HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh (1/23: Skating in practice; only had wind knocked out of him)

Old
01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
BackBayNYR

vCash: 500
20 games?? Really? You really think that hit was on par with Chris Simon on Hollweg or Dal Hunter on Turgeon? Get a clue man, seriosuly. 1 or 2 games is more like what I'm thinking. This is a guy who hasn't had any prior issues and if you watch the play, all he did was hit him a split second earlier than he should have and would have resulted in a clean hit. As far as the NHL and Shanny are concerned, they are light years ahead of the other sports on how they deal with issues like this. The fact that Shanny comes out with a powerpoint presentation and explains how he interpreted the play and how he comes to the decision regarding the term of the suspension is a model for the NFL and MLB on how they should go about dealing with these situations in their leagues. Shanny has done an outstanding job in his role in my eyes.

BackBayNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The right call was made on the play . It was a dangerous play made in a split second in OT on a chip and chase with speed . The fact that it was a tight game in OT takes any malicious intent to injure out of the equation . 5 games is a lot of money $$$$. 20 games for a Player that doesn't have a rep as a head hunter is a lot of money . Boston lost the game , that is a penalty in itself . Shanahan former players union rep is not going to dole out 20 game hits to players he used to rep . Is this a conflict of interest ? Yes . Is it a dog and pony show ? Yes .The Ference hit was a borderline irresponsible play but a hockey play , just one with poor judgment . Boston has some chippy players , Ference isn't one of them . It's unfortunate it happened to our new top D Man and let's take the homer goggles off and realize that if it was a bad play and penalized immediately on the ice and will be dealt with by the league . Hockey is "'the fastest game " and a contact sport these hits happen and will continue to happen , especially when they play the game fo money and they keep score . Let's just hope Ryan is OK and doesn't miss too much time . Ference will get his rip but people calling for seasons and 20 games etc perhaps don't work UNION JOBS and should realize that ain't going to fly . The players as protected as they want to be especially the stars don't want the game cheapened or to lose that much $$$$ for split second decisions that perhaps will never be taken out of their hockey DNA. FERENCE saw the chance to separate McD from the puck retrieve it and make a hockey play in a 4-4 situation and possibly win a game in OT . IT was a poor decision buy IMO 5 games is just . Now next time it's 10 . PLAYERS like Cooke , SUBBAN , CARCILLO who routinely makes these dangerous injurious plays don't get the benefit of the doubt and should be dealt with more harshly .
Homer glasses? The Pacioretty hit was a "hockey" play?

"Hockey" play is not throwing a guy from behind headlong into the boards at full speed. That's called being an ass hole.

Chara should have been made an example of. That was another missed opportunity.

One of Cooke's many dirty plays were opportunities.

One of Subban's slew foots are an opportunity.

They aren't "hockey" plays.

The real purpose of checking is to knock the PUCK POSSESSER off the puck. That's it. The only real purpose. It evolved onto something else.

Checking used to refer to ANY play that prevented offensive progress.

Read a book written from a guy who played in the early years of the NHL as proof of the fact.

You can hit, shoulder to shoulder, making eye contact, both payers see it coming and are ready for it. That's a clean hit.

A hip check to stop forward progress, ass on hip, that's a clean hit.

Hit the numbers on the back, NEVER a clean hit. NOT a "hockey" play.

Guy's head is down, is not an invitation to knock him into next week. That's not a "hockey" play.

Taking the bull **** out of the game wont take the physicality away. It'll just make the physicality what its supposed to be. Man to man. Not coward ass hole to unsuspecting victim.

As a father, I would expect my children to learn the proper clean way to play. And if someone hurt my kid with bull **** like the McDonagh hit, I would have a long unpleasant "talk" with the parents and coach of the offending player. Because its their job to rectify it and teach the proper way to play.

Just like its the NHL's responsibility to rectify these situations and put mandates in place to prevent paralyzed players.

And five game suspensions and some cash is NOT going to solve the problem. Repeat offenders or first time.

Throw the ****ing book at someone. Make the example. Crucify someone. And players will wake up.

Or would you rather wait for this:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/story...ski-walk-again

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayNYR View Post
20 games?? Really? You really think that hit was on par with Chris Simon on Hollweg or Dal Hunter on Turgeon? Get a clue man, seriosuly. 1 or 2 games is more like what I'm thinking. This is a guy who hasn't had any prior issues and if you watch the play, all he did was hit him a split second earlier than he should have and would have resulted in a clean hit. As far as the NHL and Shanny are concerned, they are light years ahead of the other sports on how they deal with issues like this. The fact that Shanny comes out with a powerpoint presentation and explains how he interpreted the play and how he comes to the decision regarding the term of the suspension is a model for the NFL and MLB on how they should go about dealing with these situations in their leagues. Shanny has done an outstanding job in his role in my eyes.
A clue?

The problem will not stop with that mentality.

"Not that kind of player" doesn't mean he didn't do the act.

Again, you people can be content to wait for tragedy, I don't work that way.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 01-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
01-22-2012, 10:24 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
THey dd not go after hm becuase it was OT and the Bruins would have jumped for joy if a Rangers player would have went to the box. IF that hit happened in the second period, the reaction would have been much different. I tend to think that at some point during the season, Ference's time will come
i think that if it were a real transgression, you don't sweat the game situation. you stand up for your teammate. at least that's how i'd like it to be if i were - say - sucker-punched or had my knees submarined. in this case it wasn't so cut-and-dried, so there was less conviction in the reprisal. just my two cents.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

NO hits to the head.

NO hits from behind.

NO lateral (east west) hits.

Visors mandatory.

Neck guards mandatory.

Helmets mandatory, AT ALL TIMES. Including the bench and warmups.

NO contact with the goaltender, EVER.

That should be a guideline.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
BackBayNYR

These hits are going to happen playing this game. Its rough fast and physical. No matter how many suspensions you hand out and how much you fine someone, these things are going to happen regardless.

BackBayNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
NO hits to the head.

NO hits from behind.

Visors mandatory.

Neck guards mandatory.

Visors should not be mandatory,neither should neck guards..... goaltenders should be as fair to hit as anyone if he plays the puck out of his crease.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
A clue?

The problem will not stop with that parrot talking, sheep mentality.

"Not that kind of player" doesn't mean he didn't do the act.

Again, you people can be content to wait for tragedy, I don't work that way.
5 is too little. something more along the lines of 12-25 yea I'd agree with. Whole season for a second offense. Out of the game for a third offense. You see the back of the jersey you dont hit period. Tie a guy up. Dont hit. Or you're out for as long as the guy who got injured for that season. If McD ends up being out for 45 games I would be fine if Ference had to sit out the same length of time I think that's fair. I think Bettuzzi should still be out of the game. The stanchion with Chara was a freak play thats on the stadium and NHL for having some of the stupidest most bone-headed placement ever.

As far as taking it from a NHL guy who wrote a book....Put it this way I would never want advice on hockey from Enver Lisin. Some players do not make good coaches/advisors

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
92hatchattack

any news on McD yet?

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Dorado*

Way too emotional because it's our player and it's MCDONAGH our best young player . Ference wanted to seperate RMcd from the puck and did it a bit too soon . He pushed him. A 5 min boarding / hit from behind major and suspension coming . 20 games , make an example; part of me as a Ranger fan agrees with the eye for an eye swift hand of justice mentality some are having. . HOWEVER , put your self in BS shoes , former UNION man now management .... He knows both ends of the league and is handling the only way it will be dealt with to represent management and the Players union equitably . 20 games , seasons off etc harsh punishments that cost all parts their livlihood , as lavish as it may be. This is big time sports and should not be confused with any other level where they don't play for money . To use an analogy I am a paid NYC Firefighter ( LT actually ) what we do and what Volunteers upstate and on Long island are incomparable because whAt I do is PROFESSIONAL , the definition of which is FOR MONEY . Can't compare your kids league and it's standards to NHL , I'm sorry I'm a fan also but you can't get emotional and have to look at TH business end . The players union would represent even scum like CARCILLO , Trevor Gillies etc if the punishments became so black and white and harsh for every offense .'

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:38 AM
RGF

i wonder if its possible that the rangers will not release any injury information on mcd until after the nhl has ruled on ference in order to maximize the length of suspension.

thoughts?

i hope mcd is ok- it was a horrid to watch. i do not believe it is a upperbody injury. it will either be a lower body injury or i wonder if it was his lower jaw that grazed the side boards hard enough that he was just dazed.

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF View Post
i wonder if its possible that the rangers will not release any injury information on mcd until after the nhl has ruled on ference in order to maximize the length of suspension.

thoughts?

i hope mcd is ok- it was a horrid to watch. i do not believe it is a upperbody injury. it will either be a lower body injury or i wonder if it was his lower jaw that grazed the side boards hard enough that he was just dazed.
That's a good way to look at it. If it were real bad, they would've released it by now. If he's fine for the most part, they wait. I like that

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
NO hits to the head.

NO hits from behind.

Visors mandatory.

Neck guards mandatory.

Players like Scott Stevens loved to throw these in open ice.

Some were clean, some were dirty, but if they're clean, how can they be taken out of the game?

Last edited by Jabroni: 01-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Unlike others, Rangers didn't release McDonagh's full medical file prior to Ference hearing. Rare.
https://twitter.com/#!/GlobeFluto/st...13445134110720

Boston Globe Bruins beat writer

Are the Bruins accusing the Rangers of hiding McD's status? Someone told this guy about the medical file. McDonagh is OK and the Rangers are trying to get a Bruin suspended?

The hearing started at 10 and at 11,this tweet appears.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:59 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Are the Bruins accusing the Rangers of hiding McD's status? Someone told this guy about the medical file. McDonagh is OK and the Rangers are trying to get a Bruin suspended?

Two things:
1. It is the Ranger right to not release it.
2. The NHL has said that injuries do not affect the length of a suspension. This tests that theory.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
No doubt the situation played a role, however watching the video again, the two refs and linesman all got in there to break it up pretty quickly. I hope the next game Ference has to answer to Rupp, much like Kopecky had to.
Thats the way I see it. The refs diffused the situation pretty quickly, Dubinsky didn't look all too happy about that hit.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

It's actually not that rare at all.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:17 AM
broadwayblue

As much as you simply can't allow hits like this to be allowed, I can't see how Ference deserves 20 games. This wasn't an elbow to the head or some other evil malicious cheap shot. Did he push Ryan from behind? Absolutely. But you can't honestly say there was intent to injure. It was a bang bang play where Ference was in the wrong and he got a 5 minute major and his team ultimately lost the game. Additionally he may very well likely get a few games to think about what he should have done differently. But the guy was apologetic and I am inclined to believe him as he is not a repeat offender. Should he be allowed to get off scott free? No. But he shouldn't be suspended for a quarter of the season as a first time offender on an unintentional mistake.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
any news on McD yet?
No news until tomorrow. The Rangers don't practice today.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

When should we here from the league about Ference?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
When should we here from the league about Ference?
Within the hour. My guess is 3 games.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Within the hour. My guess is 3 games.
I see your three and raise you 1.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

If Marchand got 5 for flipping Salo, I don't see why this shouldn't get 5 as well. Although all crimes committed against the Rangers never go fully punished, so I'm gonna say 3 games is what he'll get.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:36 AM
1980gold

did he get 20 games already?

1980gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
If Marchand got 5 for flipping Salo, I don't see why this shouldn't get 5 as well. Although all crimes committed against the Rangers never go fully punished, so I'm gonna say 3 games is what he'll get.
Well, they found malicious intent in the Marchand hit. This hit was reckless, but in my opinion, not malicious.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote