matter but to me Geoff cracked under pressure and sent a really bad message from his position.. Im not trying to excuse our guys cause if the leadership was better, they would have passed through the storm, but it was certainly not the smartest statement made by a president of the Habs, I doubt Boivin would have put his team in trouble like this..
It was the best time to say it, but he had to react. He thinks right but should not say it out loud.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Kriss E

I'd love to have a President or Owner come out and insult all the moronic fans, or people with agendas, like the ones protesting.
Say things like ''we bought this team so we can build a winning dynasty again, and if it means having a guy speaking english only, so be it. We will hire the best hockey person available, at every position''.

I don't see why they have to respect fans that aren't really respecting the organization in the first place.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
SouthernHab

Boivin was no hero. He presided over years of Canadiens futility.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Schooner Guy

Geoff Molson scares me. I have a feeling he's been a lot more involved in Habs hockey decisions than we know. I also fear that he still wants playoff revenues.

Many on this board are too young to remember the Reggie Houle era. A return to anything like this would have you begging for the stability and competence that Gainey/Martin brought to us.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Boivin was no hero. He presided over years of Canadiens futility.
Futility??? You must not have been a Habs fan in the mid to late 90's. Although certainly not a championship calibre period, I don't understand how making the playoffs just about every year with a 1st place in the East and a semi-final berth can be considered futility. That's very drama queenish of you.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Gotta tell you, the Habs sucked with bad decisions like Reggie Houle when the Molson's were in charge last time.

Hell I'm an Anglo Quebec'er but I believe in winning way before any language. Maybe the Molson's suffer the same problem a lot of Habs fans do, niceness & getting used to people, screw that purge house!

Boston isn't sending invitations for BBQ-s, that's for sure!

Neither should we....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Skarjak

I had a really bad feeling about Molson firing Boivin. The man was a genius, and he really understood the fans. Plus, owners who get involved with their teams always end up doing more harm than good.

Now he's presiding over a completely disastrous season. I miss Gillette...

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Gillette was good

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
I had a really bad feeling about Molson firing Boivin. The man was a genius, and he really understood the fans. Plus, owners who get involved with their teams always end up doing more harm than good.

I actually kinda miss Gillette, reminded me of a Kid in a Candy Store. Let the pro's run the team & I'll never forget that Quote " We are just custodians of what belongs to Montreal" Great guy too bad he hooked up with Hicks & lost all his cash on Liverpool.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I think it's too soon to judge this guy. Maybe he could've held tighter reign on the GM but the last thing you want is a meddlesome owner.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Futility??? You must not have been a Habs fan in the mid to late 90's. Although certainly not a championship calibre period, I don't understand how making the playoffs just about every year with a 1st place in the East and a semi-final berth can be considered futility. That's very drama queenish of you.
I have been a fan of the Habs for a lot longer than that.

And again, the ugly argument rears its head. "We made the playoffs and eked into the semi-finals once. Its a success".

Sorry, to me, those were just more years that we did not win a Cup.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
who is conney??

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
MathMan

The mistake was not in the handling of the Martin firing, the mistake was having a Martin firing in the first place. And I hope it wasn't his idea, and if it was I hope he learned his lesson and is going to be hands off from now on.

As for undermining Cunneyworth, well, he doesn't need to be undermined. He does that to himself.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:04 PM
larek

Quote:

And again, the ugly argument rears its head. "We made the playoffs and eked into the semi-finals once. Its a success".

lol-- if that was good enough i wouldnt be a hab fan !!! i would be a fan of some other cardboard cutout team!!!

Old
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post

Again, its way, WAY to early to judge Molson. First of all, you have an involved ownership in Detroit (Ilitch family) and Boston (Jacobs family) which hasn't seemed to deter success. I'll wait to judge Molson on accusations of meddling when he actually puts his mark on the team. He has a team he inherited and hasn't really had time put his mark on it. I'll judge him when he actually hires people.

And for all Boivin did to create a frenzy for the team in Montreal, he wasn't exactly great at improving the on ice product.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:

93 was luck in a sense that the better teams were knocked out by others, But Montreal still beat Gretzky & LA with guys like Muller, geeze Leeman & Di Pieto, Desjardins, the lunch bucket team. The Habs 2 years ago might have made it & Halak tried his best St-Patrick, the ship has sailed. Unfortunate they didn't mix the vets-futures-toughness cocktail.

Time to re-build.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
larek

[QUOTE=Captain Smurf;42823427]Again, its way, WAY to early to judge Molson. First of all, you have an involved ownership in Detroit (Ilitch family) and Boston (Jacobs family) which hasn't seemed to deter success. I'll wait to judge Molson on accusations of meddling when he actually puts his mark on the team. He has a team he inherited and hasn't really had time put his mark on it. I'll judge him when he actually hires people.

And for all Boivin did to create a frenzy for the team in Montreal, he wasn't exactly great at improving the on ice product.[/QUO

gillette gave gainey way too much rope but the real problem started when Molsons didnt
come in with a fresh new plan and new management team--- bring some excitement in -
a new flavour to a new beginning-- to keep stale Gainey around to try to rebuild this team an d let him do it in a day (while i believe molsons wasnt officially the owners an agreement was reached before the summer transactions) was the beginning of the troubles we seenow

Old
01-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

[QUOTE=larek;42823731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Again, its way, WAY to early to judge Molson. First of all, you have an involved ownership in Detroit (Ilitch family) and Boston (Jacobs family) which hasn't seemed to deter success. I'll wait to judge Molson on accusations of meddling when he actually puts his mark on the team. He has a team he inherited and hasn't really had time put his mark on it. I'll judge him when he actually hires people.

And for all Boivin did to create a frenzy for the team in Montreal, he wasn't exactly great at improving the on ice product.[/QUO

gillette gave gainey way too much rope but the real problem started when Molsons didnt
come in with a fresh new plan and new management team--- bring some excitement in -
a new flavour to a new beginning-- to keep stale Gainey around to try to rebuild this team an d let him do it in a day (while i believe molsons wasnt officially the owners an agreement was reached before the summer transactions) was the beginning of the troubles we seenow
It worried me that very summer when not only the Molson did not get a new GM but how they gave Bob carte blanche and let him hire the midgets instead of rebuilding.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

[QUOTE=Kimota;42828609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post

It worried me that very summer when not only the Molson did not get a new GM but how they gave Bob carte blanche and let him hire the midgets instead of rebuilding.
08.02.2010 / 4:00 PM darkest day in Habs history..lol

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516790

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Pierre Boivin's lasting legacy

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

Quote:
After some time had passed, and after assuring Gauthier I meant no disrespect with my question, I decided to ask Boivin if any external search had been conducted to find a successor for Gainey.

"The list of individuals who can adequately be general managers in the National Hockey League is not a list that goes on infinitely," Boivin's answer began. "There are very few people in the world that can do this job, and the vast majority of them are under contract and untouchables. When you look at the criteria to be successful in this job in this market, you come to a list of individuals who have experience, who have the ability communicate in both languages, who have a track record and who are prepared to be here. Your list now is down very quickly. It's not a typical hire. You do your homework, you make sure you turn over every rock and you hire the best person available. We were fortunate that person was in our organization already."

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:46 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Geoff Molson scares me. I have a feeling he's been a lot more involved in Habs hockey decisions than we know. I also fear that he still wants playoff revenues.
What scares me about him is he seems to be another owner who tries to make everyone happy. If he ordered the firing of JM and appointed RC as coach, show some god damn confidence in him. Don't apologize to the idiots and undermine your own coach.

You also have to pick one direction to go and put all of your effort into making it happen. What's our identity? Are we playoff contenders? Are we rebuilding? Are we a patchwork of mixed pieces fighting to stay mediocre? Are our young guys coming up (LeBlanc, Kristo, Avtsin, Tinrodi, Beaulieu, Gallahger) that much better then Moen, Gionta, Kostytsin, Gill, Kaberle, Cole? Are we going to be a younger, yet similar team in 5 years?

Maybe his plan is to tank but make it look like he's trying? I hope to god he realizes we're not a playoff team this year and we'll be sellers at the deadline. Not trading our future for more spare parts. (That's assuming he's the one giving Gauthier orders of course)

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:51 AM
habakkuk

Originally Posted by Schooner Guy

I think where the frustration sets in is when the team is regressing rather than progressing.
Even when we were a very poor team but increasing our point totals from year to year there was reason for hope. What is truly depressing is watching our team losing its way and falling in the standings as we have the past couple of years. the question remains is how low will we sink before the team begins to rise again. Kaberle, Gomez, Gill and Gionta are now anchors not eagles.

habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
What about Gainey? Seems like everyone is forgetting that he was the one who built this team. PG has done a terrible job too but it's not like he built the team.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote