HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
  #976
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
bleedteal12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Well, minus Ian White.
Man do I miss him.

bleedteal12 is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
  #977
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
We're running out of things to trade, and this Org draft too many goalies (aka the position that holds the least value). We have to be able to sign people. The GM is gonna have to start bending some of his rules, even if it means overpaying by 500k or so. Handzus is overpayed by a ton, so maybe he's aleeady started...
The Sharks haven't drafted a goalie since 2008 when they drafted Sateri.

And based on his play the past few seasons (which is what the contract would've been based on), Handzus isn't over paid by a ton - if he's overpaid at all it's not by much.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
  #978
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Im really starting to dislike the Handzus signing more and more. Yea, he's on pace for 30 pts and has set up Mcginn on many occasions, but imo he's the one who's slowing the 3rd line down.

IMO the only lock on the 3rd line should be Mcginn. He's got the speed and he's got the production. I think it might be neccesary to acquire 2 3rd liners (one RW, and one C). The forecheck is often thrown off when Mitchell and Mcginn come in with speed, while Handzus is too slow to catch up and provide puck support.

My favorite replacement options for Handzus would be Nielsen and Vermette. Both would provide much better speed, better offense and good defensive game. They would also make it possible to role 3 solid scoring lines. I think he could be had for Handzus+2nd.

Ruutu and Purcell both could probably be had at the deadline, but would cost more (especially Purcell because he isnt a UFA).

Our lines would look something like this: Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski, Clowe-Couture-Havlat, Mcginn-Nielsen/Vermette-Ruutu/Purcell, Winchester-Desjardins-Murray

ThorntonFan19 is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
  #979
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
We're running out of things to trade, and this Org draft too many goalies (aka the position that holds the least value). We have to be able to sign people. The GM is gonna have to start bending some of his rules, even if it means overpaying by 500k or so. Handzus is overpayed by a ton, so maybe he's already started...
This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Considering the team's needs, they have enough to move to get it, I feel. They also haven't drafted a goalie in three years. And signing people is easier said than done. In order to get someone like Hamhuis, they'd have to pay him 5 mil a year. That's a bit much for him.

They can go out and get a Tuomo Ruutu for what they have as Carolina would be a good trading partner. They will need to take some salary back due to where they're at in relation to the cap floor and won't ask much for a rental. It's not nearly as dire as people think. The team didn't have much last year either and managed to get Ian White and Kyle Wellwood who fit rather well.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
  #980
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,408
vCash: 50
1. Get Canes GM high.

2. Include Handzus in the Ruutu deal.

3. Profit.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:00 PM
  #981
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
I like it, TF19. Much better than mine. Perhaps:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

2nd + descent prospect for Nielsen

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu
Desjardins-Handzus-Winchester
(Mitchell, Murray, Ferriero)

Best in the West IMO, and we keep our 1st.

StalockSuperfan is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
  #982
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I like it, TF19. Much better than mine. Perhaps:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

2nd + descent prospect for Nielsen

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu
Desjardins-Handzus-Winchester
(Mitchell, Murray, Ferriero)

Best in the West IMO, and we keep our 1st.
I don't think a second third liner is all that necessary. Just remember, that the team is expecting James Sheppard to be back in March and they will need a roster spot for that. And expecting that roster spot to happen at the expense of a recent acquisition isn't realistic. One acquisition is realistic. Two isn't, imo. I also wouldn't dismiss Sheppard's potential contribution either.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
  #983
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 628
I still say Carolina owes us for giving them a 2nd for Wallin. Seriously, Wallin was worth a 5th rounder and we gave them a 2nd. I demand Ruutu for Nitty and a 3rd.

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
  #984
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I like it, TF19. Much better than mine. Perhaps:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

2nd + descent prospect for Nielsen

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu
Desjardins-Handzus-Winchester
(Mitchell, Murray, Ferriero)

Best in the West IMO, and we keep our 1st.
Problem is that there are about 15 other teams that are looking to make these types of moves for these exact players...and I really don't think the Islanders have a whole lot of interest in moving Nielsen unfortunately.

It should start getting pretty interesting after the all star break.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
  #985
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't think a second third liner is all that necessary. Just remember, that the team is expecting James Sheppard to be back in March and they will need a roster spot for that. And expecting that roster spot to happen at the expense of a recent acquisition isn't realistic. One acquisition is realistic. Two isn't, imo. I also wouldn't dismiss Sheppard's potential contribution either.
FWIW, I had a dream two months ago that Sheppard scored the cup winning goal. Then I woke up and realized he's still injured and how ludicrous that dream was.

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:15 PM
  #986
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
  #987
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.
I thought you were one of those that think Nitty is better than Niemi. Regardless, point being, Nitty is not a press box goalie.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
  #988
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.
I agree that Niittymaki and a 2nd won't get it done for Ruutu but Rutherford will trade him unless he can re-sign him before the deadline. Carolina's season is done and Ruutu is unrestricted at the end of the year. JR will get something for him if a contract isn't signed by the deadline.

However, whether Ruutu garners a 1st is still up in the air. He may get a 2013 1st but a team is overpaying if they give up a 2012 1st. However, Niittymaki or Mitchell plus both 2nd rounders likely get the job done.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:22 PM
  #989
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium
 
Helistin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Close to you
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I like it, TF19. Much better than mine. Perhaps:

Nitty + 2nd for Ruutu

2nd + descent prospect for Nielsen

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Nielsen-Ruutu
Desjardins-Handzus-Winchester
(Mitchell, Murray, Ferriero)

Best in the West IMO, and we keep our 1st.
I like the lines. Thats still missing a competent first line center though.

Helistin is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
  #990
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,454
vCash: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
1. Get Canes GM high.

2. Include Handzus in the Ruutu deal.

3. Profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
I still say Carolina owes us for giving them a 2nd for Wallin. Seriously, Wallin was worth a 5th rounder and we gave them a 2nd. I demand Ruutu for Nitty and a 3rd.
these are two ideas that i can get behind.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
  #991
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I thought you were one of those that think Nitty is better than Niemi. Regardless, point being, Nitty is not a press box goalie.
I gave up on him after I heard that he was terrible at AHL yesterday. If he would be in condition, Niitty>Niemi. But since that isn't the case, just trade him. Or waive him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I agree that Niittymaki and a 2nd won't get it done for Ruutu but Rutherford will trade him unless he can re-sign him before the deadline. Carolina's season is done and Ruutu is unrestricted at the end of the year. JR will get something for him if a contract isn't signed by the deadline.

However, whether Ruutu garners a 1st is still up in the air. He may get a 2013 1st but a team is overpaying if they give up a 2012 1st. However, Niittymaki or Mitchell plus both 2nd rounders likely get the job done.
Everyone said this about Pitkanen last year and look what happened. And he will get a 1st @TDL, someone will overpay for his services.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
  #992
irregardless
Registered Dummy
 
irregardless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
I like the lines. Thats still missing a competent first line center though.
So true.

irregardless is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
  #993
Les Wynan*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
After watching Handzus get destroyed by Cody friggin' Hodgson, I don't see how anyone can continue to defend him or that signing. He's been abysmal all season long. The puck is perpetually in the defensive zone when Handzus is on the ice.

Les Wynan* is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
  #994
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
We aren't getting Ruutu for a pressbox goalie and a 2nd. Even more if this is to go down @DTL. Ruutu will garner atleast a 1st, he's no 3rd line scrub you know and Canes don't even have to trade him. He's still young.
I figure it would take Nitty, 1st, prospect. I just didn't want to get flamed for overpaying and derail the thread.

StalockSuperfan is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
  #995
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Everyone said this about Pitkanen last year and look what happened. And he will get a 1st @TDL, someone will overpay for his services.
Pitkanen certainly is an exception but Ian White was a guy that he couldn't get to fit and likely wouldn't re-sign so he moved him. It depends on where they're at. If they don't think he will sign, they will move him.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
  #996
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I gave up on him after I heard that he was terrible at AHL yesterday. If he would be in condition, Niitty>Niemi. But since that isn't the case, just trade him. Or waive him.
I'm not sure what's worse. Calling Nitty a pressbox goalie or admitting you've changed your mind on him based on an internet post regarding a players first game back in quite some time.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:55 PM
  #997
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I'm not sure what's worse. Calling Nitty a pressbox goalie or admitting you've changed your mind on him based on an internet post regarding a players first game back in quite some time.
Ye, I know he isn't on his game right now since he hasn't been playing. But on this team he is a pressbox goalie, which doesn't exactly up his value. One has to wonder if that knee surgery had a negative effect on his playing ability.

Anyone got more detailed info on Zeus NMC, capgeek has him only having it but nothing more detailed?

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
  #998
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Ye, I know he isn't on his game right now since he hasn't been playing. But on this team he is a pressbox goalie, which doesn't exactly up his value. One has to wonder if that knee surgery had a negative effect on his playing ability.

Anyone got more detailed info on Zeus NMC, capgeek has him only having it but nothing more detailed?
Niitty had hip surgery, not knee...and a NMC is just that, a no movement clause, meaning he can't be moved anywhere w/o his permission.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
  #999
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Niitty had hip surgery, not knee...and a NMC is just that, a no movement clause, meaning he can't be moved anywhere w/o his permission.
/brainfart on my part. Mixed up hip/knee and NMC/NTC.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
  #1000
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,454
vCash: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Considering the team's needs, they have enough to move to get it, I feel. They also haven't drafted a goalie in three years. And signing people is easier said than done. In order to get someone like Hamhuis, they'd have to pay him 5 mil a year. That's a bit much for him.

They can go out and get a Tuomo Ruutu for what they have as Carolina would be a good trading partner. They will need to take some salary back due to where they're at in relation to the cap floor and won't ask much for a rental. It's not nearly as dire as people think. The team didn't have much last year either and managed to get Ian White and Kyle Wellwood who fit rather well.
I'm not sure on the cap numbers, but we'd still have Setoguchi and Coyle if we had overpaid Hamhuis to $5 million. That is worth the overpayment. No offense to Brent Burns meant, but that sounds better to me than where we're at now. (Of course I'm assuming DW stays the heck away from Handzus as a UFA)

I'm saying that we are running out of non-draft pick things - prospects, expendable young roster players. Anyone can trade a ton of picks, but other teams can do that too. They will want good prospects and picks.

magic school bus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.