HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geoff Molson guilty of incompetence?

Old
01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd love to have a President or Owner come out and insult all the moronic fans, or people with agendas, like the ones protesting.
Say things like ''we bought this team so we can build a winning dynasty again, and if it means having a guy speaking english only, so be it. We will hire the best hockey person available, at every position''.

I don't see why they have to respect fans that aren't really respecting the organization in the first place.
I agree.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
I'd love to have a President or Owner come out and insult all the moronic fans, or people with agendas, like the ones protesting.
Say things like ''we bought this team so we can build a winning dynasty again, and if it means having a guy speaking english only, so be it. We will hire the best hockey person available, at every position''.

I don't see why they have to respect fans that aren't really respecting the organization in the first place.
Totally agree.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:46 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The mistake was not in the handling of the Martin firing, the mistake was having a Martin firing in the first place. And I hope it wasn't his idea, and if it was I hope he learned his lesson and is going to be hands off from now on.

As for undermining Cunneyworth, well, he doesn't need to be undermined. He does that to himself.
How so? Honest question, I just didn't notice anything like that.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Miss Uncle George.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Miss Uncle George.
Same.

Not that it's fair to fully judge Molson so early in his tenure as owner, but he's failed pretty much every preliminary test there is.

Keys to being a good owner:

1. Spend a lot of money
2. Shutup

He's got #1 down, but he needs to read his notes on #2. Creating a ****ing Twitter account doesn't help.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Again, its way, WAY to early to judge Molson. First of all, you have an involved ownership in Detroit (Ilitch family) and Boston (Jacobs family) which hasn't seemed to deter success. I'll wait to judge Molson on accusations of meddling when he actually puts his mark on the team. He has a team he inherited and hasn't really had time put his mark on it. I'll judge him when he actually hires people.

And for all Boivin did to create a frenzy for the team in Montreal, he wasn't exactly great at improving the on ice product.
Absolutely! For all our endless talk of rebuilding, the rebuild has already started from the very top. We have an owner who appears to be in it for the long haul. He has local roots and a ton of family history attached to the team. He's also a relatively young guy who won't be picking up his toys and going home to the US or England or elsewhere. Obviously there are no guarantees, but if I had to pick a potentially ideal owner who has every reason to make this team the legacy of his lifetime, it would be him.

Molson has reportedly been meeting with Serge Savard. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean Savard's becoming our next GM (although that would be fine with me). What that says to me is that if Molson's seeking out advice from outside, SOMEONE will be becoming our next GM in the near future. Molson's not the meddling type, but he's clearly gathering all the information he can to make a decision on when/who to hire.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
The poor coaching decisions he's taken. Don't tell me you haven't noticed them..
His poor match ups, his usage of certain players in OT, or even SO, his benching/scratching of players, the lack of structure, etc..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:36 AM
MXD

His only blunder is letting Gauthier hire Cunneyworth (actually, fire Martin in order to name Cunneyworth head coach) -- I mean, that's really the only thing he had some kind of power on.

This is when everything went wrong.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
MXD

Quote:

As a president or ownre, you have to expect those things to happen, and you cannot exactly come out and insult people.

The only thing you have some kind of control on? Make sure the decisions that gives people a reason to demonstrate.

Molson HAD to know that the hiring of an unilingual, English speaking coach would cause problem. Heck, if they were to hire such a guy, they should A LEAST have gone with the guy who was here last season -- Muller.

And the thing with the ... Best available : I don't know who it was, but it wasn't Cunneyworth.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Have you read Cammalleri's comments -- not the ones that apparently got him traded, the ones after they got pasted by Winnipeg?

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/332212.html

"We always want to keep things simple and work hard, but we need to make things happen, play hockey too, you know."

"We need to be more creative and make some changes. It'd be too easy to say that we just need to shoot more and put guys in front. With more players moving, we'd create more scoring chances."

I thought it was a direct rebuke of his coach. So were his later pre-trade comments, I thought. And if he said it out loud I doubt he's the only one who felt that way. At the very least, it took 10 games for him to alienate a key veteran.

Randy's undermining himself because his tactics are simplistic and the players aren't stupid and see that. And personally, I see how he's using players -- Plekanec, Eller, the defensemen -- and can't help but think he's making players unhappy that way, too. Eller's been benched twice in two games and scratched earlier, how do you think he feels about that?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
Have you read Cammalleri's comments -- not the ones that apparently got him traded, the ones after they got pasted by Winnipeg?

"We always want to keep things simple and work hard, but we need to make things happen, play hockey too, you know."

"We need to be more creative and make some changes. It'd be too easy to say that we just need to shoot more and put guys in front. With more players moving, we'd create more scoring chances."

I thought it was a direct rebuke of his coach. So were his later pre-trade comments, I thought. And if he said it out loud I doubt he's the only one who felt that way. At the very least, it took 10 games for him to alienate a key veteran.

Randy's undermining himself because his tactics are simplistic and the players aren't stupid and see that. And personally, I see how he's using players -- Plekanec, Eller, the defensemen -- and can't help but think he's making players unhappy that way, too. Eller's been benched twice in two games and scratched earlier, how do you think he feels about that?
What is with Eller and Darche playing similar minutes against Pittsburgh? Did Eller make some glaring mistake?

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Futility??? You must not have been a Habs fan in the mid to late 90's. Although certainly not a championship calibre period, I don't understand how making the playoffs just about every year with a 1st place in the East and a semi-final berth can be considered futility. That's very drama queenish of you.
The 'drama queens' tend to be fans from the good ol' days when there were 6 - 12 teams, and the Habs were dominant, so anything less than a dynasty is considered futility. Habs fans in general are not happy unless there are Cups. I guess overall this is a good thing, but it also makes people jaded and bitter over time, making them miserable and unhappy towards the team. Although I wish the team and organization be more successful, I try to be realistic, and realize mistakes will happen, and just try to enjoy whatever comes. At least there is always drama and stories. I also know that there will never be a dynasty, and probably not even back to back cups for this franchise. But that isn't the case for the Habs, but for every team. There hasn't been a dynasty since the oilers. The wings have been the most successful franchise for the last 20 years and they haven't achieved what the great dynasties achieved before them. It's just the ways things are going to be. In this NHL, 8th place has as much a chance as 1st place, that's parity for you. I think this next few weeks will be fun, nop matter what happens.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
What is with Eller and Darche playing similar minutes against Pittsburgh? Did Eller make some glaring mistake?
Doubtful, as that would have gotten him benched if history is any guide.

The answer seems to be "too much special teams time and Darche kills penalties", but I think it's fair to suggest that Eller is back in the doghouse.

Weird how the coach handles him. One game with plenty of icetime in which he scores. A handful of 10-minute games, culminating in being scratched outright. A couple games, a 4-goal explosion, and from then on he gets used as the top tough-minutes centers. He predictably flounders, gets benched for stretches of 20 minutes for it, and he's right back to the doghouse.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
The 'drama queens' tend to be fans from the good ol' days when there were 6 - 12 teams, and the Habs were dominant, so anything less than a dynasty is considered futility. Habs fans in general are not happy unless there are Cups. I guess overall this is a good thing, but it also makes people jaded and bitter over time, making them miserable and unhappy towards the team. Although I wish the team and organization be more successful, I try to be realistic, and realize mistakes will happen, and just try to enjoy whatever comes. At least there is always drama and stories. I also know that there will never be a dynasty, and probably not even back to back cups for this franchise. But that isn't the case for the Habs, but for every team. There hasn't been a dynasty since the oilers. The wings have been the most successful franchise for the last 20 years and they haven't achieved what the great dynasties achieved before them. It's just the ways things are going to be. In this NHL, 8th place has as much a chance as 1st place, that's parity for you. I think this next few weeks will be fun, nop matter what happens.
Exactly. I'm not saying I want 8th place finishes year in and out. I want excellence too. But making the playoffs you at least have a chance at the cup. A few good teams don't make it even...

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
The poor coaching decisions he's taken. Don't tell me you haven't noticed them..
His poor match ups, his usage of certain players in OT, or even SO, his benching/scratching of players, the lack of structure, etc..
Yes, I've certainly noticed those, I thought there was something else that being outside of Montreal I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

No, I wasn't aware of what was said by Cammy. I have to say that I have not been impressed with how Randy coaches, but thought it was just a matter of time before his style/game plan would finally catch on. Have to say I was surprised to see Gomez selected for the SO last night.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

Exactly. That is why I think Boivin was a complete failure regarding the Canadiens on the ice. Sure, Boivin was a marketing genius but he sucked when it came to HOCKEY decisions.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:48 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Not a lot of confidence in G Molson, being born into a big family business does not mean he worked hard to learn and understand business. The world is full of gormless rich kids.

The press release he issued after the RC controversy was stumbling and reactive. Allowing PG to continue to manage our assets is frightening. I hope we get a good GM soon then G Molson steps back into the shadows where he belongs.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:53 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post

I can only speak for myself and I can assure you that if the Canadiens had the same success as the Detroit Red Wings over the last 15 years, I would not complain one bit. The Red Wings have won 4 Stanley Cups and one SC final that they lost in.

During the last 15 years, how many times did the Habs make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Zero.

Your post makes no sense other than to highlight what is wrong with the Canadiens franchise and a lot of its fanbase.

Canadiens' management has done nothing to win a Cup and continue to serve up **** sandwiches to the fans and people like you will continue to apologize for management and say things like what you said above............. "I try to be realistic, and realize mistakes will happen, and just try to enjoy whatever comes."

That last sentence is exactly why we have the team we do today and why we have idiots like Gauthier running this team. Regardless of the futility over the last 18 years, there are 21,000 fans willing to spend hundreds of dollars per game to "enjoy whatever comes".

And as long as that sentiment prevails, we will be closer to the Columbus Blue Jackets than the Detroit Red Wings.

Mediocrity rules. Go Habs Go.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Not a lot of confidence in G Molson, being born into a big family business does not mean he worked hard to learn and understand business. The world is full of gormless rich kids.

The press release he issued after the RC controversy was stumbling and reactive. Allowing PG to continue to manage our assets is frightening. I hope we get a good GM soon then G Molson steps back into the shadows where he belongs.
Agree 100%...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Bullsmith

To be perfectly frank, I hope that management's cutting the legs out from under Cunnyworth was machivellian, not incompetence. In recent memory the Bruins, Flyers and Ottawa (just a few instances) had horrendous single seasons, and in all three cases they basically appointed lame-duck, largely incompetent coaches. I'm not suggesting Cunny is incompetent, but he sure is in a lame duck position. This is a proven way to lose badly for a year and then, when a dynamic coach comes in to take over, return to winning quickly. In the meantime Ottawa got great picks last year, Boston got Thornton and Samsonov in a single draft and Philly got JVR second overall.

Problem is, even if we tank partly due to an undermined, exposed coach, we're still working under a GM who doesn't seem capable of building a truly contending team. Who in their right mind thinks a roster of Campoli, Kaberle, Diaz and Weber all on the same team can compete against physical opposition? Markov might have improved the PP, but who was supposed to protect Price? Who was supposed to deal with the **** Subban stirs up? Did the guy not watch how Boston won the cup last year? The "New" NHL has been evolved, interference is allowed now, especially running picks at the blueline. PG built a one-trick pony team and that trick- using speed to blow by defenders who aren't allowed to touch the small forwards once they dump/pass the puck- is now obselete. Just look at poor Plex. His best move in recent years is chipping the puck past the opposing D at his own blue line and then taking off to pick it up in the neutral zone. This season (and last) opposing D just step in front of him. Apparently that's not interference anymore. PG's job is to adjust to the game that's being called, not stick to his fantasy of a team without any grit or tenacity or ability to deal with after-the-whistle issues at all.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
obcd1

You are right, that owner should be fired

obcd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
habs86

vCash: 1251
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
If Gauthier is allowed to preside over the sale of players, a new GM will find the cupboard bare and not enough return to ice a competative team next season, let alone the foreseeable future.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Cammy wasn't happy with Martin either and Martin himself said so the other night. Cunneyworth (understandibly) was cutting his icetime and Cammy was frustrated. And I'm pretty sure I've seen you on here saying that some of the vets deserved to have their time cut.

As for Cunneyworth, who the heck knows what his plan is? And who knows if it's being followed? The guy gets put into a bad situation and immediately gets thrown under the bus by his GM. It's a no win situation for him. JM's first season was just as bad as what we're going through right now only he had Godlike goaltending going for him. Even last year with Price playing lights out we still only managed 96 points and this season the team sucked.

It's not like JM was leading us to the promised land.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I can only speak for myself and I can assure you that if the Canadiens had the same success as the Detroit Red Wings over the last 15 years, I would not complain one bit. The Red Wings have won 4 Stanley Cups and one SC final that they lost in.

During the last 15 years, how many times did the Habs make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Zero.

Your post makes no sense other than to highlight what is wrong with the Canadiens franchise and a lot of its fanbase.

Canadiens' management has done nothing to win a Cup and continue to serve up **** sandwiches to the fans and people like you will continue to apologize for management and say things like what you said above............. "I try to be realistic, and realize mistakes will happen, and just try to enjoy whatever comes."

That last sentence is exactly why we have the team we do today and why we have idiots like Gauthier running this team. Regardless of the futility over the last 18 years, there are 21,000 fans willing to spend hundreds of dollars per game to "enjoy whatever comes".

And as long as that sentiment prevails, we will be closer to the Columbus Blue Jackets than the Detroit Red Wings.

Mediocrity rules. Go Habs Go.
There aren't 21000 fans willing to spend hundreds of dollars at the games. The seats are getting emptier by the game, and crowd is getting quieter by the game.
Must be fun to make all these assumptions when you don't even live in the country, never mind the city.
*i'm special, i'm not a sheep bla bla bla*

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote