HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geoff Molson guilty of incompetence?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
  #51
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
There aren't 21000 fans willing to spend hundreds of dollars at the games. The seats are getting emptier by the game, and crowd is getting quieter by the game.
Must be fun to make all these assumptions when you don't even live in the country, never mind the city.
*i'm special, i'm not a sheep bla bla bla*
Pardon me?

I'm not going to be spoken down to by someone from Montreal when 99% of the ****ing idiot Hab fans in this community are from Montreal.

HabsByTheBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
  #52
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,903
vCash: 500
"Chill out."

- Carey Price


Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:30 PM
  #53
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
"Chill out."

- Carey Price

1909 is correct, the season's awash, we still have a BIG goalie for the next 10 years.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
  #54
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Pardon me?

I'm not going to be spoken down to by someone from Montreal when 99% of the ****ing idiot Hab fans in this community are from Montreal.
? spoken down? poster i quoted said 21000 fans are spending money at the bell center when we are not in po position, and as someone from montreal i clarified that there are NOT a full house at the bell and they certainly are not spending much. working AT the bell center i can confirm that assumption is false and so can scalpers i talk to. i dont know where fans stupidity comes from

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  #55
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
? spoken down? poster i quoted said 21000 fans are spending money at the bell center when we are not in po position, and as someone from montreal i clarified that there are NOT a full house at the bell and they certainly are not spending much. working AT the bell center i can confirm that assumption is false and so can scalpers i talk to. i dont know where fans stupidity comes from
Average attendance is something like 20,600, so it's hardly like there's 5,000 tickets unsold every night.

You pulled rank and I resent that as a non-Canadian Habs fan.

HabsByTheBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:49 PM
  #56
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think the course of the season might have been different if Geoff Molson had been a bit smarter when JM has been fired saying the coaching staff situation would be reevaluated in the summer and that the french factor would be very important.. He basically said Conney had no chance to come back as the head coach next season removing any credibility, grip or power Conney could have on his guys.. I know there was alot of pressure from politicians and journalists concerning the matter but to me Geoff cracked under pressure and sent a really bad message from his position.. Im not trying to excuse our guys cause if the leadership was better, they would have passed through the storm, but it was certainly not the smartest statement made by a president of the Habs, I doubt Boivin would have put his team in trouble like this..
The dumb thing to do was not to come out and say they'd do it right next time. It was the fact they messed it up in the first place.

Problem is they hired a rookie uni-lingual coach with no special skill or talent. If it had been Carlisle.. maybe the pill would have been easier to swallow. But Cunneyworth ? Come the **** on. Plus the guy is an idiot. Ran one of the previously best PP down to last spot, Gomez/Kaberle in the SO, Blunden on the first line, Subban in the stands than 25 min the next game, etc. The guy is in over his head. Horrible coach. He failed in his only assignment to run the PP and we decided to make him head coach despite the fact he doesn't speak french while we were about to go on a million road games trip ? What the **** kind of dumb management is that.

The mistake was for Molson to agree to that decision in the first place. The conference only compounded the problem a little bit, but the huge mistake was done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd love to have a President or Owner come out and insult all the moronic fans, or people with agendas, like the ones protesting.
Say things like ''we bought this team so we can build a winning dynasty again, and if it means having a guy speaking english only, so be it. We will hire the best hockey person available, at every position''.

I don't see why they have to respect fans that aren't really respecting the organization in the first place.
Wow

I suppose that person is Cunneyworth ? Oh boy that was a good one. Oh wait you weren't joking..

Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I doubt very much that Boivin was the main decider behind the Gauthier hire. That has Gainey written all over it.

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that Boivin never ever meddled in hockey decisions. He did his part really well, and his part had very little to do with hockey. Gillett wanted to increase the value of the team and he hired exactly the right man for the job. If I had been Molson, I'd have let Boivin stay there and given myself some other president title. But I don't really care that much because the loss of Boivin doesn't really affect hockey directly.


Last edited by Des Louise: 01-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
  #57
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
The 'drama queens' tend to be fans from the good ol' days when there were 6 - 12 teams, and the Habs were dominant, so anything less than a dynasty is considered futility. Habs fans in general are not happy unless there are Cups. I guess overall this is a good thing, but it also makes people jaded and bitter over time, making them miserable and unhappy towards the team. Although I wish the team and organization be more successful, I try to be realistic, and realize mistakes will happen, and just try to enjoy whatever comes. At least there is always drama and stories. I also know that there will never be a dynasty, and probably not even back to back cups for this franchise. But that isn't the case for the Habs, but for every team. There hasn't been a dynasty since the oilers. The wings have been the most successful franchise for the last 20 years and they haven't achieved what the great dynasties achieved before them. It's just the ways things are going to be. In this NHL, 8th place has as much a chance as 1st place, that's parity for you. I think this next few weeks will be fun, nop matter what happens.
Totally the opposite. I was lucky enough to witness all those good years from the late 60s through the 70s, and I have no problem accepting that times have changed. I've adjusted my expectations to reflect 2012, not 1975. Today's NHL is not built for dynasties, it's built to prevent them. Obviously I want the Habs to win their 25th Cup, but with 30 teams all separated by slim margins of talent and goals, vaulting over the other 29 teams is harder than ever. All the talent and coaching in the world guarantees you'll contend, nothing more. I'll be happy once the Habs are back amongst those contending teams. If they don't win the Cup then, well, at least I'll be satisfied knowing that players and management did their best and we iced the best team we could.

The good 'ol days were great and I was lucky to live through 'em, but the game has moved on, and so have I.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
  #58
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The dumb thing to do was not to come out and say they'd do it right next time. It was the fact they messed it up in the first place.

Problem is they hired a rookie uni-lingual coach with no special skill or talent. If it had been Carlisle.. maybe the pill would have been easier to swallow. But Cunneyworth ? Come the **** on. Plus the guy is an idiot. Ran one of the previously best PP down to last spot, Gomez/Kaberle in the SO, Blunden on the first line, Subban in the stands than 25 min the next game, etc. The guy is in over his head. Horrible coach. He failed in his only assignment to run the PP and we decided to make him head coach despite the fact he doesn't speak french while we were about to go on a million road games trip ? What the **** kind of dumb management is that.

The mistake was for Molson to agree to that decision in the first place. The conference only compounded the problem a little bit, but the huge mistake was done already.



Wow

I suppose that person is Cunneyworth ? Oh boy that was a good one. Oh wait you weren't joking..

Damn.



I doubt very much that Boivin was the main decider behind the Gauthier hire. That has Gainey written all over it.

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that Boivin never ever meddled in hockey decisions. He did his part really well, and his part had very little to do with hockey. Gillett wanted to increase the value of the team and he hired exactly the right man for the job. If I had been Molson, I'd have let Boivin stay there and given myself some other president title. But I don't really care that much because the loss of Boivin doesn't really affect hockey directly.
there crafting another one for us

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331125

Quote:
8/22/2010 11:07:15 AM

Patrick Boivin, the son of Montreal Canadiens president and CEO Pierre Boivin, has been named the club's director of hockey operations.

General Manager Pierre Gauthier made the change as part of his restructuring plans for the club's front office

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
  #59
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,897
vCash: 500
While molson probably could have handled a few things a bit better, I dont know if there was anything he could do to save this season. Its too early to charge him of incompetence.

However, one thing I wonder about is that it seems gauthier is still able to make deals, and therefore, it is very possible that molson will not clean house with management. If he is still planning to fire gauthier at the end of the year, then he should not allow gauthier to put his fingerprints all over the team at the deadline. I guess there is also the possibility that molson is increasingly intervening into the player transactions, and gauthier is just the puppet until the rest of the season.

I just cant wait for this season to end.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
  #60
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Totally the opposite. I was lucky enough to witness all those good years from the late 60s through the 70s, and I have no problem accepting that times have changed. I've adjusted my expectations to reflect 2012, not 1975. Today's NHL is not built for dynasties, it's built to prevent them. Obviously I want the Habs to win their 25th Cup, but with 30 teams all separated by slim margins of talent and goals, vaulting over the other 29 teams is harder than ever. All the talent and coaching in the world guarantees you'll contend, nothing more. I'll be happy once the Habs are back amongst those contending teams. If they don't win the Cup then, well, at least I'll be satisfied knowing that players and management did their best and we iced the best team we could.

The good 'ol days were great and I was lucky to live through 'em, but the game has moved on, and so have I.
There used to be only one dynasty at a time.

In today's NHL, there are 2-3 at the same time. NJ, Detroit, Colorado were modern day dynasties.

When people speak of getting back on top, that's what they mean.

BUT, times have changed since some more. The new teams that could have gone down that pat are Chicago and Pittsburgh however Chicago made some terrible cap decisions and ****ed up and Pittsburgh has had incredibly bad luck with injuries to key players.

In truth, no one expects the habs to win 4 cups in a row. They certainly expect excellence in the regular season however. That's all you can expect. Over the course of 82 games, an excellent team will show its true colors. Then they have a shot at success in the playoffs. They might lose once there, but finishing 6th to 10th only shows mediocrity. If you're happy with that that's fine but I don't think you can say those who aren't are being unreasonable.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:35 PM
  #61
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,084
vCash: 500
isnt decisive enough, lets the likes of Gainey run the operations while he plays president. Should have never allowed Boivin to hire PG, especially when a guy like Yzerman was out there. I mean not to even interview him is a joke. Then Boivins kid is hired and has a promotion. Nepotism at its best. Everyone trying to keep their jobs and hiring their buddies, Molson sitting there and drinking the koolaid. Lets see what he does at the end of the season

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
  #62
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
isnt decisive enough, lets the likes of Gainey run the operations while he plays president. Should have never allowed Boivin to hire PG, especially when a guy like Yzerman was out there. I mean not to even interview him is a joke. Then Boivins kid is hired and has a promotion. Nepotism at its best. Everyone trying to keep their jobs and hiring their buddies, Molson sitting there and drinking the koolaid. Lets see what he does at the end of the season
I like how you absolve Gainey and place blame at Boivin's feet when clearly Gainey picked his own guy to replace him and Boivin likely had nothing to do with any of that.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
  #63
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Average attendance is something like 20,600, so it's hardly like there's 5,000 tickets unsold every night.

You pulled rank and I resent that as a non-Canadian Habs fan.
attendance is based on tickets sold not on how many people there actually is at the game...

and tickets sold does includes ones from scalpers and ones from Corp (usually given as gifts to employees or clients)...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
  #64
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I like how you absolve Gainey and place blame at Boivin's feet when clearly Gainey picked his own guy to replace him and Boivin likely had nothing to do with any of that.
I didnt absolve Gainey of anything, where the **** did i say that? He probably pushed for PG so he could pull the strings. Technically, as president, Boivin has to make that call and he allowed it to happen. Molson not to ruffle anyones feathers just went along with the plan.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  #65
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,296
vCash: 500
- fire Gauthier now and the coach becomes even more lame duck and the players interpret it completely as throwing in the towel (as do the fans) thus keeping up the charade)

- keep him on and run the risk of him making the wrong moves - before he inevitably gets fired in this spring

so we're left with Molson trying to keep up the 'illusion'' that we'll make it by keeping things status quo BUT allowing Gauthier to make minimal moves or canning him and placing the coach in even more of a predicament with a nod to the players that the season is done

damned if he does damned if he doesn't

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
  #66
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
There aren't 21000 fans willing to spend hundreds of dollars at the games. The seats are getting emptier by the game, and crowd is getting quieter by the game.
Must be fun to make all these assumptions when you don't even live in the country, never mind the city.
*i'm special, i'm not a sheep bla bla bla*
Nice.

HFBoards rules prevent me from telling you what I think about people like you.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
  #67
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Nice.

HFBoards rules prevent me from telling you what I think about people like you.
Agreed. Comment was total bs.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
  #68
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Average attendance is something like 20,600, so it's hardly like there's 5,000 tickets unsold every night.

You pulled rank and I resent that as a non-Canadian Habs fan.
Us non Quebec living fans don't deserve to have an equal say, we weren't born there, so our opinions aren't as meaningful. The habs represent the culture of Quebec and if you weren't born here bla bla bla.

Edit: Some Quebec fans seem to be the root of many of the problems. I've yet to see a protest in Northern NB about the English coach. lol


Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 01-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
  #69
Skarjak
Registered User
 
Skarjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Can't deny that people in Québec, and espcially Montréal, contribute more money to the team than you.

It's the Montréal Canadiens guys...

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:50 PM
  #70
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Us non Quebec living fans don't deserve to have an equal say, we weren't born there, so our opinions aren't as meaningful. The habs represent the culture of Quebec and if you weren't born here bla bla bla.

Edit: Some Quebec fans seem to be the root of many of the problems. I've yet to see a protest in Northern NB about the English coach. lol
Incredible the amount of ignorance surrounding this team.

Go Habs Go

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:52 PM
  #71
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Us non Quebec living fans don't deserve to have an equal say, we weren't born there, so our opinions aren't as meaningful. The habs represent the culture of Quebec and if you weren't born here bla bla bla.

Edit: Some Quebec fans seem to be the root of many of the problems. I've yet to see a protest in Northern NB about the English coach. lol
was really chose to shed a few tears...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
  #72
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
I was not a fan of the JM firing and the Cunney after-math was/is ridiculous... I thought JM should stay on as coach until the off-season so that a more orderly transition could be done. Also would have liked for Molson to simply move JM from coach to GM - I have more faith in Martin as GM than PG although to be fair he hasn't done anything too bad yet ( outside of the coaching debacle ).

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:59 PM
  #73
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
I had a really bad feeling about Molson firing Boivin. The man was a genius, and he really understood the fans. Plus, owners who get involved with their teams always end up doing more harm than good.

Now he's presiding over a completely disastrous season. I miss Gillette...
well, he understood how to sell a lot of stuff to people who wouldn't otherwise buy it. He made the language fans (who I didn't realize were a distinct faction until recently) content just by existing. He turned the logo 90 degrees to make it into an emoticon. Gainey is the one who actually brought back winning (I know, sounds silly, but it's true).

He was good at what he did, but I don't think it in any way helped the actual team's success. We had/have enough fans who just wanna win. The fanfare is gonna be there if we do. I'm not too interested in a president who panders to fans. I'd rather one who makes us win. In Raleigh or Nashville or Anaheim, I can see the role of Boivin being important. Not here so much in the grand scheme of things.

Gillette was awesome, but then again, we were winning too. Imagine the outcry if the AMERICAN owner of the Habs was the "reason" behind the disastrous season.

Molson is a smart man. He'll make the right decisions. We just have to practice patience. It's the impatience that forces him to write ******** press statements and to make bad organizational policies.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
  #74
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
well, he understood how to sell a lot of stuff to people who wouldn't otherwise buy it. He made the language fans (who I didn't realize were a distinct faction until recently) content just by existing. He turned the logo 90 degrees to make it into an emoticon. Gainey is the one who actually brought back winning (I know, sounds silly, but it's true).

He was good at what he did, but I don't think it in any way helped the actual team's success. We had/have enough fans who just wanna win. The fanfare is gonna be there if we do. I'm not too interested in a president who panders to fans. I'd rather one who makes us win. In Raleigh or Nashville or Anaheim, I can see the role of Boivin being important. Not here so much in the grand scheme of things.

Gillette was awesome, but then again, we were winning too. Imagine the outcry if the AMERICAN owner of the Habs was the "reason" behind the disastrous season.

Molson is a smart man. He'll make the right decisions. We just have to practice patience. It's the impatience that forces him to write ******** press statements and to make bad organizational policies.
more like he wasnt prepared at all.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
  #75
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
was really chose to shed a few tears...
common man. again? you're basically confirming that you (part of the language police) DON'T actually care about non-French speaking Habs fans. Why don't you shed a couple, you could afford to not be so uptight.

See that other team we're playing tonight? The "english" one. Well all of us Habs fans hate them. NOUS sommes Canadiens.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.