HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

March 26: JVR attended March 26 game, in walking boot (post #283)

Old
01-21-2012, 07:26 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Trying to be optimistic here, but the current injuries to Jagr and Briere give me hope. G's game has gotten completely stale and he's been over-thinking/trying due to Jagr's presence, and Briere has been almost a waste this season. Now G has a chance to find himself again, and Coots and Schenn, who have been outplaying Briere IMO (I love Briere, for the record), have an opportunity to step up WITHOUT Lavy hurting Briere's feelings (and you know how he loves his vets' feelings). I think this is a great opportunity, personally.
Thanks for saving me time, I was pretty much going to say the same thing. I've been hoping for the kids to get more ice time and with Briere and Jagr both out, it's their time to shine. And Bryz needs to step it up to the next level.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Knew he had a concussion when I saw it his face smacked right off the ice and he was dazed just getting his stick into the glove
He looked a bit like Crosby after the WC hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
We can not catch a break this season
A lot of teams are having injury problems, not just us. Pittsburgh has lost Crosby, Staal, Letang and Malkin for a ton of games. I heard on the radio today that Briere was the 33rd concussed player this season, which is nuts.

Last edited by MsWoof: 01-21-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
A lot of teams are having injury problems, not just us. Pittsburgh has lost Crosby, Stall, Letang and Malkin for a ton of games. I heard on the radio today that Briere was the 33rd concussed player this season, which is nuts.
That's 6% of the NHL in half a season.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:52 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Yea thats the one, I didn't see at first but he also gets kneed in the back of the head by the devil skating by after he gets hit. That's a crap non call too, the play had moved from him a while ago and he was tracking the puck in the corner when he got crosschecked in the back

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:56 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Yea thats the one, I didn't see at first but he also gets kneed in the back of the head by the devil skating by after he gets hit. That's a crap non call too, the play had moved from him a while ago and he was tracking the puck in the corner when he got crosschecked in the back
It feels like NHL is very concerns with the hits to the head....unless it's to to the head of the Flyer. Butler's elbow on JVR, Staios' on Talbot and now Briere.

Or am I just overreacting?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
2minutes4slashing

Bettman and the powers to be wanted this game to be lightning fast, Bettman and his powers to be wanted to eliminate the Red Line and they did , this game is too fast right now , someone's fixin to get seriously crippled upstairs beyond repair one of these days

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Looks like Jagr's groin is becoming chronic. If that's the case then we shouldn't esign him next season.
Forty yrs old next yr. Probably shouldnt resign him regardless. At that age his performance will fall off a cliff, injury or otherwise.

Plus, he will constantly get these nagging bumps. It'll be a miracle if Jagr can play at 100 percent by the time the POs roll around.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:09 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
You can get a concussion just from whiplash. I don't know if that's what happened, but it's possible.
Absolutely can, and many concussions are NOT from getting hit in the head directly.....The brain is literally floating in fluid in your skull.and is attached at the back at the brain stem....An abrubt whiplash motion can certainly cause the brain severe trauma..Better helmets will not stop some type concussions, but can help certainly for direct head shot type incidents....

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:12 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Bettman and the powers to be wanted this game to be lightning fast, Bettman and his powers to be wanted to eliminate the Red Line and they did , this game is too fast right now , someone's fixin to get seriously crippled upstairs beyond repair one of these days
I agree with this....The game must be slowed down, and the 3rd man in rule needs to be done away with as well.Enforcers did a great job at taking care of folks who took liberty with head shots etc back in the day.....Enforcers did a much better job than Refs or fines do in my opinion....

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
It feels like NHL is very concerns with the hits to the head....unless it's to to the head of the Flyer. Butler's elbow on JVR, Staios' on Talbot and now Briere.

Or am I just overreacting?
Why on earth would they pick one team's concussions to ignore?

Old
01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Why on earth would they pick one team's concussions to ignore?
I do not believe in conspiracy theories either, but there were no whistles or supplemental action on any of this hits.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Flyersfan139

Gahh hopefully its not a bad concussion for Briere.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:14 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Hopefully they put couts in the second line center spot, until he gets a concussion too.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The outer shell of helmets should not be plastic of any kind. Make it out of Kevlar or whatever kind of fiberglass Hackva is using in their goalie masks. This would take the burden of having the helmet keep it's shape off of the foam inserts and thus allow them to be softer. Helmets also need to fit tighter and have two different hardnesses of padding. The padding the player's head touches should be the softer of the two levels of padding. This would mean a player's head decelerates more gradually upon the helmet hitting the ground (or accelerates slower when something hits his head), which means less severe concussions. They might as well put some sort of frontal protection on them a la facemasks in football.

A helmet like this would cost $500, be uncomfortable, heavy, annoy the **** out of players and stop lots of concussions. They should so it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

These concussions are scary. This season they have run rampant and it's not even at the ASB. I hate seeing players go out like this, especially Briere.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:26 AM
rafman522

Quick question when people talk about the red line are they talking about to lane passing? if not what are they reffering to?

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafman522 View Post
Quick question when people talk about the red line are they talking about to lane passing? if not what are they reffering to?
I think you might mean two line pass??? It would slow the game down... I think a lot of injuries are coming from careless hits though. Elbows and hits to head. A lot of the onus is on the player to take care of these types of plays. Though the game is fast, the collisions are harder.

In the old NHL you couldn't pass the puck from behind your blue line over the red line or it was whistled down for a two line pass. I might be missing something here though?? Not about the play but what your asking?

Are you new to the game of hockey?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:32 AM
rafman522

Yeah, hopped on after The Olympic Game, I read somewhere about Taking out the "Red Line" I think Lindros Mentioned something about it after the alumni game? Is the two lane passes infraction a possibility for slowing down the game

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:49 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

By taking the red line out, it allowed players to skate with more speed out of their defensive zone and set up the "home run pass" through the neutral zone which set them up for getting drilled while their skating at a faster pace than before. It also requires defensive players to play at a faster pace, therefore making the game faster overall. Hence, the game is faster and more dangerous. Interestingly enough, it seems some (obviously not all) of these concussions (i.e. Briere's and Pronger's) have little to nothing to do with the speed of the game. So...... yeah. Who the **** knows?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Forty yrs old next yr. Probably shouldnt resign him regardless. At that age his performance will fall off a cliff, injury or otherwise.

Plus, he will constantly get these nagging bumps. It'll be a miracle if Jagr can play at 100 percent by the time the POs roll around.
lol so he will fall off only cuz he hit number 40

it takes just month back where everyone was cheering for him, how good sign it was, how everyone envy us Jagr.
what did it take? groin injury and rushing it back, few games where he didnt shine, and suddenly everyone throwing him over the boat.

Now ill just wait for him to heal up, show he is still someone on the ice and to shut you up.
mark my words

Last edited by SnS: 01-22-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:47 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post

it takes just month back where everyone was cheering for him, how good sign it was, how everyone envy us Jagr.
what did it take? groin injury and rushing it back, few games where he didnt shine, and suddenly everyone throwing him over the boat.

Now ill just wait for him to heal up, show he is still someone on the ice and to shut you up.
mark my words
This is what annoys me about Jagr fans. You come over here strictly for one player, stir the pot because people see him differently than you do, tell us to shut up or **** off because of it, then once he's done as a Flyer you'll be gone.

We're far more concerned about the team, not one player. The fact is, for a hockey player he's ancient. People in their 40s do not recover quickly from injuries, that's just a fact. We, as fans of the team, are concerned about a player who has repeatedly had the same injury and is in and out of the lineup and hasn't played at full speed in weeks because of it. He isn't good defensively so he has to make it up with points, which isn't happening.

Last edited by SnS: 01-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old
01-22-2012, 08:16 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
This is what annoys me about Jagr fans. You come over here strictly for one player, stir the pot because people see him differently than you do, tell us to shut up or **** off because of it, then once he's done as a Flyer you'll be gone.

We're far more concerned about the team, not one player. The fact is, for a hockey player he's ancient. People in their 40s do not recover quickly from injuries, that's just a fact. We, as fans of the team, are concerned about a player who has repeatedly had the same injury and is in and out of the lineup and hasn't played at full speed in weeks because of it. He isn't good defensively so he has to make it up with points, which isn't happening.
From me, as a Czech fan who registered here in summer 2011, it might sound a bit weird but: This + thank you.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:31 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post

mark my words
"We're going to need a bigger boat."

Last edited by SnS: 01-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:33 AM
kicksave27

A-train's hit was late, and not really necessary. Maybe if they take away the number of unnecessary hits in the game, there would be less injury. Remove the 3 mississippi buffer to hit a player well after the puck is gone. If your stick isn't down and you aren't trying to separate player from puck, it's a penalty. Fairly simple.

Or let the players defend themselves. If you are Dman and you dish the puck, and 3 seconds later a guy like kunitz is still trying to hit you, he can eat wood(composite) with no penalty, stop telling guys to 'take the hit', tell them to protect themselves.

Hits that result in injury that were deemed not clean, result in a 50k fine, min 5 games. For repeat offenders, that fine is escalated. I'd really like to have that player miss the same amount of games as the opponent he just injured, but that will never happen.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:45 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
A-train's hit was late, and not really necessary. Maybe if they take away the number of unnecessary hits in the game, there would be less injury. Remove the 3 mississippi buffer to hit a player well after the puck is gone. If your stick isn't down and you aren't trying to separate player from puck, it's a penalty. Fairly simple.

Or let the players defend themselves. If you are Dman and you dish the puck, and 3 seconds later a guy like kunitz is still trying to hit you, he can eat wood(composite) with no penalty, stop telling guys to 'take the hit', tell them to protect themselves.

Hits that result in injury that were deemed not clean, result in a 50k fine, min 5 games. For repeat offenders, that fine is escalated. I'd really like to have that player miss the same amount of games as the opponent he just injured, but that will never happen.
Shanahan can start by giving Ference 8 games at least for the hit yesterday on McDonagh. I think, too, it will take a good 5 years to eliminate the late hits, like you just described, because the current NHL population grew up being instructed to "finish your check" and "wear down your opponent". That means a good 2-3 count after the target has dished off the puck. Seismic shifts in game play have to start with the lower leagues, and work their way up.

As well, call me old-school, but players need to better protect themselves, too, when they have the puck. If you're skating with the puck and have your head down, you're vulnerable.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote