HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#49: Kings vs. Avalanche 1/21/12 1-3 Loss THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
I like Richards, he makes a decent 2nd line center or an excellent 3rd line center, but he is, and always has been overrated and I've said it all along. Considering the prime assets we gave up, I would have preferred to get a game breaking forward in exchange. If one wasn't available, it probably would have been better to "stay the course."

The do something/anything crowd around here was happy with the Smyth/Penner/Richards acquistions when they happened, but look at where its gotten us. If you're not gonna swing for the fences then don't step up to bat.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Holy hell some of you need to calm the **** down.

Kings had a chance to gain ground because every other team of consequence in the division lost too. It's not the end of the world. Lombardi isn't getting fired. The Richards trade was not a mistake. Really people? Christ.

They weren't going to go 34-0-0. They had a bad game. It's frustrating, but it's a loss. They will happen from time to time.

Nope, nope, you are right, they were not going 34-0, but you can go 10-24 if you continue to score 1 to 2 goals per game.... And that is where all this frustration lies.
Its not gonna get fixed this year, and I guess the sooner everyone accepts it, the better, will make for fewer meltdowns.

Oh well the road trip in Feb will make or break this team..

Last edited by fsanford: 01-22-2012 at 01:59 AM.
fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Nex06

Quote:

Kings had a chance to gain ground because every other team of consequence in the division lost too. It's not the end of the world. Lombardi isn't getting fired. The Richards trade was not a mistake. Really people? Christ.

They weren't going to go 34-0-0. They had a bad game. It's frustrating, but it's a loss. They will happen from time to time.
I am pissed off because even if top line scored two more goals and we would have won in OT, we would STILL need to be writing pretty much the same things. We probably wouldn't have, but some things just aren't going well at the moment. I don't understand what the hell is going on with their sticks. It looks like Stoll doesn't own a stick. It looks like Stoll and his Stick are two individual subjects, each with their own idea where to do next. We are paying very nice money to a guy who can't even control his own stick.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Johnny Utah

For the first time though the team is boring to watch...No one is creative.

My buddies are Blues fans...the Blues score, they play fast, they fight and play tough...The Kings don't do any of that. I get sick of hearing how good they are. It's makes me jealous.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:57 AM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

I'm glad I gave tickets to my friend so he could see the team I love live We're still lacking that killer instinct and that drive to the net. I never realized how much Smyth and Zus did for us in that respect. Having guys park themselves in front would at least be a start to some kind of scrappy offense. Anyways, no sense in spending too much time on this game. Let's win the next one going into the break.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Bunch of crybabies on here...expecting this team to go 82-0-0 I guess, but still would be upset.

I like the Kings. Could we be a better scoring team, hell yeah.

Tonight, the effort wasn't there. Or maybe Colorado just wanted it more. They outplayed the Kings in just about every way you could think...they were aggressive on the PK, they were quicker to the puck. I felt they took the Kings by surprise tonight, and the Kings never really did recover.

As Tony said, you aren't going to win them all. You aren't even going to be ready for them all. One team came to play tonight, and the other one took the night off. That's all there was to it.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
For the first time though the team is boring to watch...No one is creative.

My buddies are Blues fans...the Blues score, they play fast, they fight and play tough...The Kings don't do any of that. I get sick of hearing how good they are. It's makes me jealous.
By creative you mean throwing some nasty punches? I too watch STL and I wouldn't say they are THAT entertaining to watch, at least not to me. You aren't missing that much. Their system works, that's all.

You are a fighting maniac, but I will give you one thing: I enjoy watching those Bruins playing some tough team and game going on for 3 hours. I somehow expect to see 3 fights during first 5 minutes, just involving guys clearing up some misunderstandings from the last game they played.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

In b4 everyone rages over one ga-.....er FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:10 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Bunch of crybabies on here...expecting this team to go 82-0-0 I guess, but still would be upset.

I like the Kings. Could we be a better scoring team, hell yeah.

Tonight, the effort wasn't there. Or maybe Colorado just wanted it more. They outplayed the Kings in just about every way you could think...they were aggressive on the PK, they were quicker to the puck. I felt they took the Kings by surprise tonight, and the Kings never really did recover.

As Tony said, you aren't going to win them all. You aren't even going to be ready for them all. One team came to play tonight, and the other one took the night off. That's all there was to it.
The frustration is going far beyond just today. Ever since Nov 19, they've played 30 games and won 5 games decisively (by at least 2 goals). Those games were:

11/28 San Jose 2-0
12/28 Chicago 2-0
12/31 Vancouver 4-1
1/9 Washington 5-2
1/14 Calgary 4-1
http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule...-angeles-kings

Hell at this point, I'll even count the empty net goals. You're telling me that with our record, we should be comfortable with how our team is playing?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:21 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Preseason me: Wow the Kings have a hell of a line up! We will be tough compete and an offensive juggernaut!

Current me: this team can't score if their life depended on it.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:32 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

this is the most underachieving Kings team I have ever seen.

Can somebody think of a Kings lineup this good playing this consistently bad? Seriously name one year...

Old
01-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
The frustration is going far beyond just today. Ever since Nov 19, they've played 30 games and won 5 games decisively (by at least 2 goals). Those games were:

11/28 San Jose 2-0
12/28 Chicago 2-0
12/31 Vancouver 4-1
1/9 Washington 5-2
1/14 Calgary 4-1
http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule...-angeles-kings

Hell at this point, I'll even count the empty net goals. You're telling me that with our record, we should be comfortable with how our team is playing?
Not saying that, but "it is what it is." We all bought into "The Time Is Now" and drank the kool-aid, but I knew that was a farce about 20 games ago.

The bottom line is this: I saw three of those games in person (11/28, 12/31, and 1/9). They were all a blast. The Kings came with GREAT EFFORT in all three, and they were ball-busters in every one of those games. That is what I paid season seats for, those kinds of games.

They haven't done it consistently (obviously). So what is left to wonder? Bottom line, every team has some great games during the year. They can't do it every night because they don't have the talent level or cohesiveness to do it every night, enough said.

So I have settled for what we really are: a 7th seed playoff team. Now, maybe I am still drinking the kool-aid at a certain level, because I think we can really be trouble for that 2nd seed (and hopefully beyond), but the bottom line is we need a scorer and we need one now.

Otherwise, I think its "one and done" again this year.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Sutter pours bourbon
Escarpment Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
this is the most underachieving Kings team I have ever seen.

Can somebody think of a Kings lineup this good playing this consistently bad? Seriously name one year...
Of course. 93-94.

Gretz, Kurri, Robitaille, Sydor, Blake, and to a lesser extent Lang, Sandstrom and Carson.

27-45-12 that year. We're better than that this year with a less talented (on paper) line up.

Everything back of the 2nd line (including the defense is pretty woefull on the 93-94 squad though).

Sutter pours bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrethrills View Post
Of course. 93-94.

Gretz, Kurri, Robitaille, Sydor, Blake, and to a lesser extent Lang, Sandstrom and Carson.

27-45-12 that year. We're better than that this year with a less talented (on paper) line up.

Everything back of the 2nd line (including the defense is pretty woefull on the 93-94 squad though).
Was going to say that too...it was the letdown year after we let the cup get away.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Face Wash

Nothing more frustrating than watching your team struggle to score, then afterwards listening to a coach who can't link subject to predicate.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Nothing more frustrating than watching your team struggle to score, then afterwards listening to a coach who can't link subject to predicate.
I think he does it on purpose so the media can't understand what he is saying...I sure as hell can't.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
I think he does it on purpose so the media can't understand what he is saying...I sure as hell can't.
Great, The Fernando Valenzuela approach...

Old
01-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Great, The Fernando Valenzuela approach...

A friend of mine who spoke very good Spanish and I were watching Fernando speaking Spanish on an interview one day and my friend commented that even his Spanish was awful; he couldn't understand a ****ing thing he said.

Sutter literally puts me to sleep in his post-game interviews. I cannot finish them...I usually give up long before the inteview is over and go to bed.

I did understand one thing he said tonight, and totally agree with him. Only one line showed up. Brown was also very politically correct in not naming names but he did say that (I am paraphrasing here) : 20 guys have to show up, and we didn't have that.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:14 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrethrills View Post
Of course. 93-94.

well played, ill give you that one.

but, what I am astounded by is how close we are to the cap and how terrible we are. I don't remember ever having the 5th highest salary in the league and being this terrible. I didn't pay attention to salary back then, but I wonder if we were as high relative to the league and played that bad.

Either way, unless someone can come up with a 2nd year, I'm going to stamp this as the 2nd most disappointing year I've ever seen.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:26 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

91 points gets the #8 seed - a record of 17-15-1 (or 13-11-9) gets that done (points percentage of .530).

105 points gets the Division and the #3 seed -- a record of 24-8-1 (or 20-4-9) gets that done (points percentage of .742).

Under Sutter, the Kings are 8-2-6, points percentage of .6875. Continue that pace for the remaining 33 games and the Kings get 101 points.... and the #7 seed.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:26 AM
jml87

So we've gone from loving them a week ago when they scored 13 goals and predicting great success in the playoffs to hating them and giving up on the season again. Good to know.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Face Wash

Quote:

A friend of mine who spoke very good Spanish and I were watching Fernando speaking Spanish on an interview one day and my friend commented that even his Spanish was awful; he couldn't understand a ****ing thing he said.

Sutter literally puts me to sleep in his post-game interviews. I cannot finish them...I usually give up long before the inteview is over and go to bed.

I did understand one thing he said tonight, and totally agree with him. Only one line showed up. Brown was also very politically correct in not naming names but he did say that (I am paraphrasing here) : 20 guys have to show up, and we didn't have that.
I saw DBs comments...he missed an open net AGAIN tonight. He played well, but he's hardly perfect. But as captain, I hope he calls a players only and starts calling guys out. I've questioned his leadership for years.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:36 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
So we've gone from loving them a week ago when they scored 13 goals and predicting great success in the playoffs to hating them and giving up on the season again. Good to know.
That depends -- what do you consider "giving up the season"? Consensus here (except for the blue-sky crowd) appears to be that the team is a #7 playoff team and one-and-done. Is that "giving up the season" in your book because people aren't predicting a division win and/or a conference finals appearance? Also, I think people were loving the team they saw score 13 goals in three games... but we haven't seen THAT team arrive since. We've seen other people wearing the same sweaters.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Sutter pours bourbon
Escarpment Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
That depends -- what do you consider "giving up the season"? Consensus here (except for the blue-sky crowd) appears to be that the team is a #7 playoff team and one-and-done. Is that "giving up the season" in your book because people aren't predicting a division win and/or a conference finals appearance? Also, I think people were loving the team they saw score 13 goals in three games... but we haven't seen THAT team arrive since. We've seen other people wearing the same sweaters.
I don't know about that. Most people here have realistic expectations. I mean, just think about the standings if Penner had 10 goals this year. It's little things like that. We just need our top three lines to be AVERAGE offensively and we'd be looking at a totally different year.

I still think Sutter can imprint a responsible offensive system on this group down the stretch. He hasn't practiced all that much with these guys yet. Hopefully he gives Kompon an earful or takes a hands-on approach there.

edit: definitely quoted the wrong post here... BEER will do that though right?

Sutter pours bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:50 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
91 points gets the #8 seed - a record of 17-15-1 (or 13-11-9) gets that done (points percentage of .530).

105 points gets the Division and the #3 seed -- a record of 24-8-1 (or 20-4-9) gets that done (points percentage of .742).

Under Sutter, the Kings are 8-2-6, points percentage of .6875. Continue that pace for the remaining 33 games and the Kings get 101 points.... and the #7 seed.
So you think the Kings are going to collect 45 points in their last 33 games?
  • They have a 20 road games left including only 3 against PHX, SJ & ANA (in other words, there's a ton of travel left).
  • They have a 6-game and two 4-game trips left.
  • They have one line giving them any offense right now.
  • Kings give up more goals on the road per game than at home (not good for a defense first team)
If the Kings have 101 points at the end of this season with the team they have now, I for one will be stunned.