HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

rask vs price

View Poll Results: Well
Price 92 59.74%
Rask 62 40.26%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I love how having a good dman in front of you makes you worse.

That being said, I still think Price is and will be better, and he would with a better dman, yes. But that doesn't change the fact that Rask's numbers will be higher with Chara in front of him. It benefits the team. It doesn't make him worse.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

vCash: 500
Voted Price but I think it's pretty close. Good poll.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Muminek

Price, but it is very close, Rask has shown his talent on every level from Juniors to NHL.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Price has proven more. Given Rask's dominance at times I tend to think he will be better after Timmy retires, but Price has played full seasons and was elite last year.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
4th line energy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Let's see him play likethat for 70+ games a year and without chara that'll be funny.
Then let's see him play on one leg blindfolded with Montreals D and a baby in his arms.

If he can still do that for 70 games let's see him with no arms that'll be funny bet he couldnt do it then.

4th line energy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:44 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I voted for Tuukka because I happened to still have my Bruins glasses on from today's game, however, love Price- super young goalie, class act, and would take him on my team any day.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:20 PM
mytor4*

I pick Price. I think Price is and will continue to be better than Rask but i also think Rask will end up in the top 5 down the road.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Temego

So.. Rask has a good team in front of him so he simply cant be the better goalie? And when the Bruins were the lowest scoring team in the entire league and Rask almost carried them to conference finals, it doesnt count cause he didnt play enough games?

Rask has the higher upside. Most of the non-canadian people seem to agree.

Temego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temego View Post
So.. Rask has a good team in front of him so he simply cant be the better goalie? And when the Bruins were the lowest scoring team in the entire league and Rask almost carried them to conference finals, it doesnt count cause he didnt play enough games?

Correction, most of the Boston people seem to agree,

No, whats happening here is people in Boston citing stat lines as a reason that Rask is better and the general consensus saying that stat line cannot be used because of the difference in defenseman quality. On one team you have a GM making ridiculous decisions regarding the defense and on the other you have very reasonable ones.

Price plays behind this
Subban 6'0 - Gorges 6'0
Gill 6'7- Emelin 6'0
Diaz5'11-Campoli5'11
kaberle5'11- Weber 5'10

Rask plays behind this
Boychuk-Chara
Kampfer-Corvo
Ference-Mcquaid
Seidenberg

On top of having some of the best two way forward players in the league

one team is properly managed, the other not so much Tinordi beaulieu and Dietz are all about two years away, the defense is starting to look huge (thank god). Which tells me we have for once an outside shot of a good team I just dont think that using stats as an indicator is prudent and if you speak to any former goaltender they usually say the same thing, prices skill set is outrageous. As one myself he has the whole package, one of the best puckhandling goalies in the league, is basically a third defenseman at times, one of the best positionally, one of the calmest.

The 72 games regular season last year as well, at about the forty game mark he had a stat line .933 and as he played into the seventies it decreased and rather rapidly at that

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
If you want say stuff like that, I'm going to reply wit that it was Vs. the league worst scoring team.
Do they average more then 0 goals a game? Oh they actually average over 2 a game?

Awesome, point still stands. Rask stopped 41 shots and allowed zero goals in the game without Chara in front of him against a playoff team in the west.

But Price plays more games.... yes, and Rask stops a far higher percentage of pucks.
But Price doesn't have Chara... yes, and Rask stops a far higher percentage of pucks.

Honestly not sure how you could get a AINEC out of that for either guy. Personally, I think it's impossible to tell at the moment. Once Rask actually becomes the starter in Boston there'll be something to compare.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Halifaxhab*

I know it seems homerish, but I honestly feel Price is the better choice.

That said, Rask is going to force the Bs hand by the summer. You can't have him as a backup any longer, he'll want his shot. Thomas is great, but Rask will definately want his shot.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Toastman

Price, but Rask is proving he is a legit #1 goalie. He is definately a stud and I wouldn't be a surprised if he was nominated or even won the Vezina in the near future.

On a side note, I still can't believe the Rask-Raycroft trade

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:

I don't think people are saying that Rask is worse because he has a better D in front of him, they're saying that his stats are skewed. Chara and the other D keep all the shots to the outside and they get rid of traffic on front of the net. Shots that get through are easiser saves than the ones Price has to deal with.

And most of the non-Canadian people don't seem to agree. Price has shown he can kick ass. Rask has shown he can be really solid for half a season at a time. Price had his sophomore slump and other than that he's been really solid, often carrying a less-than-stellar team on his back, something that Rask has never been forced to do.

Don't think that Rask is better cause his team wins, Osgood was never considered better than other goalies because he was on winning teams.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

When you're talking top-10 NHL goalies, you've usually got years where one is a bit ahead of the other, and vice versa, and years where the defense or team in front of one is better than the other and so on. So it's never clear cut who is better. Lundqvist might be one year, Thomas another, Rinne or Miller challenging another year, etc.

To me, Price has established himself in that category. Rask's play is... "strongly suggestive" that he'll be there too. And then, when they are both settled in there, it'll be year to year, minute to minute who is considered better. You won't be able to go wrong with one or the other, to the point where the argument kid of should be moot.

The only caveat is that Rask actually has to finish off that dangling caveat, he has to actually take over the reins from Thomas, and convert the "strongly suggestive" into established consensus. I'm confident (or rather fearful) that he will indeed do so.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
shootingrubber

Price.

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Both uber talented, voted Price because I like him and he's a tad more proven. I think raw potential is pretty similar, to be elite goalies for years and years.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Lebowski

Quote:

"Most of the non-canadian people seem to agree"... What do you mean? Because we are Canadians, we must vote for the Canadian boy? That whole Euro "racism" accusations have to stop. I don't think anybody ever considered the fact that Price is a Canadian to tilt the balance in his favor.

Other than that, it's pretty hard to gauge an "upside". It's been what, 4 years Bruins' goalies have been having crazy numbers? Doesn't that ring a bell to you? Unless they are both the next coming of Dominik Hasek/Martin Brodeur, which they probably aren't, I think part of that success comes from their team defense philosophy. Also, Rask doesn't even have 100 career games in 5 seasons while Price posted elite numbers and played 72 games... Last season.

It's not impossible that Rask will/is better than Price, but until he is put into a somewhat comparable position to Price, or at the very least plays over half a season while maintaining his high level of play, then we'll talk. Until then, it's hard to vote for Rask, who barely plays 30 games a year.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Both of these goalies don't have much upside. They are already in their primes pretty much. So it's Price. Easily.

Rask could not of made such a bad team a playoff team (referring to last season with the habs).

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
AllAbout813

Both good goalies Id love to have on the lightning, but I would take Price if I had my pick of the two.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Price. He just accomplished more than Rask as of right now.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Atren

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUhockey View Post
Yes because Rask not starting 65+ isn't totally out of his control or anything.
It actually is within his control. He got Bruins starer role once over Thomas so all he would have to do is repeat that. Only caveat in this is that Thomas is not Price so it does not matter much for this comparison.

In my view Price is safer pick, but overall difference between them is not decisive.

Atren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:01 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Price. He just accomplished more than Rask as of right now.
Price has won a playoff series and led the league in save % and GAA? I was not aware of that.

It's Rask

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Price has won a playoff series and led the league in save % and GAA? I was not aware of that.

It's Rask
Well he has won a playoff series, to be fair.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Carey Price

Le Magnifique 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:42 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!