HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeffrey Cashes In|By Michelle Crechiolo

Old
01-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Jeffrey Cashes In|By Michelle Crechiolo

He deserves his own thread for his play since he came back. He has lessened the impact of Sid & Jordan being out. Jeffrey maybe a bit rusty/ rough around the edges, but that is to be expected coming back after missing all that time.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Quote:
Dustin Jeffrey produced his first career three-point night, scoring twice (one shorthanded) and adding an assist, to help the Penguins top the Canadiens, 5-4, in a shootout at CONSOL Energy Center.

Great to have him back, add your thoughts.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

My opinion of Tangradi suddenly changed after watching DJ's game. When the detractors were saying Tangradi needed a big game, I'm pretty what DJ did is what they were talking about.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It took him a while to get going, but that's expected coming off the knee injury. You could actually see him getting better and better the past few games and then he exploded with a 3 point night. You could kind of see it coming. I wouldn't have predicted 3 points, but I thought he was getting real close to producing some offense for the team. Hopefully he can keep it going now.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:09 AM
JTG

Fantastic game by him. He was so noticeable. I think the guy has a very well rounded skillset. He's good at everything, not great at anything.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:15 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Fantastic game by him. He was so noticeable. I think the guy has a very well rounded skillset. He's good at everything, not great at anything.
You're right, he's a player that you can plug anywhere into the line up. He can play wing or center on any line and he's great on the PK. He can also play on your second PP if needed.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
My opinion of Tangradi suddenly changed after watching DJ's game. When the detractors were saying Tangradi needed a big game, I'm pretty what DJ did is what they were talking about.
he could have done way less than that and it would have seemed like a big game. He's done nothing basically.

On Topic: I love Jeffrey.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I missed the game. I'm happy he scored, finally. Now, lets go trade for Kulemin!

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
he could have done way less than that and it would have seemed like a big game. He's done nothing basically.

On Topic: I love Jeffrey.
I agree with that assessment. He did have one and all that was missing was a point either a goal or assist though. That would have made his good game into a great game.

All hail J!

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

I just don't get why people have to put Tangradi down to build up Jeffrey. As both of these guys develop, they can bring something to the table to help this team for quite some time. It isn't an either or situation...

It is a real shame this team has such ****** fwd prospects, because if most people weren't looking at Tangradi to be the top 6 savior (he hath come!!), the patience around here wouldn't be so thin and desperate.

Tangradi's situation is starting to remind me of Naslund's situation, in the same sense that people wanted to run him out of town - then they got their wish and low and behold. So many Pen fans back then were down on Naslund to the point of nausea... I can only imagine if they had HFboards back then... he had something like 10 points in his first 70+ games and really struggled... and he was getting way more ice time than Tangradi with much more talented players.

It was the same with Glenn Murray... I remember how frustrating he was, but you could see the potential... most Pens fans wanted to get rid of him and when he got moved to the Kings, he blew it up the next season.

When will people learn that not every prospect jumps into the league and does well their first few seasons... it takes several years in the NHL for many, before they reach their potential. I keep having to type this out over and over and over.... but it just doesn't register with many people.

Back on topic, I still believe as I said last year, that Jeffrey can make Staal expendable and is an ideal third line pivot. He obviously has to show he can do this consistently though.... but if he can stay consistent, I wouldn't be shocked to see one of Staal or Jeffrey moved for a nice asset.

The flipside is that Jeffrey can play wing and may get a shot with Malkin... Just as I said before, I doubt he is a top 6 guy. But he continues to prove me wrong every time I doubt him, so who knows where his ceiling is.

He has been one of the hardest prospects for me to ever judge because he just never seems to tap out his potential...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I just don't get why people have to put Tangradi down to build up Jeffrey. As both of these guys develop, they can bring something to the table to help this team for quite some time. It isn't an either or situation...

It is a real shame this team has such ****** fwd prospects, because if most people weren't looking at Tangradi to be the top 6 savior (he hath come!!), the patience around here wouldn't be so thin and desperate.

Tangradi's situation is starting to remind me of Naslund's situation, in the same sense that people wanted to run him out of town - then they got their wish and low and behold. So many Pen fans back then were down on Naslund to the point of nausea... I can only imagine if they had HFboards back then... he had something like 10 points in his first 70+ games and really struggled... and he was getting way more ice time than Tangradi with much more talented players.

It was the same with Glenn Murray... I remember how frustrating he was, but you could see the potential... most Pens fans wanted to get rid of him and when he got moved to the Kings, he blew it up the next season.

When will people learn that not every prospect jumps into the league and does well their first few seasons... it takes several years in the NHL for many, before they reach their potential. I keep having to type this out over and over and over.... but it just doesn't register with many people.
The reason is because Jeffrey came in and did exactly what Tangradi hasn't -- show that he is good enough to play on a good NHL team. I understand that Tangradi has barely scratched the surface of being an NHL player, but if he doesn't step up its going to be harder and harder for Shero and Bylsma to justify keeping him around as players come back from injuries.

But I think I agree with your main point: lets not make this another Tangradi thread.

Quote:
Back on topic, I still believe as I said last year, that Jeffrey can make Staal expendable and is an ideal third line pivot. He obviously has to show he can do this consistently though.... but if he can stay consistent, I wouldn't be shocked to see one of Staal or Jeffrey moved for a nice asset.

The flipside is that Jeffrey can play wing and may get a shot with Malkin... Just as I said before, I doubt he is a top 6 guy. But he continues to prove me wrong every time I doubt him, so who knows where his ceiling is.

He has been one of the hardest prospects for me to ever judge because he just never seems to tap out his potential...
When Staal gets back -- and with Crosby out -- Jeffrey will get his chance to be that third line center I would think. I don't see him or Staal being moved until we know for sure (as sure as we can) that Crosby is back and staying back.

Old
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Amen. Jeffrey has been gradually EARNING his job on this team since last season. Before he went down with a knee injury last season he was playing some great hockey. He did look rusty when he first game back, but once again he's gradually been regaining his form and picking up where he left off. The kid wants it BAD, and its reflected in his play. Hopefully the Tangradi fanboys will take notice.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
Amen. Jeffrey has been gradually EARNING his job on this team since last season. Before he went down with a knee injury last season he was playing some great hockey. He did look rusty when he first game back, but once again he's gradually been regaining his form and picking up where he left off. The kid wants it BAD, and its reflected in his play. Hopefully the Tangradi fanboys will take notice.
This right here is the key difference I see. Tangradi goes out and plays and looks like he'd like to make the team. Jeffrey goes out and plays and looks like he absolutely will make the team.

To quote a great man, "don't just want it, go out there and ****ing want it!"

Old
01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
This right here is the key difference I see. Tangradi goes out and plays and looks like he'd like to make the team. Jeffrey goes out and plays and looks like he absolutely will make the team.

To quote a great man, "don't just want it, go out there and ****ing want it!"
Exactly! It's a question of complacency in my opinion. Jeffrey has shown none of it, whereas Tangradi hasn't given much of a reason for us to think otherwise. Jeffrey isn't just some flash in the plan call up either. Going all teh way back to his last two seasons in juniors he has shown constant improvement and development in his game. His recovery from this knee injury is just another example of his desire and work rate. He simply wants it BADLY. As a result, he will be rewarded accordingly.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Agree with Jiggy about Tangradi. People need to lighten the **** up and relax about him. I think the argument some were making about him needing more time to develop (the power forward thing), is proving to be correct. It might take another year or so before he's really comfortable out there buy he'll never be comfortable if he doesn't get the minutes. He's getting close to the point where AHL time won't add that much more benefit IMO.

My impression of him is that he's still kind of awkward out there but not for lack of ability. It's part getting stuck with offensive scrubs half the time, part adapting to the speed of the NHL. Things happen a little too quick out there for him but you can see he has a sense for what he needs to do / sometimes you get flashes of what will make him a good player.

I see no reason why with more games this year, power skating over the summer (he's still slower than he needs to be on his feet), and a good camp he wouldn't be deserving of a shot at regular 3rd line minutes next year. Kennedy has certainly proved this year that he shouldn't be guaranteed any spot on the 3rd line. Earn it or play less.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:54 AM
JTG

Quote:

Yeah, it's sort of turning into the HF way. Everyone is put on the same developmental curve, and that's where the expectations come from.

People see Tangradi's age and when he was drafted and don't look at after that happened. The guy had a very, very serious hand injury, and he hasn't been that healthy since. He has a grand total of 27 NHL games. 27. I don't know where someone can get the thought process that a player will develop into an NHL player in 27 games.

I think Tangradi is falling victim to a fanbase who probably built him up to something more than he was, only to be disappointed, and now have much lower opinions of him if they otherwise wouldn't have had such lofty standards.

Dustin Jeffrey is a special player in that it doesn't matter what he faces, he will always prove you wrong. He did it immediately after being drafted. He was drafted late, and only proceeded to come in and be arguably our best player at rookie camp. He then goes back to Jr and rips it up. He gets to WBS, has an OK year for a rookie, and then destroys that league. Anyone ever think that maybe Jeffrey is a little better than people give him credit for?

With prospects, you have to go by a case by case basis, and that doesn't happen. People would rather look at ages and draft positions and then make an expected developmental assumption from there. It's just wrong.

I'm not saying this to stick up for Tangradi. I do think he should have done a little more with the ice time given, and though I would like to see him get a little more time with better players, that thought does go against the hockey rule. Players typically earn their time. If you produce, you play. We saw that with DJ last night. If Tangradi did the same in his limited 4th line duty, the same thing would have happened, but he hasn't done that. That being said, he has the skill to be, at the very least, a good 3rd line player. He needs more than 27 game to develop though.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Agree with Jiggy about Tangradi. People need to lighten the **** up and relax about him. I think the argument some were making about him needing more time to develop (the power forward thing), is proving to be correct. It might take another year or so before he's really comfortable out there buy he'll never be comfortable if he doesn't get the minutes. He's getting close to the point where AHL time won't add that much more benefit IMO.

My impression of him is that he's still kind of awkward out there but not for lack of ability. It's part getting stuck with offensive scrubs half the time, part adapting to the speed of the NHL. Things happen a little too quick out there for him but you can see he has a sense for what he needs to do / sometimes you get flashes of what will make him a good player.

I see no reason why with more games this year, power skating over the summer (he's still slower than he needs to be on his feet), and a good camp he wouldn't be deserving of a shot at regular 3rd line minutes next year. Kennedy has certainly proved this year that he shouldn't be guaranteed any spot on the 3rd line. Earn it or play less.
I believe all of this is probably true. But are we in a position to keep him in the line-up over players who are clearly better than him this year? When Staal and Asham come back that's a decision that will need to be made. God help him if Sid comes back or we bring in a forward at the deadline. Simply put, our best 12-14 forward line-up does not include Eric Tangradi if we are healthy.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Pens1566

The main difference between the two for me is that one is being asked to play a completely different game in Pittsburgh than he was in WBS. You figure out which one that is.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
The main difference between the two for me is that one is being asked to play a completely different game in Pittsburgh than he was in WBS. You figure out which one that is.
So what is the solution? Play Tangradi on the top lines?

Old
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
"Gonna find solution....."

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Bench Sullivan for a game & give it a try. It's not like he has played all that great either.

It's nice to see guys like Jeffrey & Vitale who were late round picks become every day NHL players. With Jeffrey his defense is top notch & has a lot of potential offesnsively as well.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, it's sort of turning into the HF way. Everyone is put on the same developmental curve, and that's where the expectations come from.

I think Tangradi is falling victim to a fanbase who probably built him up to something more than he was, only to be disappointed, and now have much lower opinions of him if they otherwise wouldn't have had such lofty standards.
I remember saying he was the most talented fwd prospect I saw come through the actual farm since the early 90s... and I'm sure some people took that to mean he was going to be another Bobby Ryan. With that said, you have to take into account how poor the fwds on this farm have been for the last 15+ years. I also emphasized over and over he was never going to get you out of your seat with his dangles or be a big goal scorer... I always tried to stress he was going to be a third wheel who cycled the puck well and was an above avg. playmaker.

Some people just don't get that he is never going to be an all-star - it is so ****ing frustrating to read the same stupid comments about him over and over. Just leave the kid alone and let him develop. Honestly... I get so tired of having to defend the guy because so many fans are so impatient.

I keep eluding to this, but if Tangradi is frustrating people on here - wait until they get a load of BB and Kuhn. That is going to be comedic gold...

People better start learning patience, because it isn't getting any better with their other "bluechip" fwd prospects.

Quote:
Dustin Jeffrey is a special player in that it doesn't matter what he faces, he will always prove you wrong. He did it immediately after being drafted. He was drafted late, and only proceeded to come in and be arguably our best player at rookie camp. He then goes back to Jr and rips it up. He gets to WBS, has an OK year for a rookie, and then destroys that league. Anyone ever think that maybe Jeffrey is a little better than people give him credit for?

With prospects, you have to go by a case by case basis, and that doesn't happen. People would rather look at ages and draft positions and then make an expected developmental assumption from there. It's just wrong.
It's funny because I still doubt DJ can be a top 6 guy, but won't rule it out. He reminds me of a poor man's Perry (without the nastiness). He isn't always pretty, but he just finds ways to generate points and make players around him better. DJ is always around the net like a hungry dog looking for table scraps.

He just has that inane sense of knowing where to put himself to generate prime scoring chances (this is a rare talent and it can't be taught).

I just hope people are patient with him as well, because it may take him a year or more also to find some real consistency (but he always proves me wrong so I give up trying to peg him).

Old
01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Oh Jesus, my dyslexia made me read "Jeffrey crashes" so I thought he was hurt, lol.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
I have been trying to explain this for well over a year now...

DJ was never asked to change his game. Tangradi was. I don't agree with it, but that means about as much to Shero/DB as having two left balls.

He made a big commitment and changed his game pretty dramatically from Jr... but it seems the org. doesn't want to show him the same kind of commitment (which basically means patience while he adjusts to the NHL game) - it just seems a little odd to me.

Quote:
Nah... just stop benching him for several shifts in a row and roll him out there on a regular 4th line cycle.

He and Vitale are doing good things on that 4th line. When the team is (ever) healthy again, then he should be sent back to the A, no doubt.

But take advantage of his time up now and at least give the guy regular shifts each game/period. It really isn't that much to ask after the commitment Tangradi has shown this org....

Old
01-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Nah... just stop benching him for several shifts in a row and roll him out there on a regular 4th line cycle.

He and Vitale are doing good things on that 4th line. When the team is (ever) healthy again, then he should be sent back to the A, no doubt.

But take advantage of his time up now and at least give the guy regular shifts each game/period. It really isn't that much to ask after the commitment Tangradi has shown this org....
I think this is the first time we've ever agreed on Tangradi

Now the question is, did he get hurt last game or benched?

Old
01-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think this is the first time we've ever agreed on Tangradi

Now the question is, did he get hurt last game or benched?
My baby daughter was being fussy as hell, so I missed various parts of the game. I saw the replay when he hit the Hab player in front of the net... but I swear I heard Steigy say over my daughter's crying he was back in later on. But I think I saw one shift the entire third...

We know he seems to bench Tangradi for odd reasons - so who knows if he was hurt or benched.