HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
cleangene

vCash: 500
The Captain to be a guest on 102.5 near the top of the hour.....think he'll make a major announcement ??? (yeah, right).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Anything noteworthy?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Anything noteworthy?
Didn't hear it ... Haven't seen it captured by Forechecker yet either.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

They said he was coming on but I listened and never heard him. Could have missed him though. Caught a Pekka interview.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:25 PM
cleangene

As expected, NOTHING AT ALL concerning the future. Willie D. and he joked around at the start about their fantasy football teams, (Webs blamed J. Cooper for bad trades) then he mentioned how tough the crackhawks would be tomorrow night, then gave props to Sutes for making the all-star team. As it concluded, he was asked if he was going to be in the "Hardest Shot Contest" again; his reply, "this year I'm going to let Sutes substitute...well, maybe not".

Old
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
orcasfan

I do sympathize with you guys. It's a sh**ty situation. But I do wonder how realistic some of your expectations really are. The Preds have a salary "cap" of just over 49 mil. Do you actually think that management could justify spending over 21 mil on just 3 players, without hugely increasing their overall payroll? And when are the owners going to "commit" to putting more money into the team? If they intended to do that, surely the summer was the time? I'm sorry, but from this distance, I just don't see the evidence of that commitment.

And, also...what other team, even those with high salary caps, can really afford to spend 14 mil on 2 D men?

orcasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcasfan View Post
I do sympathize with you guys. It's a sh**ty situation. But I do wonder how realistic some of your expectations really are. The Preds have a salary "cap" of just over 49 mil. Do you actually think that management could justify spending over 21 mil on just 3 players, without hugely increasing their overall payroll? And when are the owners going to "commit" to putting more money into the team? If they intended to do that, surely the summer was the time? I'm sorry, but from this distance, I just don't see the evidence of that commitment.

And, also...what other team, even those with high salary caps, can really afford to spend 14 mil on 2 D men?
Thanks for the sympathy

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

This exactly what we are going to be hearing for the rest of our days if we don't sign these two guys.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
This exactly what we are going to be hearing for the rest of our days if we don't sign these two guys.
Pretty much.

No one has said this yet, so I'll go ahead.

Orcasfan, our management has said we will be close to a cap ceiling team next year. I don't blame you at all for not hearing it, the media didn't advertise it much. We have been told the money is there for 21 million on the big three, keeping all of our assets, and getting another piece or two. Attendance and corporate sponsorship are way up, and we have some cash now. We can't go crazy, but yes, we do have some cash.

If Weber and Suter leave, its not money. It's either they don't want to play here or they have outrageous demands. The money is available (assuming we haven't been lied to.).

Like I said, I certainly don't blame you for thinking that. its been popular opinion for years, and until we see us as a cap ceiling team, I won't believe this high payroll deal either. But management has said the cash is there.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:47 AM
glenngineer

I'm going to ask a simple question. If Suter truly wants to leave, why would he have his agent negotiating with Poile on an extension? This is not to slam anyone who thinks he wants to leave but if he were truly out the door, Suter's agent wouldn't be talking to Suter, Suter and his agent would say, we'll talk after the seasons done. I know he should at least listen to offers but guys who want out of their current situation wouldn't be in serious negotiations with the club they're currently playing with. Just my 2 cents. This came to me laying in bed this morning and the mind churning.

I have no idea what Suter wants to do or not. He may want out, he may not. I just thought I'd post my thoughts on something that hasn't really been discussed from this angle and if it has, sorry for the horse beating.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:52 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm going to ask a simple question. If Suter truly wants to leave, why would he have his agent negotiating with Poile on an extension? This is not to slam anyone who thinks he wants to leave but if he were truly out the door, Suter's agent wouldn't be talking to Suter, Suter and his agent would say, we'll talk after the seasons done. I know he should at least listen to offers but guys who want out of their current situation wouldn't be in serious negotiations with the club they're currently playing with. Just my 2 cents. This came to me laying in bed this morning and the mind churning.

I have no idea what Suter wants to do or not. He may want out, he may not. I just thought I'd post my thoughts on something that hasn't really been discussed from this angle and if it has, sorry for the horse beating.
this is why I keep saying I think Suter truly hasn't made up his mind. With Poile saying that all thats needed is for Suter to sign his name, that says to me that the actual money has been settled upon, now its just up to Suter if he wants to stay here or not.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

But if someone did want to leave, but wanted to win the PR battle and not look like he wanted to leave, wouldn't that person tell his agent to have periodic conversations with the GM, make nebulous demands about team improvement, and basically stall until the season ends? All the while the player could publicly say he wants to say and that his agent is in communication with the GM, and that hopefully, "something will get worked out".

Basically exactly what's happened over the course of the last 8 months.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
But if someone did want to leave, but wanted to win the PR battle and not look like he wanted to leave, wouldn't that person tell his agent to have periodic conversations with the GM, make nebulous demands about team improvement, and basically stall until the season ends? All the while the player could publicly say he wants to say and that his agent is in communication with the GM, and that hopefully, "something will get worked out".

Basically exactly what's happened over the course of the last 8 months.
By making it seem like a deal is possible, I think Suter does more potential damage in any 'PR battle' (if he even cares about that), than if he just did nothing and patiently waited for his contract to end. I think most fans see 'tried, but couldn't get a new deal done' as basically the same as 'didn't want to get a new deal done' anyway. If he gave us false hope, he'd just be turning the screws tighter on us...I don't see the point.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If Suter (or Weber) does walk, I hope Poile comes out and says, flat out, "we offered Ryan a _ year deal worth _ million dollars, and he didnt take it"

As long as we offer him 7x7 or more, there's no way he can win the PR battle then.....

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I hope so too.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
orcasfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Pretty much.

No one has said this yet, so I'll go ahead.

Orcasfan, our management has said we will be close to a cap ceiling team next year. I don't blame you at all for not hearing it, the media didn't advertise it much. We have been told the money is there for 21 million on the big three, keeping all of our assets, and getting another piece or two. Attendance and corporate sponsorship are way up, and we have some cash now. We can't go crazy, but yes, we do have some cash.

If Weber and Suter leave, its not money. It's either they don't want to play here or they have outrageous demands. The money is available (assuming we haven't been lied to.).

Like I said, I certainly don't blame you for thinking that. its been popular opinion for years, and until we see us as a cap ceiling team, I won't believe this high payroll deal either. But management has said the cash is there.
Have you guys looked at the team's financials at all? According to the Forbes article that came out last month, the Preds losses last year were (at least) 7.5 mil.(and that's with that deep playoff run!). And that's without figuring in taxes or the interest they have to pay on their debt. You do know that the team owes 75 mil, don't you?

So, given that situation, where are the owners going to come up with another 15 mil, which is what it would take to get close to the real cap? Plus, apparently, they have plans to upgrade Bridgestone arena (at what cost?). Maybe the reason the media hasn't advertised the "promise" of management is because they just don't believe them?
By the way, here is the link to that article: www.forbes.com/teams/nashville-predators/

orcasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Have you guys looked at the team's financials at all? According to the Forbes article that came out last month, the Preds losses last year were (at least) 7.5 mil.(and that's with that deep playoff run!). And that's without figuring in taxes or the interest they have to pay on their debt. You do know that the team owes 75 mil, don't you?

So, given that situation, where are the owners going to come up with another 15 mil, which is what it would take to get close to the real cap? Plus, apparently, they have plans to upgrade Bridgestone arena (at what cost?). Maybe the reason the media hasn't advertised the "promise" of management is because they just don't believe them?
By the way, here is the link to that article: www.forbes.com/teams/nashville-predators/
except that isn't true at all.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:

'Posting' is out of date and does not seem to account for revenue sharing. Date listed is 'November 2011.' Since then another member has joined the ownership group, renovations are complete, corporate sponsorships are way up, attendance is also higher than it has been since the first few years. These 'valuations' are notoriously unreliable as well.

Do you think some writer using 'the Google' knew more about the team's status back in November than those of us who follow it daily down here do now?

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Forbes valuation is flawed at best ... in years where the audited numbers show a profit, Forbes reports a loss. The Forbes graphs show profits in years where the team lost millions.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
cleangene

I know it doesn't qualify as being CUP favorites, but can't #20 and #6 see from this recent stretch that management seem to be pointing towards being a major contender?? What in the world can they (especially Sutes) be waiting for??????

Old
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I know it doesn't qualify as being CUP favorites, but can't #20 and #6 see from this recent stretch that management seem to be pointing towards being a major contender?? What in the world can they (especially Sutes) be waiting for??????
A game changing forward

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Legionnaire11

I keep waiting for the same-old-same-old from the Preds. Expecting them to lose big games, come out flat in key situations... and they keep winning. This team is different from previous teams. It's Wilson, Smith, Hali, Ellis, Josi bringing a young punch and Weber, Suter, Legwand, Erat, SK, Toots, Horns and Fisher feeding on it with Rinne being the ultimate weapon.

When you think they're down, they're not. When you think they're going to let you down, they don't. It can happen this year, with or without making a trade it can happen. And then how could Weber and Suter walk out on a team that wins it all? Am I crazy, maybe, but who is going to stop this team from that accomplishment other than themselves?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I keep waiting for the same-old-same-old from the Preds. Expecting them to lose big games, come out flat in key situations... and they keep winning. This team is different from previous teams. It's Wilson, Smith, Hali, Ellis, Josi bringing a young punch and Weber, Suter, Legwand, Erat, SK, Toots, Horns and Fisher feeding on it with Rinne being the ultimate weapon.

When you think they're down, they're not. When you think they're going to let you down, they don't. It can happen this year, with or without making a trade it can happen. And then how could Weber and Suter walk out on a team that wins it all? Am I crazy, maybe, but who is going to stop this team from that accomplishment other than themselves?
I'm starting to think that way too. We all have been saying that we're going nowhere without a game-changing forward...that we can't possibly sustain the pace we've been winning at...yet, we have. I don't really know how, but we have. I doubt anyone is going to say we don't still need a game-changing forward, but we certainly don't need one as desperately as I and a lot of others had thought.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I have no doubt that we can make the playoffs as a 5 or 6 seed, maybe even 4 with our current roster.

Do we have enough scoring to make noise in the playoffs, though? I'm not so sure.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
AEM6729

Didn't want to hijack the Parise thread with this...Singleton had mentioned that Minnesota would be making a hard push for Parise. For some reason (don't know if there's anything behind it), people seem to think Suter might want to go to Minnesota as a UFA as well. The thought of both of them ending up there with Liarpold...especially Suter...makes me sick.

Do y'all think that Suter would have any pause in going to a team owned by Leipold? He was here for the whole fire sale nonsense. Maybe it left a bad taste in his mouth and he doesn't want to play for a team with an owner he can't trust?

Just curious about people's thoughts on that.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote