HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan McDonagh (1/23: Skating in practice; only had wind knocked out of him)

Old
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Plainview View Post
Bruins fan just popping in to say I hope McDonough is okay

That was not a smart hit by Ference. He's usually not a dirty player and I doubt he was trying to to hurt him. Still though, it was reckless

I have to say as well, that Ranger team is damn good! I'm really starting to like that team and I appreciate that most of you Ranger fans aren't overreacting to the hit. Pretty funny that most of the people that are are Canuck and Habs fans.

Again hope he's alright. Shame that had to marr what was otherwise a pretty awesome game today. We got at least 3 more to go this year. Looking forward to them
Thanks for stopping by with the nice comments Nice to have other fans come here as well and not to just troll or whatever.

Hopefully its us two in the Conference finals, that would be an amazing series.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:

That was not a smart hit by Ference. He's usually not a dirty player and I doubt he was trying to to hurt him. Still though, it was reckless

I have to say as well, that Ranger team is damn good! I'm really starting to like that team and I appreciate that most of you Ranger fans aren't overreacting to the hit. Pretty funny that most of the people that are are Canuck and Habs fans.

Again hope he's alright. Shame that had to marr what was otherwise a pretty awesome game today. We got at least 3 more to go this year. Looking forward to them
Thanks for the kind words

I agree that there was no mal intent on Ference's part, but it was extremely dangerous to shove a guy from behind that hard right near the boards.

McDonagh's a tough kid. He went into the boards really hard, but I hope he just got rattled.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Thanks for the kind words

I agree that there was no mal intent on Ference's part, but it was extremely dangerous to shove a guy from behind that hard right near the boards.

McDonagh's a tough kid. He went into the boards really hard, but I hope he just got rattled.
I think the thing you see in the replay is Ference's right forearm shoving McDonagh into the boards upon impact. That's what the league doesn't want to see on a defenseless player in that situation.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:13 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:

I'm not sure but looking at the replay it appears as if ference kind of freezes after the hit as if he was concerned about McDonough. I don't think any of these players want to hurt each other. It's a fast game and when you have to make a decision in a split second sometimes you mms the wrong one.
On another note, what a great game. Sucks that that hit is taking away from one of the best games I've seen all year.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
if mcd didnt get a concussion from cookes elbow last year, it give me alotta hope he doesnt have one here

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think the thing you see in the replay is Ference's right forearm shoving McDonagh into the boards upon impact. That's what the league doesn't want to see on a defenseless player in that situation.
Yup. That's exactly what I see. Ference had ample opportunity to realize that he shouldn't shove a player in McDonagh's position like that. Very dangerous move and I think Shanny will agree with this sentiment.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:18 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
He didn't look like he was favoring his shoulder when he skated off the ice. Hopefully he was just winded.
It seemed like as soon as he went down, he grabbed between his legs for his junk actually.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:28 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
if mcd didnt get a concussion from cookes elbow last year, it give me alotta hope he doesnt have one here
every hit/concussion is different. so even though he didn't get one last year (although the league was waay less strict on concussions, so who knows), it doesn't mean he doesn't have one now.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

The people defending Ference on the main board must be typing with braille keyboards. Honestly, how can you defend something like that? Then some people are saying Prust's board on Chara was as bad as this. I wonder about people sometimes, then I realize not everyone can look at things subjectively.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Here's hoping he "just" got the wind knocked out of him and nothing else...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Vin2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

His head never hit the boards (:45 seconds). His left shoulder protected his head from hitting the boards. He wasn't favoring his shoulder or his knee when he was skating off. When McDonagh was on ice,it looked like a left shoulder injury but he didn't favor his shoulder skating off the ice.
I also noticed as he was skating off, he shook his head pretty vigorously as if trying to work out a kink in his neck or shoulder. I don't think he'd have done that with a headache.

Vin2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Daniel Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
The people defending Ference on the main board must be typing with braille keyboards. Honestly, how can you defend something like that? Then some people are saying Prust's board on Chara was as bad as this. I wonder about people sometimes, then I realize not everyone can look at things subjectively.
Some of these people have become very defensive from all the over the top hate the Bruins get these days

And some are just dumb. What can you do?

Daniel Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Vin2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin2112 View Post
I also noticed as he was skating off, he shook his head pretty vigorously as if trying to work out a kink in his neck or shoulder. I don't think he'd have done that with a headache.
Btw, I don't mean the little twitch he gives in the vid I replied to. I remember seeing him give his head a really good shake later on during his skate to the dressing room. Anyone who recorded, please confirm.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
If a guy gets a concussion, they typically don't travel. So I THINK that's a sign it's not that.
That's a good point, but usually that's for air travel. Boston is a quick train ride back to NY, they may be taking amtrak as they usually do for games in Philly.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
That's a good point, but usually that's for air travel. Boston is a quick train ride back to NY, they may be taking amtrak as they usually do for games in Philly.
They are flying

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
flame away, but it looked like he was crying by the way his body moving while he was face down.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
flame away, but it looked like he was crying by the way his body moving while he was face down.
I wouldn't doubt it. Grown men cry when they get really ****ing hurt. It's just life.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
no way, it was a dive. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
What's wrong with crying when you get shoved like that into the boards in Hockey? I'd like to see you take that hit.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
It seemed like as soon as he went down, he grabbed between his legs for his junk actually.
Came back from the bar and this is what I thought happened. Groin first into the boards will have any grown man in tears.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Vin2112

Quote:
Lol, I think he had the wind knocked out of him and was breathing really fast and shallow to try and catch his breath.

Old
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Guys please, MCD was not crying... lol.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Stopping in from outside, any word or ideas what this injury was during the postgame? Head, back?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eco's bones

Quote:
Some of these people have become very defensive from all the over the top hate the Bruins get these days

And some are just dumb. What can you do?
Funny--we had a discussion a couple days ago about a key Rangers prospect Dylan McIlrath who freight trained another player up high in a recent WHL game. I like McIlrath's mean game--he's just about a defenseman's version of Milan Lucic--but IMO that was a bad hit and he deserves the suspension he's got.

I think Ference deserves one as well--the length of which may depend somewhat on whether or not McDonagh is concussed. I think if he is--it should be at least 5 games. I don't think Ference is particularly a dirty player--that sometimes these things do happen but when and if you're the perpetrator you need to be held accountable.

It was a real good game until that point. That really marred it in my eyes. Losing McDonagh for any length of time is going to hurt the Rangers badly. I read somewhere that he had over 30 minutes TOI in this game and he's been playing 25 minutes or more very regularly and is a +15. A really good player who should be one of the best D in the league in the next several years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'm not knocking the kid, I just have NEVER seen a professional hockey player cry on the ice before.

just an observation. That's all.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote