HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paterno Passed Away

Old
01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Paterno Passed Away

Joe Paterno passed away early this morning. Thought it was deserving of it's own thread for all you Penn State fans and alumni out there.

https://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT...06925411512320

Quote:
Joe Paterno's family announces his death: "It is with great sadness that we announce that Joe Paterno passed away earlier today."
Espn also reporting. R.I.P.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...?eleven=twelve

Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Joe Paterno, the longtime Penn State coach who won more games than anyone in major college football but was fired amid a child sex abuse scandal that scarred his reputation for winning with integrity, died Sunday. He was 85.

His family released a statement Sunday morning to announce his death: "His loss leaves a void in our lives that will never be filled."

"He died as he lived," the statement said. "He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been. His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them. He was a man devoted to his family, his university, his players and his community."

Paterno built his program on the credo "Success with Honor," and he found both. The man known as "JoePa" won 409 games and took the Nittany Lions to 37 bowl games and two national championships. More than 250 of the players he coached went on to the NFL.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-22-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:46 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
RIP JoePa.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:48 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
RIP Joe Paterno.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

RIP JoePa!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:07 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Long live the Legend. I wish ESPN would stop talking about Sandusky and focus on Paterno's true impact on players and the Penn State community. He's done more good than most people could ever think to do.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I think people can cool off the Sandusky stuff for at least a week right after his death.

01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
i am dave

Rest in peace, Joeseph Vincent Paterno. You are forever loved.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

RIP JoePa.

Hate to say it, but I called this when he was fired. I knew he would die with 6 months.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
FlyerGuy18

Paterno's friend Bear Bryant passes 4 weeks after he retired, Joe passes 4 weeks after PSU's last game of the 2011 season.

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Long live the Legend. I wish ESPN would stop talking about Sandusky and focus on Paterno's true impact on players and the Penn State community. He's done more good than most people could ever think to do.
He walked around that campus every day for years - and saw that monster KNOWING what he had done on his campus. He KNEW what he did. He admitted knowing about it.

For years that piece of excrement walked around that campus continuing to **** boys. And all the while Joe knew. They all knew.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
He walked around that campus every day for years - and saw that monster KNOWING what he had done on his campus. He KNEW what he did. He admitted knowing about it.

For years that piece of excrement walked around that campus continuing to **** boys. And all the while Joe knew. They all knew.
Paterno turned over the information he knew to the head of the campus police. He did what he felt was best at the time. You can look at anything under a microscope and find flaws. Your perception is greatly skewed by the media adding his name to every single Sandusky report.

I'm trying to hold back emotion from this post, but people like you are what lead to the early death of this man. Read the reports and stop listening to the media bias. He has done more good in his life than you'll EVER accomplish in your life.

Old
01-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Paterno turned over the information he knew to the head of the campus police. He did what he felt was best at the time. You can look at anything under a microscope and find flaws. Your perception is greatly skewed by the media adding his name to every single Sandusky report.

I'm trying to hold back emotion from this post, but people like you are what lead to the early death of this man. Read the reports and stop listening to the media bias. He has done more good in his life than you'll EVER accomplish in your life.
I agree with the previous post! If it was your son being molested and all he did was tell his boss and walk away, bet you would be a bit up set! Wonder if that poor boy in the shower thinks Joe Pa did enough! I understand Joe did a lot of good for the University and the State College area but you can't excuse him from his moral responsibility! You also need to understand that people have a right to be upset on his lack of effort to do more then the law requires! Again, think if this was someone you knew!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

85 with lung cancer is early and caused by people being upset with a lack of oversight? Interesting view.

Also, all the good doesn't wash out the bad. He had a noted history sweeping things under the rug. This wasn't the first time something like this happened, it was just the most publicized. What he did on the football field was amazing. His contributions to the university were also great. What he did to help make his football players into the men they are today is also widely recognized as unmatched. However he, and others at the school, made one pretty big error. Yes, he told his superiors. But it also happened under his watch.

You can say up and down that he did all he could and didn't deserve the ultimate fate he received. But to say those who are upset with JoePa and PSU is unwarranted or somehow caused his death is a little bit much. You can talk about all the great things he has done and no one will argue. But you can't ignore the mistakes he made and act like the good absolves him. The man was a great coach and for the vast majority of his life and career he made all the right moves on and off the field. When the man himself admits he was informed and could have done more, it's kind of strange to hear fans say he wasn't informed and did all he could.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Whatever, hate on. If you were in his situation you likely would have done the same thing. Go to someone you felt would handle the situation correctly.

I wish you guys would give Penn State fans their peace and allow us to remember the man for all the good he did.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Whatever, hate on. If you were in his situation you likely would have done the same thing. Go to someone you felt would handle the situation correctly.

I wish you guys would give Penn State fans their peace and allow us to remember the man for all the good he did.
Remember him and mourn all you want, but don't act like the man never did anything wrong. The football world lost a legend today, but just because he was a legend doesn't mean he gets a pass.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
jagrgodr

it's amazing how blinded fans can be, blind loyalty is kind of crazy to me. I don't see how this is in a hockey forum.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Gert B Frobe

Never speak ill of the dead I guess

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 01-22-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:

I will NEVER look the other way while a friend of mine mollests boys. I will NEVER provide a sick predator rapist molester a safe
haven and free access to kids. There's something your saint joe can't say can he? Cheer on penn state grad. You should be ashamed and disgusted with your school and the man who enabled all this to happen. Those boys are ruined forever. They will NEVER recover.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 01-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Paterno actually asked Sandusky to be be banned from campus and was told he didn't have the power to do so. Again, keep hating. Read up on the whole story before you make assumptions. Maybe I'm just upset that his legend was tarnished by a pedophile rapist, but you really can't blame me. The man was like a grandfather to me.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
bdrew18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I will NEVER look the other way while a friend of mine mollests boys. I will NEVER provide a sick predator rapist molester a safe
haven and free access to kids. There's something your saint joe can't say can he? Cheer on penn state grad. You should be ashamed and disgusted with your school and the man who enabled all this to happen. Those boys are ruined forever. They will NEVER recover.
It's like you telling your boss you seen an employee assault a customer and ask that the employee be removed. If your boss does nothing about it, should you be fired and blamed for it as well?

bdrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrew18 View Post
It's like you telling your boss you seen an employee assault a customer and ask that the employee be removed. If your boss does nothing about it, should you be fired and blamed for it as well?
Pretty poor analogy seeing as Paterno would be considered a boss.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Pretty poor analogy seeing as Paterno would be considered a boss.
It's actually a perfect analogy. He went to the person he felt would handle the situation correctly.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
It's actually a perfect analogy. He went to the person he felt would handle the situation correctly.
So did McQueary. I also think what you are looking past is that as head coach of the team, his defensive coordinator was allegedly ****** children for years. Now, JoePa either knew nothing, or knew something, but either way it was going on. No culpability there? Sandusky was one of the higher ranking coaches on the staff, if not the #2 guy behind JoePa. If you want to use a similar analogy to that which was just used, if you are managing a store and you hire an assistant manager and he ***** a bunch of kids at the store with or without your knowledge, no blame rests on the guy in charge who hired him and didn't realize it for years (assuming he was not informed)? And if he was informed he called the corporate headquarters then washed his hands of the whole situation? Come on, man.

I understand you have some kind of connection to the guy (whether it is personal or you are just a PSU grad, I don't know), but the guy does not deserve a free pass. Do you really think that people are just jealous of him and PSU and that is why they are upset with JoePa? Take the blinders off, dude.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Whatever, hate on. If you were in his situation you likely would have done the same thing. Go to someone you felt would handle the situation correctly.I wish you guys would give Penn State fans their peace and allow us to remember the man for all the good he did.
You're right, thats exactly what I would have done. But then when you turn a blind eye and don't have the decency to recognize the situation HAS been or HAS NOT been solved, you don't just sit on your hands and say "Oh well, I told my boss, not my problem"

I would hope for the sake of mankind that the vast majority would be concerned over it, and actually follow through to be sure it stopped and WAS handled correctly.

Paterno simply did not. I would hardly call this death related to the circumstances of this investigation what so ever. He was 85, was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, had a broken pelvis and was facing complications from the medication. Find me an 85 year old that wouldnt die from those medical issues.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote