HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Preds & Wings interested in Hemsky

Old
01-21-2012, 12:24 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
True this could always happen. Honestly I like Hemsky with the Oil. Never will forget his performance against DRW in the 05-06 playoffs. I hope he does sign back there, gets healthy and is a life long oiler. Fun player to watch when he is healthy and on his game.
I like him too. I hope we can trade him to Nashville for Ryan Ellis and then re-sign him in the off season. Muwahahahahahaha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:24 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Would the wings move Brendan Smith for Hemsky?!
No chance in hell.
I don't think the Wings would move Kindl, either.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I like him too. I hope we can trade him to Nashville for Ryan Ellis and then re-sign him in the off season. Muwahahahahahaha.
Zero chance that Poile moves Ellis for a pure rental.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:31 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Zero chance that Poile moves Ellis for a pure rental.
I wouldn't be so sure. It has been speculated that Poile needs to make a big move to get Suter to re-sign. If the deadline is near and the only big move out there for him is Hemsky for Ellis, he might do it if he thought it meant getting Suter wrapped up.
Suter extended & rental Hemsky > Ellis

Old
01-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. It has been speculated that Poile needs to make a big move to get Suter to re-sign. If the deadline is near and the only big move out there for him is Hemsky for Ellis, he might do it if he thought it meant getting Suter wrapped up.
Yeah and then what happens when he makes that trade, we lose in the 1st round, Suter doesn't sign, then Weber walks and we have no Ellis either.

That would be an incredibly stupid move to make

Old
01-21-2012, 12:38 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Yeah and then what happens when he makes that trade, we lose in the 1st round, Suter doesn't sign, then Weber walks and we have no Ellis either.

That would be an incredibly stupid move to make
Obviously none of us knows if it happens or not, but to act like there is zero chance of Ellis being moved for offensive help, even if it is a rental is pretty foolish. It wouldn't be the first time Poile took a gamble on a deadline deal either. See Forsberg, Peter and Grebeshkov, Denis.

To answer your question though, after Poile trades Ellis to Edmonton, Hemsky re-signs in Edmonton, and Suter signs in Edmonton this summer, Edmonton makes the playoffs next year, and entice Weber to come to town. We then win the cup while you guys decide best how to blow up Oilers head office over the ****** we have given you. Then I wake up.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:38 AM
rusty890

Quote:
Don't you think that Suter re-signing with Nashville would be dependent on Hemsky re-signing with Nashville? I don't think that Poile trading away Nashville's future for rentals would be very appealing to Suter. If Suter is going to spend several more years in Nashville he is going to want to see that they have a future.

rusty890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Suter should also realize that he would be committing long term, and, long term, Ellis is more important to "improving" this team than Hemsky. Sorry, I just dont see that happening.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Obviously none of us knows if it happens or not, but to act like there is zero chance of Ellis being moved for offensive help, even if it is a rental is pretty foolish. It wouldn't be the first time Poile took a gamble on a deadline deal either. See Forsberg, Peter and Grebeshkov, Denis.
Which top tier prospect was traded for either of those? Parent certainly wasn't near the level of Ellis, and you're seriously reaching for Grebs, he went for a 2nd...

I don't doubt Poile might give up some sort of package for Hemsky, but it wont include anything on the level of Ellis.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:44 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
dear detroit fans:

would you trade us holmstrom for plante or barker? sutton? and our third round pick?

what makes us think we can throw our junk at you and acquire one of your top 6 forwards?

look in the mirror, is this what you see?

detroit fans: take our junk and useless 50th overall draft pick
other teams: sure, here have our top 6 forward

DURRR.. Timmmmyyy!
You're the team trying to dump a bad apple.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:44 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Which top tier prospect was traded for either of those? Parent certainly wasn't near the level of Ellis, and you're seriously reaching for Grebs, he went for a 2nd...
I see your point in not moving a top tier guy. But you still can't totally write it off. And Grebeshkov for a 2nd was a bad deal. Grebs was overpaid, due for a raise, and the KHL was poaching any Russian NHL caliber free agents at over our costs. Plus he was having a bad year and only had one good year in the NHL.

Sorry to get off track. I'm not saying its likely, but it certainly is possible that Poile trades Ellis for offense, and if Hemsky is the best guy available to Nashville, then that could be Hemsky. Whether that goes down in history as a good move or bad is inconsequential.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:46 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Suter should also realize that he would be committing long term, and, long term, Ellis is more important to "improving" this team than Hemsky. Sorry, I just dont see that happening.
Long term, Ellis will be a better value than Hemsky as a rental, that's a given. But if "long term" was good enough, don't you think Suter would have re-signed after Poile locked up Rinne? Obviously none of knows what Suter's criteria are, but its possible that making a move for a rental to fill a hole shows Suter that Poile is willing to make the moves needed to win now. And winning now is better than maybe winning in 5 years.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:48 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
You're the team trying to dump a bad apple.
We're not dumping anyone. And we aren't talking about a bad apple. We're talking about a top six playmaker who your team apparently has interest in. If he was a bad apple, I doubt Detroit would be interested at all, they don't usually go after bad apples, do they.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
I see your point in not moving a top tier guy. But you still can't totally write it off. And Grebeshkov for a 2nd was a bad deal. Grebs was overpaid, due for a raise, and the KHL was poaching any Russian NHL caliber free agents at over our costs. Plus he was having a bad year and only had one good year in the NHL.

Sorry to get off track. I'm not saying its likely, but it certainly is possible that Poile trades Ellis for offense, and if Hemsky is the best guy available to Nashville, then that could be Hemsky. Whether that goes down in history as a good move or bad is inconsequential.
Actually the 2nd for Grebeshkov was a great move he played great for us, until he blew his balls out. Nobody could have foreseen that happening.

I really don't see us trading our best prospects for someone like Hemsky. A lesser prospect and a pick, sure, but I can't see a blue chipper getting dealt for an injury prone rental.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
PresidentCamacho*

I really doubt Hemsky re-signs with the Oilers, IMO.

Edmonton would be wise to look for some blue-line support in exchange for him.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:50 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
We're not dumping anyone. And we aren't talking about a bad apple. We're talking about a top six playmaker who your team apparently has interest in. If he was a bad apple, I doubt Detroit would be interested at all, they don't usually go after bad apples, do they.
LOL
Then why is he on the block.
Why were there a panel of hockey journalists (guys who talk to coaches and GMs and players) who were that Hemsky needs to be moved because the Oilers' brass don't want them seeing Hemsky's lazy work ethic.

Hemsky is on the way out.
The Oil will get a second and a second tier prospect.
Book it.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:50 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty890 View Post
Don't you think that Suter re-signing with Nashville would be dependent on Hemsky re-signing with Nashville? I don't think that Poile trading away Nashville's future for rentals would be very appealing to Suter. If Suter is going to spend several more years in Nashville he is going to want to see that they have a future.
He also may want to see Poile make an effort to bringing in some forwards who can actually help the offense. Keeping all of Nashville's d-men could certainly give the impression that things are plugging along at the same clip. For the record, the only way I could really see this happening is if Poile got to talk extension with Hemsky before the trade and came to terms. Otherwise, I agree that its a longshot at best. But one I can hope for as an Oiler fan.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:54 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
LOL
Why were there a panel of hockey journalists (guys who talk to coaches and GMs and players) who were that Hemsky needs to be moved because the Oilers' brass don't want them seeing Hemsky's lazy work ethic.

Hemsky is on the way out.
The Oil will get a second and a second tier prospect.
Book it.
He's on the block because he is a UFA. Reports are also out there stating that the Oilers are also re-negotiating with him for an extension. Sounds like they want to get rid of him to me.

Hemsky is only on the way out if 1) the Oilers can't get a deal done with him (ie, he wants too much money), or 2) they get an offer that blows them away. I don't expect Hemsky's agent has much to use for leverage in terms of getting a huge raise, so the Oil may just sign Hemsky. The 2nd and a second tier prospect will only get done if Hemsky tells Edmonton management to stick it, which probably won't happen because he likes Edmonton and apparently his gf doesn't want to leave here. There's nothing to "book" here, nobody knows how this turns out. But bet that if Detroit is going to get Hemsky, their first and a Ferraro type prospect, or a guy like Kindl and a later pick will be the return.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:57 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Long term, Ellis will be a better value than Hemsky as a rental, that's a given. But if "long term" was good enough, don't you think Suter would have re-signed after Poile locked up Rinne? Obviously none of knows what Suter's criteria are, but its possible that making a move for a rental to fill a hole shows Suter that Poile is willing to make the moves needed to win now. And winning now is better than maybe winning in 5 years.
If Poile thought trading Hemsky would convince Suter to stay then he would drive Ellis to the airport tonight. I think most fans are thinking logically that Hemsky isn't that guy. Would he be nice to have? Yes. Is he the player that's going to take this franchise to the next level? Even if he re-signed for multiple years? No

Ellis or Josi aren't going anywhere for any rental not named Parise and that's not likely to happen.

There is a very very slight chance that if Poile loses his mind and becomes desperate he might trade Blum but it's still a long shot.

Summary: I don't think acquiring Hemsky is going to convince Suter or Weber of anything and Poile sure isn't going to trade one of the players he is going to have to lean on if one of those two leave. That wouldn't be very smart.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:57 AM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Are you saying we should trade Hemsky for a late 2nd rounder (basically a 3rd if he helps a team win the cup) and a "meh" prospect who probably won't even stick in the NHL, so that we can be an even worse team next year and therefore OUR picks will be higher? And that we're being greedy because we don't want that? ROFL...I like you. You're funny.
No. I am saying that you can get a very good player at 60 in the draft, and that if you lose Hemsky this year and get a mid level prospect and a 2nd, that this year, your team may lose a couple more games. Or are the oilers making a push for the playoffs and thats why they would be selling Hemsky. Also, I think most fans think they can get a lot more in return for their players, when they might not.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:59 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
No. I am saying that you can get a very good player at 60 in the draft, and that if you lose Hemsky this year and get a mid level prospect and a 2nd, that this year, your team may lose a couple more games. Or are the oilers making a push for the playoffs and thats why they would be selling Hemsky. Also, I think most fans think they can get a lot more in return for their players, when they might not.
Every fanbase in this thread (and on HF in general) are guilty of this.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
LOL
You understand there are many reasons for trading a player, right? It's not always (and most often isn't) about trying to get rid of a player.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Broom of the System

If Ellis is made available, I'd like to think we could do better than Hemsky. Package him to bring in a longer term asset that doesn't have the injury problems of a guy like Hemsky.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:28 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
If Ellis is made available, I'd like to think we could do better than Hemsky. Package him to bring in a longer term asset that doesn't have the injury problems of a guy like Hemsky.
That's a possibility too. It depends on if a player like that is available though.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:29 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
If Hemsky is traded it will likely be for a 1st rounder+. It happens at the trade deadline every year, someone will overpay, or Hemsky wont move. That being said, I'd be shocked if he ends up as a Pred. Poile is notoriously cautious and frugal in the trade market and I don't believe he'll pony up the necessary cost.
I agree about what you're saying about Hemsky fetching a 1st rounder+ and that teams tend to overpay at the deadline which is a fact that seems to be lost among a lot of non-Oiler fans who ridiculously seem to think that Tambellini will trade Hemsky for a 2nd+.

However, didn't Poile give up a 1st rounder for Fisher at the deadline last year? He might be generally cautious in making trades but it's not like it's unprecedented for him plus there seems to be some pressure in Nashville to make it deep in the playoffs to try to entice Weber and/or Suter to re-sign so i can easily see Nashville being the team to pony up for Hemsky to give them some offensive punch.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote