HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs might recall Korbinian Holzer from the AHL and trade a defenceman very soon

Old
01-22-2012, 01:11 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Leafs might recall Korbinian Holzer from the AHL and trade a defenceman very soon

Hey guys,

During Rogers Sportsnet's Sources Say segment, John Shannon reported that the Toronto Maple Leafs will probably call up D Korbinian Holzer very soon to the NHL because of his recent noteworthy performance in the AHL. John Shannon also speculates that the Leafs might trade a defenceman (Mike Komisarek, Luke Schenn, or Keith Aulie) in order to make room for Holzer on the NHL roster. However, John Shannon mentions that if the Leafs are unsuccessful in their attempts to trade a defenceman during this season, Korbinian Holzer will most likely be traded during the upcoming offseason to another NHL team.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Holzer should get a shot. This guy is a total beast. Imo, he makes Komi and Aulie expendable.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Tak7

First - I don't watch AHL hockey. But, I watched the AHL classic and two players that really stood out for me for the Marlies were Jerry D'Amigo and Holzer. You don't ever make judgments after just one game, but he looked very good. Wasn't all that surprised that Shannon said that the Leafs feel Holzer is NHL-ready

Second - Context; weren't the comments from Shannon on Sportsnet more of a:

"The Leafs feel Holzer is NHL ready, and therefore are open to trading away a Dman should an offer to their liking appear?"

rather than what you've reported?

Holzer to be called up soon because a Leafs trade involving Dman is imminent?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Flowseidon
Compton

so what you're saying is...Komiserek for Malone? I never watch the Marlies, except for today just because it was outdoors and all, and I have to say both Holzer and Gysbers definitely stood out. They should both get a chance

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Eternal Leaf

Yup, Holzer looks like one of those gems you find in the later rounds.

Been amazing, thus far.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:43 AM
rj24

Can someone fill me in on Holzer? Is he offensive, defensive, or two-way? I don't get to watch many marlie games and have only seen him play in a couple pre season games. Heard nothing but good things though.

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:44 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

god I would love to have a legit defensive dman. You know... the kind that aren't known for their boneheaded plays. Never even heard of a dman like that before.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Eternal Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj24 View Post
Can someone fill me in on Holzer? Is he offensive, defensive, or two-way? I don't get to watch many marlie games and have only seen him play in a couple pre season games. Heard nothing but good things though.
Defensive d-man.

Big guy (6' 3'') and is very good at being positionally sound. Decent in terms of moving the puck, as well.

Just overall, a solid d-man who is tough to beat and plays against the best AHL forwards on the opposing team.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Defensive d-man, but very smart and strong, has good size and great positioning and has an active stick, and is not soft by any means. Kind of like a more rugged version of Gunnarsson with a bit less offense. He's not bad at carrying the puck but isn't much of an offensive guy.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
rj24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Leaf View Post
Defensive d-man.

Big guy (6' 3'') and is very good at being positionally sound. Decent in terms of moving the puck, as well.

Just overall, a solid d-man who is tough to beat and plays against the best AHL forwards on the opposing team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Defensive d-man, but very smart and strong, has good size and great positioning and has an active stick, and is not soft by any means. Kind of like a more rugged version of Gunnarsson with a bit less offense. He's not bad at carrying the puck but isn't much of an offensive guy.
Thanks guys!

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Blue Forest
engaged to Kessel

is he a guy that could help out the PK?

Blue Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Stats01

Quote:
6ft3(he looks more like 6ft4) big guy who plays a solid defensive game, will make a solid break out pass, he won't stun you with any type of offensive game but man he is a bull defensively, and as you saw today he's not scared to drop the gloves. He's ready for the NHL, and like I said last week, he can fill into Schenn's spot right now if he was dealt tomorrow. Another great thing, unlike Schenn Holzer knows what kind of defenseman he is, he won't try to rush the puck up the ice often and get caught, he's one of our better positionally aware D-men at any level in our organization. He's really opened up my eyes this year, he's quietly developed into a solid solid prospect. I may be a bit over the top here but if he gets a shot with the Leafs or any NHL club this year or next, I really believe he could become a top 4 guy. That's the max potential he has IMO.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue forest View Post
is he a guy that could help out the pk?
YES! Definitely!! the Marlies have the best PK in the AHL and he's a big part of that.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

So why have the Leafs not given him a shot? Some off-ice stuff? It's odd that Holzer hasn't gotten a test run with the big club, especially with the Komi injury, Schenn's struggles, and Aulie being as effective out there as a three-legged chair.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

**** Schenn he is more overated then Kadri and Kadri is the size of a grade 12 kid..... Trade SCHENN for what ever we can get him for ..... PLEASE Bruke trade his slow ass before his value is nothing

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:10 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
So why have the Leafs not given him a shot? Some off-ice stuff? It's odd that Holzer hasn't gotten a test run with the big club, especially with the Komi injury, Schenn's struggles, and Aulie being as effective out there as a three-legged chair.
Depth on the big club, plus before this year he wasn't ready. He'll be 24 in February so at some point you have to see what you have in a guy. He is what he is and to me he's as good as Schenn. I've been knocked for making that comment but I truly believe that and I won't back down from it. Schenn gets a lot of attention and love because of the huge hits he lays on guys, but when he does make a hit like that most of the time he takes himself totally out of the play. I remember Schenn added 20 pounds or something a summer ago or two summers ago and I really believe that has affected him. He looks slow and out of position a lot this year.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:14 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Depth on the big club, plus before this year he wasn't ready.
What depth? We're one of the worst defensive clubs in the league, and have had two of our top six go down for months already this season. And if you judge by the rumor posted at the top of the thread, Holzer is gonzo no matter what. That's weird, given the need for a shutdown d-man and the raves about his AHL play.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
What depth? We're one of the worst defensive clubs in the league, and have had two of our top six go down for months already this season. And if you judge by the rumor posted at the top of the thread, Holzer is gonzo no matter what. That's weird, given the need for a shutdown d-man and the raves about his AHL play.
Phaneuf, Schenn, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Franson, Gardiner, Aulie...we have 7 D up already. Why do you think they're trying to move a D man to make room? Depth

Old
01-22-2012, 02:19 AM
Jerkini

Pretty much all of Burke's trades have come out of no where. I don't believe this stuff for a second.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:27 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
**** Schenn he is more overated then Kadri and Kadri is the size of a grade 12 kid..... Trade SCHENN for what ever we can get him for ..... PLEASE Bruke trade his slow ass before his value is nothing
totally agree, can't wait till he's traded and all the homers will finally admit "ok maybe he wasn't that good...".

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
totally agree, can't wait till he's traded and all the homers will finally admit "ok maybe he wasn't that good...".
Problem with leaf fans is that we value 1st round picks way to ****ing highly as if they are suppose to be top end players Schenn was not touted to be picked 5th over he was ment to be picked 8th-15th overall at best and that is because of his play in the WHL ( a D-man league )

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:45 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Schenn is over rated but he still holds a lot of value. He is still young and dmen don't peak for a while.. he's only going to get better. And how many 16 or 17 year olds are athletic and 190 pounds? How big should a 6 foot NHLer be? The NHL's best goal scorer is an inch taller and the same weight as Kadri.. kid has speed, hands, vision and once he puts it together we'll see how over rated he is. He doesn't really get a lot of playing time. He is getting 14 minutes or so a night and for whatever reason isn't utilized on the PP where I think he would thrive.

We lose a couple and everyone is over rated and should be dealt I suppose.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

man i want sean couturier lol

Regardless I am very curious if something is going to happen sooner than later.

It's clear we need a change in the second line as they are underachieving big time, defensively fine but offensively not so much. Mac excluded.

It would also be nice to get some leadership/character veteran in our team so they can help us stay calm and clear during weak times.

01-22-2012, 04:48 AM
ldnk

Holzer strikes me as the kind of defensive defenseman who thrives in the newer NHL. He's big and plays positionally sound, but he's very mobile. I think that has been the big problem with Komisarek. Mike is big, plays the body well and when in position he's very good at what he does, but the game is just too fast for him to be truly elite defensively anymore.

ldnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:57 AM
bberard34

Quote:
Problem with leaf fans is that we value 1st round picks way to ****ing highly as if they are suppose to be top end players Schenn was not touted to be picked 5th over he was ment to be picked 8th-15th overall at best and that is because of his play in the WHL ( a D-man league )
That is total BS. The top 5 in that draft was etched in stone. At least speak with facts instead of making things up. There is a reason Fletcher had to move up from 7 to 5 to get him. God I hate our own fans sometimes. I'm not even a huge Schenn fan but you just totally made up an argument out of thin air.

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote