HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carkner

Old
01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
DLJB

vCash: 500
Matt Carkner

After watching last night's game and holding my breath for the entire Giroux fight, I got to thinking. Why the hell did no one drop the gloves to open up the 3rd? I get what Giroux did, but come on.....Someone had to respond. Shelley, Hartnell, Bourdon, anyone???

With our obvious need for a GOOD stay at home D, why not go after a guy like Matt Carkner. He will drop the gloves with any one in the league, will take care of his peers and he is a solid 3rd pairing Defensive D. He shouldn't cost much to get and he has a nice cap hit (700k). This would even allow for us to get another D to help out.

Timmonen - Coburn
Carle - (Gleason?)
Mes - Carkner

Bourdon/Gus

Thoughts?

DLJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

ya, i'd take him

but i don't see OTT trading him to us or him becoming a free agent July 1st. but if he does, he'll get way overpaid

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Kaktus*

Rather take Sutton.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
WeekendAtBernies

no.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
After watching last night's game and holding my breath for the entire Giroux fight, I got to thinking. Why the hell did no one drop the gloves to open up the 3rd?
The Flyers were dead, the crowd was asleep, and the game was in decent control. If you're the Islanders, why would you want to change any of that with a fight?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
no.
why not?

He's the only true heavyweight in the NHL that can actually take a regular shift. I'd welcome Carkner on this team any day

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
facts

no carkner is awful, shelley awful. I was disappointed that nobody 1. jumped in or 2. followed it up. I wasn't expecting Shelley to because there wasnt anybody on their team for him to go with. But Simmonds, Hartnell where the hell were they. I can tell you this though, the kid who went at G, that was a disrespect for a superior player and that is how the flyers should have handled it. Tavares would have gotten it from somebody, that is what pisses me off. What message is that sending, especially against the isles just after the Talbot garbage? It s ok to go after our franchise player because he will do his own work and fight his own battles. I repect G and his competative nature but that was not good.The message must be sent touch G and pay.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

no on Carkner.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
DLJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
no carkner is awful, shelley awful. I was disappointed that nobody 1. jumped in or 2. followed it up. I wasn't expecting Shelley to because there wasnt anybody on their team for him to go with. But Simmonds, Hartnell where the hell were they. I can tell you this though, the kid who went at G, that was a disrespect for a superior player and that is how the flyers should have handled it. Tavares would have gotten it from somebody, that is what pisses me off. What message is that sending, especially against the isles just after the Talbot garbage? It s ok to go after our franchise player because he will do his own work and fight his own battles. I repect G and his competative nature but that was not good.The message must be sent touch G and pay.
You have got to be kidding me. Comparing Carkner to Shelley? Wow. I live in Ottawa and I get to see a lot of Sens games. Carkner is by no means comparable to Shelley. He would be ideal as a 5-6 Defensman in Philly. Come on now....Shelley?

DLJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Flyers were dead, the crowd was asleep, and the game was in decent control. If you're the Islanders, why would you want to change any of that with a fight?

You make somebody fight?

Its really not that hard. You slash enough guys and somebody is gonna wanna fight. If somebody took an obvious run at Tavares then I guarrantee you you're gonna be in a fight. This team is too disciplined sometimes.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
You make somebody fight?

Its really not that hard. You slash enough guys and somebody is gonna wanna fight. If somebody took an obvious run at Tavares then I guarrantee you you're gonna be in a fight. This team is too disciplined sometimes.
Must be a frigid day in hell

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:13 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Must be a frigid day in hell

Well too disciplined when it comes to this stuff. Our problem is stick infractions like all the time.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Go For It

Quote:
You make somebody fight?

Really? Yeah, let's start slashing everyone and giving the Islanders ample PP's. We might lose the game, but who cares as long as we get another fight!

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:11 PM
TheShaneTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Really? Yeah, let's start slashing everyone and giving the Islanders ample PP's. We might lose the game, but who cares as long as we get another fight!
as i stated in another thread, its not just about the fight. some people on here assume just because someone is calling for a fight to happen that they're bloodthirsty and just want to see a damn fight.

that's what mma is for, not hockey.

however getting the other teams attention, sending a message that an ahl callup shouldn't be allowed to engage with one of the five or so best players in the league, is rather important. the fact that every player on that team sat back and accepted defeat is in itself unacceptable and needs to change soon.

btw who gives a damn if the crowd isn't into it. the crowd volume is a result of the product on the ice, not the other way around. i have a feeling a few huge hits/a fight or two would've woken them up pretty quick.

TheShaneTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:16 PM
TheShaneTrain

keeping things on topic,

carkner would be a pretty decent 5-6 guy. he's miles ahead of shelley in the "useful in any regard" category and should come relatively cheap.

at this point, a tackling dummy in a jeff carter jersey would be an improvement over lilja

TheShaneTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
mirimon

I don't think Ottawa will look to move Carkner. If we're desperate for a physical 6th dman who can drop the gloves at times, maybe Brookbank from Anaheim?

I'd rather not use any picks to get a player like that though. Bourdon and Gustafsson are holding up well enough as it is.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You make somebody fight?

The score is 7-1 at that point since you took 100 slashing penalties.

The other guy has to want to fight. Last time I saw a guy get in a one-man fight, he put the other team on a 9-minute power play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
The other guy has to want to fight. Last time I saw a guy get in a one-man fight, he put the other team on a 9-minute power play.
He really beat the hell out of him though!

Shame about those three PP goals against though.

01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
flyerfanish

Quote:

Carcillo vs washington?

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
boodangleroo28

when people on here are calling for a "fight" or for someone to stand up against a hit (talbot, or simmonds) they are referring to showing some damn emotion, i dont understand how so many people here think people just want bloodshed and a fight. We want our players to show some balls, show they care and show some emotion. I as a fan used to get so charged up seeing richards fight, just as i did when claude fought last night. We have been playing with no emotion this year. no arguing that fact.

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
when people on here are calling for a "fight" or for someone to stand up against a hit (talbot, or simmonds) they are referring to showing some damn emotion, i dont understand how so many people here think people just want bloodshed and a fight. We want our players to show some balls, show they care and show some emotion. I as a fan used to get so charged up seeing richards fight, just as i did when claude fought last night. We have been playing with no emotion this year. no arguing that fact.
It's not even the all-star break yet. It's a long season. Closer to playoff time and against rivals, you'll see the emotion.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
After watching last night's game and holding my breath for the entire Giroux fight, I got to thinking. Why the hell did no one drop the gloves to open up the 3rd? I get what Giroux did, but come on.....Someone had to respond. Shelley, Hartnell, Bourdon, anyone???

With our obvious need for a GOOD stay at home D, why not go after a guy like Matt Carkner. He will drop the gloves with any one in the league, will take care of his peers and he is a solid 3rd pairing Defensive D. He shouldn't cost much to get and he has a nice cap hit (700k). This would even allow for us to get another D to help out.

Timmonen - Coburn
Carle - (Gleason?)
Mes - Carkner

Bourdon/Gus

Thoughts?
Giroux took care of himself, so why the hell WOULD someone drop the gloves to open the third?!

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:09 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Don't want Carkner @ all.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:21 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Quote:

Yeahhhh game was already lost by that point chiefs. 4-1 and 7-1 don't make that much of a ****in difference. somethimes message need to be sent. If you're not going to win send a message, I'm old school like that. When the game is already lost don't bring ****in penalties into this. Sometimes you need to man up and do something.

Old
01-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Yeahhhh game was already lost by that point chiefs. 4-1 and 7-1 don't make that much of a ****in difference. somethimes message need to be sent. If you're not going to win send a message, I'm old school like that. When the game is already lost don't bring ****in penalties into this. Sometimes you need to man up and do something.
Because that's worked so well the past 35 years.

At the beginning of the 3rd, it was 2-1 or 3-1. Game isn't over yet.