HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
The Caps need to see the Wizard about asking for the Tin man's heart. They need that more than players. Sure, we need a center and defense, but so do every other playoff fighting team. Time to face the fact we have to do with what we have and hope they find intensity. The guys playing their best hockey right now are the lower paid players and that says a ton. It appears they look at the schedule against teams like the Isles and figure they can take a break or night off. With the Canes last night I thought they had some chances, but Cam Ward played great. Against the Canes they did revert back to some old stuff like too many men and giving up too many short handed chances. Imo, they could fix their scoring if they shot did basic shooting. Ovechkin passed on a few plays where he had quality shot chances.

Go Caps!

Old
01-21-2012, 02:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ted: Why are we selling

GMGM: We're missing a top 5 center in the league and its best offensive defenseman. Also this draft is awesome and I'm a genius at drafting. If we do this we can compete for the next 10 years. Branding synergy refactoring leverage paradigm shift.

Ted: I don't know...

GMGM: MISSION CRITICAL FRAMEWORK DELIVERABLES CLOUD ENTERPRISE CONTENT MANAGEMENT

Ted: ok ok I'm in.
You forgot widgets, web 2.0

Old
01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You forgot widgets, web 2.0
He's saving that for the Schultz buyout

Old
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

For every trade you let me make, you get to punch 3 fans.

Sold!

Old
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Halpysback

Wish we'd go after Ballard now that his value's been submarined

Old
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Wish we'd go after Ballard now that his value's been submarined
why? he would be cheap for a reason. you think that coming to the caps would suddenly bring his game back at least to his contract level?

Old
01-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

GMGM: We're missing a top 5 center in the league and its best offensive defenseman. Also this draft is awesome and I'm a genius at drafting. If we do this we can compete for the next 10 years. Branding synergy refactoring leverage paradigm shift.

GMGM: MISSION CRITICAL FRAMEWORK DELIVERABLES CLOUD ENTERPRISE CONTENT MANAGEMENT

Working in corporate world, that was hilarious. Well played sir.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
why? he would be cheap for a reason. you think that coming to the caps would suddenly bring his game back at least to his contract level?
I'm thinking Wideman 2.0, with less offense and more hitting. His biggest problem is he needs at least 18-20 minutes a game to establish consistency, much like Beauchemin who was also atrocious with low minutes and 3rd pairing partners. With Hunter's insane emphasis on mobile two-way defensemen we could probably milk the best game out of him anyone can. Plus he can hit and blocks a ton of shots, which is vital for Hunter's system and I'd like Alzner to have to block less. If he costs something like Schultz and Ward (Canucks were really after him) I'm all for it. I see him as the same class of player as Bieksa, Meszaros, Wideman, Beauchemin, White, Brewer, Gilbert, Rozsival, Vlasic, Tyutin - capable of putting forth a solid 22 minutes a game if put in a situation where they're comfortable but team scapegoats otherwise.

Classic buy low on a decent player in a situation that doesn't fit him. I can't guarantee him finding his game here but I feel like there's an excellent chance he would.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-21-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
The Caps need to see the Wizard about asking for the Tin man's heart. They need that more than players. Sure, we need a center and defense, but so do every other playoff fighting team. Time to face the fact we have to do with what we have and hope they find intensity. The guys playing their best hockey right now are the lower paid players and that says a ton.

Go Caps!
I've really started to question this team's heart as well. Games like the Kings game a couple of weeks back, and Isles and 'Canes games really make you wonder whether these guys have the requisite amount of heart and character perservere through difficult times -- particularly injuries and the heightened intensity and toughness of the playoffs.

I'm not throwing in the towel on them -- I'm just starting to believe that the Montreal failure and the Tampa blow-out didn't just reflect a hot goalie or being out-coached, but that the group collectively lacks the intestinal fortitude and wilfullness needed to succeed in the face of adversity.

Really hope I'm wrong about this

Old
01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Atlas

Quote:

Haha! Well done. :-)

Old
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
I'm thinking Wideman 2.0, with less offense and more hitting. .
ballard has been a bust in vancouver. he was a good player on a bad team and under the pressure of a winning team, he has failed. wideman has always been wideman. he has his upside and his downside and his better situations are those where his upside gets to show more often.

ballard to me is more like eminger. trade for that contract and if the panthers ballard never returns, you are hosed. the caps need confident and successful players, not players struggling to recover their game. they have enough of that right now.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Halpysback

That's a pretty inaccurate oversimplification of what's been going on in Vancouver, but sure.

And Wideman has always been Wideman is gold. Yeah, the Wideman who was traded for a 40 goal scorer and was touted for Norris during Boston's monster year is the same Wideman who was run out of Boston a couple years later and got -300 in half a year in Florida and traded for less than table scraps. Which, again, is the same Wideman who got voted to the all star team and is near the top of the league in points for D while playing first pairing minutes. No difference at all.

What confident and successful defensemen that can play Hunter's system are available out there that wouldn't cost a Suter like return?

Old
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

You guys do realize that if Green ever gets healthy this season Wideman will immediately get injured. They're not allowed to be in the lineup together.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
txpd

ballard is a successful defenseman? he is a reclaimation project. maybe i am too conservative. i just remember how many people thought ballard was a big get for vancouver and how many thought bouwmeester was a big get for calgary. both are busts.

if ov scores 30 goals again next season, would you trade for him with the idea that he is really a 50 goal scorer?

Old
01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Capitlols

Ultimately we have offensive minded players trying to play a defense heavy system. I thought DH would instill his high tempo London system, not put even more emphasis on defense. He's coaching outside his comfort zone imo.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Halpysback

Striking gold on reclamation projects is one way to get ahead in this league. If you scout them well enough you can generally tell if they're really that bad or much better than their play indicates. Meszaros was getting whipped as hard if not harder in Tampa than Ballard is in Vancouver. Flyers trade for him and voila, another #2 defenseman who is signed at 4 a year til god knows when. Whitney looked like crap in Anaheim playing with Wisniewski, Oilers trade for him and he's a 1D all of a sudden. Brewer was more done than done and all of a sudden he's Tampa's #1D in their playoff run last year. Bruins trade for Dennis "no better than Shaone Morrisson" Seidenberg and suddenly have an all around #2 defenseman. Tons of examples at forward as well, like Bergenheim, Leino, Vrbata or Jokinen recently.

Watching Bouwmeester play you can tell that he has the most passive personality in the league. Obvious since he was in Florida. Changing teams won't do anything about that.

Ballard, on the other hand, is taking his scratches and low ice time in stride despite being pegged on the 3rd pairing from the day he set foot in Vancouver and dealing with injuries that required surgery for a whole year, which is pretty admirable considering far worse players *****ed up a ****storm over such things. He came in always being the flashy defenseman on his pairing, the guy who rushed the puck, made eye popping hip checks and epic shot blocks, and is now forced to play a John Erskine/Milan Jurcina role for his team. And you can see that he's really trying to change his game even though it doesn't suit him at all and would be like getting Schultz to be a puck rushing PMD. Instead of asking for a trade. All of this points me to the thought that in our system, which begs for mobile two-way players, he could consistently play at a level that on other teams would be considered above his head (I'm thinking #3), much like Wideman who is basically of the same case. Unless you think Wideman would be shining in Vancouver getting 12 minute a game with Andrew Alberts/Aaron Rome and Vancouver's 3rd/4th lines while asked to play mistake free defensive hockey. Maybe you do.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Red Dread

Olli Jokinen

Would he fill the 2nd line center role like I've been hearing everywhere? Or should we wait 'til next season for Kuzya (or put him on wing if we somehow acquire Jokinen).

Old
01-21-2012, 06:10 PM
txpd

not the kind of player that the caps need.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Halpysback

Also, Ovechkin is not a very good comparison. He's got a contract where if he plays at 50% of it he's 5 million overpaid. Ballard at 50% is 2 million overpaid and his contract doesn't run into the next millenium.

If Ovechkin is still a 30 goal scorer after next year and you can manage the contract, you look at him and evaluate if you think a change of scenery and your system/players can bring out the 50 goal scorer in him. Has he physically deteriorated? Do his linemates defer to him and provide support? Is the coach having him play the style that got him to the NHL or is he just supposed to shove his head up his ass and plug away like a Joel Ward? I'd think a team like Toronto or Edmonton with their offensive winger-based system and team speed would be all over it. Burke's taste for short contracts notwithstanding.

Also, we wouldn't be trading for Ballard as if he was a #3 defenseman. We'd be giving up little more than salary dumps on our end. That's the whole point.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
The Capitals have more than enough reclamation projects on their hands already.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Kuznetsov will be a winger regardless. Absolutely no interest in Olli Jokinen.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles

$4.2M isn't reclamation project money, especially considering his upside. I don't get the allure.

Maybe the players just aren't particularly coachable offensively. They certainly don't come across as particularly bright.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The Capitals have more than enough reclamation projects on their hands already.
Only Hendricks, Erskine and Wideman. Fedorov, Poti and BMo if you go back a bit earlier. None of them particularly disappointing during their time here. The rest were brought in as "good players".

I'm just saying where I'd rather have Schultz and Ward's money go. Which would be a realistic scenario that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Anything of value really.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Only Hendricks, Erskine and Wideman. The rest were brought in as "good players".
Reclamation projects from Boudreau's Capitals, I guess you could say. Either way obviously not the point. They are already saturated with underperforming and/or injury-riddled players with significant contracts. And Joel Ward.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
txpd

wideman lead nhl defensemen in ppg's last season. he was not a reclaimation project. the reclaimation projects i think he is talking about are ovechkin, semin, and green among others.

that was my point. so many of the caps most important players are struggling to find their game. you can add carlson to that. here you want to add another struggling defenseman to the caps top 4 d. it doesnt make sense.

like i said, what this team needs to add are players playing well with confidence in their game and their head screwed on straight.

Closed Thread