HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jack Johnson or Erik Johnson

Old
01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Les Wynan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
If you didn't notice, I'm not particularly fond of him - I love that the Kings still give him 17 minutes a night at even strength because he's actively handicapping them... 2nd worst in relative corsi, 1st in goals against while on the ice among kings D-men...
Good post. In addition to the ice time, he's also inexplicably facing tougher competition than Willie Mitchell this season. Makes zero sense. IMO that contract is really going to hurt them long-term. Voinov looks to already be a better player, at least at even strength.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Yeah this. They are both decent defensemen but certainly not players you build a team around.
Outside of the already established defencemen, that a team would build around, who are the young defencemen you think have shown enough that they should be built around? Just for the record, the Avs are building their defense around EJ.

People are misconstruing failing to live up to draft expectations with being a bad defenceman. Has EJ lived up to his pre-draft hype of perennial Norris defender? Hell no. Is he still a good defenceman who has shown improvement, and that he is on the path to becoming a very good number one defenceman? On many occasions. There is still A LOT of value in these types of players.

As for whoever it was who said the Avs have better defencemen than Johnson, they simply don't. Johnson started slow and is becoming better and better, while guys like Quincey started great and are becoming worse and worse.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Jack Johnson when he's at his best is better offensively, EJ at his best is better defensively....EJ has been more consistent now and improving his offense so I'd go with EJ.

They both make bonehead moves though but I'm confident EJ as long as he stays healthy and with a good D partner will get back to being a no1.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:46 PM
HelloStephen11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Jack Johnson when he's at his best is better offensively, EJ at his best is better defensively....EJ has been more consistent now and improving his offense so I'd go with EJ.

They both make bonehead moves though but I'm confident EJ as long as he stays healthy and with a good D partner will get back to being a no1.
What do you mean "get back" to being a number one defenseman? When has he ever been a number one defenseman?

During his time on the Blues, he was always entrenched behind Brewer. A fact that I always thought was a major problem in his development.

As for who I'd rather take, I'll also go with EJ. Bigger, younger, better defensively.

But if I'm wanting to rebuild my team around a defenseman, I choose neither.

HelloStephen11 is offline   Reply With Quote