HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan McDonagh (1/23: Skating in practice; only had wind knocked out of him)

Old
01-22-2012, 06:40 AM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
ha ha. glad to see this thread went from 8 pages to 6.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:05 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
flame away, but it looked like he was crying by the way his body moving while he was face down.
You'd only get flamed for actually thinking thats a big deal. Anyone who's ever had a big time injury or suffered a moment of severe pain in sports understands that the natural reaction of the body is to tear up. Nothing wrong with it.

From the start it's just a completely stupid decision by Ference one that I'd bet he immediately regretted and wasn't done "with malice". Just about the dumbest hit you could make and he will get a well earned suspension.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Well that confirms Shanahan is a puppet.

These rejects in the league complain non stop about the dirty hits to the head and the hits from behind, and EVERY chance they have to really make a difference and make an example by suspending a player long term based on HIS ACTIONS NOT THE OUTCOME, they do the same old **** 5 game nonsense.

THAT'll show 'em! A whole five games!

Shanahan is as much of a joke as Campbell. No guts. Just a puppet.

Things like this are why the NHL is viewed as a joke in the major pro sports world.

They'll say "don't do it or else" and the 'or else' turns out to be an empty threat.

Not enough room on the playing surface? Don't make the surface bigger, take out the red line and put ****ing retarded trapezoids behind the net that'll work...most of the arenas don't fill the extra thousand seats that would be removed to make the rinks bigger, should've made the rinks bigger.

Don't allow players to police the game, so there's ZERO repercussion for acts like this, not from players and not from the league. And you wonder why it happens?

They preach "respect your fellow player" yet the league refuses to show the player respect when his life was put in danger by a stupid INTENTIONAL play. It was intentional, anyone who says otherwise is naive. He may have regretted it as it was happening, but he did it and he knew he was doing it.

They could change the hard ass boards to padded boards, and substitute the glass with some kind of gel/plastic so the players aren't hitting what may as well be a cement wall.

Talk about mandating helmets in warmups but not visors during games? EVERY league besides the NHL mandates some sort of facial protection.

The league is a joke.

The people who run it are a joke.

If it weren't for the Rangers and the trophy, I wouldn't be giving the NHL my time. There are other leagues, ran better, that simply don't have the money or press.

The AHL is a better run league. The SEL is a better run league.

The NHL has NO excuse. They have clout. The money. The press. The history. And the trophy (Stanley Cup). And they have RETARDS running the league.

Shanahan had potential, but like every new president that promises change, they can't beat foreign policy, they can't radically change the system, there are checks they can't change.

Same **** with the NHL. You have that weasel Bettman running the show, and puppets like Shanahan rapping his jaw bone but nothing meaningful from his brain coming out of it.

Ference should be made an example of. 20+ games, no pay.

You think the next baboon will decide to hit the numbers along the boards?

No, go right ahead and do the same **** you've always done. See what change comes.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Vitto79

so if they have to sit McD for Tuesday is Woywitka 100%?

good timing for Sauer and Eminger potentially back

although I think McD will be fine after some rest

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so if they have to sit McD for Tuesday is Woywitka 100%?

good timing for Sauer and Eminger potentially back

although I think McD will be fine after some rest
Even if McD is out for Tuesday, I wouldn't bring Sauer back, let him sit out Tuesday as well so that he can get an extra week of rest. With Woywika ready to go I see no reason to rush Sauer back with the break coming up even if he is "ready."

Old
01-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

2. A lot of different views on what happened. I think it's a seperated shoulder, out 4-6 weeks.
He put weight on both of his arms while he was on his knees, you simply can't do that with a separated shoulder. I screwed up my shoulder once slipping on frozen ground while sprinting and landing on my outstretched arm/shoulder. It popped out and back in and I couldn't do ANYTHING with it for days. Just the slightest move made it feel like it was falling back out of joint again. Now I"m an idiot and didn't go to the doctor, but my point is that at the least, my injury was less significant than the kind of separated shoulders hockey players get and it was literally impossible for me to put any weight at all on my shoulder until it healed up.

I'd be hugely, hugely surprised if it's his shoulder

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

These rejects in the league complain non stop about the dirty hits to the head and the hits from behind, and EVERY chance they have to really make a difference and make an example by suspending a player long term based on HIS ACTIONS NOT THE OUTCOME, they do the same old **** 5 game nonsense.

Things like this are why the NHL is viewed as a joke in the major pro sports world.

They'll say "don't do it or else" and the 'or else' turns out to be an empty threat.

Not enough room on the playing surface? Don't make the surface bigger, take out the red line and put ****ing retarded trapezoids behind the net that'll work...most of the arenas don't fill the extra thousand seats that would be removed to make the rinks bigger, should've made the rinks bigger.

Don't allow players to police the game, so there's ZERO repercussion for acts like this, not from players and not from the league. And you wonder why it happens?

They preach "respect your fellow player" yet the league refuses to show the player respect when his life was put in danger by a stupid INTENTIONAL play. It was intentional, anyone who says otherwise is naive. He may have regretted it as it was happening, but he did it and he knew he was doing it.

They could change the hard ass boards to padded boards, and substitute the glass with some kind of gel/plastic so the players aren't hitting what may as well be a cement wall.

Talk about mandating helmets in warmups but not visors during games? EVERY league besides the NHL mandates some sort of facial protection.

The league is a joke.

If it weren't for the Rangers and the trophy, I wouldn't be giving the NHL my time. There are other leagues, ran better, that simply don't have the money or press.

The NHL has NO excuse. They have clout. The money. The press. The history. And the trophy (Stanley Cup). And they have RETARDS running the league.

Shanahan had potential, but like every new president that promises change, they can't beat foreign policy, they can't radically change the system, there are checks they can't change.

Same **** with the NHL. You have that weasel Bettman running the show, and puppets like Shanahan rapping his jaw bone but nothing meaningful from his brain coming out of it.

No, go right ahead and do the same **** you've always done. See what change comes.
This is one of the best posts I've ever read on here and you are 100% right about how poorly the league is run.

The way I see it, the league desperately needs a new face as commissioner(preferably a hockey guy like Gretzky) before they can institute any meaningful change across the board especially as it relates to these dangerous hits from behind near the boards. If the league grew a pair of ***** and handed out 15-20 game suspensions instead of a slap on the wrists, you'd see players think twice about it before pile driving a prone player along the boards, leading with their shoulders or getting their elbows up near an opponents head.

Well done!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
This is dumb. Football, the biggest sport around in the US, just got around to making hitting defenseless players in the head a penalty/suspendable offense. Then Harrison goes off on them about it and keeps hitting guys in the head and it took them like three hits by him after that to finally suspend him?

As much as I want the NHL to improve how they protect their players, I don't want it to turn into IIHF hockey where every time there's a big hit no matter how clean, they call a penalty. That's BS and really will take hitting out of the game completely

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Rangers1135

Why don't they suspend guys longer, like for 10-20 games to teach them a lesson. Why wait until someones career is ended and then suspended him for 20. You can prevent it by teaching them a lesson.

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:19 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Conference call discipline hearing for Andrew Ference this morning. 10am for hit on McDonagh.
https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/...82676508491776

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:23 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

Say what you want about how the league is run (bc its an extremely flawed business). HOWEVER, I totally disagree with your take on Shanahan. He has done more in 18 months with these dangerous hits than the League has done in 20 yrs. All you have to do is watch tapes of Matt Cooke to confirm. These are split second decisions and that hit came late in a tied hockey game with two guys going hard for the puck. Yes, it was dirty and yes it needs to stop but Ference is not a filthy player and 5 games will certainly get his attention. Repeat guys get more...

I can't say enough great things about Shanny's influence on the game. He has to balance protecting players with the 'old schoolers' who think these hits should be legal. The GM's and owners that want their guys on the ice playing so they win games and fill the seats. The media that loves to show these hits over and over. Your take is shortsighted. Shanny has done an amazing job and there are less and less of these hits every game. He should be applauded!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Figure a Ference decision by approx 1 pm.
https://twitter.com/#!/GlobeKPD/stat...94767768383488

Boston plays Philly at 3pm today

Old
01-22-2012, 08:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

You see that's the problem. That's the mentality. And the reason the problem won't be fixed.

"Not a repeat offender"
"He's not that type of player"

I don't care.

He did it. End of story. He needs to pay. There needs to be an example made.

5 games? That's not scaring anyone.

Matt Cooke didn't change because of suspension. He changed because he was a garbage player and wanted to stay in the NHL.

I wont "applaud" Shanahan until he does something to actually make a difference.

5 games isn't changing ****.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Dorado*

The right call was made on the play . It was a dangerous play made in a split second in OT on a chip and chase with speed . The fact that it was a tight game in OT takes any malicious intent to injure out of the equation . 5 games is a lot of money $$$$. 20 games for a Player that doesn't have a rep as a head hunter is a lot of money . Boston lost the game , that is a penalty in itself . Shanahan former players union rep is not going to dole out 20 game hits to players he used to rep . Is this a conflict of interest ? Yes . Is it a dog and pony show ? Yes .The Ference hit was a borderline irresponsible play but a hockey play , just one with poor judgment . Boston has some chippy players , Ference isn't one of them . It's unfortunate it happened to our new top D Man and let's take the homer goggles off and realize that if it was a bad play and penalized immediately on the ice and will be dealt with by the league . Hockey is "'the fastest game " and a contact sport these hits happen and will continue to happen , especially when they play the game fo money and they keep score . Let's just hope Ryan is OK and doesn't miss too much time . Ference will get his rip but people calling for seasons and 20 games etc perhaps don't work UNION JOBS and should realize that ain't going to fly . The players as protected as they want to be especially the stars don't want the game cheapened or to lose that much $$$$ for split second decisions that perhaps will never be taken out of their hockey DNA. FERENCE saw the chance to separate McD from the puck retrieve it and make a hockey play in a 4-4 situation and possibly win a game in OT . IT was a poor decision buy IMO 5 games is just . Now next time it's 10 . PLAYERS like Cooke , SUBBAN , CARCILLO who routinely makes these dangerous injurious plays don't get the benefit of the doubt and should be dealt with more harshly .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:01 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I simply don't agree that a bang bang play late in a tied hockey game by a guy not known for it warrants a 10+ game suspension. It wasn't an intent to injure. He didn't drive his head into the glass. It wasn't a blindside hit in open ice with a guys head down. McDonagh went to play a puck behind the net and he knew a guy was on his tail. Its a play he's been making most of his life and he had to know contact was possible. Defenseman need to take some responsibility too. I'm not saying Ferance shouldn't be suspended or that it was McDonagh's fault. But 5 games for a play like that is plenty for a first time offender...

Old
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
There used to be a code of respect amongst hockey players back in the day... that code has been long removed from the game
I am kind of sick of hearing about this code. Is this the same one that Gordie Howe followed when he was elbowing and slashing players? Maybe it is the same one that the broadstreet bullies or Potvin followed in the 70's and 80s. (Remind me again why the Garden does the Potvin sucks chant?) Is it the same code that guys like Messier, Hunter and Samuelson followed?

The only difference between those guys and the ones today who start stuff is that back in the day they had to (and did) answer for their actions, today the instigator and the officials get in the way of that happening. Look at yesterday, Dubi went right after Ference but all four officials were there separating them.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:05 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Exactly right Dorado! It was a hockey play with no malicious intent. That has to count for something...

Old
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
No offical update yet, didn't look too good RT @the1andonlydg: @stevezipay what's status on mcdonagh? Is he out for extended period of time?
https://twitter.com/#!/stevezipay/st...94016413343744

This is why Newsday pays Zipay the big bucks? It didn't look too good.

McDonagh's head or face didn't hit the boards. Sauer's head hit the glass/top of the boards and Staal's face hit the ice.

Milbury is an idiot but it does look like McDonagh's left leg did catch a rut in the ice. McDonagh has gotten hit before without any incident. He is flexing his left leg in the air while he is on the ice and grabbed his groin. Did his left skate catch a rut and the force of his hit propel his left leg into the boards? He jammed his left leg. When he tried to get up,right leg first and had trouble with his left leg.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:22 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

If I didn't get Newsday as part of my internet sub to optimum online, there's no way I would EVER pay for Newsday site access. It's terrible, the website is terrible, and Zipay doesn't offer much that's already available elsewhere.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Jacques Strap

Quote:

The league is a joke.

Great post !!! All kidding aside, you should send this letter to the NHL offices. Might get them thinking !!!

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Shanahan has done a decent job. Not great, but certainly better than those before him. He's a big step in the right direction. Change in professional sports tends to happen at a glacial pace.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The right call was made on the play . It was a dangerous play made in a split second in OT on a chip and chase with speed . The fact that it was a tight game in OT takes any malicious intent to injure out of the equation . 5 games is a lot of money $$$$. 20 games for a Player that doesn't have a rep as a head hunter is a lot of money . Boston lost the game , that is a penalty in itself . Shanahan former players union rep is not going to dole out 20 game hits to players he used to rep . Is this a conflict of interest ? Yes . Is it a dog and pony show ? Yes .The Ference hit was a borderline irresponsible play but a hockey play , just one with poor judgment . Boston has some chippy players , Ference isn't one of them . It's unfortunate it happened to our new top D Man and let's take the homer goggles off and realize that if it was a bad play and penalized immediately on the ice and will be dealt with by the league . Hockey is "'the fastest game " and a contact sport these hits happen and will continue to happen , especially when they play the game fo money and they keep score . Let's just hope Ryan is OK and doesn't miss too much time . Ference will get his rip but people calling for seasons and 20 games etc perhaps don't work UNION JOBS and should realize that ain't going to fly . The players as protected as they want to be especially the stars don't want the game cheapened or to lose that much $$$$ for split second decisions that perhaps will never be taken out of their hockey DNA. FERENCE saw the chance to separate McD from the puck retrieve it and make a hockey play in a 4-4 situation and possibly win a game in OT . IT was a poor decision buy IMO 5 games is just . Now next time it's 10 . PLAYERS like Cooke , SUBBAN , CARCILLO who routinely makes these dangerous injurious plays don't get the benefit of the doubt and should be dealt with more harshly .
i agree with this and darrenturcotte. i think it was a foolish and unfortunate play but not dirty. and the way the rangers went after ference, i think, proves that. they weren't too hung up on getting after him. unlike kopecky, who obviously broke the code. ference just pulled a homer. not that he gets a pass for it, five games would send a big message. but i feel more like this was bad luck and bad timing. nothing too nasty.
i like how the rangers took it to the bruins and left the bruins overreacting and having to answer for their spasticity.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
and the way the rangers went after ference, i think, proves that. they weren't too hung up on getting after him.
THey dd not go after hm becuase it was OT and the Bruins would have jumped for joy if a Rangers player would have went to the box. IF that hit happened in the second period, the reaction would have been much different. I tend to think that at some point during the season, Ference's time will come

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:07 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Agree with this.

It was a bad hit. No doubt. Ference himself admits it--so he's not too proud of himself. Give him credit for that. He's not offering up a bunch of ******** excuses. Talk about cowardice is just blah, blah, blah. Make no mistake--a bad decision or not--something like this can happen so fast that it's over before the player fully realizes what he's done. The same or similar situation could very likely happen to one of our own players--and then a lot of us might be trying to defend him as well.

Just as an example McIlrath just freight trained another player with a head shot a week ago and some people here were like that was a great hit. No it wasn't and it seemed more deliberate than what Ference did here. Dylan got 8 games. Christian Thomas this season walloped another player in the face with his stick after he was knocked down. He was suspended as well. Both of them deserved it.

To me the punishment here should link to whatever injury McD sustained. If he's seriously hurt it should be 5-8. If not 2-3.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:09 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
THey dd not go after hm becuase it was OT and the Bruins would have jumped for joy if a Rangers player would have went to the box. IF that hit happened in the second period, the reaction would have been much different. I tend to think that at some point during the season, Ference's time will come
No doubt the situation played a role, however watching the video again, the two refs and linesman all got in there to break it up pretty quickly. I hope the next game Ference has to answer to Rupp, much like Kopecky had to.