HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can Montreal ever be successful with all this negativity and pressure from the media?

Old
01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Fair point.

I won't contest that it might be a little worse in Montreal, but I think you'd be surprised though if you ever spent time over here.

Toronto's other sports teams - namely the Blue Jays and the Argos, get very little tv time and attention.

The standard sports recap/talk shows spend more time talking about Canadian hockey (including the Canadians), than they do our other local teams.

If there is a Habs game on, or an all-Canadian match up on one night of the week, we will get in-depth highlights, some interviews, some analysis etc. The Jays and Argos barely get that.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.

My point is that the 2 markets are very comparable in this regard, and the solution to much of it is the same - winning.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to be totally honest and say that I'm enjoying watching your team struggle, but there's sympathy from me towards the fans because the Leafs have been there too and what ends up happening is the media gets so negative and nasty, that the fans buy into it and that's where the problems begin - when the fans aren't objective anymore and begin to spout the same crap that the media spews. And I'm fairly certain that's what is going on in Montreal right now.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.
Problem is that's how it always is here win or lose. The fans think geniuses like Tony Marinaro (lol) have the right opinion and rather than trying to form their own they just regurgitate the crap he spews on the radio each afternoon.

It's easier to bandwagon, not watch games, jump to conclusions and regurgitate the same spew everyone else is. You know it's easier than forming an opinion and actually not being a bandwagoner who only watches come playoff time

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yes, it can.

By not listening to the media.

Novel idea aint it?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
it's not negativity, it's reality
The thing is, at some point we all have to accept reality as reality and quit banging our heads against it. The habs have already done a pile of losing and it seems like it just isnt going to happen this year. So, rather than complain about every single loss, maybe we all could just back off a bit. It's like yelling at a child with a broken leg about how bad he is at running. The habs are losing right now. They have been losing for a while. How is it still a news story if we lose our next game? We have to let them lose.

Missing the playoffs isn't going to kill us. This is actually an opportunity for the habs. It means our weaknesses are exposed and allows us an opportunity to make some real changes.

Last edited by andy28: 01-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Nope because even if a new GM comes in and doesn't have success in his first season, people will want him booted, like they wanted martin booted after his first season.
The media, the fans, are way too impatient these days...it's unfortunate.

But, yes we can still do it, just take a look at the Bruins, they struggled a couple of seasons back, did not sell out, and then some shrewd moves, and bang! A Cup....stay patient guys...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
habtastic

In terms of FAs it hurts. In terms of building without them, if the team is going well and RDS and crew decide to moan and *****, people will tune them out, like in that playoff run. They would doubt the Habs as much as TSN and CBC, but us fans did not care, even the haters. So...just win and you know, that's the reason Gainey actually did quite well given his options in that offseason.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Not The One

How can our players and coaches be affected by the media when 95% of them can't understand a word of it? I'm serious, do you think Darche and Desharnais spend all their days recapping the previous night's Antichambre for Cunneyworth and Price?

One would think that being two points away from 15th place might be a greater distraction than the media...

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Ice a team that will give an effort on a daily basis in addition to being successful, and I'm sure the negativity will suddenly disappear.

Ollie Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Ice a team that will give an effort on a daily basis in addition to being successful, and I'm sure the negativity will suddenly disappear.
Exactly !

Media pressure is another excuse for losers.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
The Nordiques are gonna save the Habs.
^^ this

mtl will not be a winner because management has not grown a set of gonads. They're the first to throw their own staff under the boat, and continue the apologetic attitude to the nedia and fans.

MTL doesn't have to apologize to no one. they should have the shot first and take no prisoner attitude. WINNING will bring in the fans. 24 cups proves it!! Even MTL is not immune to empty seats in an arena. A losing record proves that, not the nationality of the coach or players.

They need a distraction, and that is the Nordiques.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
All-Star

It's not the whole story, but to say the media isn't a factor is ********. Hockey players keep up with the news just like everyone else, so they're very aware of what everyone thinks of them. I know if the media was on my ass every day, I'd probably be spending my time looking for another job too.

There are reasons why teams like Montreal and Toronto have issues attracting and keeping top end talent (at all levels) when compared to other teams, and overzealous and unprofessional "journalists" who get away with behaving like common fans is definitely one of them.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:38 PM
bobsURuncle

Of course not being able to land a real star player has hurt the habs, but the media and the fanbase are adding insult to injury...
every team will slump, even the detroit red wings, the difference is the media in detroit does not demand trading players and firing coaches/GM and to replace them with locals from michigan everytime they slump...the media in montreal is not analyzing hockey or approaching topics with logic or reasoning, just emotions and name calling, that is english media too, look at jack todd...and yes even if things go well for the team the media will still focus on negatives...players that are under performing...apparently their business model is misery sells.

I was at that game when Ryan O'Byrne scored on his own team...a stupid mistake made by a rookie playing around his 40th game in the NHL (the game was in Nov or Dec) and the crowd for this rest of the game was chanting his name and calling for his blood...the opposing team was the NYI and they were literally laughing at the situation...the NYI ended up beating us in OT...I was so angry at the fans not the team. It sucks when your favorite team is struggling but jesus chill out and buck up true fans support their teams even during the lean years.

bobsURuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
short answer: no.

ultimately, the media will fuel this monster that demands perfection - not victories, perfection. they always find ways to complain about something, even after a victory. and it doesn't help that a lot of media guys (hi tony) have blatant agendas and will do everything to push that agenda. kinda like southernhab and fighting

the fans pick up on it, the boo-birds come out, and management is forced to act, to make short-term moves to appease the masses and i don't blame them.

bottom line is: our media personalities, our columnists, radio host, all these guys: half are agenda-pushing *******s, the other half are ignorant morons. and the population eats that **** up and regurgitates it right back thinking they suddenly are great analysts of the beautiful game of hockey who just came up with an original thought

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
While Montreal is considered a media circus when it comes to the NHL, professional athletes around the world deal with this sort of situation on a daily basis.

Just look at the UEFA Champion's League, there's a media circus going on in every city that gets in and the fans are insane, just like here.

If you work your ass off to become a professional athlete and you make it, it's a given that you're going to have to deal with the media and fan frenzy. They are professionals for ****'s sake. If the media scares them I don't them on my team anyway, just shows lack of mental toughness IMO.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Ive actually been thinking about this topic for a bit now and i have to say... Its tough, it definately does NOT help, and the only thing that will ever help this situation

Is the nordiques coming back.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Media and fans are overrated. Put the red wings' organization in Montreal and no one will ever talk ****.

Post of the year. (and I will include 2011 as well )

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:46 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Media and fans are overrated. Put the red wings' organization in Montreal and no one will ever talk ****.
We will never know...that being said, I respectfully disagree, when media and fan expectations are in your face every day, as they are in Montreal, the language issue etc would guys like Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom be fine with this? I don't think so...just my .02 cents...

The pressure of expectations is what seems to get to pro athletes more than anything else...and when they get criticized all to often, they usually press too hard, don't perform well or look for a way out...even St Patrick was looking for an out...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
I'm reading a couple of daily newspapers here and there and it's pathetic. Every loss is amplified tenfold. Wins get a couple of cliff notes. Every time something bad happens, writers talk about "imagine if". Much talk about our rare frenchies when they get a point, nothing by others. When someone gets traded, it's always if it were a good riddance.

It's like if the media is happy when the Habs lose. And got nothing to say once they win. A while ago, there was that Kostitsyns "fiasco". Media aggressively plotted unimaginable stories and were practically visualizing the two Belorussians behind bars. Last week Cammalleri told that his team is going through a losing mentality. Media paraphrased it as Cammalleri insulting the whole franchise.

It's godamn unbearable anymore. Habs could go on a 10 game winning streak and journalist would write "too bad they aren't at 11 yet".
I am sick and tired of the complaining and excuses about Montreal's fans and media. That's just a code for "a lot of them speak French" from a bunch of gutless players and agents who can't handle pressure. Oh, and they're usually Don Cherry's favourites, too.

My god, the Boston Globe sports section is typically thicker than the entire Globe and Mail. That's a town with intense media scrutiny of its sports teams. Have you ever listened to Charlie Steiner rag on Derek Jeter? This is a guy who will have a corner, let alone a plaque, in Cooperstown when it's all over and Steiner will still get on him. A-Rod will never be good enough. Do you even have a clue what it means to be the centre fielder for the Yankees? Bobby Murcer was an all-star and finished top-5 in MVP voting and wasn't good enough. Bernie Williams is an almost HofF player and wasn't quite good enough. You've got to live up to Mantle, Dimaggio and Combs.

How about being the star for the Lakers (West, Kareem, Magic, et al) or for the Celtics (Havlicek, Russell, Cousy, Bird, etc.), or the left fielder for the Red Sox (Williams, Yaz, Rice)? Come on, man. I mean, Lakers honks still aren't sold on Kobe! Still.

You haven't even considered Phillie fan and media where they boo Santa Claus and very nearly ran Mike Schmidt out of town and where Steve Carlton never ever talked to the media! They did run McNabb and Rolen and others out of town.

Get out of this HNIC/TSN/Toronto mentality that Montreal is a "pressure cooker." Seriously, it's code for we're gutless and afraid of having to learn three words in French (merci la visite), but Don Cherry likes us. People get on Euros for being aloof and not adjusting, but they're moving 1000s of miles and multiple cultures from home at young ages. Jr. A players rack up massive phone bills and homesickness when they're shuffling up and down the 401. Canadian trained hockey players are among the most coddled athletes of them all and they are allowed to remain in a near perpetual adolescence b/c of the fact that they are so mollycoddled (from billets to meals, to high school, to all of it). I've said it before and I'll say it again: when I hear Derek Jeter complain about the pressure of being the captain of the Yankees, then I'll believe in media/fan pressure being too much to bear, it'll be the first time.

Last edited by Chris Nilan: 01-21-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: left out Jr. A
Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
I am sick and tired of the complaining and excuses about Montreal's fans and media. That's just a code for "a lot of them speak French" from a bunch of gutless players and agents who can't handle pressure. Oh, and they're usually Don Cherry's favourites, too.

My god, the Boston Globe sports section is typically thicker than the entire Globe and Mail. That's a town with intense media scrutiny of its sports teams. Have you ever listened to Charlie Steiner rag on Derek Jeter? This is a guy who will have a corner, let alone a plaque, in Cooperstown when it's all over and Steiner will still get on him. A-Rod will never be good enough. Do you even have a clue what it means to be the centre fielder for the Yankees? Bobby Murcer was an all-star and finished top-5 in MVP voting and wasn't good enough. Bernie Williams is an almost HofF player and wasn't quite good enough. You've got to live up to Mantle, Dimaggio and Combs.

How about being the star for the Lakers (West, Kareem, Magic, et al) or for the Celtics (Havlicek, Russell, Cousy, Bird, etc.), or the left fielder for the Red Sox (Williams, Yaz, Rice)? Come on, man. I mean, Lakers honks still aren't sold on Kobe! Still.

You haven't even considered Phillie fan and media where they boo Santa Claus and very nearly ran Mike Schmidt out of town and where Steve Carlton never ever talked to the media! They did run McNabb and Rolen and others out of town.

Get out of this HNIC/TSN/Toronto mentality that Montreal is a "pressure cooker." Seriously, it's code for we're gutless and afraid of having to learn three words in French (merci la visite), but Don Cherry likes us. People get on Euros for being aloof and not adjusting, but they're moving 1000s of miles and multiple cultures from home at young ages. Jr. A players rack up massive phone bills and homesickness when they're shuffling up and down the 401. Canadian trained hockey players are among the most coddled athletes of them all and they are allowed to remain in a near perpetual adolescence b/c of the fact that they are so mollycoddled (from billets to meals, to high school, to all of it). I've said it before and I'll say it again: when I hear Derek Jeter complain about the pressure of being the captain of the Yankees, then I'll believe in media/fan pressure being too much to bear, it'll be the first time.
Another very good post.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote