HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
bleedteal12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Well, minus Ian White.
Man do I miss him.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
We're running out of things to trade, and this Org draft too many goalies (aka the position that holds the least value). We have to be able to sign people. The GM is gonna have to start bending some of his rules, even if it means overpaying by 500k or so. Handzus is overpayed by a ton, so maybe he's aleeady started...
The Sharks haven't drafted a goalie since 2008 when they drafted Sateri.

And based on his play the past few seasons (which is what the contract would've been based on), Handzus isn't over paid by a ton - if he's overpaid at all it's not by much.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
ThorntonFan19

Im really starting to dislike the Handzus signing more and more. Yea, he's on pace for 30 pts and has set up Mcginn on many occasions, but imo he's the one who's slowing the 3rd line down.

IMO the only lock on the 3rd line should be Mcginn. He's got the speed and he's got the production. I think it might be neccesary to acquire 2 3rd liners (one RW, and one C). The forecheck is often thrown off when Mitchell and Mcginn come in with speed, while Handzus is too slow to catch up and provide puck support.

My favorite replacement options for Handzus would be Nielsen and Vermette. Both would provide much better speed, better offense and good defensive game. They would also make it possible to role 3 solid scoring lines. I think he could be had for Handzus+2nd.

Ruutu and Purcell both could probably be had at the deadline, but would cost more (especially Purcell because he isnt a UFA).

Our lines would look something like this: Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski, Clowe-Couture-Havlat, Mcginn-Nielsen/Vermette-Ruutu/Purcell, Winchester-Desjardins-Murray

Old
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
We're running out of things to trade, and this Org draft too many goalies (aka the position that holds the least value). We have to be able to sign people. The GM is gonna have to start bending some of his rules, even if it means overpaying by 500k or so. Handzus is overpayed by a ton, so maybe he's already started...
This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Considering the team's needs, they have enough to move to get it, I feel. They also haven't drafted a goalie in three years. And signing people is easier said than done. In order to get someone like Hamhuis, they'd have to pay him 5 mil a year. That's a bit much for him.

They can go out and get a Tuomo Ruutu for what they have as Carolina would be a good trading partner. They will need to take some salary back due to where they're at in relation to the cap floor and won't ask much for a rental. It's not nearly as dire as people think. The team didn't have much last year either and managed to get Ian White and Kyle Wellwood who fit rather well.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
1. Get Canes GM high.

2. Include Handzus in the Ruutu deal.

3. Profit.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:00 PM
StalockSuperfan

I like it, TF19. Much better than mine. Perhaps:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

2nd + descent prospect for Nielsen

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu
Desjardins-Handzus-Winchester
(Mitchell, Murray, Ferriero)

Best in the West IMO, and we keep our 1st.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu

I don't think a second third liner is all that necessary. Just remember, that the team is expecting James Sheppard to be back in March and they will need a roster spot for that. And expecting that roster spot to happen at the expense of a recent acquisition isn't realistic. One acquisition is realistic. Two isn't, imo. I also wouldn't dismiss Sheppard's potential contribution either.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
I still say Carolina owes us for giving them a 2nd for Wallin. Seriously, Wallin was worth a 5th rounder and we gave them a 2nd. I demand Ruutu for Nitty and a 3rd.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
stalockrox

Quote:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu

Problem is that there are about 15 other teams that are looking to make these types of moves for these exact players...and I really don't think the Islanders have a whole lot of interest in moving Nielsen unfortunately.

It should start getting pretty interesting after the all star break.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't think a second third liner is all that necessary. Just remember, that the team is expecting James Sheppard to be back in March and they will need a roster spot for that. And expecting that roster spot to happen at the expense of a recent acquisition isn't realistic. One acquisition is realistic. Two isn't, imo. I also wouldn't dismiss Sheppard's potential contribution either.
FWIW, I had a dream two months ago that Sheppard scored the cup winning goal. Then I woke up and realized he's still injured and how ludicrous that dream was.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:15 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.
I thought you were one of those that think Nitty is better than Niemi. Regardless, point being, Nitty is not a press box goalie.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I agree that Niittymaki and a 2nd won't get it done for Ruutu but Rutherford will trade him unless he can re-sign him before the deadline. Carolina's season is done and Ruutu is unrestricted at the end of the year. JR will get something for him if a contract isn't signed by the deadline.

However, whether Ruutu garners a 1st is still up in the air. He may get a 2013 1st but a team is overpaying if they give up a 2012 1st. However, Niittymaki or Mitchell plus both 2nd rounders likely get the job done.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu

I like the lines. Thats still missing a competent first line center though.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
Quote:
1. Get Canes GM high.

2. Include Handzus in the Ruutu deal.

3. Profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
I still say Carolina owes us for giving them a 2nd for Wallin. Seriously, Wallin was worth a 5th rounder and we gave them a 2nd. I demand Ruutu for Nitty and a 3rd.
these are two ideas that i can get behind.

Old
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I thought you were one of those that think Nitty is better than Niemi. Regardless, point being, Nitty is not a press box goalie.
I gave up on him after I heard that he was terrible at AHL yesterday. If he would be in condition, Niitty>Niemi. But since that isn't the case, just trade him. Or waive him.
Quote:
I agree that Niittymaki and a 2nd won't get it done for Ruutu but Rutherford will trade him unless he can re-sign him before the deadline. Carolina's season is done and Ruutu is unrestricted at the end of the year. JR will get something for him if a contract isn't signed by the deadline.

However, whether Ruutu garners a 1st is still up in the air. He may get a 2013 1st but a team is overpaying if they give up a 2012 1st. However, Niittymaki or Mitchell plus both 2nd rounders likely get the job done.
Everyone said this about Pitkanen last year and look what happened. And he will get a 1st @TDL, someone will overpay for his services.

Old
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
I like the lines. Thats still missing a competent first line center though.
So true.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Les Wynan*

After watching Handzus get destroyed by Cody friggin' Hodgson, I don't see how anyone can continue to defend him or that signing. He's been abysmal all season long. The puck is perpetually in the defensive zone when Handzus is on the ice.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
I figure it would take Nitty, 1st, prospect. I just didn't want to get flamed for overpaying and derail the thread.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Everyone said this about Pitkanen last year and look what happened. And he will get a 1st @TDL, someone will overpay for his services.
Pitkanen certainly is an exception but Ian White was a guy that he couldn't get to fit and likely wouldn't re-sign so he moved him. It depends on where they're at. If they don't think he will sign, they will move him.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
I gave up on him after I heard that he was terrible at AHL yesterday. If he would be in condition, Niitty>Niemi. But since that isn't the case, just trade him. Or waive him.
I'm not sure what's worse. Calling Nitty a pressbox goalie or admitting you've changed your mind on him based on an internet post regarding a players first game back in quite some time.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:55 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I'm not sure what's worse. Calling Nitty a pressbox goalie or admitting you've changed your mind on him based on an internet post regarding a players first game back in quite some time.
Ye, I know he isn't on his game right now since he hasn't been playing. But on this team he is a pressbox goalie, which doesn't exactly up his value. One has to wonder if that knee surgery had a negative effect on his playing ability.

Anyone got more detailed info on Zeus NMC, capgeek has him only having it but nothing more detailed?

Old
01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Ye, I know he isn't on his game right now since he hasn't been playing. But on this team he is a pressbox goalie, which doesn't exactly up his value. One has to wonder if that knee surgery had a negative effect on his playing ability.

Anyone got more detailed info on Zeus NMC, capgeek has him only having it but nothing more detailed?
Niitty had hip surgery, not knee...and a NMC is just that, a no movement clause, meaning he can't be moved anywhere w/o his permission.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Niitty had hip surgery, not knee...and a NMC is just that, a no movement clause, meaning he can't be moved anywhere w/o his permission.
/brainfart on my part. Mixed up hip/knee and NMC/NTC.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
Quote:
This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Considering the team's needs, they have enough to move to get it, I feel. They also haven't drafted a goalie in three years. And signing people is easier said than done. In order to get someone like Hamhuis, they'd have to pay him 5 mil a year. That's a bit much for him.

They can go out and get a Tuomo Ruutu for what they have as Carolina would be a good trading partner. They will need to take some salary back due to where they're at in relation to the cap floor and won't ask much for a rental. It's not nearly as dire as people think. The team didn't have much last year either and managed to get Ian White and Kyle Wellwood who fit rather well.
I'm not sure on the cap numbers, but we'd still have Setoguchi and Coyle if we had overpaid Hamhuis to $5 million. That is worth the overpayment. No offense to Brent Burns meant, but that sounds better to me than where we're at now. (Of course I'm assuming DW stays the heck away from Handzus as a UFA)

I'm saying that we are running out of non-draft pick things - prospects, expendable young roster players. Anyone can trade a ton of picks, but other teams can do that too. They will want good prospects and picks.

Closed Thread