HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan Etiquette at Staples

Old
01-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Fan Etiquette at Staples

Tonight's game at Staples (Colorado, January 21) was by far the worst game all year in regards to fan etiquette.

This is my first year as a season ticket holder, although I have also attended many games in the past. When I landed aisle seats, I thought I was in luck.

Boy, was I ever wrong. Sitting on the aisle, I have to constantly get up for those casual fans who, it seems, come to the games solely to drink golden liquid that passes for beer at Staples and then piss it away throughout the game.

These fans, apparently, have no idea that you aren't supposed to leave and arrive while the puck is in play. It hadn't happened all year, perhaps because the Kings scoring is at all-time lows, and their defense is damn good, but it happened tonight: I missed a goal because I was having to get up for the umpteeth time so some drunk can go piss his beer away.

There are so many fools in the aisle during the game now its becoming intolerable. My son is fed up. It is definitely time to move my seats and upgrade; unfortunately, I think I am stuck in these seats for the remainder of the season...but I will check with Guest Services on Monday night.

In any event, I will be upgrading next season. Middle of the section, TV side, lower in the arena. Sure, it will cost me a small fortune, but it's gotta be better than this bull-****.

I know someone complained about this on Kings Talk one night about fans who don't honor the etiquette, and Nick missed the point: he said the Kings have been in southern California for 45 years, you think the fans would know it by now. But its not us oldtimers or the serious fans; its the casual fans who don't know offsides from icing and seemingly only come to games to get wasted and couldn't give two ***** whether anyone cared about their behavior or not.

I think the Staples announcer accommodated us frustrated fans one time all year by making an announcement. They really should announce it throughout the game so these numbskulls might learn something.

Well, rant is over. Just wondered if any of you have had the same experience as I have had this season. Or if you have noticed trends that I cannot attest to.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Tonight's game at Staples (Colorado, January 21) was by far the worst game all year in regards to fan etiquette.

This is my first year as a season ticket holder, although I have also attended many games in the past. When I landed aisle seats, I thought I was in luck.

Boy, was I ever wrong. Sitting on the aisle, I have to constantly get up for those casual fans who, it seems, come to the games solely to drink golden liquid that passes for beer at Staples and then piss it away throughout the game.

These fans, apparently, have no idea that you aren't supposed to leave and arrive while the puck is in play. It hadn't happened all year, perhaps because the Kings scoring is at all-time lows, and their defense is damn good, but it happened tonight: I missed a goal because I was having to get up for the umpteeth time so some drunk can go piss his beer away.

There are so many fools in the aisle during the game now its becoming intolerable. My son is fed up. It is definitely time to move my seats and upgrade; unfortunately, I think I am stuck in these seats for the remainder of the season...but I will check with Guest Services on Monday night.

In any event, I will be upgrading next season. Middle of the section, TV side, lower in the arena. Sure, it will cost me a small fortune, but it's gotta be better than this bull-****.

I know someone complained about this on Kings Talk one night about fans who don't honor the etiquette, and Nick missed the point: he said the Kings have been in southern California for 45 years, you think the fans would know it by now. But its not us oldtimers or the serious fans; its the casual fans who don't know offsides from icing and seemingly only come to games to get wasted and couldn't give two ***** whether anyone cared about their behavior or not.

I think the Staples announcer accommodated us frustrated fans one time all year by making an announcement. They really should announce it throughout the game so these numbskulls might learn something.

Well, rant is over. Just wondered if any of you have had the same experience as I have had this season. Or if you have noticed trends that I cannot attest to.
If they make the announcement they make it right before warmups which is when absolutely no one is in their seats.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:55 AM
yankeeking

last year my seats were in 304 on the aisle and it drove us crazy how many times these peoiple just come in late ,search for their seats while blocking our view over and over and almost lead to a few fights, then they pay no attention to the game ******** louder and louder as they get drunker......very frustrating, hopefully it wiull get better here as we win more and the seats are in more demand and are filled by hockey fans not with people who were given the tickets for free. Its funny you say this tonight I mentioned to my son about half way thru the third period that the crowd was more like the pond lately then ever, how sad

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
last year my seats were in 304 on the aisle and it drove us crazy how many times these peoiple just come in late ,search for their seats while blocking our view over and over and almost lead to a few fights, then they pay no attention to the game ******** louder and louder as they get drunker......very frustrating, hopefully it wiull get better here as we win more and the seats are in more demand and are filled by hockey fans not with people who were given the tickets for free. Its funny you say this tonight I mentioned to my son about half way thru the third period that the crowd was more like the pond lately then ever, how sad
Exactly.

I am in section 334 and I have noticed only four other fans in my entire section who appear to regularly attend the games as season ticket holders. I am sure there are many more season ticket holders but sell off the seats.

It's the same this year. Many late arrivals (especially on Thursdays and Saturdays), many blocking the aisle, searching for seats, I have had to tell people to "find your seats!" or "you are blocking the view!"

My son told me it will be better during the playoffs when all the serious fans come to the games; I sure hope so...haven't been to a playoff game since 1977.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:27 AM
yankeeking

not to be discouraging but its not the same here as it was at the forum, not sure why if its the closeness or actually the lack of closeness here but there was magic and elecricity in the air when you walked into the forum at playoff time that I have yet to feel here at staples but it is much better at playoff time for atmosphere than during the season so your son is right

Old
01-22-2012, 04:00 AM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
You must be in the lower half. im center of the top row, and ive been there for a few years now. the 4 seats to the right of me and the two seats to the left of me are ticket broker/box office tix. nobody is ever next to me and its quite nice.. but yes, always someone on the lower half of 304 getting to their seats in the middle of play.

Day after xmas game was the worst.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Do the sections not yell at these people anymore? I remember at the Forum most of our section would yell at anyone, including Kingston, if they were wondering around during play.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
You must be in the lower half. im center of the top row, and ive been there for a few years now. the 4 seats to the right of me and the two seats to the left of me are ticket broker/box office tix. nobody is ever next to me and its quite nice.. but yes, always someone on the lower half of 304 getting to their seats in the middle of play.

Day after xmas game was the worst.
we were in row 9 aisle seats and right on goal line but foolishly moved to 319 this year middle of row and we hate it, not sure if its the play or our seats but something is missing in the games this year ( could be the goals we are not scoring lol ) after being a fan for 38 years and a partial tix holder for years, I live in riverside so I only do the half season, there is a lack of something that has taken root this year and I don't think is just the play because we have had some pretty bad teams over the years and I always thoght if we just make the playoffs we could get hot and ride checkmanick or grahamne(SP 2X) or some other bum to a cup but even with quickie and a better team it just doesn't feel right this year, maybe there is a pill for this I know qualudes helped back in the day lol

Old
01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I'm rather tall, so I like the aisle seats, but I hate it when people need to leave my aisle 3-4 per period. **** them.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Sitting in the 300's is comparable to sitting in the bleachers at a baseball game. I wouldn't expect good manners or people who knew how to control their liquor intake if I sat up there. People don't drink at sporting events any more, they get drunk cause they're alcoholics.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
fsanford

On Saturday's it seems we don't get our normal usher, at least in my section, so
the newby ushers treat it like basketball and let patrons run a muck.

That said the NHL is partly to blame, they sped up the game, quicker drop of the pucks on face off's etc.. If the person is near the front a section in the lower bowl, or is
near the back of the section in the 300 level, there is might not a lot of time to get to a seat before the puck is dropped.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Totally agree.

I remember when I was a little kid going to games at the Forum I used to see people getting yelled at all the time by everyone in the section. "Down in front!!", must have heard it 20 times a game. It was the culture of the crowd. It was grown men drinking beer, yelling profanities, and watching the team that they loved. Sure there were kids and casual fans there but you learned your place very quicky. Now it's dance cam, kiss cam, Bailey, and the metro game show host taking over Staples Center. Sometimes I wish I was a season ticket holder simply to have a voice in this matter.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Martyros

i'll be seated at the 4th seat, and people have to walk from my side all the way to the other isle...... I get my food/drink right before the players enter for the skate-around before the national anthem and never get back up.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

No idea if they do this at the Staples Centre, but here at the MTS Centre for Jets games (and all other types of games before that) when the puck is in play, fans aren't permitted back into the arena area from the concourse. Each entry point has an attendant who blocks people from coming back in until the whistle has blown. Then fans are allowed back in. It really cuts down on how many fans come and go during the game.

Maybe there's also less casual fans with it being in Canada, but the problem you describe doesn't seem to happen here. Does the Staples Centre crew allow people to just come and go as they like or halt traffic back into the arena during game play like I described?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
No idea if they do this at the Staples Centre, but here at the MTS Centre for Jets games (and all other types of games before that) when the puck is in play, fans aren't permitted back into the arena area from the concourse. Each entry point has an attendant who blocks people from coming back in until the whistle has blown. Then fans are allowed back in. It really cuts down on how many fans come and go during the game.

Maybe there's also less casual fans with it being in Canada, but the problem you describe doesn't seem to happen here. Does the Staples Centre crew allow people to just come and go as they like or halt traffic back into the arena during game play like I described?
Oh, we have ushers. Just most of them don't seem to know what their job is or how to do it. The last two games my wife & I went down to the usher for our aisle and explained to them how to do their job. After that, they were pretty good.
Also, we tend to get in the face of "fans" who don't know any better. If you hear the shrill cry echoing through the stadium, coming from section 218, of, "Down in front!" or "We're not paying to watch YOU!", that would be us.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Yeah, the usher in my section halts movement while the puck is in play.

The ironic part is once there is a play stoppage, all the cretins with their beer come up the aisle, and then the puck goes back into play. The result: I am blocked from viewing live action by the slow cretins going back to their seats.

I simply have to get better seats for next season, to avoid this as much as I possibly can.

Old
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
The usher in charge of 205 does a pretty good job of stopping people. I guess we are pretty lucky though because we sit in the aisle and there is only one way out in the row. When people leave they usually only do it after a whistle. Thats too bad you have to deal with that up there, hopefully they can take care of you.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Nothing is worse than being at United Center and the guy comes up every 5 minutes right where I was sitting and would scream beer at the top of his lungs for a minute.

cheap77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Quattro

in general I think people usually adhere to the stoppage of play rule in my section. The ushers hold people at the tunnel entrances until a whistle. There's the occasional dolt who gets up mid-play but not so often that it is a major issue. I sit on the aisle as well.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

What the OP said should go for the vendors that bring the food in the PR sections. Deliver the food during a stoppage in play.

I don't drink to excess at a game ever. I come to watch the game and be entertained, not try to be the entertainment as some do.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

The ushers do a decent job of prevent people from going to their seats during game play.

What bugs me is people leaving their seats while the game is going on, or even worse, leaving their seats 5 times a period (regardless of whether or not it was a stoppage). It's just rude.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

you guys should get together and buy in bulk in the same section. Buy an entire row if possible, then there would less concerns for sure. Be good talk on the boards too!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
you guys should get together and buy in bulk in the same section. Buy an entire row if possible, then there would less concerns for sure. Be good talk on the boards too!
totally agree with this

next year section ???

and if you cant attend the games, auction it off on the boards, or heck give them away it beats sitting next to casual fans or your dates (i hate bringing my dates to hockey games, i learned it the hard way...)

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Kingurentai

This thread should be renamed: Real world problems.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Yeah, I can't stand it when people don't at least make an effort to hide themselves when the puck is in play. I've been caught in the middle of getting to my seat and I at least crouch down or bend over and get to my seat asap.

The ushers though are pretty bad at letting too many people go when the puck stops for a face-off.

Other than that, I try really hard not to cuss when I see kids sitting around me. Sometimes the f-bomb gets through though if the play is bad enough.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote