HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeffrey Cashes In|By Michelle Crechiolo

Old
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
My baby daughter was being fussy as hell, so I missed various parts of the game. I saw the replay when he hit the Hab player in front of the net... but I swear I heard Steigy say over my daughter's crying he was back in later on. But I think I saw one shift the entire third...

We know he seems to bench Tangradi for odd reasons - so who knows if he was hurt or benched.
I don't think he played at all after he went off after that near-miss scrum but I may have missed it. I don't have a daughter, but I did have a few beers

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I believe all of this is probably true. But are we in a position to keep him in the line-up over players who are clearly better than him this year? ... Simply put, our best 12-14 forward line-up does not include Eric Tangradi if we are healthy.
No of course not, but I do think you could argue for giving minutes to him over Asham, and possibly sharing minutes with TK depending on how many D we suit up when healthy. Chicken or egg thing ultimately. How will he ever get to the point of being one of our Top 9 or 10 forwards if we bounce him back to WBS every time he's mediocre, only to replace him with "experienced mediocrity"?

You could argue it either way. Personally I haven't seen anything yet that scares me about keeping him up here.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
TheDudeAbides

Why? Why? Why?

Why does every thread have to turn into a thread about Eric Tangradi. I don't know what the love affair with this kid is. Where is all this upside that everyone's seeing? I came in here to see what people thought of Jeffreys game and instead all I see is about that 4th liner who will NEVER amount to anything but being a career minor leaguer. The guy doesn't even deserve the ice time he's getting. My guess is that he is being showcased so we can deal him at the deadline, which honestly, I would love. Jeffrey comes back from a bad knee injury and he's been playing very well, he was getting good opportunities and they just weren't going in until last night. Jeffrey is a guy who will stick in our lineup. Tangradi can't even do so much as win a fight at the NHL level. I cant wait until we ship all that "potential" somewhere else. The comparisons of the 2 are ridiculous. Tangradi hasn't done a single solitary thing to be compared to Jeffrey. And I know some people think that Tangradi isn't getting a fair shake and that the coaches have something against him, well it isn't because the coaches don't like him. That's too convenient an excuse. It all comes down to a more fundemental purpose. He's just not good at his profession. Jason Williams out-produced Tangradi so that's saying something.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Pancakes

I agree about preaching patience with Tangradi and prospects in general. But I also think you have to be realistic with him. He's not better (right now) than anyone we have on the roster. He's just not. He hasn't shown anything to indicate that he is. Yes he doesn't get the top six minutes and maybe if he did he would produce, but the Pens aren't going to hand him those minutes. I've said that over and over. And they shouldn't. He should go the same route that every other prospect has. Start out on the 4th and work your way up.

If Tangradi wants to get those top six minutes he is going to have to show something no matter how few minutes he gets or what line he plays on. And if he can't, then he's going to have to wait until training camp to make his mark because training camp is the only time of the year where he will be handed top six minutes.

We aren't the Blue Jackets or Isles. We're the Penguins. We're an elite team. Elite teams don't just hand people minutes, unless they are such highly rated prospects that it's obvious they deserve them (eg Larsson with the Devils, Tavares with the Isles, Malkin with us, etc).

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Why? Why? Why?

Why does every thread have to turn into a thread about Eric Tangradi. I don't know what the love affair with this kid is. Where is all this upside that everyone's seeing? I came in here to see what people thought of Jeffreys game and instead all I see is about that 4th liner who will NEVER amount to anything but being a career minor leaguer. The guy doesn't even deserve the ice time he's getting. My guess is that he is being showcased so we can deal him at the deadline, which honestly, I would love. Jeffrey comes back from a bad knee injury and he's been playing very well, he was getting good opportunities and they just weren't going in until last night. Jeffrey is a guy who will stick in our lineup. Tangradi can't even do so much as win a fight at the NHL level. I cant wait until we ship all that "potential" somewhere else. The comparisons of the 2 are ridiculous. Tangradi hasn't done a single solitary thing to be compared to Jeffrey. And I know some people think that Tangradi isn't getting a fair shake and that the coaches have something against him, well it isn't because the coaches don't like him. That's too convenient an excuse. It all comes down to a more fundemental purpose. He's just not good at his profession. Jason Williams out-produced Tangradi so that's saying something.
Serious question: Do you know anything about Tangradi aside from his (very small number of) games with the NHL Pens?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Jeffrey is the poster boy for making the most of a limited opportunity at the NHL level. Remember how long it took them to bring him up last season? He finally got a shot, and produced, even in a limited role. Good on him. He tore it up at the AHL level wherever he was put (center or wing) and finally cashed in when he got his shot.

That's why people are down on Tangradi. He hasn't really shown anything in his time up, except a willingness to fight (poorly). Next season is going to be make-or-break for him in this organization. I think you'll see him get a lot more time in a scoring role early in the year to see if he's got what it takes.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Why? Why? Why?

I guess this answers my question about what Hfboards would of been like in the early to mid 90s... just substitute a few extra lines of incoherent nonsense about Brown and Mullen spoonfeeding a soft Euro, or how CP is a tool for only getting back Smokes and AHL fodder for Artie and McEachern.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I believe all of this is probably true. But are we in a position to keep him in the line-up over players who are clearly better than him this year? When Staal and Asham come back that's a decision that will need to be made. God help him if Sid comes back or we bring in a forward at the deadline. Simply put, our best 12-14 forward line-up does not include Eric Tangradi if we are healthy.
I don't see how all these guys have been "clearly better" than ET. it can be argued that the whole 3rd line has been pretty bad/invisible the past ~10 games as well as TK on the 2nd line. Not to mention Adams who could prolly score a hattrick on MAF and still get a regular shift.

IMO with how poorly some of the individuals have been playing on the 3rd line, what's that harm in giving ET some 3rd line mins or at least an regular shift with the 4th line.

I'd like to see a total bottom 9 shuffle:

Tangradi - Vitale - Sullivan
Cooke - Park - Adams

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:44 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
My baby daughter was being fussy as hell, so I missed various parts of the game. I saw the replay when he hit the Hab player in front of the net... but I swear I heard Steigy say over my daughter's crying he was back in later on. But I think I saw one shift the entire third...

We know he seems to bench Tangradi for odd reasons - so who knows if he was hurt or benched.
He was at practice today so he must have been benched...

PensInsideScoop Pens Inside Scoop
#Pens optional practice: Jeffrey, Williams, Tangradi, Vitale, Adams, Niskanen, Engelland, Lovejoy, Letang, Fleury & Johnson skating -Sam

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Jeffrey is the poster boy for making the most of a limited opportunity at the NHL level. Remember how long it took them to bring him up last season? He finally got a shot, and produced, even in a limited role. Good on him. He tore it up at the AHL level wherever he was put (center or wing) and finally cashed in when he got his shot.

That's why people are down on Tangradi. He hasn't really shown anything in his time up, except a willingness to fight (poorly). Next season is going to be make-or-break for him in this organization. I think you'll see him get a lot more time in a scoring role early in the year to see if he's got what it takes.
Jeffrey was the person I was pissed that they didn't call up over Conner last season.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Let's hope the Tangradi obsession ends, but that is wishful thinking...

Back to Jeffrey - does anyone get the same feeling I do that he could make Staal expendable one day, assuming he can stay consistent like this?

I know he played a lot of wing in the A, but I feel he is best as your third pivot.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:51 PM
High Flying Birds

DJ has been looking great the last few games. Future 3rd line C if Staalkin gets resurrected (and Crosby is healthy obviously) He seems like a jack-of-all-trades in the NHL games I've seen of him but with a knack for being in the right place at the right time and scoring important goals like Jiggy touched on. He's definitely skating his best since before the knee injury as well. Possibly being a third wheel on the top lines makes him an interesting player going forward.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

Back to Jeffrey - does anyone get the same feeling I do that he could make Staal expendable one day, assuming he can stay consistent like this?

I know he played a lot of wing in the A, but I feel he is best as your third pivot.
No way, IMO. If Shero's gonna decide to move one of the two it's DJ no question. Staal's just too good and too PO proven to move for DJ, not to mention how much Shero loves him.

It might, however, force DB to look into Staal in the top 6 or moving DJ to the wing.

I really wouldn't mind moving Sid to wing for the first little while after he's back to ease him into things, like the used to do w/ Lemieux.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Sid - Staal - TDL winger
Duper - DJ - Kennedy

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:

Not sure he'd make Staal expendable, but he's definitely a very important cog for this team going forward. If Sid continues to have problems, it's nice to have another NHL caliber center around. Hell, if the team decides to put Staal with Malkin for good when we're completely healthy, having Jeffrey and Vitale to center the 3rd and 4th lines is awesome.

Old
01-21-2012, 03:58 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Everyone wants top six forwards unless it means developing them. In that case it's throw them away at the first sign of struggle. Guy is suppose to score goals during his 6 second shifts with Craig Adams.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Everyone wants top six forwards unless it means developing them. In that case it's throw them away at the first sign of struggle. Guy is suppose to score goals during his 6 second shifts with Craig Adams.
Problem is, I don't see him as a top six guy. Neither has he shown any signs of being one. Being a guy standing in front of the goaltender on the PP doesn't translate to top six steady 5 on 5 play. It's pretty clear the top six is filled unless it's an upgrade. I don't see him as such. I'd be aiming for Cookes job at the most. Even then he hasn't shown enough to displace him let alone a true top six forward.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I don't see how all these guys have been "clearly better" than ET. it can be argued that the whole 3rd line has been pretty bad/invisible the past ~10 games as well as TK on the 2nd line. Not to mention Adams who could prolly score a hattrick on MAF and still get a regular shift.

IMO with how poorly some of the individuals have been playing on the 3rd line, what's that harm in giving ET some 3rd line mins or at least an regular shift with the 4th line.

I'd like to see a total bottom 9 shuffle:

Tangradi - Vitale - Sullivan
Cooke - Park - Adams
No.

Tangradi does not deserve 3rd line minutes. He should get more than they are currently giving him (IE, around 10). Maybe he should pick up a Penalty Kill skillset if he wants to play. But, at this point in his career, regardless of prospect pedigree and whatnot, he's a 4th liner.

HockeysFuture ratings aren't the only thing to look at when it comes to talent. Yes, they listed his peak potential as being a true Top 6 guy with the chance to fall to Middle 6. It's really more around being Middle 6 with a chance of dropping to Bottom 6. And it wouldn't be bad if he ended up at around a 6.5 instead of a 7.5, which HockeysFuture listed as his potential drop. Wouldn't be great. Even if he ended up as a 5.5 instead of a 6.5, I mean, that's still a quality hockey player if he's in the system, no?

(Since you don't understand what Middle 6 is, even though it's common sense, it's being a 2nd/3rd liner...)

Anyway, you don't put him a line above Matt Cooke. And, you don't put Joe Vitale a line above Richard Park, who is playing great, responsible 2-way hockey right now. And that's no slam on Vitale, who I love. Park hasn't lost his job. Cooke hasn't lost his job. Neither Tangradi nor Vitale are doing anything to justify a move ahead of Cooke and Park, respectively.

And the third line has been fine. You can argue your point. But, did they not produce a goal against the Rangers? Didn't Park produce a goal against Tampa Bay? And Sullivan against the Panthers?

Matt Cooke's backchecking has been solid. He's had a takeaway in 4 of the last 5 games. He has at least two hits in four out of five games (with two games w/ 3).

Park went 7 and 2 in the faceoff circle last night. He was on the ice for a few goals, but when the chips were down, he was getting back to the Penguins blueline with defenders while Cooke and Sullivan were at the Canadiens blueline as a result of the 2-1-2 forecheck. As a result, the Canadiens weren't able to rush in quickly. Small things like that. You gotta notice those things.

Come on, dude. Eric Tangradi over Matt Cooke? Not this season. Joe Vitale over Richard Park? Maybe later on in the year, but certainly not right now. Vitale is excelling as a 4th liner. Why mess that up?

Come. On.

And that, people, is the difference between Eric Tangradi and Dustin Jeffrey. We don't question the guy like this.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:33 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Problem is, I don't see him as a top six guy. Neither has he shown any signs of being one. Being a guy standing in front of the goaltender on the PP doesn't translate to top six steady 5 on 5 play. It's pretty clear the top six is filled unless it's an upgrade. I don't see him as such. I'd be aiming for Cookes job at the most. Even then he hasn't shown enough to displace him let alone a true top six forward.
That's because it's something that takes time. If he was a fast skating European people on here we would want to give him a shot until he's 30. Guy doesn't put up 25 points in 30 games in the AHL if he doesn't have a little bit of skill.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That's because it's something that takes time. If he was a fast skating European people on here we would want to give him a shot until he's 30. Guy doesn't put up 25 points in 30 games in the AHL if he doesn't have a little bit of skill.
The problem with this argument is you have guys like Chris Bourque and Jeff Taffe who are good players in the AHL (ppg guys) but absolute **** at the NHL level.

I mean, I still think Tangradi has a shot at becoming a solid third liner, but I don't know if it's going to be with this team. He's certainly shown nothing to point to his ability as a top-6 scoring winger either. Granted, he hasn't been given much of an opportunity, but when he has been given an opportunity at this level, he's done nothing with it. Even guys like Letestu, Jeffrey, Vitale--Hell, even going back to Kennedy and Talbot--all did something with their limited action when they were first given their shots. Tangradi has not, and this is not an organization to just hand out ice time and scoring duties to a guy because the fan base wants them to. Guys have to earn it here, and Tangradi hasn't.

Again, not jumping ship on Tangradi. I think he still has time to prove himself, but that time is rapidly coming to a close. I believe if he doesn't solidify his place with this team come Thanksgiving, he's as good as done here.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
The problem with this argument is you have guys like Chris Bourque and Jeff Taffe who are good players in the AHL (ppg guys) but absolute **** at the NHL level.

I mean, I still think Tangradi has a shot at becoming a solid third liner, but I don't know if it's going to be with this team. He's certainly shown nothing to point to his ability as a top-6 scoring winger either. Granted, he hasn't been given much of an opportunity, but when he has been given an opportunity at this level, he's done nothing with it. Even guys like Letestu, Jeffrey, Vitale--Hell, even going back to Kennedy and Talbot--all did something with their limited action when they were first given their shots. Tangradi has not, and this is not an organization to just hand out ice time and scoring duties to a guy because the fan base wants them to. Guys have to earn it here, and Tangradi hasn't.

Again, not jumping ship on Tangradi. I think he still has time to prove himself, but that time is rapidly coming to a close. If he doesn't solidify his place with this team come Thanksgiving, he's as good as done here.
What's funny about that is those guys actually got some playing time. I mean last night he got two 6 second shifts, a 10 second shift, & didn't even touch the ice in the third. If he gets the time & fails fine but people are judging him one what's a pretty unfair situation.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Serious question: Do you know anything about Tangradi aside from his (very small number of) games with the NHL Pens?
Serious question: WHO CARES???? It's minor leagues. He has proven he cant even handle the minutes hes given how can anybody say he has potential?

Old
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Serious question: WHO CARES???? It's minor leagues. He has proven he cant even handle the minutes hes given how can anybody say he has potential?
He's doing fine on the 4th line. Right now, that doesn't mean squat for the 3rd line, let alone the 2nd (or 1st when Sid returns). He had some residual chemistry with Jeffrey from playing on the same W-B/S team (although I don't know how much they played together), so a few short shifts a game of Tangradi - Vitale - Jeffrey after the PK, when Dupers is tired as a result of his PK time (meaning he wouldn't go out with Jeffrey) is not the worst thing the team could do.

But yeah, right now, he's getting minutes and, frankly, he's taking advantage of them as best he can. He gets better every game.

He starting to look like a good NHL 4th liner.

That doesn't meaning anything for Line 3 or that which Line will not be mentioned (since the idea of mentioning is so absurd at this point).

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Fantastic game by him. He was so noticeable. I think the guy has a very well rounded skillset. He's good at everything, not great at anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You're right, he's a player that you can plug anywhere into the line up. He can play wing or center on any line and he's great on the PK. He can also play on your second PP if needed.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
No way, IMO. If Shero's gonna decide to move one of the two it's DJ no question. Staal's just too good and too PO proven to move for DJ, not to mention how much Shero loves him.

It might, however, force DB to look into Staal in the top 6 or moving DJ to the wing.

I really wouldn't mind moving Sid to wing for the first little while after he's back to ease him into things, like the used to do w/ Lemieux.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Sid - Staal - TDL winger
Duper - DJ - Kennedy
I had these thoughts in my head, and wanted to start a thread last night, but never happened. This seems like a good place now though.

My thinking was if (when?) Sid returns:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jeffrey - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Staal - TK

Currently, seems likely HCDB would slide Sullivan back into that open spot (again, assuming Crosby returns, and Kunitz is moved to play with him) next to Geno.

Can DJ fill that role? Sullivan, IMO, was great early, setting up other guys. But that was a short, early period. That last 2 months have been average to below average.
DJ at least brings some little things that Sullivan doesn't, though his playmaking falls short of what Sullivan could provide.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boocock View Post
He's doing fine on the 4th line. Right now, that doesn't mean squat for the 3rd line, let alone the 2nd (or 1st when Sid returns). He had some residual chemistry with Jeffrey from playing on the same W-B/S team (although I don't know how much they played together), so a few short shifts a game of Tangradi - Vitale - Jeffrey after the PK, when Dupers is tired as a result of his PK time (meaning he wouldn't go out with Jeffrey) is not the worst thing the team could do.

But yeah, right now, he's getting minutes and, frankly, he's taking advantage of them as best he can. He gets better every game.

he isn't very good at defense. definitely the worst of our potential 4th line options.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:03 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boocock View Post

That doesn't meaning anything for Line 3 or that which Line will not be mentioned (since the idea of mentioning is so absurd at this point).
Yeah, I'm sorry I have to disagree here. He's awful, he is soft as charmin defensively, he can't keep up with guys 1 on 1, he can't win fights, he turns the puck over, To me, he has no redeeming qualities. I'm okay with him getting more minutes only to showcase him for another team, but honestly, if teams ARE watching, his trade value is going down significantly.