HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Do you think that our first and our 2 seconds will be enough to draft Jordan Subban in 2013, same play style, but PK admitted that Jordan is going to be better than him. Picture a line of 2 subbans!!
This is said about brothers all the time though.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jordan, like him a lot, and he'll be drafted higher than PK was. But I'm not 100% sure he'll be better.

I'd love to draft him though, I absolutely do want him.

I'm just cautious when PK says, "my brother is better than me" because I heard the same thing from Pavel Bure about Valeri Bure when the Habs drafted him... at 16, we used to hear that Jared Staal would be the best Staal brother. Its been a bit of a common theme over the years with brothers.

Old
01-20-2012, 01:59 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
This is said about brothers all the time though.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jordan, like him a lot, and he'll be drafted higher than PK was. But I'm not 100% sure he'll be better.

I'd love to draft him though, I absolutely do want him.

I'm just cautious when PK says, "my brother is better than me" because I heard the same thing from Pavel Bure about Valeri Bure when the Habs drafted him... at 16, we used to hear that Jared Staal would be the best Staal brother. Its been a bit of a common theme over the years with brothers.
To be fair, Jordan does have more points in less games than PK did at the same age. I don't know about the difference in team quality though.

Malcolm looks like he's bounced back big time from a mediocre U-18 last year.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
To be fair, Jordan does have more points in less games than PK did at the same age. I don't know about the difference in team quality though.

Lets also remember that Subban's really took off post draft, his learning curve after being drafted was through the roof. I credit this to two the fact that PK is so focused on improvement and willing to work so hard at it.

If his brother has the same work ethic, that would be fantastic. But there are very few who match the drive that PK has to succeed, and thats a huge thing for him. This isn't a knock on Jordan or anyone else, but rather praise for PK who is extraordinary in this aspect.

I'd love to get all three brothers, like Belleville has done, but until they prove it, I'm not sure PK won't end up the best of the three. I'd rather have them as Habs though for sure.

Even if they aren't as good as PK, I still think they'll be very, very good NHLers and I'd love to have them.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Next years draft has Seth Jones as well as Jordan Subban those two would come into play in 2015 just about perfect timing for a run at the Stanley Cup.I really like that the Habs are finally getting returns on their veterans when they leave,like Cammalleri paid off.The team is seriously getting the players they need instead of worrying about what image is being portrayed.Winning is what is important to the fans not mediocrity for almost two decades.Go Pierre Go!

Old
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Andrew Ryan looks like a strong mid-round sleeper pick.

Thomas Wilson is extremely high on my 'do want' for the 2nd round. Size, talent, grit and a Whaler*. That package is rarely a miss.

Would take a late pick flyer on either Bilcke or Payne.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:36 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I've been hearing Ryan's name a whole lot. What makes him so special? I haven't had the chance to catch him during Moose games.

Also Wilson was projected as a late 1st for a while now. Definitely should be a late 1st.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I've been hearing Ryan's name a whole lot. What makes him so special? I haven't had the chance to catch him during Moose games.

Also Wilson was projected as a late 1st for a while now. Definitely should be a late 1st.
Ryan is one of those boom-or-bust players. Big player, some offensive potential and a lot of room to fill his frame (he's at 6'2, 170 iirc). One of those guys that can just explode from next season on and become a strong addition as a complementary player in an NHL team.

If Wilson is a late first, I'd deal 2 seconds to move back into the 1st to grab him, because he's got that James Neal feeling about him.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Ryan is one of those boom-or-bust players. Big player, some offensive potential and a lot of room to fill his frame (he's at 6'2, 170 iirc). One of those guys that can just explode from next season on and become a strong addition as a complementary player in an NHL team.

If Wilson is a late first, I'd deal 2 seconds to move back into the 1st to grab him, because he's got that James Neal feeling about him.
Really? I've read some scouts saying he's more of a prototypical PFW as opposed to a sniping sniper like Neal. Wouldn't be opposed to that result though.

Interesting about Ryan. I'll try to catch a few games again.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Really? I've read some scouts saying he's more of a prototypical PFW as opposed to a sniping sniper like Neal. Wouldn't be opposed to that result though.

Interesting about Ryan. I'll try to catch a few games again.
James Neal is a powerforward? Not much of a fighter, but a big body that bangs and can produce on offense.

I didn't mean he'd be like Neal though, I meant like Neal was an early second that came into his own later and became a very good top 6 gritty winger. Plus he was a Whaler.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would Gauthier need "balls" to become a seller? It's the logical moves at this point.
A GM who wants to save his ass can dangerous.. Especially if he is GM of the Habs and doesnt accept mediocrity..

Old
01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
A GM who wants to save his ass can dangerous.. Especially if he is GM of the Habs and doesnt accept mediocrity..
He does accept mediocrity. The whole organization breeds mediocrity.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
James Neal is a powerforward? Not much of a fighter, but a big body that bangs and can produce on offense.

I didn't mean he'd be like Neal though, I meant like Neal was an early second that came into his own later and became a very good top 6 gritty winger. Plus he was a Whaler.
I thought you meant he played like Neal, but it seems that you mean their situations are similar.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
I'd like it if we drafted Matteau this year. Matteau is big and mean, and has soft hands. He's going to play in the Q next year (with his father coaching), but he has trained all year with the US system.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:29 PM
BK201

I hope you guys realize last year they said this years draft will be deeper than last years and this next years draft will be deeper.... And when next year comes, the next year will be said to be deeper..

It's a cycle that doesn't break.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I hope you guys realize last year they said this years draft will be deeper than last years and this next years draft will be deeper.... And when next year comes, the next year will be said to be deeper..

Well Mackinnon is putting up near identical numbers to Grigorenko. I don't know who's playing on the better team, with the better linemates though.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:39 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Well Mackinnon is putting up near identical numbers to Grigorenko. I don't know who's playing on the better team, with the better linemates though.
Yeah they are both great players I just mean I don't really think they are getting deeper.

This draft seems like there are more quality players in the first round but later rounds seems like a wash tbh, even then too unsure to really tell for the next 3 years.

Either way Montreal should be able to draft a pretty sweet prospect. It's getting more evident to me that they need a big skilled centre. Grigorenko would be awesome to get.

Old
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

No, it's not.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He does accept mediocrity. The whole organization breeds mediocrity.
I've only managed to get to 1 Mooseheads game so far this year and am wondering what you think about Andrew Ryan? I'm also rooting for G - Brandon Whitney of Victo to get drafted high as he's from the Valley and I work close to where he was born.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:02 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
No, it's not.
I'm not saying the drafts are getting better I'm saying every year the next draft is suppose to be deeper and it never really is.

Last year every one said this year will be the deepest draft since 2003 and now this year people are saying next year.

Well let me tell you next year people will say the next tears draft will be deeper. Will it actually, probably not.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
I'm not saying the drafts are getting better I'm saying every year the next draft is suppose to be deeper and it never really is.

Last year every one said this year will be the deepest draft since 2003 and now this year people are saying next year.

Well let me tell you next year people will say the next tears draft will be deeper. Will it actually, probably not.
This year is still deeper in the first 2 rounds. Next year, the top end talent (lottery picks) is a little higher, but it's not as deep (later in the round).

Old
01-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
This year is still deeper in the first 2 rounds. Next year, the top end talent (lottery picks) is a little higher, but it's not as deep (later in the round).
This year is not deeper than last year in the first 2 rounds.

The top 6-7 picks are pretty solid, but there's a massive dropoff afterwards. After the mid-second round, the dropoff is significant.

Last year was filled with 1st round talent well into the second round.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I didn't say anything about last year. Why are you bringing that up?

Old
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I didn't say anything about last year. Why are you bringing that up?
I don't think I've quite woken up yet.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:49 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
It's the other way around. It's very good year to finish with a top2 pick (Yakupov and Grigorenko), an average year for top 10 and an under-average year for the rest of the top60. '12 is not as deep as expected, lots a good Dmen though. I don't know much about '13, but if Timmins says it's deeper, I believe him.

Quote:

I understood you the first time and like I said, no it's not. The '10 and 11' drafts were both said to be very thin and that's why so many 1st round picks were traded last year. And I'm pretty sure the scouts didn't think the '04 draft was deeper than '03 draft.

Old
01-21-2012, 11:05 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

@Em, that's okay

@bcv, really? It's not deep... but oh wait, lots of good D. The idea of a deep 1st round is that even a low 1st has a good chance at being a high potential prospect. Namely the defensemen in the draft.

On another note, the scouts are probably getting bored because all of the 1st rounders have been injured like never before

Closed Thread