HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Dan Girardi vs. Dion Phaneuf

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?
Girardi 84 67.74%
Phaneuf 40 32.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2012, 11:47 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Girardi, easily. I hate Phaneuf, he is extremely overrated and a big coward to boot.
There is a difference between a coward and knowing that fighting an irrelevant player will hurt your team more then benefit it. When he needs to fight hell step in, see the Foligno incident.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:50 PM
IBLeaf*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
?

Girardi should win the poll even without taking contracts into consideration, let alone at half the price of Dion.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Affinity

Dan Girardi is a superb shutdown defensemen and has pretty blue eyes. I'll take him.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:54 PM
PresidentCamacho*

With contracts considered, obviously you take Girardi.

He's paid nearly half of Phaneuf but plays twice as hard.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:03 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I love when people say AINEC when the poll is going the other way. Clearly its not AINEC when 65%+ of the vote is in the other players direction.

Honestly, I feel like there a very few times when AINEC is used on this board when it is actually appropriate.

That being said I think it is Girardi. For me when you are the #1 defenseman on a top 5 defense in the league you are probably better than the one in the bottom 5 defense (Obviously there are exceptions) . That's just my opinion though. I could understand if the D was Phaneuf, Aki Berg, Karel Pilar, Cory Cross, Jeff Finger, Brett Lebda...but Phaneuf has a pretty capable defense behind him as does Girardi...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
It must be eating at you that the Rangers are still in first place in the east and just beat Boston in Boston. Oh but shots and stats or something.
Honestly I don't care. The regression is coming but it's not going to be as dramatic as I thought since the Rangers have improved a lot since the beginning of the season.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Girardi is a better player on a better contract.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:04 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Honestly I don't care. The regression is coming but it's not going to be as dramatic as I thought since the Rangers have improved a lot since the beginning of the season.
Tell me how does it feel to be smartest person on HFBoards? You seem to know more than everyone. What are the lotto numbers?

Oh and maybe the Rangers' problem early in the season was the fact that they had to travel to Europe and then Western Canada and not played at home till late October. Can't be.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 01-22-2012 at 01:09 AM.
SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rask View Post
Phaneuf will never get the credit he deserves. And Leaf trolls will love this poll..."GIRARDI OH BUT WITH CONTRACTZ?? LOLZ GIRARDI AINEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"
this...

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Or he can lose against the guy that didn't rely on fans to get into the ASG, and might be the only player to get into the ASG because of defense.
Phaneuf is top 6 in points for D men and logs 25 mins a night. Its safe to say he would have made the game with or without voting.

I love these polls that ask who would you take on your team, taking contracts into consideration. Well, I'm sure majority of the teams can't even take 6.5 mill. How about you ask who has been the better player for a more accurate look at this?

This is similar to the poll last year about anton babchuk @ 1.3 or Phaneuf @ 6.5 and anton won by a landslide. Such a BS way to compare players.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Coward? He fights when he should fight and hits when he should hits. I don't think I've seen a very dirty play by him other than that one on Kassian.

Anyways.. tough to call. Different players. Also Girardi is on one of the best teams in the league so that kinda sways people opinions. I'm sure if Phaneuf was on NY he would be +30 and be regarded as one of the best Dmen in the league.
John Tortorella tends to dislike players who are frequently out of position, chasing pointless hits, and don't use their stick effectively, so I'm not sure what good it does thinking up hypotheticals about Phaneuf being a Ranger.

The Rangers used to have a big problem bringing in inefficient, overrated players, but those days seem to be behind them.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
John Tortorella tends to dislike players who are frequently out of position, chasing pointless hits, and don't use their stick effectively, so I'm not sure what good it does thinking up hypotheticals about Phaneuf being a Ranger.

The Rangers used to have a big problem bringing in inefficient, overrated players, but those days seem to be behind them.
Dion would easily be the best defenseman on your team.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
yeah,no.

he wouldnt even be on the 1st pairing on the Rangers

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Rangers1135

It would be:

Girardi - McD
Phaneuf - Staal

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Kulemon

If this poll was jake gardiner vs girardi it would be gardiner ainec

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
If this poll was jake gardiner vs girardi it would be gardiner ainec
not sure if serious...

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
The Management

I'll take Phaneuf.

Non-stop abuse on these boards, but that's what you get when you consider his contract & the team he players for.

Putting up big points on a pretty terrible team this year. Captain of the most media-frenzied franchise in the league, and he handles it all like a professional. His teammates describe him as a hard worker. He is occasionally prone to risky plays, but he's also a leader on the ice with explosive potential on any given night. There's a reason he has that C on his sweater, and I'm fine with paying Phaneuf the amount he's getting. Even when he was struggling in Calgary, most fans were shocked he was dealt, as were several GMs, some of whom you can be sure would've expressed an interest in this "liability."

Girardi is a great player. I can remember it wasn't all that long ago, though, New York fans were eager to drive him to the airport. He was getting tossed into proposals left and right (still 1/4 as many as Tomas Kaberle). Props to him for flourishing into an asset. He's part of the reason for New York's success, but no doubt the environment is in part reciprocally beneficial: he benefits from playing on one of the top teams in the league, in front of one of the game's best goaltenders and behind a mobile two-way offense.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
Girardi is a great player. I can remember it wasn't all that long ago, though, New York fans were eager to drive him to the airport. He was getting tossed into proposals left and right (still 1/4 as many as Tomas Kaberle). Props to him for flourishing into an asset. He's part of the reason for New York's success, but no doubt the environment is in part reciprocally beneficial: he benefits from playing on one of the top teams in the league, in front of one of the game's best goaltenders and behind a mobile two-way offense.
Some Rangers fans want to trade the whole team. We've got people wanting to trade Lundqvist

Old
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
not sure if serious...
Gardiner is a rookie playing on an entry level deal and has played as well as phaneuf this season. If the leafs had any finish gardiner would have 30+ points this year with all his amazing passes and scoring chances he creates .

Old
01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Gardiner is a rookie playing on an entry level deal and has played as well as phaneuf this season. If the leafs had any finish gardiner would have 30+ points this year with all his amazing passes and scoring chances he creates .
Like Kessel and Lupul who are top 10 in scoring?

Old
01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
yeah,no.

he wouldnt even be on the 1st pairing on the Rangers

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Like Kessel and Lupul who are top 10 in scoring?
Lupul blows so many chances it's hilarious and that's our only line that can score so there you go

Old
01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
It's certainly debatable. It would be hard to split up the top pairing in McDonagh and Girardi as they've been a top 3 pairing in terms of defensive play in the league.

Don't see how he'd 'easily' be our top defenseman.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
How has he played 'just as well' as Phaneuf? Let's wait til the player actually scores a goal before getting the label seriously. Phaneuf is an all-star 2-way defenseman who lines up against other top players in the league, Gardiner is a rookie defenseman who's had an up-and-down season.

If he's played just as well as Phaneuf, why is he not getting the ice time?

Old
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Not so sure what's so laugh-worthy since the Rangers have the best defense pair this season.