HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread #2

Last ones at 1000

Old
01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm not sure on the cap numbers, but we'd still have Setoguchi and Coyle if we had overpaid Hamhuis to $5 million. That is worth the overpayment. No offense to Brent Burns meant, but that sounds better to me than where we're at now. (Of course I'm assuming DW stays the heck away from Handzus as a UFA)

I'm saying that we are running out of non-draft pick things - prospects, expendable young roster players. Anyone can trade a ton of picks, but other teams can do that too. They will want good prospects and picks.
Maybe...maybe not. Only time will tell. Having them to deal for something else may have been beneficial but there's no guarantee that giving Hamhuis 5 mil a year is good enough to get him to sign away from Vancouver. It's impossible to tell. The team did what it had to do to address an obvious need that is still more important than forward depth in getting a top end puck-moving d-man that can even play against top competition. That's why they were after Hamhuis in the first place.

They still have enough good prospects to make a trade for what they want. That's all that matters. If they were looking for something like another top d-man, they would be in trouble but they're not. They're looking for someone who will fit on their 3rd line...maybe a second line acquisition. That doesn't require more than what they have.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Maybe...maybe not. Only time will tell. Having them to deal for something else may have been beneficial but there's no guarantee that giving Hamhuis 5 mil a year is good enough to get him to sign away from Vancouver. It's impossible to tell. The team did what it had to do to address an obvious need that is still more important than forward depth in getting a top end puck-moving d-man that can even play against top competition. That's why they were after Hamhuis in the first place.

They still have enough good prospects to make a trade for what they want. That's all that matters. If they were looking for something like another top d-man, they would be in trouble but they're not. They're looking for someone who will fit on their 3rd line...maybe a second line acquisition. That doesn't require more than what they have.
Re: the goalie part (forgot to respond to it in my last post) I was wrong - thought we drafted JP Anderson, but he was signed.

We're getting really close to where trading the picks will start hurting us. 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders take about 3 years to arrive - which would be right when we would need them to replace parts of te big forwards. It's not a big deal, but it could create a problem if we still cannot sign UFAs. (some of these picks will have top-6 potential)

I'm beginning to think that getting one forward at the deadline won't be enough. Maybe it's been so long since Havlat has played (or been effective) that I'm forgetting how good he is (so we could get by without two), but we still need at least one solid 3rd liner. Two new forwards would be ideal. Shipping out Mitchell and Handzus would be the best way to do it. We can move Pavelski back to center again like we did last year.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
\Maybe it's been so long since Havlat has played (or been effective) that I'm forgetting how good he is.
He is a great playmaker. Period.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:18 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtoBoston View Post
He is a great playmaker. Period.
Too bad he's always hurt.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
dwood16

Why does eveyone keep talking about Ruutu? He's barely ever even played in the playoffs and wasn't productive. He's good offensively but how is he overall?

Old
01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Why does eveyone keep talking about Ruutu? He's barely ever even played in the playoffs and wasn't productive. He's good offensively but how is he overall?
Overall he is physical, decent speed, (especially compared to the sharks), and has the versatility to play LW or RW. He could basically play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line on our team.

High cap hit, probably high enough that we wouldn't be able to resign him.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Hopefully with the new thread, the Miller to SJ talk ends. I wouldn't want a player that whines to the media playing in teal anyway.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Hopefully with the new thread, the Miller to SJ talk ends. I wouldn't want a player that whines to the media playing in teal anyway.
Nitty 2.0 eh?

Old
01-22-2012, 06:29 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
He's the biggest catch at TDL with Hemsky, but when considering Hemsky's injury history- Ruutu has an edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Overall he is physical, decent speed, (especially compared to the sharks), and has the versatility to play LW or RW. He could basically play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line on our team.

High cap hit, probably high enough that we wouldn't be able to resign him.
He can play C also, but I wouldn't suggest it until it's the last choice available.

IMO, he does one of these three at or before July 1st:

Option 1: He signs for a discount with a contender, of course the one having the edge that acquired him at TDL. 3M $ caphit, multi-year contract.

Option 2: He signs to play alongside his BFF Koivu at the state of hockey.

Option 3: He stays with the Canes.
Quote:
I don't get it where people have heard this. It was the media not Miller that speculated that Miller is unhappy at Buffalo, and connected his wife to the rumours by saying that he wants to be close to her with a California team.

Miller said to the media himself that the rumours are complete BS, end of discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Nitty 2.0 eh?
You wouldn't whine if you are left to the pressbox? Yeah right.

Old
01-22-2012, 06:50 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I wonder exactly when PHX will and if they would sell Doan. He would certainly be a game changer for our playoff run.

Old
01-22-2012, 06:55 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
You wouldn't whine if you are left to the pressbox? Yeah right.
I wouldn't whine if I was making 2 million a year.

Old
01-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Sooooooo you bring it up?

01-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Korolyuk15

Hemsky would be nice but I'm not sure what the sharks would send back as they don't really have the young solid D prospect edmonton would want most...

ideas?

Old
01-22-2012, 07:15 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
Hemsky would be nice but I'm not sure what the sharks would send back as they don't really have the young solid D prospect edmonton would want most...

ideas?

One injury-prone Czech is enough for this team.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Korolyuk15

but think, if you have two of them then every other game one of them might be able to play....

Old
01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

Leaves us with about $1.7MM in cap space to make another move at the deadline (Ruutu?) Mitchell and Nitty are two players we don't need. Downie would be a great addition for the playoffs. We could use someone that throws his body around and gets under the other team's skin.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
It's not his fault he hasn't played in the playoffs. He played for Chicago up until the year before they stopped being crap and has played for some pretty terrible Canes teams save for the 08-09 squad.

He had two terrific seasons on both sides of the puck from 2008 through 2010. He's been decent the past 1.5 years.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
SharkByte32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

Leaves us with about $1.7MM in cap space to make another move at the deadline (Ruutu?) Mitchell and Nitty are two players we don't need. Downie would be a great addition for the playoffs. We could use someone that throws his body around and gets under the other team's skin.

This would be a fantastic trade for us but it is not going to happen. TB already let Niitty walk, and he is not even proven he is over his latest injury yet. And Mitchell is worth absolutely nothing but a low level grinder or a 6th round pick. There are 200 Mitchell types in the AHL right now.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

I would love that trade but as already mentioned it wouldnt happen

Old
01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
SharkByte32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
It's not his fault he hasn't played in the playoffs. He played for Chicago up until the year before they stopped being crap and has played for some pretty terrible Canes teams save for the 08-09 squad.
He had two terrific seasons on both sides of the puck from 2008 through 2010. He's been decent the past 1.5 years.

I like Ruutu he was 2nd in the league last year in hits with 309. The guy is a checking machine, something we really need. Plus he can score.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

If DW could swing that, he probably would have already... Bet Niitty hurt whatever trade value he has left with his poor showing in Worcester this weekend

Old
01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkByte32 View Post
This would be a fantastic trade for us but it is not going to happen. TB already let Niitty walk, and he is not even proven he is over his latest injury yet. And Mitchell is worth absolutely nothing but a low level grinder or a 6th round pick. There are 200 Mitchell types in the AHL right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
I would love that trade but as already mentioned it wouldnt happen
What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?

Old
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?
The Sharks won't get a player that will help them this season for Niitty and / or Mitchell. The most either will get alone is a late draft pick.

Mitchell's actually been one of the better players the past few games but Wilson should be trying to find an upgrade for him.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
SharksAddict

I have a feeling Rutuu is going to cost a lot more in assets than people think. He's arguably the best forward available and seemingly every contender is looking for another top 6 forward right now. Going to be a lot of suitors for him.

Closed Thread