HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks-Lightning

Old
01-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Ducks-Lightning

To Anaheim: Ryan Malone

To Tampa: Toni Lydman, Dan Sexton, 2nd round pick

Forgive me if this is terrible. I'm not sure how Tampa fans feel about Malone. All I know is that I read that Yzerman was looking for a top 4 defenseman, and from what I've read here, Tampa fans didn't seem to mind giving up Malone.

Anaheim is going to have to adjust to life with out Selanne, and personally I think he retires this offseason. His production is still there, but he doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near the level he was last year IMO. For the first time he looks...old I guess. Anyway, the Ducks are going to have to move Ryan down to his spot on the 2nd line, and will be looking for a winger to play with Getz and Perry next year. Malone's price tag drops enough next season to where he would be affordable, and he seems like he'd be a great fit with them.

For the record, this would have to be a deadline deal, because IMO that's the only way the Ducks could afford Malone this year.

If this is way off, please don't flame me. I wasn't sure on Malone's value.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Bump. Made this a little late last night.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I don't know about the value, but why does Anaheim need Malone?

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I don't know about the value, but why does Anaheim need Malone?
Try reading the OP.

2faded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Try reading the OP.
I see. If Anaheim needs another big body in the top-six then go for it.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I see. If Anaheim needs another big body in the top-six then go for it.
Seems like a good fit with Getz and Perry

Old
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Despite Tampa not being deep at forward, I think they'd jump on an offer like this because of value and Malone's contract.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Malone goes from slightly overpaid to a pretty good contract next year but I would probably do it to get Lyndman.

01-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Despite Tampa not being deep at forward, I think they'd jump on an offer like this because of value and Malone's contract.
Isn't Tampa a budget team though? I know cap hit is high, but seems like a bargain at his contract starting next year.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Selanne138

Definitely take this as a Ducks fan. Malone is the type of player we should be targeting cap wise (Salary<Cap Hit), and I too think he is a nice fit with Getzlaf and Perry, and is better than someone like who we could target in free agency (Penner). If TB would take it call the GM's

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:19 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Isn't Tampa a budget team though? I know cap hit is high, but seems like a bargain at his contract starting next year.
No one really knows. Vinik/Yzerman haven't said there is a budget, but I imagine there is, just Vinik is the sort of owner who will spend if it is needed, but not just for the sake of it.

So if there was a need to be a cap team to retain certain players it would happen.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Adam Banks

As a Ducks fan I think that I would make the deal but we would still need to find another center. Unless Malone can play in the middle? Anyways, I think that acquiring another big body for the top six would be a good idea for next season especially if Selanne and Koivu are both gone.I think we could either play him up with Getzlaf/Perry or put him on one side of a line with Bobby on the other.

Like I said though, I think that we would still need a longer term solution for a top six center and unless he can play in the middle I think that should be a priority.

Adam Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

There's no question that we need a long term center. The problem is finding one.

As far as Malone goes, I think he should be a guy Anaheim targets because he's a guy that seems like he'd be a good fit. Plus I think a deal around Lydman could work. The team has clearly moved on from Lydman with Beauchemin's extension and Sbisa's larger role. We have no reason to hang on to a defenseman in the 5th spot making 3 million. Malone would be a very useful player for us next year, especially with so many upcoming FA's. The fact that he could be a great fit with Getz and Perry is just bonus.

Old
01-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

There is no question the ducks would do this.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
master4071

Really like this idea...we can replace Lydman by signing Brad Stuart via FA...Malone - Getzlaf - Perry sounds interesting...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I think it would be a move that benefits both teams, but with the lack of feedback here, I figured Bolt fans didn't like it.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
BKR

Do you really want the caliber of player Malone is at $4.5mil per year...? The Quacks already have enough bad contracts, why would they want to get themselves into another?

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
Do you really want the caliber of player Malone is at $4.5mil per year...? The Quacks already have enough bad contracts, why would they want to get themselves into another?
Jason Blake is the only bad contract we have and that expires this season, wtf are you smoking?

I like this trade a lot, I think Malone would fit fantastically with the twins and give that line a RHS. Move right to the second line to play with Koivu/Holland/UFA and Kyle Palmieri next season.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
BKR

[QUOTE=Fever Dreams;43025151]Jason Blake is the only bad contract we have and that expires this season, wtf are you smoking?[QUOTE]

I'm not a smoker, but thank you for asking. Quacks are paying Visnovsky - $5.6mil. That is more than the likes of Hossa, Keith, etc.

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
master4071

Moreover his cap hit is 4.5 mln, but his real salary is 3 mln in 12/13, 2.5 mln in 13/14 and 2.5 mln in 14/15...not bad at all...Bobby Ryan can play in new second line...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

[QUOTE=BKR;43025385][QUOTE=Fever Dreams;43025151]Jason Blake is the only bad contract we have and that expires this season, wtf are you smoking?
Quote:

I'm not a smoker, but thank you for asking. Quacks are paying Visnovsky - $5.6mil. That is more than the likes of Hossa, Keith, etc.
Hossa and Keith are also signed for what, the next decade? Visnovsky is one of the best PMDs in the league and next season he makes 3million salary and it's the last year of his contract. Show me where you can find a top pairing defender that can put up 50-70 pts a season for less than 5.6, without signing them for 10 years.

Keith's cap hit is also 5.5...wow, big difference.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:42 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Too bad this makes too much sense and Murray won't do it.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:43 AM
CSampson

I think there's a reason why most people are talking about how nicely Malone will fit in with Anaheim and not Lydman on Tampa's blueline....

I don't think Lydman would have much impact in re-building that blueline. Tampa already has enough mid-30's aged defenders. Hasn't done much so far.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
I think there's a reason why most people are talking about how nicely Malone will fit in with Anaheim and not Lydman on Tampa's blueline....

I don't think Lydman would have much impact in re-building that blueline. Tampa already has enough mid-30's aged defenders. Hasn't done much so far.
Lydman would be a much better option than most of TB's current crop, he's had a rough year after shoulder surgery, but he'll turn it around. You'll also be gaining some cap room to add another defender in the offseason and pick up a pretty damn good draft pick to boot.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

[QUOTE=BKR;43025385][QUOTE=Fever Dreams;43025151]Jason Blake is the only bad contract we have and that expires this season, wtf are you smoking?
Quote:

Keith is actually PAID 8M this yearend next, and his SALARY doesn't drop below 6 million until 2017-18. He has an artificially low cap because he's on a ridiculous long term cap circumvention contract. Hossa is similar. Visnovsky will be paid 3M next year.

Huge difference to a budget team.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote