HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Cans 7 p.m. Dancing Queen edition. 1.20.2012

Old
01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...there you have it. fire mcphee. trade ov, backstrom and semin. trade kuznetsov. cut the budget well below the salary cap. build around alzner and carlson and johansson and the two young goalies. be the canes.
they should certainly do a few of those things. fire mcphee. hire a real coach. get rid of the $17M russian cherrypickers worth nowhere near their paycheck. get rid of jokes like green, wideman, schultz, etc. build around backstrom. lulz in advance for those that attack this idea and defend these sad sacks.

at least folks around here are finally calling a spade a spade as far as mojo is concerned. cant believe it took so long for everyone to stop polishing his balls, giving him a free ride. all year long hes been part of the problem, not part of the solution. i like his future and his cap hit means hes not the headache a guy like semin is, but dang hes overrated based on reality, not potential.

the caps are what they are. a team with grossly overpaid and overrated skill players, little to no toughness, little to no ability to play offensive OR defensive hockey in either zone, and extremely inconsistent goaltending. the only way they win a game is getting any positive combination of their transition, PP/PK and goaltending. and thats usually if theyre playing an average or bad team.

the script is so predictable. they'll hold onto a limp 3rd seed by being in the worst division in hockey. they might even squeeze out a series win against some average/weak 6 seed like ottawa or jersey. but god help them in round 2 when they go on the road against a well-built team with skill and toughness. oh my.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:48 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think a good amount of people realized that mojo isn't ready to carry a 2nd line, or even provide consistent support. Well not gmgm. And you know his response.

Mojo and the second line needs semin in god mode or scoring from other lines in order to prevent being called a failure.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I think a good amount of people realized that mojo isn't ready to carry a 2nd line, or even provide consistent support.
I don't see that as definitely being the case. This team is completely awful offensively right now. I don't care who you slot in Johansson's spot this team is still going to be terrible offensively because of the way they are asked to play.

This team is asked to focus almost 100% on defense and even when they have the puck unless it is an obvious opportunity the first, second, and third thought is where to put the puck so they can most effectively play defense again. They rely completely on mistakes from the other team and rare PP opportunities for offense. That anyone is struggling to produce under these marching orders should be a surprise to nobody.

That being said if you are building a team long term to play this style you never draft players like Johansson, Kuznetsov, or Semin as those types of players are puck possessors and not puck regainers and need the puck to really be effective.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I think a good amount of people realized that mojo isn't ready to carry a 2nd line, or even provide consistent support. Well not gmgm. And you know his response.

Mojo and the second line needs semin in god mode or scoring from other lines in order to prevent being called a failure.

Of course he can't carry a 2nd line, he's 21.
It's GMGM's job to give him decent bodies to work with and help develop him.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

This game emphasized how weak we are in the middle. We needed a real 2C before Backs went down, and now we see the results of 3rd line C's playing 1 and 2 slots...

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:58 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...there you have it. fire mcphee. trade ov, backstrom and semin. trade kuznetsov. cut the budget well below the salary cap. build around alzner and carlson and johansson and the two young goalies. be the canes.

Please review my statement, I talk about effort, not trades.

Last edited by mrwarden: 01-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:58 AM
G3 LesPaul

Nothing will change with this team unless a trade is made and we will not go far in the playoffs with this lineup

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
This game emphasized how weak we are in the middle. We needed a real 2C before Backs went down, and now we see the results of 3rd line C's playing 1 and 2 slots...

This is the truth.

Mojo might well be good enough for 2C one day--but not today, of course--and maybe never. Other than Backstrom, the Caps have no legit centers.

Imagine winning with one C.

McPhee is an ignoramus.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Why did we draft MP - to be a scoring center. He is our depth at scoring center, and is our best instant offense option. I say roll the dice and promote him for a game.

Ovi MP Semin
Chimera MJ Brow
Eakin Laich Ward
Hendricks Halpern Knuble

In between drinks I realized that our breakout needs a lot more work. The passes and chips are not getting it done other than to relieve pressure for a few seconds. Getting better there will help our feeble offense.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Nothing will change with this team unless a trade is made and we will not go far in the playoffs with this lineup

Right, because we went far in the playoffs before...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Right, because we went far in the playoffs before...
Which is why I said make a trade?

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
I am just curious where in my statement did I say make trades or start from scratch?

Please review my statement, I talk about effort, not trades.
well...you didnt say that. you did, however, longingly look back at the david poile era caps who played very hard or lost. they never won on skill. they never won a cup either because when it mattered they were short on skill. the poile caps are now the poile preditors.

we always wish for what we dont have. the poile caps had star defensemen because that was the best way to stretch your budget. you get more bang for your buck having rod langway than having a 50 goal scorer. i mean...rod langway, scott stevens, larry murphy and kevin hatcher is ridiculous. its shea weber and ryan suter plus two more.

we always felt like we were one real elite scorer from a title. add jagr and it collapsed.

now we have skill and apparantly no heart. now we want that old kono, dale hunter, mike ridley, kelly miller, michal pivonka, dave christian like passion again.

dont take my comments as a slam. be the canes. the canes have a cup. they miss the playoffs all the time, but you would take missing the playoffs 6 years out of ten if there was a cup, a finals and ecf in the four playoffs made...right?

Last edited by mrwarden: 01-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Breakout vs SJ was top notch. And has been horrid ever since.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Halpysback

Teams get shut out. It happens.

This team as presently coached and constructed will go much further in the playoffs than in previous years.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:31 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Those damn finns always seem to ruin the party

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Capitlols

Fwiw we had a +32 shot differential under BB this year, -92 under DH.

To add, we haven't had 30 or more shots in 7 straight games, first time in 8 years.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't see that as definitely being the case. This team is completely awful offensively right now. I don't care who you slot in Johansson's spot this team is still going to be terrible offensively because of the way they are asked to play.

This team is asked to focus almost 100% on defense and even when they have the puck unless it is an obvious opportunity the first, second, and third thought is where to put the puck so they can most effectively play defense again. They rely completely on mistakes from the other team and rare PP opportunities for offense. That anyone is struggling to produce under these marching orders should be a surprise to nobody.

That being said if you are building a team long term to play this style you never draft players like Johansson, Kuznetsov, or Semin as those types of players are puck possessors and not puck regainers and need the puck to really be effective.
If they could execute passes and maintain a forecheck, the system isn't an issue. This team is a transition team. We only score now off ozone possession when on pp. even strength, we rely on turnovers to give us puck possession in neutral zone with speed. If a team plays us smart and even up, we're done cause we can't meet their standards of execution.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Teams get shut out. It happens.

This team as presently coached and constructed will go much further in the playoffs than in previous years.
Coached... Maybe but I believe so.

Constructed... Not a chance.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Halpysback predicting at least the finals. Ballsy.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Halpysback

I'm thinking the whole damn thing actually.

Most optimistic I've been about our cup chances since Juneau's goal.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Have to be the first team to do it exclusively with home wins. Better hope we win the President's Trophy.

01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I predict a banner.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is the truth.

Mojo might well be good enough for 2C one day--but not today, of course--and maybe never. Other than Backstrom, the Caps have no legit centers.

Imagine winning with one C.

McPhee is an ignoramus.
Any ideas on the candidates?

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Any ideas on the candidates?

For a center or a new GM?

The Caps will have to dump salary for a new C. I'd ship out Wideman, Laich, Schultz, probably Ward, probably Knuble.

I'd take offers for Mojo but would only trade him if I loved the player we were getting back.

No team wants to trade away their C. Brad Richards was a guy I wanted in July. He would've made a great tandem w/ Backs and the PP would be better. Wouldn't Laich's and Ward's salary been nearly what Brad Richards is making? Arnott would've been a dumpster dive option. Is Tim Connelly broken this year? He was an FA.

Really, any GM with pen and paper ought to see clearly that:

Backstrom
Mojo
Laich
Halpern
Perreault

up the middle is ****.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Halpysback

Doan for a 3rd round pick and 10 million in cash. I know the league banned cash deals but they're desperate to save their darling Phoenix, and could probably pass a vote for this one exception just like they let only Kovalchuk's contract break the new cap hit law. Doan realizes how important the deal would be to Phoenix and pulls the trigger to resign there in the offseason. Plus I'd love to see our front office morally corrupt so many parties and lead them to the dark side.